Author Topic: Moving to Australia...?  (Read 15810 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Moving to Australia...?
« on: June 27, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
So I've got the opportunity to move to Australia in the next year if I feel so inclined. I have lived all over the u.s. and currently in S.D. but feel that maybe the change would be good for me. I've definitely done my research and feel pretty aware of the basic pros/cons but have never actually been there and am curious on a skateboarder's perspective between the two. I don't want to just list off my lists of reasons why and why not off the bat...I'd rather hear some opinions first. Anyone able to compare? I'm thinking sydney/melbourne specifically.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Moving to Australia...?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:39:18 AM »
Sydney and Melbourne?  it could be a fairly long comparison.  I  lived in both, melbourne for 4 years and sydney for a year and a half now.  I prefer sydney.  but people really like melbourne so I don't know what to tell you.  for me, melbourne could be anywhere in the world and is boring.  I like outside stuff so sydney is better for me.  but with that said melbourne is easy to get around, has a lot of good skating and is cheaper. 

Vibetekk

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 03:32:55 AM »
I grew up in Brisbane and now I'm living in Melbourne after spending the last 6 years living in London, England.

I prefer Melbourne to Sydney. Mellower vibe, a bit more cultured, easy to get around and good skate parks/spots.
"They only live to get radical."

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 05:29:53 AM »
theres a drink at mcdonalds here called the ogre load

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 08:23:59 AM »
theres a drink at mcdonalds here called the ogre load
nuh uh. thats amazing.

cost of living is high in oz compared to most places in the US (especially the price of beer and liquor), but wages are a bit higher to compensate. there are a ton of skateparks. if you're near the coast the beaches are amazing. i can't wait to move back there in a couple years.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 03:59:18 PM »
Alright so there's a few replies already so I'll say what my theories on the pros/cons are without actually having been there.
Pros:
-I feel like the quality of life would be better
-not so many crazy religious people, dumb politics, gun problems
-I feel like Australian women are a little more approachable and I'd be stoked on their accent and them on mine
-Most every Australian I've met has been super awesome and I got along with pretty well and we had similar mentalities I'd say.
-I hate the way Americans take alcohol and sex so seriously and also tend to be less well traveled than Australians.
-Health care seems a little better and at the very least on par with the U.S.
-Australia has second highest minimum wage in world...something around 22 dollars I think.
-No tipping culture...This is a double edged sword I suppose because some people say you make more with tips but then in the U.S. when you go out you have to tip as well. I'd rather not deal with it.
Cons:
-Seems pretty isolated
-Not as diverse
-In the U.S., South America, Canada, and the Caribbean islands aren't too far away for little trips and I feel also that cities within the U.S. have more distinct personalities....Miami to New York to LA to Seattle where as in Australia I feel I'd pretty much stick to Sydney and Melbourne with the closest international destination being Singapore for me. But in actuality people tend to stay in the city they live in for the most part.
-I hear racism is a problem?
-Skating is a little more low key. Here in SoCal all the little kids and guys worried about getting sponsored kills me...and everyone here seems like they were born with a long board. I just want to skate for fun.

So just for reference, I live in San Diego and this is the only place I really see myself living in the U.S. -Australia is the only country I really see myself permanently migrating to.....As much as I love the Netherlands, my original heritage, and Barcelona I'm now a U.S. citizen and it's nearly impossible to gain citizenship in the EU. I feel like I'm forgetting something but this post is long enough.... thoughts? And can anyone compare San Diego to Sydney or Melbourne?

Inbred Jed

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 04:32:01 PM »
Cons: gangs of post Apocalyptic bikers roaming about raping and pillaging

Pros: Thunderdome

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »
Oh....and in response to the ogre load thing:

Didn't know this was in Australia but I did know it's in Canada. U.S. too politically correct to enjoy a nice ogre load?

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 05:28:09 PM »
Pros: Thunderdome
two men in, one men out!
tricks are for kids , style is forever

crunk juice

• Rep: -16
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 06:25:58 PM »
i spent a month skating and getting completely shitfaced every night in sidyney, melbourne, and up the gold coast.  i seriously considered moving there.

pros:
- spots are incredible.  so many crazy spots that i thought were in barcelona are there.  and the ground in the cities is so smooth.  you can just cruise around everywhere on smooth ground.  it's great.   
- almost all of the girls are skinny, hot, and easy.  they have good style, too.

cons:
- food is fucking terrible.  maybe it was just b/c we didn't know where to go, but it was really bad almost everywhere.  it was all like weird fish n chips w/ mayonaise and just generally awful.

i liked melbourne more than sydney but if you like SD, then sydney's probably a better choice.  it's sort of like SD w/ a bigger city feel.  i thought melbourne had more of an east coast vibe - more culture, grittier, the spots were less of a bust, etc.  good luck. 

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 07:01:32 PM »
I miss Oz.  Why mayo?  I just had them sprinkle chicken salt on my chips and the world was alright.  CHICKEN SALT!!!

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 07:04:36 PM »
CHICKEN SALT!!!
chips and gravy is also clutch. i really miss sausage rolls and pies with mushy peas, too. fuck.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 07:56:53 PM »
damn oz sounds so awesome

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 11:12:16 PM »
Oh....and in response to the ogre load thing:

Didn't know this was in Australia but I did know it's in Canada. U.S. too politically correct to enjoy a nice ogre load?

oh. my. god.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 12:36:31 AM »
Expand Quote
CHICKEN SALT!!!
[close]
chips and gravy is also clutch. i really miss sausage rolls and pies with mushy peas, too. fuck.

