Author Topic: Skate 3  (Read 266649 times)

Gorilla Flip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Skate 3
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:53:46 PM »
So Skate 3's coming this way and looks like the focus for the new game is "Teams"(or how they call it, "Teamz". What is this, Skate Bratz?). This means Online, you're going to be playing the same (?) gamemodes as before, but with your own team you've formed. Offline, the story is about forming your team and "selling as much boards as possible and getting your brand out".

I understand that we've done the "Become a Pro skater" two times now but really? The whole point of the game is to make a company and make as much money as possible? What is this? Skate Team Manager 2010?

Also judging from the clips from http://skate.ea.com/media.action they've taken the games to even more ridiculous heights as evidenced by the crazy flicking and grinding the characters are doing in the videos. I hope the rumour about a "hardcore" mode where the skating is really realistic is true. Otherwise it looks like this is gonna be a game about skateboard "teamz" and "brandz" as in the videos.

"Ultimately your goal is to sell a million boards in the game". Fuck that. I guess they're trying for the natural progression of a Pro Skater: Be a Nobody, get famous, sell out. They should have made that you win the game by starting a rap career.

For reference points:
Offline Teams video: 00:35
Online Teams video: 01:00

cigarettedeer

Re: Skate 3
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 03:59:21 PM »
It's not like people play the story mode anyway. All's I care about is a new city, some new pros and tricks

raul

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:05:41 PM »
It's not like people play the story mode anyway. All's I care about is a new city, some new pros and tricks

But you have to play the story mode to open up all the spots. I really hope their Hesh Vs. Fresh idea got scrapped.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But you have to play the story mode to open up all the spots. I really hope their Hesh Vs. Fresh idea got scrapped.

it wasnt an idea, it was just examples of two teams playing against each other to demonstrate the team aspects of the game.

thugnificent

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:24:51 PM »
the game looks sick. you're gay.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 05:11:50 PM »
they had better make a signature f/s flip animation for the boss

Jupiter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
pffft

skate 3 looks sick. i know im going to buy it.

stoked on 3rd and Army

sirfinbar

• Rep: -3
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:17:35 PM »
skate 2 is the first video game since goldeneye to stay in my console for over a year straight.

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »
So Skate 3's coming this way and looks like the focus for the new game is "Teams"(or how they call it, "Teamz". What is this, Skate Bratz?). This means Online, you're going to be playing the same (?) gamemodes as before, but with your own team you've formed. Offline, the story is about forming your team and "selling as much boards as possible and getting your brand out".

I understand that we've done the "Become a Pro skater" two times now but really? The whole point of the game is to make a company and make as much money as possible? What is this? Skate Team Manager 2010?

Also judging from the clips from http://skate.ea.com/media.action they've taken the games to even more ridiculous heights as evidenced by the crazy ing and grinding the characters are doing in the videos. I hope the rumour about a "hardcore" mode where the skating is really realistic is true. Otherwise it looks like this is gonna be a game about skateboard "teamz" and "brandz" as in the videos.

"Ultimately your goal is to sell a million boards in the game". Fuck that. I guess they're trying for the natural progression of a Pro Skater: Be a Nobody, get famous, sell out. They should have made that you win the game by starting a rap career.

Whatever man, when you replace the word "team" with "company" it doesn't sound all that far from reality.

And judging from your complaints, it sounds like you're saying that ISuck, Rick Howard, Mike Carroll, Jim Thiebaud, Tommy Guerrero, Mark Gonzales, Julien Stranger, Danny Way, John Lucero, and all the other once-or-current pros are all sellouts. Is it not possible to own a company, pick guys for the team and sell a million board in real life?

I for one am totally stoked on the first two games, and the third looks like it's going to be even better. The big Mega jump shit was there before so it really shouldn't be a surprise that it's there again. People who just want to play video games totally love that shit. You don't have to touch it if you don't want to...
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

NCSB

• Rep: 15
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
judging by all the videos, it looks like the best improvment they made is that when you do flip tricks out of grinds and slides, there not 5 feet in the air.

Livin The Psychedelic Lif

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 08:46:28 PM »
yeah that trailer of him was all right. wasnt feeling the shoes either.
the only person with steez in the game is Carrol- Kickflips on point.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 09:06:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah that trailer of him was all right. wasnt feeling the shoes either.
the only person with steez in the game is Carrol- Kickflips on point.
Gonz had his mob flip in the first game.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Epic

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 09:12:05 PM »
Is their like a list of all the playable pros in the game yet?

