Author Topic: Let's Argue About Trick Names  (Read 69066 times)

MexicanSpaniard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Let's Argue About Trick Names
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 01:17:32 PM »
slap was the last place i'd expect to argue about trick names
Why does that girl in your av appear to have no nipple?

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »
this is all making my head hurt....

Just to be sure about this

Half cab = Fakie backside

Otherway = Fakie frontside?

were they ever known as "Half nabs" or was that just the backward town i lived in?

half nabs? no.
half cab= going fakie, 180 with your chest facing forward.
f/s half cab= going fakie, 180 with your back facing forward.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 01:34:01 PM »
So what is wooly mammoth? and a hazard plant?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 02:08:55 PM »
Expand Quote
in my gay PA hometown one foots were called "shark bites" in the late 80s early 90s and i lived in pittsburgh in 91-92 and one kid could do 360 ollie kickflips like chris cole over hips and on quarterpipes and for some weird reason everyone called it a "chicago flip".? remember woolly mammoths!?
[close]

best trick name ever.

Expand Quote
I need to hear you say it whitely, a fakie frontside tailslide is the proper name for the commonly referred to "fakie ollie to switch front nose."
[close]

no, a fakie b/s tailslide is the proper name for a fakie ollie to switch f/s nose. a fakie f/s tailslide would be the equivalent of the fakie ollie to switch b/s nose.

but the object would be on the wrong side in those cases...

blackalbino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 02:12:27 PM »
Expand Quote
slap was the last place i'd expect to argue about trick names
[close]
Why does that girl in your av appear to have no nipple?

weird, i have no idea why. im guessing its because her nip matches her skin tone so its hard to see
i think the self-clap should be more socially acceptable

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 02:20:44 PM »

woolly mammoth is a fakie eggplant where you land with the nose of your board on the deck, like a noseblunt on nothing, and then pull back in. the hazard plant... can't summon that one. invert and air variations is where the names really get sticky...

"but the object would be on the wrong side in those cases..."
true. with fakie i think you have to look at it like how the approach would have been if it wasn't fakie, and then you tack on the approach. labeling for fakie is definitely kinda screwy in some regards.

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 02:31:59 PM »
it's just kind of a skate language no-no to switch between "fakie" and "switch" terminology within the same trick.

i agree, but i do like the fact that gino called his trick in mouse, switch cab tail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDJwM6vOt38

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2010, 03:04:59 PM »
Expand Quote
it's just kind of a skate language no-no to switch between "fakie" and "switch" terminology within the same trick.
[close]

i agree, but i do like the fact that gino called his trick in mouse, switch cab tail.

switch cab back tail works semantically, albeit a little weird, because it doesn't alter between switch and regular within the description. once you're going switch, it is a cab back tail-- it's just a little weird to call something "switch" when you're traveling forwards and going off the nose. on that alone it's a nollie. like calling a nollie f/s 180 a switch half cab-- both are right, but it's awkward. i guess it's not until "switch nollie" or "switch fakie" that the line gets drawn in the sand- that's absolutely illegal. the english language has so many weird rules as is, that on top of all the weird skate terminology and i can't imagine deciphering skate talk in another language.

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2010, 03:13:51 PM »
Expand Quote

were they ever known as "Half nabs" or was that just the backward town i lived in?
[close]

half nabs? no.
half cab= going fakie, 180 with your chest facing forward.
f/s half cab= going fakie, 180 with your back facing forward.
hard to argue since it seems everyone have their own terminology. but here there is no such thing as a fs halfcab. halfcabs are always backside. halfcabflip = fakie bs flip. the other way is just a fakie frontside ollie.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2010, 03:26:56 PM »
I am loving Whiteley's input on these.
Here's one for you- I thought a lien air was a frontside air with a backside grab, why do people call those frontside air nosegrabs lien airs? One is clearly about 1000 times cooler. Proper lien airs where you grab the middle look all sick and tweaked and turned late, so why does that other bullshit get the same title?
Here is one that has been coming up lately: there is no such thing as a backside lien to tail, its called a body jar.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2010, 03:41:27 PM »
"halfcabs are always backside."
that's true. unless they are frontside...
"half cab" implies it's backside in the same way "rock n roll" implies it's backside- that's the way the trick is done- but f/s versions of both exist. a "fakie f/s ollie" is like the technical description of what the trick does. it's not wrong, but it's not the name of the trick. it's like you can call a "helipop" a nollie b/s 360, but it's still a helipop (granted that trick name is hardly used anymore). there's a difference between names and descriptions, although they often overlap because some tricks have weird names and some tricks are just called what their description is.

