Author Topic: Let's Argue About Trick Names  (Read 69051 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Let's Argue About Trick Names
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »
my thoughts on the nosegrind/overcrook debate:

if done on a ledge/ hubba, it is a nose grind. there is no over crook.

if done on a rail. it is an overcrook. there are no nose grinds on rails.
bull fucking shit! I seen Colt Cannon do some really nice balanced frontside nosegrinds down rails.
We used to just call "overcrooks" style ones "snowplow" nosegrinds.

I always thought a Senn Penn was a backside maddona, kicking your foot off in a way comparable to a b/s boneless instead of a frontside one.

I always liked it when people called front foot impossibles "chainsaw flips."

I'm totally guilty of saying "nollie cab." I know its wrong, and don't care. When I say it, people know what I mean.

Also, was "Gersh grind" ever used in a magazine? Always liked that name
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

jalopy james

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2010, 10:02:05 PM »
louie's rad.
KFC should give cockatiels with their variety bucket, so you can eat one bird and love another.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Expand Quote
is "kickflip wheelie" cooler than "kickflip manual"? that's up for debate.
[close]

Someone should make a fake Brazilian account called Kickflip Manuel.

I never got an answer as to who came up w. the name 'manual'....it's funny because for the most part, street skaters didn't name tricks...so maybe it came from ramp....my guess it was neil blender doing them like a roll out wheelie.

I think alleyoop only exists on ramp....kids have no idea what it is....over hips you usually just round up...and w. grinds you 180 in to fakie....

Isn't a hazard very different than a wooly mammoth?  Isn't a hazard: lead hand grabs mute, back hand on ground, front foot on board, back foot on ground. 

I believe the front over crook isn't a trick...the back overcrook is but your better off just going to noseblunt or keeping your nosegrind in order....

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2010, 10:30:56 PM »
tucknee nose manual?
tailblock slide

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2010, 10:55:07 PM »
*massive sigh*

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2010, 11:14:30 PM »
tucknee nose manual?
tailblock slide

I thought these same names for the Louie video.

I always thought that Sean Penns were Madonnas but just backside. Like your front foot still comes off on the heel side, you just don't turn it front side. It's when the front foot comes off the toe side that it becomes a judo. And then an anti-judo is when you kick your front foot off heel side, but don't bring the board up like you would for a Madonna. I've never seen a Sean Penn before, so I might be wrong with that, but I have seen the other three.

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2010, 11:22:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

were they ever known as "Half nabs" or was that just the backward town i lived in?
[close]

half nabs? no.

[close]

Sorry Whiteley, but in the UK at least switch f/s 180s were often captioned in R.A.D and Sidewalk as "Half Nabs".

...no, I have no idea why either.

Same here in Spain (I think because we adopted it from those British Mags), and the explanation was that a Switch-FS-180 was a Half-Cab in position and turn but using the Nose.

It only makes sense as a name if you ignore the Switch Stance concept wich, at that time, was not even crossing our minds.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:25:01 PM by Cosme »

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2010, 11:36:05 PM »
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2010, 12:28:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
this is all making my head hurt....

Just to be sure about this

Half cab = Fakie backside

Otherway = Fakie frontside?

were they ever known as "Half nabs" or was that just the backward town i lived in?
[close]

half nabs? no.

[close]

Sorry Whiteley, but in the UK at least switch f/s 180s were often captioned in R.A.D and Sidewalk as "Half Nabs". 360 flips were also sometimes captioned as "Sawblades" - distinctly remember a pic of Matt Pritchard with bleached hair being captioned for that at some comp around '96.

...no, I have no idea why either.

I remember buying a lot of British magazines from airports back in the day and I must say I was always really puzzled by the trick names they used. It seemed like back then they had their own names for nearly everything. I can't think of any on the spot but there definitely were some wild ones.

And I'm loving Whiteley's input on this as well. Great that you take your time and explain people why this works the way it does. In the future, please step in and set people straight when they make moronic claims such as "it's not a fakie hurricane, it's a fakie fs feeble". Before it was only the Chief these kids listened to, now listen to Whiteley, he knows his shit.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2010, 06:11:10 AM »
Sean Penn is a judo body jar.

