Author Topic: Xbox question  (Read 1022 times)

crackrazor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Xbox question
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »
 My friend is selling an xbox 360 with a 60gb HD and some game called dead space for $170. He played it for about 10 hours and got bored, and I'm seriously considering buying it.

I'm a little worried about the problems it has though, as I found an entire wikipedia page devoted to bugs in 360s.

I really just want to play skate, that's it.

Should I go for it, or am I just spending $170 on a thing that will break in a year?

Thanks pals

Oni0nbelt

• Rep: 3
Re: Xbox question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 02:14:34 PM »
I personally wouldn't worry about it breaking. If it does break Microsoft is pretty lenient on fixing everything for free. I had one for 2 years before it broke. It was completely out of warranty but they fixed it for free anyways. Only took a week to get a new one and it's worked fine ever since.

The key is to fill out the report form online though. If you talk to them on the phone you'll most likely get screwed.

If you think it's a good deal go for it. Dead Space is a good game & Skate 1 & 2 are cheap.

BriDen

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 02:43:40 PM »
I personally wouldn't worry about it breaking. If it does break Microsoft is pretty lenient on fixing everything for free. I had one for 2 years before it broke. It was completely out of warranty but they fixed it for free anyways. Only took a week to get a new one and it's worked fine ever since.

The key is to fill out the report form online though. If you talk to them on the phone you'll most likely get screwed.

If you think it's a good deal go for it. Dead Space is a good game & Skate 1 & 2 are cheap.

Very misleading wording right here.

Your xbox is fully covered for 1 year after you buy it. It is then covered for two more years after that, but ONLY for the RROD (red ring of death) and one other malfunction involving yellow lights. If it RROD's more than 3 years after you bought it, or something else happens past 1 year, it's over $100 to get it fixed. There are many other malfunctions that they will not cover in the 3 year warranty.

I got "lucky" and mine RROD'd after two years so I got mine fixed for free. Also, I disagree about the website. I would have been out $100 if I did my report online. I called them and got it done for free. The website only shows the status of your 1 year warranty.

So you have to consider how long it's been since your friend bought the console and subtract that from 3 years to see how long you're covered on the most common problem. Most people I play with online have had their xbox's RROD, but I heard that the newer ones have a newer cooling system/fan to prevent the RROD.

Oni0nbelt

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 02:48:50 PM »
I've seen friends that are past the 3 year warranty get it fixed for free from microsoft. If they make you pay $100 then that sucks, but from what I've seen they're pretty lenient. Just my experiences.