Author Topic: Let's Argue About Trick Names  (Read 68968 times)

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 616
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Let's Argue About Trick Names
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2010, 09:03:04 PM »
Expand Quote
what would you call a fakie ollie to switch feeble? theres gotta be something catchier than that
[close]

just call it a fakie sieben grind...

I thought a Sieben grind was a front 180 switch front feeble.

I've always thought "pop shove-it boardslides" would make more sense than "bigspin boardslides," since you're only rotating it an extra 90 degrees. My reasoning is that a pop shove-it over a hip going backside isn't called a bigspin, even though you're popping it an extra 90 degrees. Anybody feel free to let me know if/why I'm stupid.

Also Whiteley, when did ollie one-foots become ollie norths? Was that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater's doing?

And I agree wholeheartedly that there should be a "meatspin." When I was 13, I used to try this stationary trick that was a f/s shove and my body would rotate 360 frontside. If nobody minds, I'm going to work on those while moving this weekend and call it a meatspin.

grizz

• Rep: 1
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2010, 09:35:47 PM »
definitely heard "ollie north" around the time that one foots became popular: early 90s. Oliver North became a household name just a few years before this due to the Iran Contra affair.   

Hola

• Rep: 56
  • 2NE1
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2010, 09:56:08 PM »
definitely heard "ollie north" around the time that one foots became popular: early 90s. Oliver North became a household name just a few years before this due to the Iran Contra affair.   

when i started skating, one foot ollies were called 'cowboys', at least at the skatepark i went to in arizona

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2010, 09:56:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Ok, just to fuck with that "it's impossible to do a fakie feeble" thing, what about on tranny? Or would that be called a frontside halfcab feeble?

And its a goddamn fakie back tail because you turn into it. If you started fakie going at a ledge frontside and popped and turned into in a regular 5-0, it would be a backside 5-0. Would you say that a backside 5-0 was frontside because the dude approached it frontside? Its not called a half cab frontside 5-0 in that one, its a half cab backside 5-0. In this one you do a fakie ollie into a regular BACKSIDE tailslide. You can't really do a fakie tailslide, you can only fakie ollie into a tailslide.

[close]
coming up fakie and starting to turn f/s half cab but stopping short and getting into a normal feeble? i'd call that a f/s half cab feeble, yeah.

the half cab to 5-0 thing is tricky in it's language because you can get into a b/s 5-0 from both a regular half cab (going over the top of the ledge with a little over rotation, like you'd do for a cab back tail) or a f/s half cab (staying on the outside of the ledge with a little under rotation, like an over-rotated fakie back tial)- so you have to be clear which half cab you're talking about.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ok, just to fuck with that "it's impossible to do a fakie feeble" thing, what about on tranny? Or would that be called a frontside halfcab feeble?

And its a goddamn fakie back tail because you turn into it. If you started fakie going at a ledge frontside and popped and turned into in a regular 5-0, it would be a backside 5-0. Would you say that a backside 5-0 was frontside because the dude approached it frontside? Its not called a half cab frontside 5-0 in that one, its a half cab backside 5-0. In this one you do a fakie ollie into a regular BACKSIDE tailslide. You can't really do a fakie tailslide, you can only fakie ollie into a tailslide.

[close]
coming up fakie and starting to turn f/s half cab but stopping short and getting into a normal feeble? i'd call that a f/s half cab feeble, yeah.

the half cab to 5-0 thing is tricky in it's language because you can get into a b/s 5-0 from both a regular half cab (going over the top of the ledge with a little over rotation, like you'd do for a cab back tail) or a f/s half cab (staying on the outside of the ledge with a little under rotation, like an over-rotated fakie back tial)- so you have to be clear which half cab you're talking about.
[close]
Oh for sure, I don't know if I can think of anybody that I have seen do a f/s half cab to b/s 5-0, but I'm sure it can be done. regular half cab to f/s 5-0's are cool as fuck though. I was just saying that a 5-0 can be done fakie or regular, and it is two different tricks, not so with a tailslide.

Here is one for you: What is the proper way to say somebody did something to fakie when they are skating switch. It's always fucking annoying to explain to people. "He backtailed that hubba!" "To fakie or regular?" "It was to fakie, I mean regular, like if it was regular it would be to fakie..." Going back to switch is easy to say- switch backtail back to switch, but the other one throws me.

like briden said, pj has done it, and i'm sure other have too. i've accidentally grinded a couple trying fakie back tails, but could never intentionally get into one. blast. but true true on the 5-0/tailslide variances in definition.
as for the switch to regular/switch to switch thing, i'd just still go with "to fakie" if the total motion completed is 180, as opposed to back to original direction.

as for the fakie b/s feeble vs f/s half cab feeble, i've never heard it called that going either direction, only the half cab terminology, so i guess i'm gonna make a judgement call here and say yeah, it's wrong. but it's becoming clear i have a personal bias against anything that involves "fakie" and "feeble."

