Author Topic: Starcraft  (Read 5038 times)

palmtree12233

Starcraft
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:06:03 PM »
anyone here play this?pretty much the only game i play now, got the beta for starcraft 2. pretty fucking hyped.
for those who dont know how big this game is, it's the fucking national sport of korea. they broadcast live games and people cry and shit.
anyway discuss the joys of starcraft
ZERG FTW

sage

Re: Starcraft
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 09:11:04 PM »
my life for auir

crest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:33:14 PM »
im in the beta too. i play terran. i got an extra beta key for a slap pal who played starcraft and wants the key.

palmtree12233

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 10:00:41 PM »
im in the beta too. i play terran. i got an extra beta key for a slap pal who played starcraft and wants the key.
i dont wanna sound picky or anything, and i know im not a pal, but if you dont find anyone for the key id really appreciate it. i have access to a key from my brothers friend from work, and if i had a key we would be able to play eachother and with our friends(a couple good friends have it as well) and that would be the shit. if not its all good i still have access to sc2 anyway.
whats your name btw? mine is nerfherder. and yea i when we first got it we had a friend come over and each of us used a diff. race, i went last and got stuck with terran. i used them the whole time but i just started using zerg and  they are fucking easy. how often do you play?

winter sucks

• Rep: -12
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:18:27 AM »
i used to play the lost temple map alot in the 1st SC. How's the new one ?

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:21:43 AM »
any sights of elky?

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:26:27 AM »
Never got into it, but have a Korean friend who does, and yes it is a national sport in Korea.

Warcraft was/is better.

blackalbino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 08:40:03 AM »
the mac version doesn't come out for another month or so. can't wait till blizzard releases the mac beta.
i think the self-clap should be more socially acceptable

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 08:57:35 AM »
ARE YOU GUYS FUCKING SERIOUS YOU GUYS ARE PLAYING THE GAME ALREADY!?!?! I FUCKING HATE YOU!!!! FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
i cannot wait to be playing this game... fuck i have been waiting for this shit for years to drop.

i cant even play starcraft 1 anymore man... koreans have their build orders down so fucking solidly, they actually practice them.
ONTARIO CANADA

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 139
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »
I'd love to get the new one but I'm broke

NOT ENOUGH MINERALS

Also, it's super lame that they're releasing it in parts

STARSHIPtrooper

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 11:03:44 AM »
man i loved playing the custom games as a kid, fuck ive been waiting for this to drop for like 5 years. definitely buying it first day it comes out. if anyone got an extra beta key, holla at me! the new game looks sooo good.

sage

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 01:35:25 PM »
man i loved playing the custom games as a kid, fuck ive been waiting for this to drop for like 5 years. definitely buying it first day it comes out. if anyone got an extra beta key, holla at me! the new game looks sooo good.

sunken D is the shit.

STARSHIPtrooper

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

sunken D is the shit.

fuck yea, evolves and all the tds they could never replicate that well in warcraft. only starcraft had the best custom games.

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »

I LORE FOR COMBAT!
Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 04:51:49 PM »
Warcraft shits on Starcraft so bad. I'll still buy it though.

Inanimate Object

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 07:27:12 PM »
When I was 12 and bought this game in 1998 , I was the dude on battle.net that got MarilynManson as my account name. I wasn't even into him but it was the height of his popularity and it was the most subversive thing pre-teen me could come up with. People would ask me "yo r u the real manson" and I'd be like "yeah dude".  I used to be pretty excellent at this game, playing on ladder and dropping reavers behind your minerals and fucking shit up in general.  I can only hope that my academic schedule and future girlfriend are very understanding of my Starcraft addiction when this shit drops for Mac.

Albatross

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 07:40:33 PM »
i dont want to get into it because its all about knowing shit and i dont wanna deal with the learning curve

wish i could tho

sage

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 07:56:51 PM »
When I was 12 and bought this game in 1998 , I was the dude on battle.net that got MarilynManson as my account name. I wasn't even into him but it was the height of his popularity and it was the most subversive thing pre-teen me could come up with. People would ask me "yo r u the real manson" and I'd be like "yeah dude".  I used to be pretty excellent at this game, playing on ladder and dropping reavers behind your minerals and fucking shit up in general.  I can only hope that my academic schedule and future girlfriend are very understanding of my Starcraft addiction when this shit drops for Mac.

that shit might work on normal maps but on "fast" maps I just built a shitload of cannons and go straight for massive amounts of carriers. it usually works pretty good.

Guardian/mutalisk on zerg is pretty devastating too.

