Author Topic: Let's Argue About Trick Names  (Read 69060 times)

kevbo999

Let's Argue About Trick Names
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:55:11 AM »
It sucks when you're trying to explain a trick but don't know what to say since the labeling is so jacked.   Feel free to call me stupid but I wish we could call tricks what they really are.

Why do we call them front boards if you're turning backside?  "fs flip to bs boardslide".. yeah, THAT makes sense.  Who came up with that opposite rule anyway?

As for the fakie/nollie thing.. it actually makes a bit of sense.. technically you are riding backwards, so a "bs fakie flip" is technically a "fs halfcab flip"... but like I said, simplicity rules, so if it's actually a bs fakie flip, why not call it that?  Instead of having this weird ass uncertainty in captions like "Do I call it bs halfcab flip, just halfcab flip, bs 180 fakie flip?"

*I almost forgot this one.. why the hell do people call a fakie ollie to switch front nose "fakie back tails".. yeah I get the whole "riding backwards" thing.  It's just so much easier to treat fakie as nollie.. and just know that a fakie bs 5-0 is a fakie ollie to switch back 5-0.  A fakie ollie to switch front nose is a fakie front nose, duh.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:59:41 AM by Otis Shredding »

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Let's Argue About Trick Names
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:04:02 AM »
ugh i dont even want to get into it... the sad thing is people actually get pissed off when you say the name wrong...

if you want people to know exactly what you are talking about say "Blindside" way if there is any discrepancy. that pretty much solves any naming issue .
ONTARIO CANADA

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 09:10:11 AM »
don't be confined to labels. just shred, bro.

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:06:25 AM »
Frontside:Your facing the ledge,curb,rail etc
Backside: well its all behind you.. ledge, rail, curb etc.

and there's no nollie half cab. it should be nollie fs/bs 180/360 since half cabs/full cabs are "fakie" 360's

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:10:25 AM »
I like that "the hard way" has become terminology for tricks over handrails.

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »
Right like in that new Etnies Ad? is that really bad or is "alley oop"?

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 10:15:48 AM »
all f/s and b/s trick names are based on vert skating, or really surfing. it has to do with how you approach the lip, and the way your body faces the edge. for instance, a f/s board-- to do it in a pool, you'd approach it like a f/s 5-0, meaning you come up going f/s, with the front side of your body facing the edge. take it to a rail-- think of the rail as the lip of a ramp, you come at it f/s, because the front side of your body is facing the rail, or the bowl, or whatever you're skating. same goes for backside. because the motion of getting into a f/s board is similar to the motion of a b/s 180 i can see why you'd think it is more related to to b/s tricks, but it's all in the approach. a b/s ollie in a pool or whatever, the back of your body faces the edge, that's why it's backside. making sense?
as for the fakie/nollie thing, it's a little more complex and backwards in it's labeling-- a f/s half cab is "f/s" because of the motion of your body, not the approach of the trick. because the motion is a f/s 180 while going backwards, it's a f/s half cab.
as for the fakie back tail thing, you also have to bear in mind that a lot of trick names came to be before nollie and switch existed. also it's just kind of a skate language no-no to switch between "fakie" and "switch" terminology within the same trick. fakie ollie to switch f/s nose is a perfect example. you start fakie, you should end fakie-- continuous thought and motion. if you start switch, you end switch. therefore, as for the fakie nosegrind tricks-- a fakie ollie to switch b/s 5-0 would be a fakie b/s nosegrind (how your body faces the edge, how you approach).

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 10:35:22 AM »
fs half cabs now called "fakie behind ya" but bring the d & y together to make the jah sound so "fakiebehinjah".

MOUNTAIN

• Rep: 211
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »
We used to skate on a sculpture by Henry Moore. Good times.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 10:41:27 AM »
i dont think they meant the hard way to mean going over rails i think they meant the fact that it was alley oop.
ONTARIO CANADA

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
i dont think they meant the hard way to mean going over rails i think they meant the fact that it was alley oop.

I think that's what I meant.
So alley oop over rails is when you backside flip over a handrail that would be frontside flipped easier?

some ad referred to that as the hard way and I thought it was funny.

DrinkSmokeFight

• Rep: -8
  • where's my chippy? there's my chippy.
    • Drink Smoke Fight avatar image
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 11:32:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So alley oop over rails is when you backside flip over a handrail that would be frontside flipped easier?

i am thinking he came at the rail frontside and f/s flipped it when coming at it backside to f/s flip it would have been easier.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone. - Vonnegut

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 11:46:48 AM »
wow... I understand having a hardtime labeling some fakie slide/grinds and being a little confused by the opposite of nollie and fakie spins before you hear an explanation, but damn.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 11:47:53 AM »
you guys make it sound really complicated. whiteley described the entire thing pretty well although a bit long winded.

alley oop over a rail would be fs 180ing a rail that is in front of you when you are rolling up (so you could fs 5050 it). JT Aultz did a really good bs 180 alley oop a long time ago on tactical manual i believe.  

it comes from ramp skating i think... cause its when you carve up a wall fs and then do a bs air it sends you blind side... allley oop

in basketball its when you catch a pass in the air and score a point is it not ??? weird how they ttransferred that over to skating..
ONTARIO CANADA

dino conflict

• Rep: 13
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 11:48:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i am thinking he came at the rail frontside and f/s flipped it when coming at it backside to f/s flip it would have been easier.