Whitely-you described a baglady as a nosegrind/lipslide combo. So a fakie ollie to switch feeble would be a fakie bag lady because your tail goes over (as in a fakie back lip) and you're grinding on the nose's truck.

hmm, i'd actually go with a fakie novecaine then-- baglady you're closer to a f/s nosegrind, whereas with a novacaine you 180 to switch feeble (i think-- we didn't get 100% certain on that trick definition yet). so fakie into the novacaine makes more positional sense. so yes i guess it does have a reasonable name technically, but damn, i don't think anybody does a lot of these tricks we're talking about at this point!
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
what would you call a fakie ollie to switch feeble? theres gotta be something catchier than that
[close]

just call it a fakie sieben grind...
[close]

I thought a Sieben grind was a front 180 switch front feeble.

I've always thought "pop shove-it boardslides" would make more sense than "bigspin boardslides," since you're only rotating it an extra 90 degrees. My reasoning is that a pop shove-it over a hip going backside isn't called a bigspin, even though you're popping it an extra 90 degrees. Anybody feel free to let me know if/why I'm stupid.

Also Whiteley, when did ollie one-foots become ollie norths? Was that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater's doing?

And I agree wholeheartedly that there should be a "meatspin." When I was 13, I used to try this stationary trick that was a f/s shove and my body would rotate 360 frontside. If nobody minds, I'm going to work on those while moving this weekend and call it a meatspin.

i seem to have missed the entirety of the sieben grind. any points of reference?
this also brings up the barley grind (f/s 180 switch smith) and the bennett grind (b/s 180 switch b/s smith). barley grind came about 10 years earlier, wonder why it didn't just end up a b/s barley grind when bennett did it...

on the bigspin thing, generally you round up- anything over 180 is bigspin. when you do a b/s pop shove over a hip going backside, do you really go more than 180 between the pop and the land? i don't see anybody doing that really... a pop shove-it to boardslide would be really hard and awkward, to get the end you're popping off up and over the rail as it spins towards it. with the bigspin kind, it spins away from it and can spin at an angle, ie not leveling out, so it's easier to get over the rail or whatever and into boardslide.

"ollie north" i remember hearing around the same time as "one foot" but it just didn't catch on as much, i think because it seemed hokey. anybody under 30 know who ollie north the person is? he wasn't cool enough to get a cool trick named after him, i think that's why it wasn't used as much to be honest...

as far as your meat spin, that would be a "f/s spin-off." i mentioned the b/s version earlier in the thread. i think for meat spin we were going with anything greater than a bigger spin. but it's just a joke anyhow, make your own meat spin!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:59:09 PM by whiteley »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 384
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2010, 10:25:30 PM »
make your own meat spin!

Sig'd. Also, the Sieben grind reference comes from a Thrasher article Sieben wrote a few years ago. He claimed all variations of the 180 into switch feeble tricks should be ____ Sieben grind. As for the Bennet grind vs. Barley grind, I think it just got called the Bennett grind because he was the only person doing them for a while.

BriDen

« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »
Expand Quote
make your own meat spin!
[close]
As for the Bennet grind vs. Barley grind, I think it just got called the Bennett grind because he was the only person doing them for a while.
I remember Darrell doing one, maybe in a contest, before Bennett did them and people around here called them Darrell grinds for about 3 weeks.

Whitely, what's the difference between a spin-off and a spin out?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »
I just find the Barley/Bennett grind more logical for naming convention since both popularized their respective trick while riding for Toy Machine and their skating style seems to be the polar opposite of the other (Donny Barley is head shaven and more power while Matt Bennett is a longhair with more finesse).  Also, if Bennett is west coast (I didn't look into his bio much), then that would be even better since Barley is east coast.  Darrell Stanton might have made one first, but I (like most other skateboarders) had never seen one before the Toy Machine video.

lem

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2010, 01:55:32 AM »
So I skimmed real quick this shit, not sure if people have brought these up.

Meatspin is in fact a term already in use. I've heard it from friends in MN, friends in AZ, friends from all over, so I can't really say it's regional or well known, but it's being used in a lot of places. Basically, switch the rotations of the bigspin. Kid does 360, board does 180. Does that have a different name?

As for gazelles, a lot of freestyle folks (The people doing them more often than most) coin MJ's 540 shove 360 bodyvarial a gazelle, that's what I'm heard it's been from EVERYONE. And even more specifically, they say it should be nollie. Biggerspin is just another term for it.

