Author Topic: Moving to Australia...?  (Read 15870 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Re: Moving to Australia...?
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2010, 09:19:42 AM »
Fuck man , Hostels suck , I hate it at mine , trying to sleep at night and ppl come home late from partying . Sleeping with 3 other ppl who make a mess of the room . HATE IT

Anyways things are looking up , start looking for a appartment now , cause I fucking have a job now , I got hired yday . Its a great place , lots of stress and good food , hard work and great ppl to work with , even a cute woman chef .  I can learn alot here

So Im gonna try to stay 1+ years

I like sydney , traffic is nuts here , had some real close calls the first day here . the girls are banging , ppl are nice and friendly .I can go visit melbourne , gold coast , perth  . New Z , and tasmania when I have afew days off . 

So almost one week into the trip , I love the city and country . great place .

Need to focus some time on work right now but soon its time for some serius skating time

Hostels are either really good or really bad depending on the crowd and what you're trying to do. Know what sucks worse though? Fucking dorm rooms. I'm staying in my friends dorm in "greater london", meaning I'm a 15 minute train ride from the actual city, and all the kids here are way more annoying than any hostel I've stayed in. Staying with a friend in the city tomorrow though then heading to amsterdam saturday.  Question though - are you just there on a working holiday visa? If so, finding a job is that easy?

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2010, 04:22:09 AM »

Question though - are you just there on a working holiday visa? If so, finding a job is that easy?

Besides that moving to australia would be a cool thing , only reason really I came here is because of a job interview . I have a pretty good CV and am good at my job so , yes for me this time it was pretty easy . Im here on a working holliday VISA .

Not sure how easy it is for other non profesinal ppl to get a job though

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2010, 10:01:37 AM »
Oh man , best skate day yet

Frekkin insomnia , so went out looking for waterloo oval skate park at 3 AM , bombing hills down to sydney uni , and then kinda got way lost , well I was lost the whole time , so many hills to bomb and no traffic , some slow hills some faster .

Ended up at redfern at 4 am , dont find redfern sketchy at all , all the ppl I ran into were helpful when I asked them for the way . Police station helped me in the end , and I found the place ,

pretty small park with no lights at night , shit miniramp that you slip out on so easy , metal ramps suck !   had a fun session . ended at around 5am ,  lost again and found kingscross , and from there up to oxford street ,

Bombed from the top of oxford street down against the court room thing , where the park is towards  pit street , had 2 green lights and just went for it , speeed wobbles on my board and by some frekkin miricle I didnt wipe out but just jumped and ran and didnt even fall over

some of those hill bombings today were sketchy and scary as fuck , but fucking fun .

Smiling all night on this shit , really like sydney so far

Did Chima Fergeson had some interview with pictures of a bs 360 down some set ? if that was in sydney and near circular quay , fuck man then that shit is so gnarly , saw it today and checked it out , dude is a beast if that was the set , rough down hill landing and high as fuck 

Oh if the dude that tried to film that varial heel down that set today on pittstreet sees this , hope u made it !

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
There are lights at waterloo oval but I don't know how late they stay on.  plus they haven't been on lately because of the construction apparently. you skated really far.   

Maybe you should join skateboard.com.au forums and see if you can find a place through there.  skate house style. 

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2010, 12:15:02 PM »

Frekkin insomnia , so went out looking for waterloo oval skate park at 3 AM , bombing hills down to sydney uni , and then kinda got way lost , well I was lost the whole time , so many hills to bomb and no traffic , some slow hills some faster .

Ended up at redfern at 4 am , dont find redfern sketchy at all , all the ppl I ran into were helpful when I asked them for the way . Police station helped me in the end , and I found the place ,

pretty small park with no lights at night , shit miniramp that you slip out on so easy , metal ramps suck !   had a fun session . ended at around 5am ,  lost again and found kingscross , and from there up to oxford street ,

Bombed from the top of oxford street down against the court room thing , where the park is towards  pit street , had 2 green lights and just went for it , speeed wobbles on my board and by some frekkin miricle I didnt wipe out but just jumped and ran and didnt even fall over

some of those hill bombings today were sketchy and scary as fuck , but fucking fun .

Did Chima Fergeson had some interview with pictures of a bs 360 down some set ? if that was in sydney and near circular quay , fuck man then that shit is so gnarly , saw it today and checked it out , dude is a beast if that was the set , rough down hill landing and high as fuck

Oh if the dude that tried to film that varial heel down that set today on pittstreet sees this , hope u made it !

That's the spot.  It's fucking INSANE!!!  Seeing is believing at that spot.

Sounds like you're having a fucking blast.  Your entire description just took me back two years.  Wish I was there right now.

If you wanna see another rad spot that is fucking insane...check out the inside of Sydney Harbour Bridge.  You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it.