Ive always called it "awkward" when referring to f/s trick over a railing that would be easier to do a b/s trick over or vice versa

like an "awkward front side 180" over the handrail

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 12:07:48 PM »
I used to love it when snowboarders would call tricks 'fakie' when they do a switch trick. I loved it even more when they called switch 180's 'half cabs'.  I romantically love it when girls let me hit it backside.

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 12:14:16 PM »
What about the existence of frontside overcrooks? I'm in the "it's just a nosegrind" group.

cheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 12:17:44 PM »
its a one foot ollie, not an ollie north.

thats the one that i always hate...
http://cheepshit.tumblr.com/
the worst in jacksonville skateboarding

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 12:20:18 PM »
What about the existence of frontside overcrooks? I'm in the "it's just a nosegrind" group.
as far as a fat kid from camp anawana is concerned - it's a frontside nosegrind until it turns noseblunt.

Nic

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 12:23:16 PM »
Yep

Fronstide Suski = 5-0

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 12:24:42 PM »
sorry for being long-winded.

true. sean young did not do f/s overcrooks:

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 12:26:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yep

Fronstide Suski = 5-0

Exactly. And that one in particular kills me. Children just don't undastand.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 12:27:27 PM »
all f/s and b/s trick names are based on vert skating, or really surfing. it has to do with how you approach the lip, and the way your body faces the edge. for instance, a f/s board-- to do it in a pool, you'd approach it like a f/s 5-0, meaning you come up going f/s, with the front side of your body facing the edge. take it to a rail-- think of the rail as the lip of a ramp, you come at it f/s, because the front side of your body is facing the rail, or the bowl, or whatever you're skating. same goes for backside. because the motion of getting into a f/s board is similar to the motion of a b/s 180 i can see why you'd think it is more related to to b/s tricks, but it's all in the approach. a b/s ollie in a pool or whatever, the back of your body faces the edge, that's why it's backside. making sense?
as for the fakie/nollie thing, it's a little more complex and backwards in it's labeling-- a f/s half cab is "f/s" because of the motion of your body, not the approach of the trick. because the motion is a f/s 180 while going backwards, it's a f/s half cab.
as for the fakie back tail thing, you also have to bear in mind that a lot of trick names came to be before nollie and switch existed. also it's just kind of a skate language no-no to switch between "fakie" and "switch" terminology within the same trick. fakie ollie to switch f/s nose is a perfect example. you start fakie, you should end fakie-- continuous thought and motion. if you start switch, you end switch. therefore, as for the fakie nosegrind tricks-- a fakie ollie to switch b/s 5-0 would be a fakie b/s nosegrind (how your body faces the edge, how you approach).

Of course whiteley knows what he's talking about!  Well said.

I tend to use backward nose grind a lot. bs 180 backward nose grind

pattigrapes

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 12:45:24 PM »
in my gay PA hometown one foots were called "shark bites" in the late 80s early 90s and i lived in pittsburgh in 91-92 and one kid could do 360 ollie kickflips like chris cole over hips and on quarterpipes and for some weird reason everyone called it a "chicago flip".? remember wooly mammoths!?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 12:48:33 PM »
I need to hear you say it whitely, a fakie frontside tailslide is the proper name for the commonly referred to "fakie ollie to switch front nose."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:51:09 PM by viva hate »

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 01:01:49 PM »
Boned ollie annoys me. Then you have that varial thing. I like heelflip shove it instead of a varial heel.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 01:08:10 PM »
in my gay PA hometown one foots were called "shark bites" in the late 80s early 90s and i lived in pittsburgh in 91-92 and one kid could do 360 ollie kickflips like chris cole over hips and on quarterpipes and for some weird reason everyone called it a "chicago flip".? remember woolly mammoths!?

best trick name ever.

I need to hear you say it whitely, a fakie frontside tailslide is the proper name for the commonly referred to "fakie ollie to switch front nose."

no, a fakie b/s tailslide is the proper name for a fakie ollie to switch f/s nose. a fakie f/s tailslide would be the equivalent of the fakie ollie to switch b/s nose.

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
this is all making my head hurt....

Just to be sure about this

Half cab = Fakie backside

Otherway = Fakie frontside?

were they ever known as "Half nabs" or was that just the backward town i lived in?

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 01:11:44 PM »

blackalbino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 01:15:34 PM »