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2010, 06:46:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
bull fucking shit! I seen Colt Cannon do some really nice balanced frontside nosegrinds down rails.

Yeah nosegrinds exist on rails

Dirtyjersey

• Rep: -4
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2010, 07:49:27 AM »
Overcrook ain't a trick, it's a weak excuse for a noseblunt.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2010, 09:03:39 AM »
holy crap, lots to catch up on!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So what is wooly mammoth? and a hazard plant?
[close]

woolly mammoth is a fakie eggplant where you land with the nose of your board on the deck, like a noseblunt on nothing, and then pull back in. the hazard plant... can't summon that one. invert and air variations is where the names really get sticky...

[close]
okok, but what is an eggplant? the whole handplant/invert terminology confuses the hell out of me. any bit of footage or a sequence would make this easier. this whole forgotten terminology analysis would make a great article

also what's a dumptruck? is it when you air out and plant both feet while stradling your board and hop in fakie?

phillips 66? is that when you roll up fakie and grab the coping with what would be your back hand while grabbing the board with what would be your front hand, and doing a fakie frontside cab back to regular?

eggplant: think of an indy air invert-- grabbing your toe rail with your back hand, planting with your front, whole thing moves backside. gonz is my favorite eggplanter.
dumptruck: you got it. drehobl crushes them.
phillips66: come up fakie, grab mute (actually "slob" because you're going f/s), spin a f/s cab while planting your back hand. incredibly awkward. pretty much only done well by jeff phillips, who did the best vert bonelesses ever.

ok, what do you call that weird nose manual louie did in bag of suck ?

3:47

and that slide thing at 3:57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFA2O5KBzeE

viva hate got both right. louie's tricks are probably the hardest to label, which rules. love louie.

Expand Quote

[close]

I always thought a Senn Penn was a backside maddona, kicking your foot off in a way comparable to a b/s boneless instead of a frontside one.

I always liked it when people called front foot impossibles "chainsaw flips."

I'm totally guilty of saying "nollie cab." I know its wrong, and don't care. When I say it, people know what I mean.

Also, was "Gersh grind" ever used in a magazine? Always liked that name

full backage of gipper here. nosegrinds, both way, do exist on rails. i don't think people are really trying to call f/s overcrooks by that name though, most people would just say f/s nosegrind, but anybody tweaking out a b/s nosegrind would be quick to claim it as an overcrook. odd...
sean penn: gave this some thought: pretty sure it is the same motion as a madonna, just going backside. so kick your front foot off the heel side while doing a b/s nosegrab air to tail. oyolar, good calls on all that, i think that's all right. layzieyez, you sure? gonna have to do a little research...
nollie cab: yes, i am guilty there too. anybody remember the "gazelle" out of tricks?
gersh grind: definitely remember the term, don't know if i saw it in print though...

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
is "kickflip wheelie" cooler than "kickflip manual"? that's up for debate.
[close]

Someone should make a fake Brazilian account called Kickflip Manuel.
[close]

I never got an answer as to who came up w. the name 'manual'....it's funny because for the most part, street skaters didn't name tricks...so maybe it came from ramp....my guess it was neil blender doing them like a roll out wheelie.

I think alleyoop only exists on ramp....kids have no idea what it is....over hips you usually just round up...and w. grinds you 180 in to fakie....

Isn't a hazard very different than a wooly mammoth?  Isn't a hazard: lead hand grabs mute, back hand on ground, front foot on board, back foot on ground. 

I believe the front over crook isn't a trick...the back overcrook is but your better off just going to noseblunt or keeping your nosegrind in order....

yeah, manual=blender i think.
alley-oop: yeah, ramp term. "the hard way" over rails thing that was discussed yesterday i guess you could call alley-oop, but despite it being a crappy term i'd probably use "the hard way" myself.
hazard vs woolly mammoth: totally different, pretty sure you nailed it.

as for the "half-nab" and all that, i'm gonna go with that term being the Neanderthal cousin of the homo sapien's switch 180, as in it must have died out when the superior genes of the "switch 180" flourished. no offense to the english mags from days of yore, i always liked RAD.

my favorite of the  obscure vert tricks you don't see much:
seatbelt: f/s ollie tailgrab but grab with your front hand. hosoi.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2010, 09:11:03 AM »
HAHAHA gazelles, I tried to call them ballerinas but nobody I skated with was down for that.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2010, 09:11:52 AM »
Remy Stratton was the dude famous for seat belts

Remember, before they were called hubbas, ledges next to stairs were briefly called nibs and jibs? It was snowboard term that was soon dropped because it was stupid.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2010, 09:15:32 AM »
HAHAHA gazelles, I tried to call them ballerinas but nobody I skated with was down for that.

funny, i just asked about "ballerinas" in the b/s no-comply thread, but in reference to spinning no-comply tricks...

