Author Topic: Let's Argue About Trick Names  (Read 69052 times)

whiteley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Let's Argue About Trick Names
« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2010, 11:15:14 AM »
oh man, had forgotten about that one from pj. amazing. and the gallant one was sick as well. ok, we'll go with cab big spins and cab big flips. word.
on the rick flip stuff, yeah i know what it is, used to love doing them, but i was meaning more along the lines of why aren't the nollie ones called nollie rick flips. just a curiosity question.
and cheep, i'd say f/s feeble b/s 270. i don't know if you can use alley-oop just to get out of a trick, i think it's more just for getting into one or the overall motion of a trick. but i think if you did say f/s feeble alley-oop in people would get it within a couple more seconds...

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #181 on: March 12, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »
i always assumed because of the sound affects in mike hayes part in time code....

here's another interesting fact: nollie lasers (nollie 360 varial heels) were invented before regular lasers (see armando barajas crsuhing them in the early '90s). can you think of any other tricks where the nollie version came before the regular version?

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2010, 12:12:29 PM »
Expand Quote
i always assumed because of the sound affects in mike hayes part in time code....
[close]

here's another interesting fact: nollie lasers (nollie 360 varial heels) were invented before regular lasers (see armando barajas crsuhing them in the early '90s). can you think of any other tricks where the nollie version came before the regular version?

Not nollie but... fakie big spins were being done way before big spins were.  And to be honest, fakie big spins didn't really have a proper name before.  People around here called them my-dicks, my-cunts etc.  Some Rick Howard lingo iirc.

lem

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #183 on: March 12, 2010, 12:43:45 PM »
*ok, meat spin vs spin-off-- maybe this is more of a regional thing or something, but i've been using and hearing spin-off for that trick since 1990. never heard the meatspin until this thread.
Maybe it is regional or just the newer wave of skaters, because I've never heard a spin-off and have only heard meatspin.
*i have heard "pretzel" for the weird 270 thing, but not often. i have heard "pretzel" being used for leg crossing more often.
I've heard the leg crossing as crossfoot, which I guess might be a freestyler's slang for it, since they were the ones who told me about that.
*i don't know if the ride-off tail cracks have an official name but they sure are cool. can't get a good one! anybody got the technique?
By the tapping of the board I mean in the middle, like when you ride off a large drop you smack the middle of the board real quick. But I did see a guy riding by on like, folsom and he did that tail smack thing. Like he rode off and somehow lifted up and his tail hit the curb in a very appealing manner.

clamy

« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2010, 01:28:39 PM »
Rick flip vs nollie big heel is easy-Rick flips are f/s fakie big heels.

Everyone around here used to call fakie f/s big heels Howard flips but never Rick flips. Same but different.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:37:42 PM by clamy »

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2010, 01:36:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not nollie but... fakie big spins were being done way before big spins were.  And to be honest, fakie big spins didn't really have a proper name before.  People around here called them my-dicks, my-cunts etc.  Some Rick Howard lingo iirc.

i remember seeing bigspins and fakie bigspins around the same time, like early h-street days. what were fakie bigspins seen in before that era?

rick flips/howard flips- can anybody recall seeing them done before rick did one down stairs in questionable? seems gnarly that that trick's first appearance would be down a decent amount of stairs. markovich was throwing them down stairs around the same time, like down the 7 at embarcadero in the color video, but not sure if i saw any on flat or anything much before that. did rick do them in anyt blockhead footage?

Ice Cream For Crow

• Rep: 15
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2010, 02:06:41 PM »
I always called a spin off a Lotti because to my knowledge, he was the first guy to do it. Did he actually invent the trick?

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2010, 02:10:06 PM »
I always called a spin off a Lotti because to my knowledge, he was the first guy to do it. Did he actually invent the trick?

quite possible, first i ever saw as well. that's one i could confirm via ocean howell maybe. i think ocean may have invented the bigspin actually. let me check with him on both...