And that "ratherwatch wacky 270 out of grinds" would be pretzel out. Kids took it from snowboarding and bring it up occasionally. I make sure to chew them out for ever thinking that was ok to say.  :P

But I'm curious, A Happy Medium had a lot of them, they ride off and tap their board on the edge real quick. Do they have any kind of term for it? All my MN friends call it a Homoki, but I heard someone say deck check and I personally love that.

clamy

« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2010, 03:21:08 AM »
There's a trick I do on ledges but I don't really know what to call it. Pretty much it's a half cab noseslide 270 shuv out. I usually call it a half cab nose switch front bigspin out. But I'm guessing it's actually a nollie bigspin out. And it'd only be a switch front big out if I did a switch front tail into it first? Even though its the same shuv out?

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -29
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2010, 03:29:52 AM »

Meatspin is in fact a term already in use. I've heard it from friends in MN, friends in AZ, friends from all over, so I can't really say it's regional or well known, but it's being used in a lot of places. Basically, switch the rotations of the bigspin. Kid does 360, board does 180. Does that have a different name?

As for gazelles, a lot of freestyle folks (The people doing them more often than most) coin MJ's 540 shove 360 bodyvarial a gazelle, that's what I'm heard it's been from EVERYONE. And even more specifically, they say it should be nollie. Biggerspin is just another term for it.

And that "ratherwatch wacky 270 out of grinds" would be pretzel out. Kids took it from snowboarding and bring it up occasionally. I make sure to chew them out for ever thinking that was ok to say.  :P

But I'm curious, A Happy Medium had a lot of them, they ride off and tap their board on the edge real quick. Do they have any kind of term for it? All my MN friends call it a Homoki, but I heard someone say deck check and I personally love that.

What you refer to as a meatspin is a spinout. And a pretzel is when you land cross legged. For the last one, deck check sounds good to me.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2607
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2010, 04:27:58 AM »
There's a trick I do on ledges but I don't really know what to call it. Pretty much it's a half cab noseslide 270 shuv out. I usually call it a half cab nose switch front bigspin out. But I'm guessing it's actually a nollie bigspin out. And it'd only be a switch front big out if I did a switch front tail into it first? Even though its the same shuv out?

It's just a 270 shove it out (some would call it a big spin out but there's not a 360 board rotation or a body 180*). It's neither switch nor nollie, even though it's done off the nose...

Now, what about the 270 shoves done a la Anderson in Welcome to Hell, is there a short name for them or is the long explanation necessary?

* Actually, I guess it doesn't matter since a normal shove it out doesn't do a 180...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:29:57 AM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

cheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
nollie hardflip?  according to whitley if you do a hardflip off the nose it would be a nollie varial flip, which doesnt seem right at all.
http://cheepshit.tumblr.com/
the worst in jacksonville skateboarding

VictoriousOG

« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2010, 08:02:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What you refer to as a meatspin is a spinout. And a pretzel is when you land cross legged. For the last one, deck check sounds good to me.

I call em check outs.

BriDen

« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2010, 08:27:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I call em check outs.
Almost everyone in Chicago calls them "Chads" but I'm in no way saying that's the technical term

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2010, 08:33:53 AM »
if there was no karl watson we wouldn't even be discussing half these tricks...

Mr. DNA

« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2010, 08:41:49 AM »

Whitely, what's the difference between a spin-off and a spin out?

A spin off is like Alice or Joanie Loves Chachi and a spin out is when you're doing harsh burnies in your Trans Am and donut into a telephone pole.

watershed

• Rep: -8
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2010, 08:54:57 AM »
Three sixty kickflip varial or tre?
Switch stance backside tailslide or ssbsts?
These are the questions that haunt me in the middle of the night.

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2010, 08:59:21 AM »
360 flip and switch back tail
tricks are for kids , style is forever

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2010, 09:10:43 AM »
*OK, thanks for the reference point on the sieben grinder. as for the barley/bennet thing, yeah, as mentioned later i do agree that they were done by darrell first, and quite possibly others. but whatever, bennett grind it is. anybody else heard them called "bennettars"?

*a spin-off is the board goes 360 person goes 180 in my book. when you're spun out you've done too many drugs made in basements.

*ok, meat spin vs spin-off-- maybe this is more of a regional thing or something, but i've been using and hearing spin-off for that trick since 1990. never heard the meatspin until this thread.

*bigger spin and what mj does are not the same thing-- bigger spin is board goes 540, you still go 180. the board goes 540 and you go 360, i don't know a name for that one. i've never heard what marc does being called a gazelle, but maybe it's a situation where anything 360 pivoty off the nose can be some kind of gazelle. i don't know how certain we can really get with some off this. ACTUALLY WAIT-- i have a weird line to rodney mullen i can try out. i'll see if i can get an answer out of him...

*i have heard "pretzel" for the weird 270 thing, but not often. i have heard "pretzel" being used for leg crossing more often.

*i don't know if the ride-off tail cracks have an official name but they sure are cool. can't get a good one! anybody got the technique?