Remy Stratton was the dude famous for seat belts

Remember, before they were called hubbas, ledges next to stairs were briefly called nibs and jibs? It was snowboard term that was soon dropped because it was stupid.

true, remy was the famous one, but the best one i ever saw was hosoi. and yeah-- remember the whole TWS article about the difference between nibs and jibs? blarf.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2010, 09:22:31 AM »
The nollie bs 360 where you pivot around instead of being airborne the whole time was referred to as ballerinas or gazebos (name play on gazelle, i think) in ym neighborhood.

Also, there was the Chinese ollie which was a proto nollie where you bumped your front wheels off a crack an popped up the back like a nollie. The there was the Slap Maxwell, which was like a Chinese ollie to grind on a curb.

Galletly

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2010, 09:23:40 AM »
On the wheelie / manual, I'd heard it explained as being a BMX thing:

wheelie - one wheel while pedalling
manual - one wheel while coasting

I don't know anything about bikes so that might not even be right, the skate name could also pre-date the BMX name. But if it is correct, I guess a wheelie on a skateboard would be manualling... while pushing?

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2010, 09:33:45 AM »
are there any bigspin variations called a meatspin ? like a fs bigger spin ?

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2010, 11:23:34 AM »
Damn Whiteley's got it covered I got lost after page 2. There's a reason he's running Slap good work. Egg plant,Jizz plant, half cab, half cocked etc. I'll just go by what he posted. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 11:27:29 AM by remEMBer »

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2010, 11:38:59 AM »
The nollie bs 360 where you pivot around instead of being airborne the whole time was referred to as ballerinas or gazebos (name play on gazelle, i think) in ym neighborhood.

Also, there was the Chinese ollie which was a proto nollie where you bumped your front wheels off a crack an popped up the back like a nollie. The there was the Slap Maxwell, which was like a Chinese ollie to grind on a curb.

those pivoty nollie 360s were gazelles for me, and ballerinas were 180 no-complys. and the chinese ollie (origin of name anybody?)- still do those all the time.

are there any bigspin variations called a meatspin ? like a fs bigger spin ?

never heard of a meatspin! biggerspin for sure, but meatspin is entertaining.

we didn't really touch on many of the boneless/footplant variations yet: creepers, ice plants, bean plants, texas plants, etc... it's a zoo of names in the tranny sector.
hey, does a b/s stalefish have another name? that always seemed virtually impossible to me. BUT i always wanted to see somebody overturn a f/s stalefish into a switch method and come in backwards- now THAT would be sick!

Mr. DNA

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »

You're setting yourself up for a very disturbing and traumatizing experience there....

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2010, 12:36:09 PM »
we didn't really touch on many of the boneless/footplant variations yet: creepers, ice plants, bean plants, texas plants, etc... it's a zoo of names in the tranny sector.
hey, does a b/s stalefish have another name? that always seemed virtually impossible to me. BUT i always wanted to see somebody overturn a f/s stalefish into a switch method and come in backwards- now THAT would be sick!
What about Jolly mambo sex change variel? I never fully got what they were talking about in Animal Chin...

"awe your messed up"

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You're setting yourself up for a very disturbing and traumatizing experience there....

wouldn't be the first time.

Expand Quote
[close]
What about Jolly mambo sex change variel? I never fully got what they were talking about in Animal Chin...

