Author Topic: Let's Argue About Trick Names  (Read 69055 times)

BriDen

Re: Let's Argue About Trick Names
« Reply #270 on: March 26, 2010, 08:29:01 AM »
how about the trick at 3:48?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHGG7Vr1n-8

I always called them alley-oop sugarcanes since they end up grinding the same but you spin the other way to get into them... but I'm sure that's the wrong usage of "alley-oop" ...  Wray grind? They probably have some tranny name involving -cain. Michael Caine?

Also, this one's been mentioned in threads before. 2:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dHYTD8l5JY

Switch back 180 5-0 front shuv, followed by switch back 180 5-0 backside shuv... yeah?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:31:07 AM by Briden »

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #271 on: March 26, 2010, 02:10:54 PM »
Switch the order of those two and you're right.

BriDen

« Reply #272 on: March 26, 2010, 03:15:17 PM »
That's why I brought it up, because Whitely said you can't switch the stance in the middle of the trick. So according to him, the first one would be a switch front shuv going backwards and not a nollie bs shuv because you're technically still switch and not nollie. Unless the "don't switch the stance in the middle of a trick" thing does not apply in this case, which would be altogether even more confusing and fun.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #273 on: March 26, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »
That's why I brought it up, because Whitely said you can't switch the stance in the middle of the trick. So according to him, the first one would be a switch front shuv going backwards and not a nollie bs shuv because you're technically still switch and not nollie. Unless the "don't switch the stance in the middle of a trick" thing does not apply in this case, which would be altogether even more confusing and fun.
I'd say switch backside 180 5-0 shove it, and hope people understood that there is really only 2 possible shove its out of that- f/s and b/s.

Still want to know what you call the "to fakie" part in a switch backside tailslide where you end up back in your natural stance
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #274 on: March 27, 2010, 09:32:01 PM »
How about this one:
bs 360 no comply = chicken in a bucket
anybody heard that one? I hope its legit.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
« Reply #275 on: March 27, 2010, 10:52:25 PM »
How about this one:
bs 360 no comply = chicken in a bucket
anybody heard that one? I hope its legit.

man! I'mma start calling it that! never heard it before
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #276 on: March 28, 2010, 07:54:52 AM »
Expand Quote
how about the trick at 3:48?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHGG7Vr1n-8
[close]

I always called them alley-oop sugarcanes since they end up grinding the same but you spin the other way to get into them... but I'm sure that's the wrong usage of "alley-oop" ...  Wray grind? They probably have some tranny name involving -cain. Michael Caine?

Also, this one's been mentioned in threads before. 2:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dHYTD8l5JY

Switch back 180 5-0 front shuv, followed by switch back 180 5-0 backside shuv... yeah?

jeremy wray's trick is a fakie smith grind....if he 180'd into it you could call it an alley oop....but 180 fakie smith is probably better....

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #277 on: March 28, 2010, 12:53:56 PM »
He did 180 into it, like almost 270. like a cross between a smith and a hurricane.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #278 on: March 28, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »
on tranny I've heard the backside version called "overturn grind"
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

mock nugget

• Rep: -12
« Reply #279 on: March 28, 2010, 02:03:32 PM »
For some reason I thought that trick was called a candycane

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #280 on: March 28, 2010, 02:14:16 PM »
^ I like that a lot more than over-turn. I'm big on the caine/cain titles. I would like to steal BriDen's title and call the full-cab to fs hurricaine the "Michael Caine". Like a cab front board, but over rotate into a hurricaine, yet another obscure miniramp trick I see every now and then.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #281 on: March 29, 2010, 12:12:26 PM »
phew, ok sorry for the absence again.

walker ryan-- my first instinct was to say switch b/s 180 flip to b/s 5-0 but i think switch b/s 180 flip nosegrind is what i'd write in a caption. mainly i think that's the one to go with because if i saw that trick w/o the flip i'd say switch b/s 180 nosegrind for sure.

