Author Topic: Let's Argue About Trick Names  (Read 69072 times)

whiteley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Let's Argue About Trick Names
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »
what would you call a fakie ollie to switch feeble? theres gotta be something catchier than that

don't think there's a name for that. and there's no proper way to describe it, either-- both ways cross the line. you either fakie ollie into switch feeble, which crosses the line, or switch nollie feeble, which totally crosses the line. this trick is crushing language!

Expand Quote
what would you call a fakie ollie to switch feeble? theres gotta be something catchier than that
[close]
Fakie baglady?

my understanding of a baglady is that it's lipslide/nosegrind combo, like an ollie into a switch hurricane. so don't think you can do a fakie baglady...

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2010, 12:32:26 PM »

hear me now and believe me later- there is no feeble going backwards! again, with fakie names, it depends how you would have gotten into the position if you had been going forwards- to get into that position going forwards, yes, he would have done a (nearly) 180-- BUT to get into that position from fakie, it does not take a 180. however, he still ends up in the f/s hurricane position. that's why it is a "fakie f/s hurricane." THERE IS NO FAKIE FEEBLE!

I hear and believe you, I just wanted completel clarification. ;D
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Fakie baglady?
[close]

my understanding of a baglady is that it's lipslide/nosegrind combo, like an ollie into a switch hurricane. so don't think you can do a fakie baglady...

so a baglady is kinda like what they call in skate - a overwilly?

BriDen

« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2010, 12:37:14 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Fakie baglady?
[close]

[close]

so a baglady is kinda like what they call in skate - a overwilly?
Correct

jalopy james

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2010, 12:46:45 PM »
this by far is my new favorite thread on slap. sloth in a box was winning there for a long time, but there's shit in here i've never even heard of before.
KFC should give cockatiels with their variety bucket, so you can eat one bird and love another.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2010, 12:57:08 PM »
I'll still claim fakie feeble, either it's fakie feeble and smith or fakie hurricane and sugarcane, can't just pick and choose and then claim that's the way it is.

I also think that if a fakie fs 5-0 is fs then so should a fakie "bs" tail, the obstacle is frontside and it's the same body rotation but going backwards, it should be simple as that
now I know most won't agree, saying it's a fakie ollie into a normal bs tail, and sure put a "to" in there and it's just unnecessary instead of wrong, obstacle is frontside and that should be it, it's the most logical way to name fakie grinds and slides

Mr. DNA

« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2010, 01:06:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

don't think there's a name for that. and there's no proper way to describe it, either-- both ways cross the line. you either fakie ollie into switch feeble, which crosses the line, or switch nollie feeble, which totally crosses the line. this trick is crushing language!

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Fakie baglady?
[close]

I thought a nosegrind/lipslide was first called a New Deal. We called them novacaines. and a sugarcane is like a  270 to fakiesmith/willy grind?

Willy grinds we called Cam grinds because there was this dork named Cam that went to my tried to do a 50-50, but only his front truck made it on the curb and he ended up spraining his neck really bad. One time, in 8th or 9th grade it was talent show day and he told me "I'm doing Summer Girls in the talent show." and I didn't know what he was talking about. Then, come talent show time he lip synced this terrible song , at one point popping up his collar on his acid washed jean jacket. Man, that dude sucked.

and one time I heard Eric J. refer to a bag lady as like when you screw up on a ramp trick and fall, but your feet are still on the board and you have to put your hands down and muscle it in.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2010, 01:09:12 PM »
I also think that if a fakie fs 5-0 is fs then so should a fakie "bs" tail, the obstacle is frontside and it's the same body rotation but going backwards, it should be simple as that
yes, goddamnit

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2010, 01:10:55 PM »
Expand Quote

hear me now and believe me later- there is no feeble going backwards! again, with fakie names, it depends how you would have gotten into the position if you had been going forwards- to get into that position going forwards, yes, he would have done a (nearly) 180-- BUT to get into that position from fakie, it does not take a 180. however, he still ends up in the f/s hurricane position. that's why it is a "fakie f/s hurricane." THERE IS NO FAKIE FEEBLE!
[close]

I hear and believe you, I just wanted completel clarification. ;D

sorry, not trying to be a dick. you ever see hans and franz?

