Author Topic: Dave Carnie hates Burzum  (Read 1539 times)

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
Dave Carnie hates Burzum
« on: April 13, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »
I jokingly wrote into to Skateboardmag about some comment Dave carnie made about about black metal and it got published.

Mine's the middle one, by anonymous
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9586/sc0042118d.jpg

I have no real clue what he's talking about.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Dave Carnie hates Burzum
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:43:47 PM »
Varg only was in prison 16 years. And no one knows what Dave Carnie talks about in his responses. He likes to go on tangents. Burzum (as a band) isn't that bad though. What was Carnie's original comment about black metal?

Mr. DNA

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:53:22 AM »
I'm getting my name legally changed to Potato Head

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »
You should have signed it euronymus after the guy in mayhem that he killed

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:56:27 PM »
Have any of you guys seen Until The Light Takes Us?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:53:22 AM »

Yeah. It was pretty good. I kind of hyped it up too much in my head and was disappointed by it. There were a few scenes where I was frustrated at the filmmakers because I though they could have asked Fenriz something more prying or detailed or delved deeper into a few of the comments made by the musicians. I hear that the DVD is supposed to contain at least some of the interviews they conducted with Varg, Fenriz, etc. unedited so if that's true, I'll buy the DVD just for that. I think one of the reasons I was disappointed by it was the fact that the Norwegian Black Metal scene and its ethos really interest me so I already knew all of the history behind the scene. I was hoping the movie would delve more into the mindset of the key musicians and stuff.

macgruber

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • Just Tell Me What You Want Me To FUUUUUUCK
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »
Burzum: a one man, WHITE power BLACK metal band... 

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.Net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=130624
rather than abandon my own music, only because others have soiled its name by claiming to have something in common with it, I will stick to it. The 'black metallers' will probably continue to 'get loaded,' 'get high,' and in all other manners too behave like the stereotypical Negro; they will probably continue to get foreign tribal tattoos, dress, walk, talk, look and act like homosexuals, and so forth.

i always get weirded out by people in burzum shit.

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 02:42:35 PM »

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.Net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=130624
Expand Quote
rather than abandon my own music, only because others have soiled its name by claiming to have something in common with it, I will stick to it. The 'black metallers' will probably continue to 'get loaded,' 'get high,' and in all other manners too behave like the stereotypical Negro; they will probably continue to get foreign tribal tattoos, dress, walk, talk, look and act like homosexuals, and so forth.
[close]

It sucks Varg is a weird white power militant nazi asshole, his music still kicks so much ass. I guess all the more reason to love Darkthrone. From what I saw in Until the Light Takes Us, Fenriz was only really concerned with how "black" the music was, not the political/religious side of it like varg.

RevertEverything

• Rep: 18
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 03:22:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah. It was pretty good. I kind of hyped it up too much in my head and was disappointed by it. There were a few scenes where I was frustrated at the filmmakers because I though they could have asked Fenriz something more prying or detailed or delved deeper into a few of the comments made by the musicians. I hear that the DVD is supposed to contain at least some of the interviews they conducted with Varg, Fenriz, etc. unedited so if that's true, I'll buy the DVD just for that. I think one of the reasons I was disappointed by it was the fact that the Norwegian Black Metal scene and its ethos really interest me so I already knew all of the history behind the scene. I was hoping the movie would delve more into the mindset of the key musicians and stuff.

I really wanted to go when it passed through SF, but I missed it.  Oddly, this is almost exactly what the friends who did see mentioned.  A lot of the same old stories that anyone mildly familiar with black metal history would already know. Regardless, I will be getting the DVD when it comes out.

Expand Quote
[close]

Take notice kids, this is what happens when a crazy ego maniac gets locked up in  jail and a bunch of white power vikings.  He is so full of himself it's funny.  $5 says Varg has never actually met a real "negro" in person.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 07:55:46 PM »
Weird how I was just in the bathroom reading your letter.

Congrats.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 04:10:10 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It sucks Varg is a weird white power militant nazi asshole, his music still kicks so much ass. I guess all the more reason to love Darkthrone. From what I saw in Until the Light Takes Us, Fenriz was only really concerned with how "black" the music was, not the political/religious side of it like varg.

I think it's important to state that most of Burzum's songs aren't white power related, especially compared to a lot of NSBM bands. It's just Varg's personal philosophy. I'm not a big Burzum fan, but it's important to make the distinction between Varg's musical output and his individual beliefs. I read this pretty good article in Decibel about Varg where the author of the article brings up how absurd it is that Varg is hated more for his racist views than the fact that he killed someone. The author mentions that it's important to note that Varg's murder was not spawned by race and although his beliefs aren't excusable, he should be hated more for being a murderer than a racist. I thought that was an interesting idea.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 11:16:02 PM »
it bums me out that a lot of black metal bands are white supremacists, but the music is still cool sometimes. 

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 12:28:03 AM »
NSBM is actually a pretty small subgroup of black metal. Now if you're talking just the musicians-I agree. But as long as their music is good and not NSBM, then it doesn't really bother me. But I get kind of tired with a lot of black metal bands for the same reason Varg does. A good amount of modern bands are merely rehashing early '90s Norwegian black metal because they think that's what being black metal is. That's just not true and very irritating, especially when the bands are fairly recently started.

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
it seems like varg really made up that whole guitar sound just playing through the worst equipment possible, you can't beat it.