I am loving Whiteley's input on these.
Here's one for you- I thought a lien air was a frontside air with a backside grab, why do people call those frontside air nosegrabs lien airs? One is clearly about 1000 times cooler. Proper lien airs where you grab the middle look all sick and tweaked and turned late, so why does that other bullshit get the same title?
Here is one that has been coming up lately: there is no such thing as a backside lien to tail, its called a body jar.

aww, thanks gip!
lien air-- strangely, it's both. you can grab anywhere on the heel side of your board from the nose to the tail and it's all "lien" (which incidentally is "neil" backwards, after the inventor, mr. blender). they do seem like different trick though, you are right. seems like most people go to tail when grabbing the nose, and come in straight when grabbing the middle. and yes, definitely no such thing as a b/s lien to tail, that is indeed a body jar, and i think 10x cooler than the f/s version. anybody wanna get into madonnas vs. sean penns???

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2010, 03:43:33 PM »
^alley oop madonna?
What about madollies? What do you call it if you slide?

Mr. DNA

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
Why is popping a goddamn wheelie called a manual? It's been called popping a wheelie since man invented the wheel.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2010, 03:52:40 PM »
Why is popping a goddamn wheelie called a manual? It's been called popping a wheelie since man invented the wheel.
It's too closely associated with riding a bicycle for me to call it that.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2010, 03:53:28 PM »
^alley oop madonna?
What about madollies? What do you call it if you slide?

not a lot of people did alley oop madonnas, but jason jessee comes to mind. so sick. as far as a sean penn goes though, i *think* (my vert terminology is not 100%) that it's a body jar where you kick your front foot off the heel side of the board. then you get into judo/anti-judo/frigid territory and i need to go upstairs and get a vert refresher from ol' four eyes.

madollie tailslide? i think that's all it gets called.

i guess when you ollie into it, it ceases to be a wheelie. i have no idea where "manual" come from, although i think that's another blender title. i don't know, is "kickflip wheelie" cooler than "kickflip manual"? that's up for debate.

*edit: laterd my other option of what a sean penn might be.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:35:55 AM by whiteley »

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2010, 04:01:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

switch cab back tail works semantically, albeit a little weird, because it doesn't alter between switch and regular within the description. once you're going switch, it is a cab back tail-- it's just a little weird to call something "switch" when you're traveling forwards and going off the nose. on that alone it's a nollie. like calling a nollie f/s 180 a switch half cab-- both are right, but it's awkward. i guess it's not until "switch nollie" or "switch fakie" that the line gets drawn in the sand- that's absolutely illegal. the english language has so many weird rules as is, that on top of all the weird skate terminology and i can't imagine deciphering skate talk in another language.

i like it because it gets the point across and is easier to say than nollie 360, but it walks the gray area line, because a cab is a fakie 360, and inserting that into switch cab would then read switch fakie 360.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »
ive always gotten alot of grief for call nollie frontside tricks nollie half cab. like a calling a nollie fs flip a nollie half cab flip or a nollie fs 360 a nollie full cab. never understood why. it sounds so much better that way.

and i got bitched out for calling a varial heel a varial heel instead of a heelflip shuv in the es game of skate last year

Mr. DNA

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2010, 04:19:04 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

i guess when you ollie into it, it ceases to be a wheelie. i have no idea where "manual" come from, although i think that's another blender title. i don't know, is "kickflip wheelie" cooler than "kickflip manual"? that's up for debate.