I'll still claim fakie feeble, either it's fakie feeble and smith or fakie hurricane and sugarcane, can't just pick and choose and then claim that's the way it is.

now I know most won't agree, saying it's a fakie ollie into a normal bs tail, and sure put a "to" in there and it's just unnecessary instead of wrong, obstacle is frontside and that should be it, it's the most logical way to name fakie grinds and slides

you're definitely partially (?) right- there is inconsistency in the naming. the fakie smith vs fakie hurricane thing is what made me see that. to be consistent with the way fakie tricks were originally named, i think fakie hurricane is correct, but that fakie smith should actually be called fakie sugarcane. that said it just doesn't seem right because a sugarcane is such a massively over-rotated trick that getting into it fakie with a tiny little shift just doesn't seem right. but i guess technically it is! this may require more research... we've stumbled across something fundamentally incorrect in our language! maybe we need to make a tally of fakie tricks, see how many are named properly and how many are named wrong, and re-title some of them. that said, i doubt anybody will really adopt the new terms. but this is something of note!

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2010, 01:14:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Fakie baglady?
[close]

[close]

I thought a nosegrind/lipslide was first called a New Deal. We called them novacaines. and a sugarcane is like a  270 to fakiesmith/willy grind?

Willy grinds we called Cam grinds because there was this dork named Cam that went to my tried to do a 50-50, but only his front truck made it on the curb and he ended up spraining his neck really bad. One time, in 8th or 9th grade it was talent show day and he told me "I'm doing Summer Girls in the talent show." and I didn't know what he was talking about. Then, come talent show time he lip synced this terrible song , at one point popping up his collar on his acid washed jean jacket. Man, that dude sucked.

and one time I heard Eric J. refer to a bag lady as like when you screw up on a ramp trick and fall, but your feet are still on the board and you have to put your hands down and muscle it in.

for the nosegrind/lipslide combo, i have heard new deal as well. however, i think a novacaine is a 180 to switch feeble, but damn, i think i have seen it used for the same trick as new deal/bag lady. and yes on your sugarcane definition. chris miller!

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2010, 01:16:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yes, goddamnit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qproqejhb9Y

You and me viva hate, you and me

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2010, 01:21:27 PM »
okay, i'm the redhead though.

grizz

• Rep: 1
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2010, 01:28:28 PM »

for the nosegrind/lipslide combo, i have heard new deal as well. however, i think a novacaine is a 180 to switch feeble, but damn, i think i have seen it used for the same trick as new deal/bag lady. and yes on your sugarcane definition. chris miller!

thought the nosegrind/lipslide thing was a losi grind???

Mr. DNA

« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2010, 01:33:24 PM »
Well than what's it's called when you put your left foot in, take your left foot out, put your left foot in and you shake it all about?

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2010, 01:49:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

damnit, that's used too! that trick has WAY too many names. i was thinking this before, but the new deal may be the non-grinding version of that trick, like smith stall vs smith grind. i think mike smith actually only invented the smith stall, and somebody else grinded them first.

oh oh, and i meant to mention this one during the whole jolly mambo thing earlier- who knows what a Fall Guy is?

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2010, 01:59:08 PM »
For some reason in the early '90s everyone in Winnipeg called a 360° flip a "board flip."
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • S&H
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2010, 02:22:57 PM »
that trick must be ancient to be named after this

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2010, 02:31:52 PM »

probably similar vintage actually. but do you know what it is???

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

damnit, that's used too! that trick has WAY too many names. i was thinking this before, but the new deal may be the non-grinding version of that trick, like smith stall vs smith grind. i think mike smith actually only invented the smith stall, and somebody else grinded them first.

oh oh, and i meant to mention this one during the whole jolly mambo thing earlier- who knows what a Fall Guy is?

A New Deal is a stalled nose pivot invented by Neil Blender, according to a Thrasher article from bitd...

And yeah, I get the snl quote now, thanks Wikipedia.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2010, 03:35:37 PM »
"A New Deal is a stalled nose pivot invented by Neil Blender, according to a Thrasher article from bitd..."

maybe a nose pick pivot going to board, which might be where it gets confused with the grinding version- the losi/baglady? but wait, what was the one where you do a nose stall tail grab but in the same motion you nollie b/s 180 and go to disaster? that was a weird early '90s miniramp trick that's coming to mind when i hear "new deal" too..

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2010, 03:36:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

probably similar vintage actually. but do you know what it is???
No, but I assume it looks like something Todd Falcon or Doug Brown would do.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2010, 03:42:07 PM »
Fall Guy= frontside invert to fakie. not revert, but fakie. must be SO hard.
and what about f/s stalefish invert? holy crap. i think i've seen one photo ever of that- ben schroeder.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »
Not flippety doo or spinny at all, damn.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »
Ok, just to fuck with that "it's impossible to do a fakie feeble" thing, what about on tranny? Or would that be called a frontside halfcab feeble?

