Author Topic: Mikey Taylor Appreciation Thread  (Read 7585 times)

the next curren caples

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -35
  • Letha Brainz Blo
Re: Mikey Taylor Appreciation Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »
Go get your Twinkie on then.

PhillyMetrospective1995

• Rep: 14
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 03:13:04 PM »
I actually don't eat Hostess products because they have beef fat in them and it conflicts with my vegetarianism.

relevant to my intrests

• Rep: -58
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 03:27:43 PM »
I actually don't eat Hostess products because they have beef fat in them and it conflicts with my vegetarianism homosexuality.

i kid i kid

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
In regards to your last post: Mike held it down when I wasn't skating; when Van wasn't skating; when Justin Case wasn't skating. There are a lot of pros who simply stop skating for prolonged periods of time. I respect and understand that: people do have other interests outside of skateboarding. (And of course there are darker, much more unfortunate reasons why people stop...) For example, Van really liked playing piano and guitar; he liked nature; he wanted to earn a college degree. Matt Hensley is an all-time favorite who stopped to pursue other interests (and excelled). Greco likes Thunders; I do too; I've spoken with him at length about Johnny's guitars and amplifiers; I like Greco and his skating. But the thing is I respect Mike for keeping it going when others were doing other things. I've never met another dude so driven to skateboard. Irrespective of his pro status, I respect someone who's so 100% skateboarding. Mike hasn't changed all that much since I first met him 13 or 14 years ago. He's a professional skateboarder. So of course he's marketed. But the deal with Mike is he's kept it about a real as you can -- he's not trying to sell you a false bill of goods. He's not conveying some sort of edginess, which I'm sure would build him a more devoted, yet polarized, fan base. He hasn't dropped old friends to make new ones. If you want to hate on someone for being true to themselves, go ahead. You'd hate the majority of pro skateboarders in the process. I think Mike has let his skating do the talking.

In regards to your initial post: Mike is a professional skateboarder. He's a public figure. So of course you have every right to criticize him. My grievance with your post is your vacuous argument. Look, if you want to say something like, "Mike Taylor's style is horrible; I don't like his trick selection, etc.", more power to you. That's your right. I encourage you to express your opinion. I think Mike does do more than five ledge tricks, but I get your gist. It's when you make these sweeping generalizations -- about Tetris and house cleaning -- that you make yourself look silly. In essence, what you're saying is if you like Mike Taylor, you're a fucking fat dork who's better off eating Twinkies and doing the work of women. You're essentially employing the same spurious logic of Fox News -- rambling random shit totally devoid of facts. Again, if you want to say something that's just a subjective opinion, fine. If you want to back it up with proof, that's even better. It's when you bad mouth people who like Mike's skating that you cross the line with me. Because I'm a fan.         

You clueless little name-dropping fuck... Do you think any of these dudes want you speaking on their behalf? Moreover, do you think anyone on here gives a shit that you're a grown-up version of Corey Martinez? We get it, you jock pros as a hobby and then make long winded reports about it on Slap. Cool stories, bro. Check this out...at the 2008 NBC Christmas party,  Katie Couric gave lil Hanz a spit-shine while Matt Lauer watched and jerked off. I got that nigga Stone Phillips to keep watch so Mrs Hans wouldn't find us before I  could cast my first stones into the bottom of Couric's wishing well. Barb Walters heard what was going down in the coat check and tried to join the party, but fuck that. Bitch smells like Bengay and mothballs. Hanz aint havin' it. But yo, the moral of the story is this: Nobody gives a shit who sucked your weiwei, or whos you sucked. Or how Matt Lauer has trouble getting off without other men present. You just sound like a try-hard motherfuck attempting to paint yourself into every fucking picture being discussed on here. You're a nobody, deal with that. I'll deal with being...

Chris Hansen.

Ouch.

dropped my own name.

PhillyMetrospective1995

• Rep: 14
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »
The irony is I'm the first person to admit my skating is mediocre at best; and that I'm fairly anonymous; washed up; at best just a fan of skateboarding.

I was lucky to have had these guys as childhood friends; to me they're simply kids I grew up skating with; more importantly they were/are good people. As far as speaking on their behalf, they were again childhood friends and I knew them very well, which is why I reference them when they're brought up on this board. (I can't recall a time where I've stated, "Speaking on behalf of..." but whatever.) I helped Van's family organize a skate jam we held yesterday; flew to Denver for his last skate jam; spent a lot of time with him on trips to LA in the late '90s. I've constantly fought to get him some posthumous coverage and in the last year of his life, I really tried to rebuild our friendship; we had lost contact for some years; I went to school and he moved to Frisco. Justin Case is one of my best friends. As far as name dropping, whatever. I'm too old for that shit and I'm not really conscious of it. This is after all the Internet and trying to impress people on here is a waste of time. I simply try to fight for people who I care about and respect. The reason I started posting on here was because this board turned up when I was doing a Justin Case google search -- checking up on what was out there on my old pal. I'm on here to keep up with the kids coming up in skating; but mainly because they're are a lot of "old timers" like myself who bring rad skaters like Mike Daher and Lennie Kirk up (bring those names up at a skatepark and you'll most likely get blank faces). Truth be told, I'm getting tired of this shit. I stick around because there are some awesome people with great posts who visit here regularly; but the intellectual level on here can get lower than 8th grade. I'm done for at least some time. It's not worth sifting through the shit to find gold.