Livin The Psychedelic Lif

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 09:14:40 PM »
tru dat about the gonz.
Just wished the filmed more animations for pro skaters.
Just look at how dyrdek pushes in the game- fuckn gross.

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 09:16:13 PM »
Is their like a list of all the playable pros in the game yet?
http://skate.ea.com/profiles.action
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

BriDen

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »
tru dat about the gonz.
Just wished the filmed more animations for pro skaters.
Just look at how dyrdek pushes in the game- fuckn gross.

PJ had a different push and it looked good.
Hsu had tre flips and I think pushing different.
Carroll also had fs shuvs all sick like, and fs feeble/back smith and back tails were all different
Danny way had some christ air thing but who cares
Dill had a quick push and different manuals

I'm sure I'm missing a thing or two.

Expand Quote
[close]

Both skate 1 and 2 had ways to unlock everything without doing story mode.

Gorilla Flip

• Rep: -4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 01:38:53 AM »
skate 2 is the first video game since goldeneye to stay in my console for over a year straight.

Same here, and it's awesome that you don't need to buy another controller to play multiplayer.

And judging from your complaints, it sounds like you're saying that ISuck, Rick Howard, Mike Carroll, Jim Thiebaud, Tommy Guerrero, Mark Gonzales, Julien Stranger, Danny Way, John Lucero, and all the other once-or-current pros are all sellouts. Is it not possible to own a company, pick guys for the team and sell a million board in real life?

Nah I was just throwing it there. There's a lot of great companies that don't overdo it, but even more of those that do. I just don't want to hear about "making tricks so we can sell more boards" shit in my skateboarding videogame. Same goes for "brand and logo design". It's probably only a minor thing in the game and who cares about Career after you've unlocked everything, right? Still kinda irks me. (and who pays money to unlock everything when you can play the game and get the same result?).

It's sick that there's a Create-a-Park possibility. Just don't make it into a THPS with "Teamz" and impossible railcombos and embarrassing teams (TEAM HESH DUUUDDEE). Please don't make the career mode so that everything is a doubles-challenge (Fliptrick over your pal while he's in coffin duddeee). Please let us play multiplayer without the team challenges. Please put more normal spots to multiplayer (just like one good rail and a good box) and a couple of more of the crazy ones (I only played Fun Track in Skate 2 'cos everything else was too hard or too shit). Please let us play our own parks in offline. And Please let us build as big of a park as we want, as long as we have the HD space for it. Finally, fix Xbox live games so I don't have to do 1080 footplants in s.k.a.t.e.

Albinskejt

• Rep: -6
  • Japp
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 02:08:40 AM »
It went downhill after the first game
Check out my original thought: Chris Cole does some ugly tricks and has wack kit! I'm super edgy and interesting because of my controversial opinions.

slickrick

• Rep: -2
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 02:14:33 AM »
still waiting for the grand theft auto / skate hybrid

JonnyG

• Rep: 28
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 02:15:17 AM »
Are you kidding me? The ''High'' camera angle was a really good addition to the game, let alone no complies

jacquesknife

• Rep: -29
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 03:10:05 AM »
Why use z instead of s, it's fucking regular

CrapShoes

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 05:22:26 AM »
the fact that reynolds is in the game should make everyone wanna buy it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 05:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Are you kidding me? The ''High'' camera angle was a really good addition to the game, let alone no complies

being able to walk

Oni0nbelt

• Rep: 3
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 06:43:19 AM »
looks no more ridiculous than the last two games. you don't have to do 50-stair handrails and 900s. skate how you want.

and the stories are always terrible. just get through them for all the spots and then freeskate.

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 08:54:23 AM »
tricks are for kids , style is forever

The Bullet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 08:59:26 AM »
I think the game is gonna be super good.  A lot better then the last one.  Mainly because of hardcore mode.  Here's what an actual skateboarder who played the game said about it:

"Hardcore mode dramatically alters the physics in the game and tunes them down to a really realistic level, so not only do your tricks pop way lower than in normal mode but your speed is cut way down as well. It should take at least 5 pushes with your foot to get to a decently fast speed, so you will mostly be hitting those rails and ledges at a more realistic speed with 3 or so pushes. You can still ollie somewhat high if you flik it it hard enough but it is a little more challenging to get a lot of air. With the physics change comes less grind magnetism. Meaning, everything that is grind-able is way harder to get on. It won't magically suction you to that spot to grind just because you are in proximity with it, you literally will have to line up your trick and land exactly on to the ledge or rail or bank that you are trying to grind on.