Inanimate Object

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 08:12:55 PM »
Hydralisks are the best. When I get a dog I'm either naming it HUNTER KILLER or KYLE.

STARSHIPtrooper

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 08:49:23 PM »
Hydralisks are the best. When I get a dog I'm either naming it HUNTER KILLER or KYLE.

amazing, i forgot about hunterkiller, that was actually my old childhood friends email back in the day. raynor would make a good dog name.

palmtree12233

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 11:34:08 PM »
ARE YOU GUYS FUCKING SERIOUS YOU GUYS ARE PLAYING THE GAME ALREADY!?!?! I FUCKING HATE YOU!!!! FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
i cannot wait to be playing this game... fuck i have been waiting for this shit for years to drop.

i cant even play starcraft 1 anymore man... koreans have their build orders down so fucking solidly, they actually practice them.
dude battle.net has a new matchmaking system that is good as hell, every game i join im either evenly matched or undermatched.i love it.i just won 3 out of 4 games, something unheard on sc1 where every other game you joined was just getting owned by fucking freak koreans. there's also so many new strategies. zerg hydralisks fucking rape so hard.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 06:55:51 AM »
im probably going to have to buy a new computer to play sc2

i still play 1 every now and again... its pretty all time

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 07:16:47 AM »
one of my best friends just interviewed for a job at battle.net in irvine, california. he meet the blizzard guys at gdc and was pretty stoked on getting to try out starcraft II with the game developers. i played a little back in the day but by the time it came out i had already been playing warcraft and command and conquer for ages and had started to max out and not have enough time to really progress any further (same thing happened with chess, kind of the same idea really). but i definitely could appreciate the next levelness of starcrafts design, just never put the hours in like i did with WC and CC.

i was such a big fan of the genre at the time that i had developed a conceptual design for gang banger RST which had pimps, ho's, slangers, crack heads, ect... the crack heads were the same idea as missle strike in CC where time passed and then you could strike an enemy where ever, except the time to build up the strike in this game was to string out a gang member on crack and then once they turned into a crack head you could them into enemy turf suicide bomber style on a low rider bicycle. it's was called switches and bitches but i never went futher than conceptual design but the design was pretty fleshed out.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 07:34:01 AM »
one of my best friends just interviewed for a job at battle.net in irvine, california. he meet the blizzard guys at gdc and was pretty stoked on getting to try out starcraft II with the game developers. i played a little back in the day but by the time it came out i had already been playing warcraft and command and conquer for ages and had started to max out and not have enough time to really progress any further (same thing happened with chess, kind of the same idea really). but i definitely could appreciate the next levelness of starcrafts design, just never put the hours in like i did with WC and CC.

i was such a big fan of the genre at the time that i had developed a conceptual design for gang banger RST which had pimps, ho's, slangers, crack heads, ect... the crack heads were the same idea as missle strike in CC where time passed and then you could strike an enemy where ever, except the time to build up the strike in this game was to string out a gang member on crack and then once they turned into a crack head you could them into enemy turf suicide bomber style on a low rider bicycle. it's was called switches and bitches but i never went futher than conceptual design but the design was pretty fleshed out.

i am picturing like gta 1 but with squads and shit! dope! great idea!!! the only problem is most guys who are mega into gang banger shit would hate RTS... haha.
ONTARIO CANADA

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 08:41:36 AM »
yeah, they might but nerds tend to like gangster culture and music. and at the time the biggest selling games were all whatever was most shocking and that was the goal that i started with. to make the most shocking game of all time. since i came up with the idea many games have come along and added some of these offensive elements as game play ideas but i don't think i've seen a game yet that has rape as a game play element which this design did.

the design fleshed out more where the charaters were like this

thugs - cheap and best fighters. doesn't make money
slangers - make decent money and decent fighter
pimps - required to have hos but expensive to get. weak fighter. better than ho but worst out of everyone else. but allows making lots of money via ho's.
ho's - make the most cash, worst fighters but lower the cost of buying thugs and slangers, because they love them hos. requires pimp to purchase.

killing an enemy's pimp would get you that pimps ho's in your gang if you had a pimp

and then the resource system would revolve around illegal activities (dealing drugs, car jacking, muggging, prostitution, ect...) and the charater list could be expanded accordingly.

there was also the idea of gang rep. rep lowers the cost of getting gang memebers, drugs and guns. also each purchase of drugs to sell could go sour but having a high rep would reduce the risk of having someone try and screw you. you build rep by doing scandolous shit. randomly killing, robbing or rapping people, killing members of the opposite gangs, tagging, vandalizm, ect... rep would be inversly related to the idea of heat which would involve the cops. basically all of your illegal activites could attract the attention of the cops and result in loss of cash and\or increased heat. so when you do the rep creating activities you also increase your heat. you offset heat by paying of the cops or doing favors for them. you could also incorporate things like tipping off the cops to the enemy gangs which would send cops to a pimps location or crack house in enemy turf but at the same time would lower your rep.