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »
not sure if its been discussed but a fakie ollie to switch back 5-0 is known as a "verdict"
FREE MAX B

Mevs

• Rep: 29
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
rick flips/howard flips- can anybody recall seeing them done before rick did one down stairs in questionable?

I think he did one in Splendid Eye Torture... they used the clip in a Howard DC 411 ad?

Found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3gX9y62s2E
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:09:50 PM by Mevs »
mhe-likes.tumblr.com
Instagram: @Mevs82

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2010, 03:11:58 PM »
must have been in another video or another part of the video 'cause that's not in here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNrwhVmhcLo

but anyhow, at least good to see it was earlier than questionable.

lem

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2010, 03:15:56 PM »
Lottispin! Yeah, I remember that one now. I've always been under the impression Lotti invented it.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2010, 03:17:04 PM »
I believe a nosepick is only a nosepick if you grab out. Otherwise, it's a nose pivot. That's just a personal belief.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2010, 03:18:22 PM »
Expand Quote
rick flips/howard flips- can anybody recall seeing them done before rick did one down stairs in questionable?
[close]

I think he did one in Splendid Eye Torture... they used the clip in a Howard DC 411 ad?

Found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3gX9y62s2E

Nope.  Not splendid eye torture.  Adventures in Cheese.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not nollie but... fakie big spins were being done way before big spins were.  And to be honest, fakie big spins didn't really have a proper name before.  People around here called them my-dicks, my-cunts etc.  Some Rick Howard lingo iirc.
[close]

i remember seeing bigspins and fakie bigspins around the same time, like early h-street days. what were fakie bigspins seen in before that era?

rick flips/howard flips- can anybody recall seeing them done before rick did one down stairs in questionable? seems gnarly that that trick's first appearance would be down a decent amount of stairs. markovich was throwing them down stairs around the same time, like down the 7 at embarcadero in the color video, but not sure if i saw any on flat or anything much before that. did rick do them in anyt blockhead footage?

fakie big spins were around years before big spins.  Even the flip ones.  People were doing them way back.

The first big spin was when?  I can't even remember but I totally remember doing the fakie ones way before the standard one.

Mevs

• Rep: 29
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2010, 03:22:26 PM »
Haha damn, I suddenly thought it might have been Adventures in Cheese and got beaten to the correction. I love the internet
mhe-likes.tumblr.com
Instagram: @Mevs82

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2010, 03:23:03 PM »
Expand Quote
*i don't know if the ride-off tail cracks have an official name but they sure are cool. can't get a good one! anybody got the technique?
[close]
By the tapping of the board I mean in the middle, like when you ride off a large drop you smack the middle of the board real quick. But I did see a guy riding by on like, folsom and he did that tail smack thing. Like he rode off and somehow lifted up and his tail hit the curb in a very appealing manner.

Are you guys talking about firecrackers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtI7MuVsass

mock nugget

• Rep: -12
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2010, 03:30:26 PM »
A long time ago I tried to learn pressure flips and accidentally learned this trick that I've only seen in this pj part, at 1:18:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlvwfVCNCB0
Pressure varial flip? Toe flip? Barrel roll?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2010, 04:08:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Rick flip vs nollie big heel is easy-Rick flips are f/s fakie big heels.
[close]

Everyone around here used to call fakie f/s big heels Howard flips but never Rick flips. Same but different.
My favorite variation of that is calling it a "howard heel"

I always called those feeble 270 things a "feeble rewind." I've also heard alley-oop hurricane, but I don't really like that name.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
regarding dudes fakie noseslide "270" shove, either it's a shove or a big, since it's rotating the same direction as the body, I'd call it a bigspin for sure

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: March 12, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »
I believe a nosepick is only a nosepick if you grab out. Otherwise, it's a nose pivot. That's just a personal belief.