*clamy- yeah, half cab noseslide 270 shove.

*BA's trick- would have to watch the part to make sure but i remember him doing a f/s tailslide b/s 270 shove. that one?

*nollie hardflip-- what did i say about those? nollie hardflip is a hardflip because it folds inwards, the same way as a regular hardflip, regardless of it being off the nose. nollie varial flip flips outwards, like a nollie f/s flip. it might be best to avoid that trick in general. i've only seen it done beautifully once, by quim cardona over the BB wall, old 411 opener. consequently i ran that trick for awhile afterwards, but it always felt gross. also, does anybody else remember "hardflips" being called "inside flips" when they first appeared?

*and...
360 flip and switch back tail

never ever heard 360 varial flip. that sounds awful.

*oh, and this one is pretty widely known now, but do you know how laser flips got their name?

cheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2010, 09:12:52 AM »
i always assumed because of the sound affects in mike hayes part in time code....

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2607
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2010, 09:28:59 AM »

*BA's trick- would have to watch the part to make sure but i remember him doing a f/s tailslide b/s 270 shove. that one?

Yup.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2010, 09:29:32 AM »
i always assumed because of the sound affects in mike hayes part in time code....

good man.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2010, 09:30:16 AM »

haha gangstarr song on that part

what do you call it when you fakie ollie, but you land in switch fs smith grind, is that a fakie willy??? or what is it when you fakie ollie and land in switch fs willy? is that fakie smith???
ONTARIO CANADA

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2010, 10:21:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

haha gangstarr song on that part

what do you call it when you fakie ollie, but you land in switch fs smith grind, is that a fakie willy??? or what is it when you fakie ollie and land in switch fs willy? is that fakie smith???

1st- i guess the most obvious way would be fakie ollie to switch smith, but since technically that cross the fakie-to-switch terminology line you'd say it's a fakie ollie to barley grind? an ugly one, just like nollie smiths. just kinda weak looking. i do, however, like the fakie ollie into switch salad version, a la joey pepper. name for that one? pepper grind? haha.
2nd- as we discussed yesterday, usually i would have said it's a fakie smith, and honestly i'll probably continue to call it that, but what we figured out is that it might technically be a fakie sugarcane. i still don't feel good about that one though...

here's another one: coming at the ledge frontside, or coming at the corner of a ledge kinda frontside, over-turned f/s 180 nosegrind, so you end up switch backside 5-0, a la scott johnston. that's a sick one with no good name...

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2010, 10:27:43 AM »
That is a sick trick, but I don't have a name for it either. I'd just describe it as an over-turned 180 nosegrind to people. And Whiteley-my name for board goes 540 body goes 360 would be a 360 bigspin. Think of cab bigflips. You would just apply that same logic to other, non-fakie variations.

BriDen

« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2010, 10:34:43 AM »
That is a sick trick, but I don't have a name for it either. I'd just describe it as an over-turned 180 nosegrind to people. And Whiteley-my name for board goes 540 body goes 360 would be a 360 bigspin. Think of cab bigflips. You would just apply that same logic to other, non-fakie variations.
That would be a cab varial flip or a cab kickflip backside shuv? Or do you need to say backside, since if it was frontside it would be called a spinoff?

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2010, 10:51:25 AM »

yeah, me too on the overturner.
360 bigspin kinda works i guess. never really contemplated a name for that.
as for the cab bigflips, do you mean like a fakie bigspin flip, or a cab kickflip where the board turns 540 and you turn 360? i don't think i've ever seen that. i've seen people do it where the board does a 540 flip and the person turns 180, like a fakie bigger flip, but not the whole 360 of the body. that's gnarly.
this also raises the name of the fakie bigspin- i know that one has a ton of names. when i was growing up i heard "charlie brown", "my dick" and "pajama" for that, plus the f/s variants. bu then the nollie variants were just nollie bigspin and nollie f/s bigspin.
and the rick flip vs the nollie bigspin heel...

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2010, 10:58:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That would be a cab varial flip or a cab kickflip backside shuv? Or do you need to say backside, since if it was frontside it would be called a spinoff?

Cab bigflip-4:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlvwfVCNCB0

It's body goes 360 with a 540 flip done riding fakie. And cab bigspins are semi-common. Ryan Gallant does them every once in a while-2:34 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH6qlqx8J2k

Donovan does cab bigflips a fair amount.
Rick flip vs nollie big heel is easy-Rick flips are f/s fakie big heels.

cheep

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2010, 11:02:26 AM »

fs feeble back 270 in or fs feeble allyoop in?

Boston.

« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2010, 11:11:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
a cab kickflip where the board turns 540 and you turn 360? i don't think i've ever seen that. i've seen people do it where the board does a 540 flip and the person turns 180, like a fakie bigger flip, but not the whole 360 of the body. that's gnarly.

that's another pj ladd trick