God Damnit this makes me miss OZ so bad!!!  I wanna get wasted and eat pies at 4 am.

Moist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • Deaf and Dumb
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 01:35:31 AM »
i spent a month skating and getting completely shitfaced every night in sidyney, melbourne, and up the gold coast.  i seriously considered moving there.

pros:
- spots are incredible.  so many crazy spots that i thought were in barcelona are there.  and the ground in the cities is so smooth.  you can just cruise around everywhere on smooth ground.  it's great.   
- almost all of the girls are skinny, hot, and easy.  they have good style, too.

cons:
- food is fucking terrible.  maybe it was just b/c we didn't know where to go, but it was really bad almost everywhere.  it was all like weird fish n chips w/ mayonaise and just generally awful.

i liked melbourne more than sydney but if you like SD, then sydney's probably a better choice.  it's sort of like SD w/ a bigger city feel.  i thought melbourne had more of an east coast vibe - more culture, grittier, the spots were less of a bust, etc.  good luck. 

I don't know what you're on about. Not sure where you stayed but there are great places to eat EVERYWHERE around Melbourne and Sydney. The spots are great and can be found just about anywhere. From my experiences the girls are better in Sydney and in Queensland than in Melbourne but that's a pretty bias opinion.
You also need to realize that everything is over priced in Oz and the Ozzy dollar is pretty strong against the US dollar at the moment. A board in the shops over here will cost you between $80 to $100 US dollars. Booze and drugs are pricey too compared to Europe and US.

winter sucks

• Rep: -12
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 07:26:54 AM »
I got a working holiday visa and im chillin in Perth now. Weed cheaper than back in Estonia. Shitloads of great skatespots. Great people. Nothing to complain about really. Beer is fuckin expensive now but if i get a job it'll be okk

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 08:34:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
CHICKEN SALT!!!
[close]
[close]

God Damnit this makes me miss OZ so bad!!!  I wanna get wasted and eat pies at 4 am.
the best is being all drunk at 4am, seeing the bakery is open and everything is straight out of the oven.

ship a box of 10 boards to yourself and you're set. it sucks to not support local shops, but it's so expensive there that when i move back i'm just going to stock up every time i visit the US. local companies are a fair bit cheaper and some (not sure about nowadays) used to be pretty decent.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 04:27:54 PM »
So this kind of peaked and died really fast but you guys gave me some great insight and I've decided to take the plunge and move to Australia. Pretty much, I put my car up for sale and I'm waiting on that. As soon as it sales, I'm putting in my 30 day notice on my lease and 2 week notice at my job. I've already got my visa. Fuuuuuuck. Pretty crazy, seeing as how I've never been to Australia. Of course...This is all subject to change but I've 90% made up my mind to do it unless some great opportunity pops up in the meantime. Can't say anything's necessarily for certain till I'm on a plane though.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:31:20 PM by sexualhelon »

DevilOnEnzyte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -236
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 04:31:46 PM »
I have nothing to contribute as I've never been, though I am sick with jealousy as I want to one day visit Austrailia.
I get to see Devil semi regularly and his little dude is rad as hell. My wife and I aren't into having little ones, but that'll give me more time to be a god uncle and teach Devil's spawn to slang weed.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 07:50:37 PM »
lol at melbourne "culture".  though the coffee is much better and i dislike NRL

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 01:29:44 PM »
Fuck yeah dude!!  That is awesome.  Have fun down there.

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 07:10:58 PM »
Go for it, fucker. Do it for us that are anchored... so that we may vicariously travel overseas.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 11:18:02 PM »
Just thought I'd say....officially going to Australia. Ultimately decided to take you guys words of wisdom.....eeeergh, I mean encouragment? Haha but I decided not to sell my car...just gonna let my mom hold on to it for safe keeping b/c I'll most likely eventually end up back here. Definitely plan to pick some fruit though and hopefully stay there for the full 2 years.

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 11:28:19 PM »
Good for you dude.  You're gonna have a blast!!

I took my own advice and I'm gonna be heading to South America in January.  So stoked!!

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 12:06:51 AM »
good timing.  it is beautiful spring in sydney right now.  cannot wait until summer.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 02:23:06 AM »
Well this fits me perfect , moving to sydney next month .

trying to find info on the best  skateshops , parks and clubs / concert places , art shows and so on .

think it will be pretty good move .

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »
If you have the chance, DO IT. You can always come back. Its an amazing place and skating there is so sick.

You shouldn't be worried about isolation. The south pacific has a lot to offer. New Zealand is dope. Bali is there ad its wayyy cheaper than hawaii. I'm assuming there's cheap flights to Japan and China.

I'd do it. I'm jealous

Cons:
*Lads - These are their "gangsters"

Pros:
*Waterloo Shantell

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 09:50:27 PM »
In 6 years here I have never seen people that look like those guys on that rail. And I don't think that I have ever heard someone use the term 'lad'.  You might be thinking of England. 

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 09:55:58 PM »
In 6 years here I have never seen people that look like those guys on that rail. And I don't think that I have ever heard someone use the term 'lad'.  You might be thinking of England. 

I dunno who you're hanging out with...but I was there for only 4 months and I saw and heard about lots of these guys.