-Ryan Leach 

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2010, 04:50:19 PM »
*Bangs noggin on desk, repeatedly*

-Chris Hansen.

brazillionaire

• Rep: 11
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »
damn.. mikey really got them people on writin

clamy

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »
Loved him since In Bloom, Mindfield is my favourite part so far, lot of fucked up switch in that.

Bobbito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 06:58:48 PM »
I'll back the dude. He's not too entertaining but the tricks he does do, he does them very well. Definitely has a lot of talent. Plus he's a gearhead haha so we have that similar understanding of certain things

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 07:14:57 PM »
Curren Caples dude is wack, Mikey's sick, Leach is cool, C-Hanz tells good stories.

luke_gardner

• Rep: -40
  • Chicagoooo
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 09:35:03 PM »
Curren Caples dude is wack, Mikey's sick, Leach is cool, C-Hanz tells good stories.
accurate tl;dr for those who don't want to read that shit

bandini

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 11:16:47 AM »

That pretty much says it all...

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 04:08:36 PM »
Not wanting to take anything away from mikey taylor i just think that out of the whole of skateboarding it is odd that he is a person worthy of making an appreciation thread... normally these are for legends or unhateable people who have made some sort of impact.

The boy is good but seems from the mixed responses he needs to pay his dues a bit more.....

mikapepe

• Rep: -15
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 07:54:47 PM »
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/component/option,com_hwdvideoshare/Itemid,90/lang,en/task,viewvideo/video_id,433/

Listen to this long ass face bad mouth all his old sponsors! and then he quit cuz pops told him to!! think for ur self goon!!! and antone seen his new aws ad? I wonder how he came up with the idea for that? sorry but hes bring nothing to the table but that long fucking face.

mikapepe

• Rep: -15
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 07:57:19 PM »
The irony is I'm the first person to admit my skating is mediocre at best; and that I'm fairly anonymous; washed up; at best just a fan of skateboarding.

I was lucky to have had these guys as childhood friends; to me they're simply kids I grew up skating with; more importantly they were/are good people. As far as speaking on their behalf, they were again childhood friends and I knew them very well, which is why I reference them when they're brought up on this board. (I can't recall a time where I've stated, "Speaking on behalf of..." but whatever.) I helped Van's family organize a skate jam we held yesterday; flew to Denver for his last skate jam; spent a lot of time with him on trips to LA in the late '90s. I've constantly fought to get him some posthumous coverage and in the last year of his life, I really tried to rebuild our friendship; we had lost contact for some years; I went to school and he moved to Frisco. Justin Case is one of my best friends. As far as name dropping, whatever. I'm too old for that shit and I'm not really conscious of it. This is after all the Internet and trying to impress people on here is a waste of time. I simply try to fight for people who I care about and respect. The reason I started posting on here was because this board turned up when I was doing a Justin Case google search -- checking up on what was out there on my old pal. I'm on here to keep up with the kids coming up in skating; but mainly because they're are a lot of "old timers" like myself who bring rad skaters like Mike Daher and Lennie Kirk up (bring those names up at a skatepark and you'll most likely get blank faces). Truth be told, I'm getting tired of this shit. I stick around because there are some awesome people with great posts who visit here regularly; but the intellectual level on here can get lower than 8th grade. I'm done for at least some time. It's not worth sifting through the shit to find gold.

-Ryan Leach 

HAHAHAHA was that a cry for help? does he want us all to be like "oh no please don't leave! ur right mikey taylor is sick!" get the fuck out of here

pesto166

• Rep: -21
  • shameless-selfpromotion
    • PaintYourKicks avatar image
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »
ya i'm sure he's a cool dude and all, and he IS an amazing skater.  but watching him just doens't make an impression on me.  I"m not like, oh yeah i just waatched his dvs vid part, now i want to fucking skate. 

Moist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • Deaf and Dumb
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2010, 02:10:57 AM »
Been a fan since that Mikey issue of 441.

Geoffs Nightmare

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2010, 02:43:01 AM »
So it took two pages to conclude that Mikey Taylor is skateboarding marmite. Either you love him or you hate him.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2010, 04:36:48 AM »
I watched his Mind Field part a lot more than I expected, but chances are that's because of the Dinosaur Jr song.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

lloyd

• Rep: -3
    • YWTS avatar image
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2010, 05:10:45 AM »
Can't see how you can hate, he has one of the most effortless switch stances, and he rides loose trucks.
What is there not to like?

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2010, 05:41:25 AM »
http://www.thrashermagazine.com/component/option,com_hwdvideoshare/Itemid,90/lang,en/task,viewvideo/video_id,433/

Listen to this long ass face bad mouth all his old sponsors! and then he quit cuz pops told him to!! think for ur self goon!!! and antone seen his new aws ad? I wonder how he came up with the idea for that? sorry but hes bring nothing to the table but that long fucking face.
Yeah, he came off like a real fucking douche in that interview...

Headcrusher

• Rep: -49
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2010, 11:00:28 AM »
dude's boring as hell and that section in his MindField part where he's playing with some blocks is too gay for words! 
"We got Ronson Lambert... Pretty much the Carroll of the 21st century." - Danny Way