j wary-- wowwwww. i *almost* for got how good he is in that part. always liked his fakie hardflips, not many people did those well. him, gino, clyde, who else? i still run that trick here and there. anyhow the trick in question: i'd say f/s 180 fakie smith, even though that's technically wrong. anything else describing that trick would just be too hard to explain. maybe f/s 180 to b/s sugarcane could work out though... we could start calling what we've referred to in the past as "fakie smiths" as " fakie smithercanes" so this would be a f/s 180 to smithercane. or not.

stevie-- if it was regular it'd be b/s 180 fakie 5-0 to fakie f/s shove it. so sw b/s 180 fakie 5-0 to f/s shove works but it's weird 'cause the shove would be a fakie shove- and you started the trick off switch, so you shouldn't be using fakie and switch terminology in the same trick. i guess if it's easier to say it could be switch b/s 180 fakie 5-0 to nollie b/s shove, but i don't think i'd say it like that. that's an awkward one. and what i said, or what i meant to say, about switching stance mid trick-- it's not that you can't switch between stances, it's that you can't/shouldn't switch between fakie and switch. like if you start a trick switch, stay switch the whole way- don't use fakie terminology, like people's "fakie ollie to switch f/s nose"-- no. fakie ollie to fakie back tail. so yeah, this one is super linguistically difficult.

candycane- damn it, that's vaguely familiar... to many canes! but i am down for the cab to f/s hurricane to be the michael caine, that's hot. a long time ago i tried to get MJ to try cab to fakie b/s nosegrind- i'm sure people have done that by now, anybody think of any footy?
gipper- i think i tried to hit this one before: i'd call it a switch b/s tail to fakie when you end up back in your regular stance.

mock nugget

• Rep: -12
« Reply #282 on: March 29, 2010, 12:41:26 PM »
This thread is awesome in every way. I always thought the symmetry of skating was interesting, and how many different variations of tricks could come out of the basic shuv its, flips, grinds, etc. The terminology takes some memory when it comes to these weird tricks but it's amazing to think about all the history connected with trick names and origins.

Fakie hardflips...Kenny Reed comes to mind.

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #283 on: March 29, 2010, 09:03:39 PM »
so if a backside madonna is a sean penn, would a frontside judo be a tae kwon do?

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #284 on: March 29, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »
phew, ok sorry for the absence again.

walker ryan-- my first instinct was to say switch b/s 180 flip to b/s 5-0 but i think switch b/s 180 flip nosegrind is what i'd write in a caption. mainly i think that's the one to go with because if i saw that trick w/o the flip i'd say switch b/s 180 nosegrind for sure.

j wary-- wowwwww. i *almost* for got how good he is in that part. always liked his fakie hardflips, not many people did those well. him, gino, clyde, who else? i still run that trick here and there. anyhow the trick in question: i'd say f/s 180 fakie smith, even though that's technically wrong. anything else describing that trick would just be too hard to explain. maybe f/s 180 to b/s sugarcane could work out though... we could start calling what we've referred to in the past as "fakie smiths" as " fakie smithercanes" so this would be a f/s 180 to smithercane. or not.

stevie-- if it was regular it'd be b/s 180 fakie 5-0 to fakie f/s shove it. so sw b/s 180 fakie 5-0 to f/s shove works but it's weird 'cause the shove would be a fakie shove- and you started the trick off switch, so you shouldn't be using fakie and switch terminology in the same trick. i guess if it's easier to say it could be switch b/s 180 fakie 5-0 to nollie b/s shove, but i don't think i'd say it like that. that's an awkward one. and what i said, or what i meant to say, about switching stance mid trick-- it's not that you can't switch between stances, it's that you can't/shouldn't switch between fakie and switch. like if you start a trick switch, stay switch the whole way- don't use fakie terminology, like people's "fakie ollie to switch f/s nose"-- no. fakie ollie to fakie back tail. so yeah, this one is super linguistically difficult.

candycane- damn it, that's vaguely familiar... to many canes! but i am down for the cab to f/s hurricane to be the michael caine, that's hot. a long time ago i tried to get MJ to try cab to fakie b/s nosegrind- i'm sure people have done that by now, anybody think of any footy?
gipper- i think i tried to hit this one before: i'd call it a switch b/s tail to fakie when you end up back in your regular stance.

