Author Topic: san francisco skate spots by neighborhood article  (Read 13339 times)

Fongstarr.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: san francisco skate spots by neighborhood article
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 08:45:13 AM »
Man...I had no idea that bump to barrier was in Hunter's Point.

Great little interface article. It highlighted a lot o spots that I have never seen before.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 08:57:12 AM »
So sick, SF is the best

I don't care how cliched it is to frontside wallride. That picture is fucking sick. Doing that trick feels amazing.

I've never skated SF, but I'll be there in the Summer for a couple weeks all by myself. Can't wait to skate. I've heard about how gnarly those hills are.

I always think of this clip when thinking about bombing a hill in SF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa85I_5rWBg

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2010, 09:19:40 AM »
Nice article. The Excelsior district is so sick ton's of spots and little things here and there. My moms still lives out there and im a head out there Saturday and I think I might just cruise around there. This really makes me miss the city.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2010, 09:27:58 AM »
Pretty sick article. I love living in SF, and always finding new shit to skate everywhere. For that ben gore photo though, i always thought diamond heights was up off diamond st, like up from glen park but before twin peaks area, idk. So many little neighborhoods, never know where they start or end.

it is, that was a design mistake. i'll get josh (j south, our designer) to reposition. thanks for pointing it out.

Really good article. Can't wait to go to skate SF in the next couple of years. Is there any chance of doing the same sort of article on other places? Like NY or something?

possibly NY, but we just did that big city-wide article a couple months ago...

gipper has the right approach, you'll have way more fun just cruising around the city and finding what you find. that's how it should be skated. it's cool to skate famous spots, but more fun to just go. and yeah, your first experience with SF hills will be a mind opener. once you get past them being scary, they are so much fun. still gotta be careful though, hill slams hurt a little...

I heard that Hunter's Pt. was really sketchy...but also heard that gentrification was going on.  Is there a new area that is getting worse?

SLAP office is basically in HP. during the day it's fine if you just go about your business. at night, you don't want to hang out. people still get blasted and stuck up pretty much daily. we see funerals going several times a week up on 3rd street. it is in the process of gentrification, but it's slow. gonna be hard to get more upscale people to move in out here, not only because of the crime but because the water and soil is toxic due to the proximity of the old naval shipyards where all kinds of nasty stuff went into the ground and water for decades. but it does consistently have the best weather of anywhere in SF, and you get really nice views of the bay, downtown and the bay bridge when you're up on the hill in the projects. plus the oldest skatepark in SF is smack dab in the middle of the projects too! as far as other bad areas, there's plenty- the tenderloin is no picnic- but HP is probably the worst overall.

sean young clip--
here's that same hill bomb, but in the rain:

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2010, 09:38:12 AM »
That wallride is that much better cause it is Jimmy Cao. Never even know that guy to any wall ride. And it is kind of cliche but nice that Alcatraz is in the background as well. Postcard shit for sure.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2010, 09:56:33 AM »

SLAP office is basically in HP. during the day it's fine if you just go about your business. at night, you don't want to hang out. people still get blasted and stuck up pretty much daily. we see funerals going several times a week up on 3rd street. it is in the process of gentrification, but it's slow. gonna be hard to get more upscale people to move in out here, not only because of the crime but because the water and soil is toxic due to the proximity of the old naval shipyards where all kinds of nasty stuff went into the ground and water for decades. but it does consistently have the best weather of anywhere in SF, and you get really nice views of the bay, downtown and the bay bridge when you're up on the hill in the projects. plus the oldest skatepark in SF is smack dab in the middle of the projects too! as far as other bad areas, there's plenty- the tenderloin is no picnic- but HP is probably the worst overall.
[/quote]
When the last time you skated the Dish? Everytime im on the city I want to skate it but memories are real sketch from getting chased by thugs and bottles thrown by dealers getting jacked up on the 44. HP is the worse or maybe Sunnydale? but tons of spots there but you gotta be aware of your surroundings.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 10:13:06 AM »
it's been a hot minute since i skated the dish, probably at least five years. i've been lucky there, never any hassle other than little kids riding motorized scooters like lunatics and throwing stuff at each other. to be honest, i don't know if it's worth going up in that mess just for the dish. you're kinda pushing your luck. the publisher here at high speed got the rear window of his car shot out driving through last year!
for anybody who doesn't know what the dish is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-PQjKVuGUM
starts at 1:58. this is 25 years ago, before crack and glocks added to it's luster...

and here's where it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EAvqpM2cXU
that's a trailer for a super heavy documentary made 5-10 years back. i can look out the window right now and see the projects about 10 blocks up the hill...