i thought the resource system brought the game together in a way that would elevate the whole premise of the game from being a marketing gimic applied to an existing game into something more concrete that made the game play better than the games it was building off of.

i also did a design for a game that is basically what ea skate is now. i was really suprised it took that long for the industry to do that game, it was so obivous.

i wanted to get into game development in school and took some graduate computer graphics classes with my homie who interviewed at blizzard but gave it up once i releazed i could work half the hours and make double cash in enterprise programming. cash rules everything around me...

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 09:35:50 AM »
yeah, they might but nerds tend to like gangster culture and music. and at the time the biggest selling games were all whatever was most shocking and that was the goal that i started with. to make the most shocking game of all time. since i came up with the idea many games have come along and added some of these offensive elements as game play ideas but i don't think i've seen a game yet that has rape as a game play element which this design did.

pimps - required to have hos but expensive to get. weak fighter. better than ho but worst out of everyone else. but allows making lots of money via ho's.
ho's - make the most cash, worst fighters but lower the cost of buying thugs and slangers, because they love them hos. requires pimp to purchase.

killing an enemy's pimp would get you that pimps ho's in your gang if you had a pimp

and then the resource system would revolve around illegal activities (dealing drugs, car jacking, muggging, prostitution, ect...) and the charater list could be expanded accordingly.

there was also the idea of gang rep. rep lowers the cost of getting gang memebers, drugs and guns. also each purchase of drugs to sell could go sour but having a high rep would reduce the risk of having someone try and screw you. you build rep by doing scandolous shit. randomly killing, robbing or rapping people, killing members of the opposite gangs, tagging, vandalizm, ect... rep would be inversly related to the idea of heat which would involve the cops. basically all of your illegal activites could attract the attention of the cops and result in loss of cash and\or increased heat. so when you do the rep creating activities you also increase your heat. you offset heat by paying of the cops or doing favors for them. you could also incorporate things like tipping off the cops to the enemy gangs which would send cops to a pimps location or crack house in enemy turf but at the same time would lower your rep.

i thought the resource system brought the game together in a way that would elevate the whole premise of the game from being a marketing gimic applied to an existing game into something more concrete that made the game play better than the games it was building off of.

i also did a design for a game that is basically what ea skate is now. i was really suprised it took that long for the industry to do that game, it was so obivous.

i wanted to get into game development in school and took some graduate computer graphics classes with my homie who interviewed at blizzard but gave it up once i releazed i could work half the hours and make double cash in enterprise programming. cash rules everything around me...

that is a bit like GTA2... the rep especially

would be sick if you could choose a races and combine them all into your gang... so like at first you start out as 1 race but you meet more and more people and defeat more and more gangs you start getting multicultural so you can diversify your crime... for example youd have all kinds of differetn drugs... heroin builds your rep and builds your heat meter... and you get more $ per pound if you have an italian guy making it instead of a black guy for example... and then you get the black guy growin weed and its insane... etc. black guy is better at hand to hand but chinese guy is better with weapons etc. there is so much you could do... also would be sick if you could sell hip hop albums

ONTARIO CANADA

STARSHIPtrooper

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 10:22:30 AM »

you need to make this. direct competitor to sc2... lol the concept sounds AMAZING. maybe when you retire, join up with your other buddies, and create this masterpiece.

CrookieMonster

• Rep: -23
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2010, 11:18:59 AM »
holy fuck.

we're best friends remember?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 12:01:46 PM »
you need to make this. direct competitor to sc2... lol the concept sounds AMAZING. maybe when you retire, join up with your other buddies, and create this masterpiece.

i'd love to play it, just seems like it'd be really fun. scarface came pretty close but without being a RTS. i'm sure eventually someone will jump on it. all the good ideas are pretty obvious and get done eventually. i've thought about trying to get into the game industry but my wife isn't stoked on it and i'd have some major retooling to do. but i live in austin now and it's the second best place to live for video gamming careers so who knows. once my friends starts he might get me motivated to start learning it. he's also interviewing with ea and timegate. for me it seems like rockstar would be the best fit for the kinds of games i'd want to build.

boyan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 12:03:47 PM »
It's pretty wild how this game dominated gaming in korea, or how koreans dominated this game, I can come up with only a few non-korean players who actually kicked ass on this game