"awe your messed up"

i always took those as two different tricks-- was he combining them there???

tropicks

• Rep: 17
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2010, 04:33:40 PM »
for me the wormhole where the old guard and the new school (early '90s) met and failed each other is the 'fakie crooked grind'/'fakie ollie switch crooked grind'/bizarro nollie crooked grind/etcetera. it's a fakie 5-0 that had no tail-grinding counterpart, and even now there's definitely no good name for it. just to illustrate the break down, in a bonejob way that i'm not siding with, you could even sort of think of it as a fakie suski grind. it's just that the tweaky backside 5-0s that folks have been doing forever weren't even semi-'officially' recognized as something until the late '90s, and even if they would have been, they still would've pre-dated the pointer grind designation. in another barely legal way, a 'fakie crooked grind' would really be like one of those tweaked fakie b/s nosegrinds that kalis does ('fakie ollie switch suski', lulz). in every other instance that i can think of The Rules work, even if they seem awkward -- ba's fakie f/s feeble grind often being mislabeled as a fakie hurricane, or the general concept of a fakie baglady. actually, the whole fakie smith thing on transition sort of doesn't translate to street either.

a fakie b/s tailslide is a fakie b/s tailside, period, but it's true that sometimes there's no way through sheer trick-naming to describe the way someone does something. regarding the way someone faces and distributes their weight, yeah, most do a 'fakie ollie s/s f/s noseslide', but occasionally you'll see someone actually do a true f/s half cab that actually turns blindside and ends in a true backside tailslide facing forward. they're still called the share same thing. sometimes you just gotta go with it/break into the fucking fourth dimension.

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2010, 04:37:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

wouldn't be the first time.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

"awe your messed up"
[close]

i always took those as two different tricks-- was he combining them there???
Yeah I think so but what the hell is Jolly mambo?  and sex change variel is a spread eagle fs shove grab? ahh fuck I don't know.

FigsyLeBon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2010, 04:59:55 PM »
I'm gonna throw my two cents in here and say that I'd always thought that the whole overcrook thing was an invention of the THPS games, am I wrong? also the idea that a nosegrind isn't a nosegrind unless you're balanced a-la Biebel isn't really true, I've seen plenty of people doing them with the tip of the nose firmly planted on greasy ledges and so on.

I think the idea of there being no such thing as nosegrinds on rails is kind of a moot point, I mean, on a round rail the truck has to lock somewhere, so invariably if you're doing a frontside nosegrind on a rail the truck is gonna lock in by the wheel on your heel side, doesn't mean it isn't a nosegrind
Quote from: My penis is on my forehead
damn fam.... yall dont want it with Kalis

Noioso

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2010, 05:11:25 PM »
The FS Overcrook thing is confusing. I never have and never will understand why there is a bs overcrook but not a fs overcrook. Why can people do bs nosegrind on a rail but not fs ones where they are in the center of the rail? I know some one has to be able to do it and they are probably a lot harder. I used to be able to do BS overcrooks on a rail at times but never a bs nosegrind because I would always turn over...I could do them on a ledge, though.

The thing that gets confusing to me is the whole 180 into grind thing. A fs 180 into a switch 5-0, is a fs 180 nosegrind but a nollie fs 180 switch 5-0 is just a nollie 180 switch 5-0...Correct? Is a switch 180 nosegrind a switch 180 5-0 or just a switch 180 nosegrind? What about fake halfcab boardslides and fakie ollie boardslides? Those ones always confuse me, too. I get the fake ollie boardslides but not the other version (like riding backside, then fakie olling into a switch backlip or what?)

Confused.  ???
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

FigsyLeBon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »
trick names are confusing, especially when you get into the type of variations noioso is talking about, the one thing I feel strongly about is the fact that a fs or bs nollie/half cab is dependant on which way you pop it, not whether you're turning blind side or not. as in I see a nollie fs flip as just that, a frontside flip done off the nose
Quote from: My penis is on my forehead
damn fam.... yall dont want it with Kalis

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2010, 08:22:59 PM »
Expand Quote
tucknee nose manual?
tailblock slide
[close]

I thought these same names for the Louie video.

I always thought that Sean Penns were Madonnas but just backside. Like your front foot still comes off on the heel side, you just don't turn it front side. It's when the front foot comes off the toe side that it becomes a judo. And then an anti-judo is when you kick your front foot off heel side, but don't bring the board up like you would for a Madonna. I've never seen a Sean Penn before, so I might be wrong with that, but I have seen the other three.
I thought the difference between a judo and a sean penn was doing it to tail
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out