Also...like rfox mentioned... www.skateboard.com.au is amazing.  I was on that site almost daily for my entire trip.  I've still got it bookmarked.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:16:46 PM by jeremyrandall »

Chiguy

« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2010, 08:17:51 PM »
Is Kings Cross as sketch as people make it sound?

I mean I'm from Chicago so I gotta think Kings Cross is tame relative to what goes on in most big cities(Same with Redfern according to you).

All this seems pretty cool overall. I really want to move there, if shit doesn't work out here
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:25:46 PM by Chiguy »

matt.

• Rep: -6
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Is Kings Cross as sketch as people make it sound?

I mean I'm from Chicago so I gotta think Kings Cross is tame relative to what goes on in most big cities(Same with Redfern according to you)

kings cross isn't that sketchy. it's just full of kooks.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2010, 08:07:10 AM »
Kings cross miight be abit weird but not sketchy , havent been anywhere sketchy since i came to sydney , Im sure if u are unlucky
you could get in trouble , but that can happen any city in any area

skating is pretty good here , but skatestoppers everywhere , and if not the ground is fucked up , but sometimes they space it weird and you can still skate it , the streets are shit alot of the time , but some nice hill bombing

never been scared or anything in sydney , most anoying ppl here are the british tourists , I always love british chefs , and skaters , but Im sorry the standard british tourist is the worst . Im sure most brits are nice but when you go out of your country for hollidays u act like idiots

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2010, 05:00:21 AM »
Expand Quote

pretty small park with no lights at night , shit miniramp that you slip out on so easy , metal ramps suck !   had a fun session . ended at around 5am ,  lost again and found kingscross , and from there up to oxford street ,

Bombed from the top of oxford street down against the court room thing , where the park is towards  pit street , had 2 green lights and just went for it , speeed wobbles on my board and by some frekkin miricle I didnt wipe out but just jumped and ran and didnt even fall over

[close]

Sounds like you're having a fucking blast.  Your entire description just took me back two years.  Wish I was there right now.

If you wanna see another rad spot that is fucking insane...check out the inside of Sydney Harbour Bridge.  You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it.

Also...like rfox mentioned... www.skateboard.com.au is amazing.  I was on that site almost daily for my entire trip.  I've still got it bookmarked.

Im not sure if you mean all the ledges that are under the bridge  ? or what , I actualy went across the bridge to see if there was something there ?? but hahah , other side , north side, of sydney seems more relaxed then south side innner city . but did u mean the ledges ???  anyways they are kinda screened off by construction right now so sucks to be me

the chinma gap is on Essex street near circular key , fucking shit that gap is gnarly .

there will be epic skating going down this weekend though oh yes , there will be ,

gonna try to hit up martins plaza thing too , but I dont skate gaps , but end of this trip I want to film some tricks down the big 4 . but lets see if that ever happens , it looks pretty big , specialy since I never skate gaps or stairs .

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2010, 02:04:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Im not sure if you mean all the ledges that are under the bridge  ? or what , I actualy went across the bridge to see if there was something there ?? but hahah , other side , north side, of sydney seems more relaxed then south side innner city . but did u mean the ledges ???  anyways they are kinda screened off by construction right now so sucks to be me

the chinma gap is on Essex street near circular key , fucking shit that gap is gnarly .

there will be epic skating going down this weekend though oh yes , there will be ,

gonna try to hit up martins plaza thing too , but I dont skate gaps , but end of this trip I want to film some tricks down the big 4 . but lets see if that ever happens , it looks pretty big , specialy since I never skate gaps or stairs .

Yeah, psyched to skate this weekend.  though if you are thinking of doing tricks down the big 4 you are a lot better than me. 

Dane Burman's 5050 transfer over that essex street rail was pretty crazy as well

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2010, 04:02:31 PM »
Oh I wouldnt worry too much , the 4 month break I took + the amount of work hours I usualy pull , leaves me with a permanent suckyness in skating , but atleast here in australia I have more chanses to skate thanks to the weather .

Hopefully I will be in good skate shape after afew months and maybe start skating some gaps again , but I dont want to get hurt either for work , and at 28 Im pretty much scared to skate big stuff and get hurt

but lets see if I can get down that in less then a year , Id be stoked

Moist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • Deaf and Dumb
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2010, 11:15:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, psyched to skate this weekend.  though if you are thinking of doing tricks down the big 4 you are a lot better than me. 

Dane Burman's 5050 transfer over that essex street rail was pretty crazy as well

Have you checked out Martin Place, Chifley or the Darling Harbour brick banks? All really great spots but you can only really skate them on the weekend/night. Also the rail that Chima bs 360's is also really close to the double bank that Dane ollie's in his Strange World part.

