Author Topic: Mikey Taylor Appreciation Thread  (Read 7583 times)

gripittoripit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -36
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Mikey Taylor Appreciation Thread
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:03:08 PM »
Smooth as hell, alway thought he was sick and had timeless style!

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
Re: Mikey Taylor Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 09:13:32 PM »
skate more and mind field parts were constant repeat for me, always been a fan.

Sidewayslurkzine

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:18:29 PM »
Really? Most bland style ever

the next curren caples

• Rep: -35
  • Letha Brainz Blo
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »
Yeah, he's one of the worst pros out for sure.  The great majority of his fans have to be either those kids who are offended by anything other than the 4 or 5 ledge tricks he's been doing since he came out, or they are just into dudes who are portrayed as having sunny dispositions.  The former probably also seriously enjoy playing Tetris or tidying up around the house, and I don't think I know any of the latter and I can't even imagine how wack they are.

palmtree12233

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 09:59:10 PM »
worst thread ever.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146

STARSHIPtrooper

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 10:23:02 PM »
mikey taylor has such a smooth style, likes good on rails, has enough other tricks as well, i really enjoy his skating. and being  a happy dude doesnt hurt.

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 10:33:06 PM »
i'm down for mikey.

kevbo999

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 11:02:25 PM »
Remember when he did the most bangin ledge trick ever for his ender but it was filmed like shit with no second angle..

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 11:47:53 PM »
skate more and mind field parts were constant repeat for me, always been a fan.
mikey taylor has such a smooth style, likes good on rails, has enough other tricks as well, i really enjoy his skating. and being  a happy dude doesnt hurt.

Agreed. I met him at a demo years ago when he first got on Seek and DVS and he was a super nice dude dealing with me and my buddy fanning out around him. Been down for the guy ever since. His etnies pro model skates really well too.

nagoooyen

• Rep: -10
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 11:52:17 PM »
hell yea mikey taylor is legit

StarkyLove

• Rep: -119
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 12:09:39 AM »
i back this thread

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 12:24:59 AM »
Im totally more a fan now, rather than when he was on dvs (at the time of skate more)
those big tall tees weren't looking good, plus baggy pants and big ass dvs shoes weren't really pleasant for my eyes
now with that slim/relaxed fit looks way better, more into the actual AWS style

Edward Sebastian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • This is what we live for.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 01:31:01 AM »
he has a nice 360 flip
"RIP to myself one day" - JR Blastoff

dylan makes me wet

• Rep: -32
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 01:36:32 AM »
i'm not much of a fan

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 01:51:52 AM »
He must have got every crooked grind variation in his bag

Mindfield ender was fucked

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 07:23:07 AM »
I'm backing him. Some of the smoothest and most consistent rail skating I've ever seen in person. And he is cool as fuck.

relevant to my intrests

• Rep: -58
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
Im totally more a fan now, rather than when he was on dvs (at the time of skate more)
those big tall tees weren't looking good, plus baggy pants and big ass dvs shoes weren't really pleasant for my eyes

Could you sound anymore like a faggot. " I wasn't into him because of the way he dressed" wtf?

StokedTaco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -180
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 08:06:03 AM »
nicest dude ever.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 09:00:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Could you sound anymore like a faggot. " I wasn't into him because of the way he dressed" wtf?
hahaha well, yes, it sound really bad

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 09:37:17 AM »
Mikey Taylor fucking kills it! I don't believe all these haters!

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 10:03:01 AM »
Mikey Taylor fucking kills it! I don't believe all these haters!

BriDen

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Remember when he did the most bangin ledge trick ever for his ender but it was filmed like shit with no second angle..

This is honestly the only thing I ever remember him doing, and I can't even remember what he started off that line with.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

PhillyMetrospective1995

• Rep: 14
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »
Yeah, he's one of the worst pros out for sure.  The great majority of his fans have to be either those kids who are offended by anything other than the 4 or 5 ledge tricks he's been doing since he came out, or they are just into dudes who are portrayed as having sunny dispositions.  The former probably also seriously enjoy playing Tetris or tidying up around the house, and I don't think I know any of the latter and I can't even imagine how wack they are.

Mike hasn't adopted a persona to fit some niche market in the growing skate industry. He's not bothered by too much because he's 100 percent skateboarding. I like Mike -- both his skating and him as a person. When others have shied away or dropped out of skating for several months/years, Mike held it down. And to disprove your "whack" anthropological observations: I don't play Tetris, my car is notorious for being a moving recycling center, and the last book I finished reading was on the not-so-upbeat band, The 13th Floor Elevators. But I think you've already been grilled before in the McLouth thread.   

mock nugget

• Rep: -12
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 11:48:16 AM »
I enjoy Mike Taylor parts. I think he has a very classic approach to skating, lots of lines, smooth flow, and good trick selection. His skating is kind of a logical progression from the schoolyard skating of the mid 90's, except there are seriously gnarly rail tricks thrown in the mix, and what's amazing is that he can lipslide a curved handrail or do some technical ledge combination and seem equally comfortable doing both.

