Author Topic: mike vallely appreciation thread  (Read 13572 times)

Mr. DNA

Re: mike vallely appreciation thread
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 08:53:24 AM »
His part in New Deal 1281 was one of the biggest inspirations to me along time ago. I liked the way he blasted out of curb cuts. It made me want to blast ollies. I couldn't find the part by itself, but found it with Ed Templeton's part...

http://www.coreaction.com/index.php?page=videos&section=view&vid_id=100769

jacquesknife

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 09:26:34 AM »
personally i rather see someone like vallely doing something out of the ordinary, than see some dude doing the same bag of fliptricks everyone else has got.  not to take away from the guys who got fliptricks but they're a dime a dozen these days and mike v is one in a million.  i think its cool that he completely ignores what everyone else is doing and just does his own thing.             

Yeah, totally. He is a bit of a shit human being at times but full on respect for his skating.

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2220
  • computer says no
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 09:42:47 AM »
I'm a fan and he's a homie for sure. Basically what natenola said, too.

I like his trick selection, he's doing his own shit, and when it comes down to it he's still a really solid skater outside of his odd signature tricks. If anyone here talked to him for five minutes, he'd have you hyped up to fucking skate. Shit, he's fun to skate with too... super amped up and the first dude to push you to "land that shit" if you have a trick just barely avoiding you. I'm not defending anything, no need for it, but I back the dude 100%. 

shakebakedjunt

• Rep: -12
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 10:31:32 AM »
surprised this thread made it to 2 pages

Mr. DNA

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 10:47:49 AM »
I never actually was into the Public Domain part. I liked his Rubbish Heap and Speed Freaks parts a lot though.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 10:48:11 AM »
mike v is just in the air lately, lots of talk and type. as a skater, he definitely has made a huge impact- like him or hate him he has made a unique mark. he's an iconoclast. outside of his skating, yes, way more controversial, and often with good reason. a month ago or so i approached him about doing a feature with us where we look at both his skating life and his non-skating life in an in-depth way, and he agreed. so there's something that will examine all of this in the works, maybe sometime in the spring. more details to follow, but i'm taking it pretty seriously. i know i'm taking a risk in both putting questions to him that he may not like as well as taking a risk in showcasing his skating here where he obviously has his detractors, but i think it's a timely thing to do and it should definitely make for some interesting reading and watching.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »
I dig his old shit but his Black Label parts sucked so bad. You can't do those twirling handplants in the streets! Just don't look right unless you are in a park or something.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

baconeggandcheese

• Rep: 41
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 10:52:16 AM »
That has the makings for a great feature whiteley.
I actually did hit another skater in the face with my shoe once at a demo doing a shoes fly off kickflip but he was cool with it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
  • tiger style
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 10:52:44 AM »
i always find his stuff interesting. thought his berrics clip was interesting to say the least.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2010, 11:35:47 AM »
he must have a ton of money
ONTARIO CANADA

1031cereal

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2010, 01:30:56 PM »
I dig his old shit but his Black Label parts sucked so bad. You can't do those twirling handplants in the streets! Just don't look right unless you are in a park or something.
who says you cant? rules suck thats why we skate, freedom and creativity. leave the rules at the football field

bandini

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2010, 02:33:33 PM »
Looking forward to that interview, Whiteley.

Mike killed it at this demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgWE7dC9uWo

happy face

• Rep: -55
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 02:38:33 PM »
Watch his Union Wheels part.

And while you're at it, watch the Koston, Markovich, and little kid Andrew Reynolds parts. SICK.

But Vallely also kills it in that video. And yes, he flips his board. A lot.
fuck. if your gonna watch anypart in the union video it should be this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLrGISkTfOw

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
who says you cant? rules suck thats why we skate, freedom and creativity. leave the rules at the football field

Yeah...I agree. I am not one to put caps on what or what not to do in skating but there is some stuff that is odd just for what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT_45XGhE1o&feature=player_embedded

Like this hollorado video.....all his shit is dope cause I have never seen it done but at the same time, it is a little silly looking.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

PsychOut

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 03:36:51 PM »
man that show DRIVE, he talks nothing but shit, nearly every trick has a grab in it.

luke_gardner

• Rep: -40
  • Chicagoooo
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 03:42:50 PM »
He has his moments. I like it when he skates and doesn't say much because a lot of the time I am either bored or turned off by what he says because it's just too sugary-sentimental.

I have a ton of respect for Mike V and I always will, no one skates like him. Keep trying to do some cheesy frontside bigspin, kids, he'll do his thing and you do yours.

His new PR campaign is pretty weird. Guess he needs some money, I don't blame him.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2010, 07:47:20 PM »
Another great video from the Union video.  Yeah, I'll name drop because I'm proud to say I skated with Damon Byrd while I was stationed in San Diego.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddWRAPnzLmQ

robasheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2010, 08:26:39 PM »
Expand Quote

And while you're at it, watch the Koston, Markovich, and little kid Andrew Reynolds parts. SICK.

[close]

I hadn't heard the name Todd Congelliere in years until some friends of mine who are in a band in Chicago told me that they were signed to his record label.  WGAF?

Oh yeah...Mike Vallely.  My first pro skateboard was his first pro model.  The proper pronounciation of his last name was always a topic of discussion with my skate friends. 

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2010, 12:08:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I hadn't heard the name Todd Congelliere in years until some friends of mine who are in a band in Chicago told me that they were signed to his record label.  WGAF?