King's Cross isn't as bad as the media make it out to be. I've been there many times on Friday/Saturday night. There are always fights but if you aren't looking for one then you are pretty safe. I remember there was a shooting outside a club and the police had to place taped up, there was a bit of blood on the pavement but that's about the gnarliest thing I've seen there.

Were the lights on at Waterloo when you went there? I heard they aren't bringing them back on until the youth center is completed and they don't seem to be a hurry to finish it. There is also a little plaza you can skate a couple of streets up from the Waterloo park on another football oval which is pretty fun and there's a mini bowl at Ward Park in Surry Hills which is about a 5/10 minute skate from there. Anyway, glad you're enjoying your stay.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2010, 07:45:20 AM »
Sounds like you're having a blast montyburns. I'm can't wait to get there myself, especially since I'm in Italy right now.....which is full of Italians. The only thing you can get here is Italian food. No peanut butter anywhere here which makes me really want a pb & j. The only coffee you can get is espresso shots. From here, I think I'm catching a flight to the Ukraine then backpacking down to Istanbul, catching a flight to bangkok because it's actually cheaper to fly there from istanbul then from bk to australia. Eastern European are beautiful but every time  I meet an Australian girl they're super fucking cool. Oh....and no skating over here. I'm so ready to skate...just been carrying my board around the whole time here. Also, the australian dollar just broke even with the usd and the euro is killing the dollar. 150 euros equals 206 dollars. In australia I'm going to have pretty much the same job I had in the US with a far better wage so I'll just see the currency breaking even as  a good thing.  But hey, do things seems expensive over there or pretty reasonable relative to your wage? Also I've been having a lot of people recommend melbourne over sydney so what's the comparison there? Pretty much got my sites set on sydney but I know the public transit in melbourne is better.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2010, 09:25:03 PM »
I live in Melbourne and if I could live in Sydney I probably would.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2010, 02:38:48 AM »
Yeah, it seems that most the people who tell me how bad sydney sucks are melbourne natives....or just moved there because they hated sydney. Speaking of my prior post on italy and not being able to get peanut butter - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article5622156.ece - Coincidence? I think not.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2010, 01:56:25 PM »

Are you coming up anytime this summer? we could have a super slap session with monty burns and sexual helon once he is here.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
Yeah, not sure when exactly, probably shortly after new years.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2010, 02:20:40 AM »
Fuck yeah! A super session would be a sick way to start off in Oz! I was wanting to make it there by new years but doubt I will....it's possible though. I'm flying to Krakow Tuesday and the going L'vov - Budapest - Belgrade - somewhere in Romania - Somewhere in Bulgaria - then Istanbul. From Istanbul I'm gonna fly to Bangkok, even though it's a shithole, and then Sydney and stay in Oz for as long as I can. Probably going to try and do all those eastern European cities pretty fast though, like 3 or 4 days in each city, and the only reason I'm going to bangkok is because I found a ticket from Istanbul to there for 400 and then a ticket from there to Sydney for 300. I'm ready to be in Australia though, pretty fuckin' cold over here and not really getting any skating down. So far, Australian women and Dutch women are still my top 2. Eastern European women are super hot but a lot of them tend to be a little weird once you get to chatting with them. So...at the latest I'm planning on being there by mid January unless some random opportunity that's too good for me to pass up comes along...which I don't really see happening. Plus, I can actually work and get paid in Australia since I have a working holiday visa and gots to have enough dolla dolla bills to be able to pay a few months rent and living expenses once I get there.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2010, 04:08:30 AM »
Go skate Elizabeth Square in Budapest if you get the chance. Such a sick spot.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2010, 07:06:11 AM »
Has a great day with fox , I skated afew hours , and then watched skate vids and drank beer with fox and his lovely wife . very nice ppl both of them .

skating is going so so , work is keeping me bussy as fuck , and Im tired on my days off but I think ive skated all my days off and will continue to do so . Redfern oval and waterloo oval are my 2 favorit spots , warm up at redfern then go to waterloo

learning the places , and the train system , trains kinda suck in sydney , busses might be better but I like trains , most ppl said I would like melbourne better then sydney , but I really like it here , fox said I would hate it in melbourne . who knows , I live here now anyways .

Im down to skate all days I have free from work , but Im fucking tired so dont expect me to be doing any 6 hour sessions , few hours and Im dead and want food or alcohol

got a place to stay now , I live in newtown , love this neighbourhood , lots of ppl with party in mind , tattoos , hipsters , punks , punkrockers and so on  , lots of cafes and restaurants , fun shops and so on .  dont think I could have found a better place to stay

special thanks to fox and his wife , making my start in sydney sooooooo much easier .