no way, no handed nosepicks totally count and are sick! i saw julien do them on a waist high ledge at a demo in my town in like '89 and have loved them ever since. you're still picking your nose. i'd actually say it's the superior version.

i'd say bigspins showed up in '88, maybe '87. i really don't remember seeing fakie ones before '88, gimme some visual proof! flip ones i don't remember seeing until '89 or so. unless you count rodney mullen. he probably had done all this stuff by '87, but freestyle was seen as another world back then, before it merged with street.

firecrackers- yeah, i have heard them called that but i think of the firecracker as when you do it down a set of multiple stairs, not just off the curb. guess it's pretty much the same thing though. the other one discussed here, the middle of the board thing, seems very weird to me.

don't remember a name for that weird trick pj does, that's some better-left-forgotten shit from 1992. it's like f/s pressure flip that flips the wrong way. pressure varial i guess. yuck.

feeble rewind works for that trick sort of. real "rewind grinds" are fakie 5-0 to fakie on a ramp, as they look like a regular 5-0 but played in rewind. that's an old term though.

on the noseslide shove stuff, a noseslide shove-it would be where the board goes to fakie but your body goes back to forwards. you could say a noseslide to what he's talking about is a bigspin out, but that tricks been called noseslide 270 shove since it was invented. i won't argue that bigspin is "incorrect" but i've never actually heard it called that.

how about 1/2 flips? there are the half flip caspers that ed templeton used to rock, and the 1/2 flip back to regular (w/o the casper) like thiebaud does in speed freaks (we called those "tuna flips" at the time, don't know why, 1/2 flip is probably fine), the 1/2 flip casper version where you turn with it b/s 180 like chris hall does in 1281 i believe... all that crap. then we get into back foot flips, nollie front foot flips, shove-it late kickflips, all the weird 1992 stuff... endless.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
yeah...pretty sure there was a trick tip in thrasher on how to a nosepick and it was no handed, bryce kanights maybe?....there's an animal chin quote too isn't there, 'never do a nosepick with a coper.....buh...' 

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2010, 06:50:44 PM »
that new thing mike mo is doing variations of and down stairs. the like late pressure flip. like the one he did down some set in the skateboard mag's interview for the chocolate video

BriDen

« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2010, 06:58:49 PM »
Late varialflip

VictoriousOG

« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2010, 07:20:30 PM »
Yeah, I definitely need help with these.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2010, 07:32:26 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

if im thinking of the right trick, and its not a firecracker, then around chicago we call them suicide ollies

happy face

• Rep: -55
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2010, 08:12:03 PM »
we called fakie bigspins off the nose hellapods when i was a kid.  and when i learned pressure flips i thought it was called a 1281. i guess that was cause of the video.  one foots were sometimes called ollie norths but it kinda depended witch side of town you lived on.  i lived on both. 

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2010, 08:55:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lottispin! Yeah, I remember that one now. I've always been under the impression Lotti invented it.

I never heard spin-off, but always called them either Lotti spins or spin-outs. I'm pretty sure bigspins were invented by Ocean Howell though. I love talking about this shit.

cheep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2010, 08:59:48 PM »
this is my favorite thread on slap.
http://cheepshit.tumblr.com/
the worst in jacksonville skateboarding

BriDen

« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2010, 09:01:50 PM »
this is my favorite thread on slap.
Definitely my favorite thread at the moment, although it should probably be in the trivia section and merged with the 720 thread

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #209 on: March 12, 2010, 09:48:20 PM »
. ACTUALLY WAIT-- i have a weird line to rodney mullen i can try out. i'll see if i can get an answer out of him...

speaking of which....perhaps there could be a new article regarding trick terminology, have rodney explain a few of the weird ones and try to get some young bucks to land em, also, maybe get some of the vert dogs to run some of the stranger tranny tricks, do an explanation(but not quite a trick tip) and have some young dudes do the same but on a ramp.

i think it'd be interesting.