And its a goddamn fakie back tail because you turn into it. If you started fakie going at a ledge frontside and popped and turned into in a regular 5-0, it would be a backside 5-0. Would you say that a backside 5-0 was frontside because the dude approached it frontside? Its not called a half cab frontside 5-0 in that one, its a half cab backside 5-0. In this one you do a fakie ollie into a regular BACKSIDE tailslide. You can't really do a fakie tailslide, you can only fakie ollie into a tailslide.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2010, 04:35:13 PM »
Ok, just to fuck with that "it's impossible to do a fakie feeble" thing, what about on tranny? Or would that be called a frontside halfcab feeble?

And its a goddamn fakie back tail because you turn into it. If you started fakie going at a ledge frontside and popped and turned into in a regular 5-0, it would be a backside 5-0. Would you say that a backside 5-0 was frontside because the dude approached it frontside? Its not called a half cab frontside 5-0 in that one, its a half cab backside 5-0. In this one you do a fakie ollie into a regular BACKSIDE tailslide. You can't really do a fakie tailslide, you can only fakie ollie into a tailslide.

coming up fakie and starting to turn f/s half cab but stopping short and getting into a normal feeble? i'd call that a f/s half cab feeble, yeah.

the half cab to 5-0 thing is tricky in it's language because you can get into a b/s 5-0 from both a regular half cab (going over the top of the ledge with a little over rotation, like you'd do for a cab back tail) or a f/s half cab (staying on the outside of the ledge with a little under rotation, like an over-rotated fakie back tial)- so you have to be clear which half cab you're talking about.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
coming up fakie and starting to turn f/s half cab but stopping short and getting into a normal feeble? i'd call that a f/s half cab feeble, yeah.

the half cab to 5-0 thing is tricky in it's language because you can get into a b/s 5-0 from both a regular half cab (going over the top of the ledge with a little over rotation, like you'd do for a cab back tail) or a f/s half cab (staying on the outside of the ledge with a little under rotation, like an over-rotated fakie back tial)- so you have to be clear which half cab you're talking about.
Oh for sure, I don't know if I can think of anybody that I have seen do a f/s half cab to b/s 5-0, but I'm sure it can be done. regular half cab to f/s 5-0's are cool as fuck though. I was just saying that a 5-0 can be done fakie or regular, and it is two different tricks, not so with a tailslide.

Here is one for you: What is the proper way to say somebody did something to fakie when they are skating switch. It's always fucking annoying to explain to people. "He backtailed that hubba!" "To fakie or regular?" "It was to fakie, I mean regular, like if it was regular it would be to fakie..." Going back to switch is easy to say- switch backtail back to switch, but the other one throws me.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2010, 05:14:35 PM »
Oh, and I forgot, even if f/s halfcab feeble is what you would call it, would it be wrong to call that a fakie b/s feeble?

BriDen

« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »

Oh for sure, I don't know if I can think of anybody that I have seen do a f/s half cab to b/s 5-0, but I'm sure it can be done. regular half cab to f/s 5-0's are cool as fuck though. I was just saying that a 5-0 can be done fakie or regular, and it is two different tricks, not so with a tailslide.
PJ Ladd, and he's also done it with a heelflip thrown in and with b/s 180 out (separately, not in the same trick)

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »
Whitely-you described a baglady as a nosegrind/lipslide combo. So a fakie ollie to switch feeble would be a fakie bag lady because your tail goes over (as in a fakie back lip) and you're grinding on the nose's truck.

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »
Expand Quote
I've heard people refer to a big flip as a big-spin flip. Just seems unnecessary to have the 'spin' in there. It would make a little more sense if bs flips were called small-spin flips, but they aren't. What do you guys call it? big flip or big-spin flip?
[close]

"big flip" is just short hand for "bigspin kickflip" in the same way "back tail" is short for "backside tailslide." call it whichever, it's like calling somebody Tom or Thomas. but don't call anything "small flip." that's not ok.
and speaking of bigspin stuff, this one hasn't come up yet: the spin-off. it's the opposite of a bigspin, meaning you go 360 and the board goes 180. lotti had

Thanks for clearing that up. I had a feeling it was something like that. And the small-spin flip thing was my dry internet sarcasm  8)
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.