Not only is it extremely difficult even for a seasoned Skate veteran like myself but it just makes the game so much more rewarding when you do land that trick that you have been trying to nail for the past half an hour. I cannot stress how much different the game feels when put into hardcore mode. Overall it adds a huge sense of accomplishment even with the simplest tricks or gaps. The physics are tuned down so much that you can actually fail a kick flip on flat ground, something that was not possible in the last two games. That in itself is something a lot of skateboarding realism fans will love. It actually feels like skateboarding—although with a controller—but it nails the realism with hardcore mode. "

(full article:   http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=18534 )

add the park creator feature, and the object dropper thing, and I don't see how it won't be amazing.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »
I really hoped they fixed the walking in this game. It was so jerky and awkward in Skate2
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

The Bullet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 09:01:48 AM »
I really hoped they fixed the walking in this game. It was so jerky and awkward in Skate2

apparently they did.  They also fixed the animation for jumping back onto the board, and now when you push you don't kick your foot way out infront of you when you are done.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 09:03:31 AM »
I think the game is gonna be super good.  A lot better then the last one.  Mainly because of hardcore mode.  Here's what an actual skateboarder who played the game said about it:

"Hardcore mode dramatically alters the physics in the game and tunes them down to a really realistic level, so not only do your tricks pop way lower than in normal mode but your speed is cut way down as well. It should take at least 5 pushes with your foot to get to a decently fast speed, so you will mostly be hitting those rails and ledges at a more realistic speed with 3 or so pushes. You can still ollie somewhat high if you flik it it hard enough but it is a little more challenging to get a lot of air. With the physics change comes less grind magnetism. Meaning, everything that is grind-able is way harder to get on. It won't magically suction you to that spot to grind just because you are in proximity with it, you literally will have to line up your trick and land exactly on to the ledge or rail or bank that you are trying to grind on.

Not only is it extremely difficult even for a seasoned Skate veteran like myself but it just makes the game so much more rewarding when you do land that trick that you have been trying to nail for the past half an hour. I cannot stress how much different the game feels when put into hardcore mode. Overall it adds a huge sense of accomplishment even with the simplest tricks or gaps. The physics are tuned down so much that you can actually fail a kick flip on flat ground, something that was not possible in the last two games. That in itself is something a lot of skateboarding realism fans will love. It actually feels like skateboarding—although with a controller—but it nails the realism with hardcore mode. "

(full article:   http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=18534 )

add the park creator feature, and the object dropper thing, and I don't see how it won't be amazing.

scha WING!

that sounds awesome

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 09:16:51 AM »
thank god but these were all problems that should have been fixed in skate 1 updates.

i would only play hardcore mode. you do realize thrasher was about 15 years aherad of this game right? and it at least has good real spots. 3 games and no love park still? are they regular? what about bk banks? ok we finally got pier 7 and 3rd and army and we had hubba hideout (sorta) and emb.

in thrasher 1 to play hard / expert mode you have to land every single trick by pressing square and if you hit it too early you will fuck up you have to hit it basically right when you land and the bigger the drop the more closely to the time you have to press the square button. just such a better game on so many levels if they could only fix the problems of skate 1... i still gauarantee you will not be able to 270 out of a noseslide both ways comfortably, 1 way will be all awkward looking.

i dont give a shit about being able to play pros i just want more spots. and yes more normal spots not these hundred stair rails. it is great to know that you can finally fail a kickflip on flat but fuck they are turning the speed DOWN on hardcore mode!? you cant even get going fast enough as it is half the time! what the fuck! you should be able to POTENTIALLY get as high as you can in the normal mode it should just require precise timing of the "flick it", and should also require ample time to crouch and actually get the spring for the trick, not just be able to do it quickly after landing another trick unless you want to do it really low (like in thrasher). the thing that sucks about thrasher though is there are some tricks that simply cannot be landed on flat ground in the expert mode unless you get the full pop cause they take too long to rotate etc.

so say you want to do 5050 kickflip out, on hardcore mode, you better be able to pop out pretty high still so long as you give your guy enough time to grind and get balanced, or be able to do it low out if the ledge is short and quick i.e. no set up time. and then say you are doing nose grind nollie flip out you should be able to pop out low and high but it would be difficult to do the high pop out because you are balancing the grind on 2 axis plus entering the sequence for the nollie kickflip out. and naturally no one can nollie flip as high as they can regular kickflip (especially while in nosegrind) so it should limit you in that way as well.
ONTARIO CANADA