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 10:31:55 AM »
Yeah I guess your right. Shit is sketchy there and the cops never go there. I did watch that documenrty called "Straight outta Hunters" which was pretty raw and shows how harsh HP is.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 10:45:04 AM »
Yeah I guess your right. Shit is sketchy there and the cops never go there. I did watch that documenrty called "Straight outta Hunters" which was pretty raw and shows how harsh HP is.
Fuck...I seen that documentary (if it is the same one). They showed this dude in the beginning just in front of a camera thuggin' it out and talkin' all this bammer..and then at the end of the movie, they show the guys funeral. That video is the main reason why I am so bugged out on HP. I even had an interview at Street Corner back in the days and I got lost and asked for some directions at some shop and all those guys told me I was insane to even go there. Like going to this interview meant I could lose my life. Fucking crazy.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

DARIA

• Rep: -60
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »
great article but what about the presidio spots?

highgrade

• Rep: 36
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »
"amber lamps" shout out in that doc

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2010, 01:26:54 PM »

it's not every spot in the city, just a bunch of good ones dan z had to put together. also, the presidio has been sketchy to skate lately because it's partially patrolled by homeland security guys, and that's not a list you wanna get on.

The Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2010, 02:06:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it's not every spot in the city, just a bunch of good ones dan z had to put together. also, the presidio has been sketchy to skate lately because it's partially patrolled by homeland security guys, and that's not a list you wanna get on.

Yeah... it's lame.  Me and a few friends got busted by homeland security for skating that steep bank in the 4star video.  It's stupid that they get all uptight about people skating that place.

Mr. DNA

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2010, 03:39:32 PM »
Why do you hate America?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 03:47:18 PM »
Hunter's point is the probably the most sketchy part of the least sketchy city in the world. About 90% of the poor people of SF moved to Oakland or south city about a decade ago. Not saying I'd want to go out skating the dish at midnight, but there are plenty of worse places.
I've skated the dish before without any problems though.
Also, how many times did Sean Young bomb jones street? What a fucking madman.
Anybody who says f/s wallrides are overdone is a moron. Are ollies overdone? That trick is a staple of cool street skating
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

east is in the house

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »
slap you´ve really been coming through with some awesome articles. love the concept and layout with this. everything that could be said abotu the skating has been said....reeves´trick is mindblowing....

it would be cool if an ariticle similar to this was done for a smaller or more obscure city. even washington DC or baltimore, austin texas.....everyone involved did a dope job and I can´t wait to see more!

Boomhauer

• Rep: 43
  • Yep
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 05:57:47 PM »
plus the oldest skatepark in SF is smack dab in the middle of the projects too!

What's the other skatepark besides Potrero?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 07:01:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The one being talked about here is called the dish, and is in hunter's point. The other park that more people know about is Crocker-Amazon

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2010, 07:10:56 PM »
Hunter's point is the probably the most sketchy part of the least sketchy city in the world. About 90% of the poor people of SF moved to Oakland or south city about a decade ago. Not saying I'd want to go out skating the dish at midnight, but there are plenty of worse places.
Anybody who says f/s wallrides are overdone is a moron. Are ollies overdone? That trick is a staple of cool street skating

if you're talking about me, i was making a joke. so you can staple this dick.

happy face

• Rep: -55
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »
the best thing about sf is that there is something fun to skate on every single block.  no joke!  but the same could be said about anyplace i guess.   its all how you look at it.  so on second thought the best thing about sf is i havent paid for a single skate related thing since i moved here and im not sponsored.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 11:03:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if you're talking about me, i was making a joke. so you can staple this dick.
I was talking about whoever says f/s wallrides are overdone. If it isn't you, don't stress big guy.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010, 11:11:47 PM »
f.s. wallrides are overdone.  8)

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2010, 01:36:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The dish? or maybe crocker amazon?
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

riding bitches

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2010, 02:54:14 AM »
a really really good piece, just like everything on slap.

Noioso

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2010, 04:19:28 AM »
Great article! I'd like to check out some spots but I've lived here for about 8 months and I've skated once. I just skated flat at the end of Market. I don't know anyone that skates, so that's also a huge lack of motivation. I'm sadly way passed my prime for skateboarding and totally suck now. I can still do tricks but they don't come anywhere near as easy as they used to. I haven't skated in 2 months.

The great thing I did do a few months ago was bomb from 19th to the beach. It was literally one of the scariest things I think I've ever done...Weaving through cars, getting bad speed wobbles, hoping I didn't hit a huge crack or some super fucked up ground...Bombing hills are fun but I don't really like to do it because my mind thinks way too much about what could happen.

Sorry for the diary entry.
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
f.s. wallrides are overdone.  8)
moron  :-*

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2011, 08:32:38 PM »
is there anyway to repost this article?

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2011, 02:59:14 AM »
is there anyway to repost this article?

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2011, 07:10:38 AM »
fuck, where'd the article go? I'm moving out there in two weeks and was banking on using it to help me get acclimated to the city. did someone catch wind that their house is on a skate map or something? shit whiteley you need to come through on this!
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

Inbred Jed

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2011, 10:39:31 AM »
Expand Quote
So sick, SF is the best

[close]

I don't care how cliched it is to frontside wallride. That picture is fucking sick. Doing that trick feels amazing.

I've never skated SF, but I'll be there in the Summer for a couple weeks all by myself. Can't wait to skate. I've heard about how gnarly those hills are.

I always think of this clip when thinking about bombing a hill in SF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa85I_5rWBg

My wife works in SF now so I've been going up there on the weekends. Every time I pass Jones ST. I have to look up at that monstrous hill. That's a busy area. I don't know how he survived.