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2011, 02:48:26 AM »
Ahhh so the day has finally come. I'll be in Melbourne Wednesday morning. I'm thinking I'll hang out there for a week, see how I'm liking it, and then either rent a flat there or venture up to Sydney. I ended up spending a good bit of time in Eastern Europe....so far it's my favorite region traveled to. People are nice, really hospitable, the women BEAUTIFUL, and the cheapest things are beer and cigarettes. Worked on a farm in Italy for a bit -I fucking hate Italy, did some English tutoring in Poland, one of my favorite countries, and ended up staying in krakow for about a month, then I rented a flat in Belgrade for a month. Went to every country in the dinaric alps. I'm in Bangkok right now. So stoked to be heading to Australia on Tuesday though. Will be able to talk to people, work a steady job, get some decent coffee, and skate.

Diogenes

• Rep: 10
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2011, 01:57:07 PM »
Alright folks, I have to get out of this rain ridden hell hole and I'm considering Aus for 9 months.
Leaving A.S.A.P.

Anyone want to tell me about their job experiences and knowledge?

Also perhaps outline the benefits of living in Sydney vs. Melbourne & vice versa.

Cheers.

Super slap Aussie sesh is looking healthy
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give?

-Diogenes 412 BC-323 BC

Upon being told by Alexander The Great if there were anything in the world he wished for, he could have it.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2011, 03:19:51 PM »
I think sydney vs melbourne was covered earlier somewhat.

sexualhelon - let me know if you are in sydney.  im not skating for awhile as i broke some fingers but should be ok in a month

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »

Alright so I've been in Melbourne for about a week now and I can give you my take on here thus far.  That video above, well that's pretty much been what I've seen in Melbourne so far. I've gone out to some bars but it's been kind of boring so far. People told me before I came here that there was more life in the suburbs than the city, at least at night, which is a weird concept to me but it seems pretty true. Definitely expensive compared to the states...and most places I feel. This past weekend I went to this music festival called great plains an hour or so out of Melbourne. Oh man, all the bands sucked and again...all people like the dudes in that video. I've never seen so many guys wearing short shorts and scarves in one place. Ah and tons of people made unwarranted comments about me being American which left a bad taste in my mouth. That aside though, Melbourne ain't so bad. Lots of cafes and nice looking ladies with good skate spots. A lot of people say they prefer Melbourne to Sydney because it's more liveable and cheaper while sydney is too fast paced and more expensive. I don't really think sydney would seem so fast paced to me though coming from cities like LA, NYC, and London but I'm quite ready to check sydney out. Definitely going to check out sydney before I decide where to rent a place first. Newtown sounds like a sick place to look around the way Monty Burns described it. I'm gonna check flights to sydney for this weekend right now.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2011, 05:04:03 AM »
Fox breaking his hand put a dent in my skating , which was already dented by work . Not even sure why I moved to australia any more since I hardly skate , hoping its gonna pick up abit now that fox will be back and sexualhelon is coming here now too

Im usualy fucked up tired from work , but to skate and show u around and getting drunk and shit so hit me up later and we can orginize something .

have a job that allowes u to move to australia and skateboard , too tired from work to skateboard ...  should be one of those meme's

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2011, 12:04:13 PM »
that is a pretty good summation of melbourne.  not sure about the suburbs thing.  maybe brunswick/fitzroy or st kilda. 

wallydon

• Rep: -1
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2011, 05:34:11 PM »
Alright folks, I have to get out of this rain ridden hell hole and I'm considering Aus for 9 months.
Leaving A.S.A.P.

Anyone want to tell me about their job experiences and knowledge?

Also perhaps outline the benefits of living in Sydney vs. Melbourne & vice versa.

Cheers.

Super slap Aussie sesh is looking healthy

haha i presume you're talking about coming from the UK? i've lived here for the past 2 months or so and so far the weather's been a lot like an english summer rainy overcast days mixed with pleasant sunny ones, never too hot though. just don't imagine melbourne weather is perfect because it's in australia, it isn't.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2011, 01:28:01 AM »
anybody skated it?

looks like an architect went a little crazy

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2011, 04:10:20 AM »
I used to skate there every day when I lived in Geelong. It's fun.

PM me if you want to go skate or grab a beer or something sexualhelon (if you're still in melbourne that is). If you split I can certainly understand why, 90% of the people here suck really hard.

I might come up to Sydney around easter-ish time if you guys want to shrad the g-nar.

Snake Stake

« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2011, 06:11:47 PM »
I used to skate there every day when I lived in Geelong. It's fun.

PM me if you want to go skate or grab a beer or something sexualhelon (if you're still in melbourne that is). If you split I can certainly understand why, 90% of the people here suck really hard.

I might come up to Sydney around easter-ish time if you guys want to shrad the g-nar.

SHUT UP IDIOT.