It's called a kickflip to poppin' a wheelie.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2010, 04:19:58 PM »
My gripe is tricks aren't named ridiculous names anymore.  I want skateboard tricks to have irrelevant yet whimsical sounding names which are slightly grounded in logic.  I want a heelflip indy to be called the turd catcher (since it looks like someone is waiting to grab their shit mid air while squatting over their board).  Bring back these ludicrous names and skateboarding will be better in the end.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
"i like it because it gets the point across and is easier to say than nollie 360, but it walks the gray area line, because a cab is a fakie 360, and inserting that into switch cab would then read switch fakie 360."

exactly. well put.

ive always gotten alot of grief for call nollie frontside tricks nollie half cab. like a calling a nollie fs flip a nollie half cab flip or a nollie fs 360 a nollie full cab. never understood why. it sounds so much better that way.

and i got bitched out for calling a varial heel a varial heel instead of a heelflip shuv in the es game of skate last year

proper terminology aside, i agree that  "nollie half cab flip" sounds better than nollie f/s 180 flips. but whoever bitched you out for calling a varial heel by it's proper name needs to be checked! call it a heel shove if you like, but don't say that varial heel is wrong.

My gripe is tricks aren't named ridiculous names anymore.  I want skateboard tricks to have irrelevant yet whimsical sounding names which are slightly grounded in logic.  I want a heelflip indy to be called the turd catcher (since it looks like someone is waiting to grab their shit mid air while squatting over their board).  Bring back these ludicrous names and skateboarding will be better in the end.

agreed. i wrote an intro to the print mag all about that very topic like five years ago. it's too late now, new tricks get invented so infrequently, but whoever gets next- call it something good!

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2010, 04:27:21 PM »
I just remembered another awesome name from the past that was totally regional.  In Savannah, GA back in the early to mid 90's, frontside 180 nollies were called potheads since the only guys who could do them proper were notorious for being total potheads.

kevbo999

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2010, 04:49:52 PM »
is "kickflip wheelie" cooler than "kickflip manual"? that's up for debate.

Someone should make a fake Brazilian account called Kickflip Manuel.

Mevs

• Rep: 29
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2010, 05:26:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

half nabs? no.

Sorry Whiteley, but in the UK at least switch f/s 180s were often captioned in R.A.D and Sidewalk as "Half Nabs". 360 flips were also sometimes captioned as "Sawblades" - distinctly remember a pic of Matt Pritchard with bleached hair being captioned for that at some comp around '96.

...no, I have no idea why either.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:30:29 PM by Mevs »
mhe-likes.tumblr.com
Instagram: @Mevs82

Boomhauer

• Rep: 43
  • Yep
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2010, 07:26:18 PM »
I like that "the hard way" has become terminology for tricks over handrails.

Or like when doing an alley-oop trick out of a grind. Like a bs 5-0 shovit the hard way, meaning a frontside shovit out.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2010, 07:50:29 PM »
Half nabs was what we called them in Singapore back in those days too. I guess it was during the transition to switch skating when only some tricks were being done switch.

Anyone remember when 50 to switch crooks were called "re-grinds" in 92 or so? Or was that just my friends and I .

'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Boston.

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

woolly mammoth is a fakie eggplant where you land with the nose of your board on the deck, like a noseblunt on nothing, and then pull back in. the hazard plant... can't summon that one. invert and air variations is where the names really get sticky...

okok, but what is an eggplant? the whole handplant/invert terminology confuses the hell out of me. any bit of footage or a sequence would make this easier. this whole forgotten terminology analysis would make a great article

also what's a dumptruck? is it when you air out and plant both feet while stradling your board and hop in fakie?

phillips 66? is that when you roll up fakie and grab the coping with what would be your back hand while grabbing the board with what would be your front hand, and doing a fakie frontside cab back to regular?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:39:57 PM by Boston. »

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2010, 08:02:45 PM »
ok, what do you call that weird nose manual louie did in bag of suck ?

3:47

and that slide thing at 3:57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFA2O5KBzeE
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:14:33 PM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2010, 08:45:46 PM »
my thoughts on the nosegrind/overcrook debate:

if done on a ledge/ hubba, it is a nose grind. there is no over crook.

if done on a rail. it is an overcrook. there are no nose grinds on rails.
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2010, 09:05:09 PM »
my thoughts on the nosegrind/overcrook debate:

if done on a ledge/ hubba, it is a nose grind. there is no over crook.

if done on a rail. it is an overcrook. there are no nose grinds on rails.

agreed.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2010, 09:25:43 PM »
After the last several posts, I suppose it depends on how you grew up skating and who you were with.