I think Matt Miller did a nollie cab to back 5-0 at 3rd & army in one of the Seasons videos, I feel like I've seen the regular version. Do you think this would be deserving of it's own weird name?

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #285 on: May 03, 2010, 08:58:09 PM »
1. That wasn't a biggerspin, his body spun one too many times.

2. He got out of that fakie, not switch, since he popped off his nose on the ledge part.]

So... switch bigspin front board, frontside fullcab bigspin out?

Move this one over to the "argue about trick names" thread.

1. isn't a bigger spin a 360 where the board does a 540? obviously out of a front board, you can't go the full 360 and 540, so it would be 270 and 450 respectively. that said, he clearly did a 270 because he ended up switch again, and the board did a 450 shove, so i'd say it is a biggerspin. (my apologies for making this super technical)

2. i considered that too, but i noticed typically on boardslide 270s, people pop off the nose just slightly, yet you wouldn't call it a boardslide nollie 270. i don't know, not really too sure on this one.

BriDen

« Reply #286 on: May 03, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »
Expand Quote
1. That wasn't a biggerspin, his body spun one too many times.

2. He got out of that fakie, not switch, since he popped off his nose on the ledge part.]

So... switch bigspin front board, frontside fullcab bigspin out?

Move this one over to the "argue about trick names" thread.
[close]

1. isn't a bigger spin a 360 where the board does a 540? obviously out of a front board, you can't go the full 360 and 540, so it would be 270 and 450 respectively. that said, he clearly did a 270 because he ended up switch again, and the board did a 450 shove, so i'd say it is a biggerspin. (my apologies for making this super technical)

2. i considered that too, but i noticed typically on boardslide 270s, people pop off the nose just slightly, yet you wouldn't call it a boardslide nollie 270. i don't know, not really too sure on this one.

1. Biggerspin is a body 180, board 540. Whitely set that straight earlier in the thread.

2. I'd say fakie since he popped and shuv'd off the nose, if there was no shuv I would just call it a 270 but it was clearly a fakie front shuv motion out, not like a switch back bigspin

Gomez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
« Reply #287 on: May 03, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »
ah, agreed. basically like a switch noseslide to fakie flip out. so what is a body 360 board 540? 360 biggerspin?

BriDen

« Reply #288 on: May 03, 2010, 09:19:56 PM »
I know the term "360 bigflip" was either used by or agreed upon by whitely to describe a board 540 flip, body 360, so I think it would be 360 bigspin. Personally though, I think it's a terrible-sounding name. I much prefer meatspin.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #289 on: May 03, 2010, 09:36:48 PM »
I've heard the board540+body360 variants referred to as "biggest flips" or "biggest spins", though I sorta cringe every time the someone, or I myself has to say it.

Either way, saying "switch bigspin front board fs halfcab biggest spin" feels like having your face fucked with bad trick selection.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #290 on: May 03, 2010, 10:41:58 PM »
^ I like that a lot more than over-turn. I'm big on the caine/cain titles. I would like to steal BriDen's title and call the full-cab to fs hurricaine the "Michael Caine". Like a cab front board, but over rotate into a hurricaine, yet another obscure miniramp trick I see every now and then.

for like the last decade i've been trying to do a bigspin hurricane so i could call it the 'hurrah-icane'....tyler bledstoe finally did it...on vert they were definitely sugarcanes...chris miller did them...on street...they went nameless...i think the novicane was done though....i remember danny sargeant doing them....alan losi did them on vert...i think they called them losi lipslides...in at least one issue of poweredge....

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #291 on: July 23, 2023, 02:16:12 AM »
. anybody wanna get into madonnas vs. sean penns???

Tony Hawk said a Sean Penn is a bs Madonna .

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #292 on: July 23, 2023, 05:58:23 AM »
I doubt whiteley cares all that much any more he's probably got a family and shit by now
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.