Author Topic: earthquake in Japan  (Read 17670 times)

Donkey Lips

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
Re: earthquake in Japan
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
wow earthquakes, tsunamis, nuclear reactors, and now volcanoes

horrible.

Seriously?

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Dishonest John

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
  • Nya Ah Ahh!
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2011, 11:58:47 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UmotTE-VlY&feature=player_embedded#at=73
YouTube: tamtampamela
Realname: Pamela M Foreman
Address: 15828 Hampton Village Dr
Phone: 813-908-2330

When you are that regular you deserve to get fucked.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467

Frank the Rabbit

• Rep: 5
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2011, 02:39:49 PM »
YouTube: tamtampamela
Realname: Pamela M Foreman
Address: 15828 Hampton Village Dr
Phone: 813-908-2330

When you are that regular you deserve to get fucked.
Please someone call her and post results. I can't since I live in Spain and it's fairly expensive.

Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love.
I'm so high right now, what's going on??

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2011, 09:51:59 AM »
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2011, 10:56:14 AM »
The situation seems to get worse everyday.

RiskyFarts

• Rep: 0

Albatross

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »
at first i wasnt worried about the nuclear situation but im pretty scared now

my friends brother works on the eu stock market, i guess on their news feed from the eu energy board they were told reactors are melting down and the radiation released is going to cause a "new catastrophic event". the gist i got is that its going to be worldwide in scope and the north american west coast will be among the first to feel it.

so i went on a huge internet hunt and here is a bunch of shit i found:

japanese video with subtitles that explains the situation using poop and farts as an analogy  :-X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1aH2-MhEko&feature=player_embedded#at=35

TL;DR of below: spent fuel pools high in radiation are overheating and fucking shit up. they are throwing water at them from helicopters

Japanese Earthquake Update (16 March 22:00 UTC)

Temperature of Spent Fuel Pools at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant

Spent fuel that has been removed from a nuclear reactor generates intense heat and is typically stored in a water-filled spent fuel pool to cool it and provide protection from its radioactivity. Water in a spent fuel pool is continuously cooled to remove heat produced by spent fuel assemblies. According to IAEA experts, a typical spent fuel pool temperature is kept below 25 ˚C under normal operating conditions. The temperature of a spent fuel pool is maintained by constant cooling, which requires a constant power source.

Given the intense heat and radiation that spent fuel assemblies can generate, spent fuel pools must be constantly checked for water level and temperature. If fuel is no longer covered by water or temperatures reach a boiling point, fuel can become exposed and create a risk of radioactive release. The concern about the spent fuel pools at Fukushima Daiichi is that sources of power to cool the pools may have been compromised.

The IAEA can confirm the following information regarding the temperatures of the spent nuclear fuel pools at Units 4, 5 and 6 at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant:

Unit 4
14 March, 10:08 UTC: 84 ˚C
15 March, 10:00 UTC: 84 ˚C
16 March, 05:00 UTC: no data

Unit 5
14 March, 10:08 UTC: 59.7 ˚C
15 March, 10:00 UTC: 60.4 ˚C
16 March, 05:00 UTC: 62.7 ˚C

Unit 6
14 March, 10:08 UTC: 58.0 ˚C
15 March, 10:00 UTC: 58.5 ˚C
16 March, 05:00 UTC: 60.0 ˚C

The IAEA is continuing to seek further information about the water levels, temperature and condition of all spent fuel pool facilities at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

the next link explains how bad the fuel rod situation is. the TLDR is that there are a fuckton of these spent fuel rods that sit in circulating water that has lost power and has now boiled off. they are not in a containment facility and stand to release more radiation than a complete meltdown

http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/16/6281333-whats-the-deal-with-spent-nuclear-fuel

edit: this does get carried by tradewinds directly to vancouver sanfrancisco etc, but it was not worrisome before because there just wasnt enough radiation and it would be high in the atmosphere/dispersed. the fuel rods are capable of much worse, enough to carry harmful doses of radiation well beyond japan

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:46:13 PM by Albatross »

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2011, 03:35:40 AM »
the sea is really close to the reactors i don't understand at the level of worlwide technology with all the drone robots and shit... they can't pump directly sea water continuously in there.and why they didn't do that at first when the radiation was low.
the lack of international quick action response is also appalling for a problem that can potentialy fuck everybody.
looks like everybody is watchig this thing turning into a complete nightmare and only a hundred dudes and a few helicopters are trying to do something??

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2011, 04:13:24 AM »
i cannot speak for other countries, but rescue and help teams from austria are ready and would go down there, but their organisations wont let them because its too dangerous.

also, concerning that water-thing: its not that easy to simply pump water in there and forget about it, the water will be contaminated and if that shit simply goes into the sea or ground water, thats a problem.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2011, 04:43:49 AM »
They can't just huck a ton of water into the pools and call it a day. I believe the water boils off and creates radioactive steam - which normally isn't such a big deal but I think three of the reactors rooftops have been blown off, so they're exposed to the environment.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2011, 04:58:30 AM »
heard a dude on the radio yesterday, he asked the scientist there: "if the core melts into the earth, will it stop somewhere or will it simply go all the way to the earths centre?".

« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2011, 05:13:33 AM »
^^ ffffuuuuu thats gnarley!!

i really need my hyperventilation bag right now.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2011, 05:23:11 AM »
^^ ffffuuuuu thats gnarley!!

i really need my hyperventilation bag right now.

just to make clear, it was a stupid question, the core will not melt all the way to the earths centre.

everybody knows that it will stop in the capitol of the Morlock kingdom.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2011, 05:42:57 AM »
They can't just huck a ton of water into the pools and call it a day. I believe the water boils off and creates radioactive steam - which normally isn't such a big deal but I think three of the reactors rooftops have been blown off, so they're exposed to the environment.

that's what they do,actually and seems to be the only option to keep the radioactive material under water.
wich is crazy when you think about the fact that japanese nuclear plants are the most secure on earth.
i tought since tchernobyl they would have new or radical systems of emergency.well i guess i was wrong...
you have three pumps bringing water to cool down in case of problem and that's it.this is ridiculous.

jay

• Rep: -80
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
I believe the main problem is that there is no electricity to power the pumps in the station because the power grid in the area has failed due to the tsunami.  Once they get the power grid back up and working they can turn the pumps back on in the plant and things should be better.