Oh yeah...Mike Vallely.  My first pro skateboard was his first pro model.  The proper pronounciation of his last name was always a topic of discussion with my skate friends. 
A good friend of mine growing up had the same last name, spelling wise at least. He claimed it was pronounce val luh lee. I stick with that one.
Expand Quote
[close]
Who says that we have to skate for freedom and creativity? Fuck your rule!
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2010, 01:33:13 AM »
Gotta admit, that blast over the Brooklyn Bridge Banks wall AND fence deserves appreciation.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

Waxer

• Rep: 2
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2010, 07:31:18 AM »
Mike V is sick! He skates fast and hard! He was, is and will always be a better skater than most of the guys on slap!

To me skateboarding never had rules, it is about different styles, different approaches to skate obstacles/spots. It's about opening your mind and doing whatever you want and not about switch flip backlipping handrails!

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2220
  • computer says no
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2010, 08:20:52 AM »
man that show DRIVE, he talks nothing but shit, nearly every trick has a grab in it.
NEVER HEARD OF IT

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2010, 09:42:15 AM »
Mike V is sick! He skates fast and hard! He was, is and will always be a better skater than most of the guys on slap!

To me skateboarding never had rules, it is about different styles, different approaches to skate obstacles/spots. It's about opening your mind and doing whatever you want and not about switch flip backlipping handrails!

i'd hope that someone with his history in skating would be better than the majority of us, that's just a silly and cliched thing to point out.

and no one is suggesting that there are rules for skaing. if your out skating, do what you like. but filming or shooting photos is another story especially if you're a pro. as soon as you capture what you've done and put it out there as a product then it becomes open for discussion on whether on not it's interesting or entertaining and has to generate some interest in form of sales. to try and dismiss people who say that something is uninteresting to watch as creating "rules" in skating, like they are some how ripping out the rebelous heart of skating is just silly. if mike v wants to skate without "rules" then he should stop being a pro which comes with the burden of skating in an intersting way and do his drum line stuff to his hearts content.

FonSicka

• Rep: 1
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2010, 10:59:36 AM »
I don't understand why there's so much hate on Mike V. He's a classic skater and still going. He has his own style and brings a new twist to old school tricks. It's not like he's not capable of doing more flip tricks, he just chooses not to, and when you skate for that long you end up going through lots of different tricks. At least it's different.

Young skaters hate on the older guys because they didn't grow up watching them. They're not the hot new kid doing the biggest gaps or flipping his board the most times. Maybe Mike V is past his prime, but he's still shredding and inspiring some of us at least.

And what he does outside of skateboarding? He's having fun doing whatever he wants and has a family now.
Haters wish they could live like that.

barkeep11

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -135
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2010, 11:06:33 AM »
mike v is just in the air lately, lots of talk and type. as a skater, he definitely has made a huge impact- like him or hate him he has made a unique mark. he's an iconoclast. outside of his skating, yes, way more controversial, and often with good reason. a month ago or so i approached him about doing a feature with us where we look at both his skating life and his non-skating life in an in-depth way, and he agreed. so there's something that will examine all of this in the works, maybe sometime in the spring. more details to follow, but i'm taking it pretty seriously. i know i'm taking a risk in both putting questions to him that he may not like as well as taking a risk in showcasing his skating here where he obviously has his detractors, but i think it's a timely thing to do and it should definitely make for some interesting reading and watching.

*hits "like" button*

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2010, 11:17:14 AM »
I don't understand why there's so much hate on Mike V. He's a classic skater and still going. He has his own style and brings a new twist to old school tricks. It's not like he's not capable of doing more flip tricks, he just chooses not to, and when you skate for that long you end up going through lots of different tricks. At least it's different.

Young skaters hate on the older guys because they didn't grow up watching them. They're not the hot new kid doing the biggest gaps or flipping his board the most times. Maybe Mike V is past his prime, but he's still shredding and inspiring some of us at least.

And what he does outside of skateboarding? He's having fun doing whatever he wants and has a family now.
Haters wish they could live like that.

i'm guessing you haven't seen the whole "let revolution mother show 14 year old girls what real d i c k is about" rant

AsburyPark

• Rep: 11
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2010, 05:59:23 PM »
Huge influence on how me and my friends came up, especially his part in Public Domain since we all skated all those same spots, rocked like 10 Powell-Peralta Elephant boards in a row and then 10 World Industries Barnyard doublekicks, not until that TV company with Templeton imploded and the Philly scene blew up is when we ceased to be inspired... Vallelly definately started out as a street innovator and contrary to popular opinion, he had/has flip tricks. Not really concerned with his life outside skating, get that money... 
FUCK ALL.

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2010, 06:53:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ray Barbee has "held up"? Explain.

All I ever see any more is pictures of him holding some stupid guitar. LAME.
[close]

I've seen more recent photos of barbie diong better things than i've seen of mike. when's the last time mike did a trick that wasn't nostalgic? and i'm not completely hating on that, but kids who doesn't know ray or lances history could still enjoy their skating while mikes would need a history lesson before it could be appreciated.
[close]

Sure buddy!  I'll make sure to remember that next time I see a new vid with someone doing a foot-plant variation, air-walk, bennihanna, boneless, Madonna or a show-stopper or some kind of sliding-varial-something-or-the-other...

You don't need a history lesson stupid,  you need to get your head out of the sand!

And where exactly are you seeing these recent Ray Barbee photos? Mags? Which ones?

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2010, 03:22:47 AM »
Has anyone here seen the film "Mall Cop"

He made skating look cheezy as fuck, dudes selling out

earlygrab

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2010, 08:11:46 AM »
Has anyone here seen the film "Mall Cop"

He made skating look cheezy as fuck, dudes selling out

It's called acting, it's a job. TV and Movies aren't real. Move on.

Vallely is awesome and deserves more respect than he gets but not as much as he demands.