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »
meh

the next curren caples

• Rep: -35
  • Letha Brainz Blo
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 01:31:30 PM »
Philly, even if he hasn't adopted a particular personality, he's allowed his boring ass socal personality to become a very prominent part of his appeal.  In other words, he's taken advantage of the fact that there are legions of poor sap fat kids out there who are just into a guy smiley type dude.  This is not that big of a deal I guess, but come on man, let your skating do the talking once in a while.  Also, it should be noted that you seriously just tried to big dude up because he still skates.  This is absolutely regular.  I mean, I'd go ahead and give him the same respect I give other skaters who keep skating after they've turned 18 or whatever for just keeping with it even after they've gotten a job or gone to college or whatever, but he doesn't have to do any of that shit--he gets paid to skate.  Am I really supposed to be impressed that he keeps accepting those checks and traveling the world and having all that free time?  This is an even dumber reason to back him than the other ones provided here, which are that he's nice, he skates handrails in addition to stairs, he dresses better than he used to, and he did one trick at the end of one part that was good.  And I don't consider myself to have been grilled in any McClouth thread.  All I ever said about dude was that he must be a kook, based on his history of barfing while filming berrics parts (STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSS) and the fact that he's obviously proficient on a skateboard yet can't get hooked up by anyone.  Well, he's still good and he's still not hooked up, so apparently potential sponsors agree with me.  I mean, until he gets hooked up, I think we pretty much have to assume that he's a kook, and none of you have presented any argument to the contrary.

I know these dudes are your friends or whatever and you think that getting sponsored and having a 'career' in skateboarding is something that should be applauded or revered or taken seriously or something, but from where I'm sitting, all your friends have never done anything remotely cool or interesting on a skateboard, and I can't see why anyone would ever want to give them shit.  I mean, have you ever seen a skater with an ounce of originality or spirit in person?  It really can get better than what your buddies have done over the years, believe it or not.

Nas

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »
his street cinema part got my so psyched to skate back in the day.

Much love for Mikey Taylor

Sidenote: It was kind of crazy seeing his style of dress go from kind of baggy n shit, compared to now where he is kind of more hesh. Either way, still good.

PhillyMetrospective1995

• Rep: 14
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »
In regards to your last post: Mike held it down when I wasn't skating; when Van wasn't skating; when Justin Case wasn't skating. There are a lot of pros who simply stop skating for prolonged periods of time. I respect and understand that: people do have other interests outside of skateboarding. (And of course there are darker, much more unfortunate reasons why people stop...) For example, Van really liked playing piano and guitar; he liked nature; he wanted to earn a college degree. Matt Hensley is an all-time favorite who stopped to pursue other interests (and excelled). Greco likes Thunders; I do too; I've spoken with him at length about Johnny's guitars and amplifiers; I like Greco and his skating. But the thing is I respect Mike for keeping it going when others were doing other things. I've never met another dude so driven to skateboard. Irrespective of his pro status, I respect someone who's so 100% skateboarding. Mike hasn't changed all that much since I first met him 13 or 14 years ago. He's a professional skateboarder. So of course he's marketed. But the deal with Mike is he's kept it about a real as you can -- he's not trying to sell you a false bill of goods. He's not conveying some sort of edginess, which I'm sure would build him a more devoted, yet polarized, fan base. He hasn't dropped old friends to make new ones. If you want to hate on someone for being true to themselves, go ahead. You'd hate the majority of pro skateboarders in the process. I think Mike has let his skating do the talking.

In regards to your initial post: Mike is a professional skateboarder. He's a public figure. So of course you have every right to criticize him. My grievance with your post is your vacuous argument. Look, if you want to say something like, "Mike Taylor's style is horrible; I don't like his trick selection, etc.", more power to you. That's your right. I encourage you to express your opinion. I think Mike does do more than five ledge tricks, but I get your gist. It's when you make these sweeping generalizations -- about Tetris and house cleaning -- that you make yourself look silly. In essence, what you're saying is if you like Mike Taylor, you're a fucking fat dork who's better off eating Twinkies and doing the work of women. You're essentially employing the same spurious logic of Fox News -- rambling random shit totally devoid of facts. Again, if you want to say something that's just a subjective opinion, fine. If you want to back it up with proof, that's even better. It's when you bad mouth people who like Mike's skating that you cross the line with me. Because I'm a fan.