Author Topic: Moving to Australia...?  (Read 15812 times)

Blue Fescue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Moving to Australia...?
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2010, 12:14:09 AM »
Expand Quote
I am 31 years old.  I actually live about 3 blocks from waterloo, near the mcdonald's down the hill and yes, last year I didn't have a job for a while so I would skate the park every morning before people got there and no matter what time I got there shantell would be there it was weird.

I don't know anybody here, I skate with beerkeg when he comes up from melbourne and some random people at redfern oval.  I would like to know people to skate with but I am poor at that for some reason.  didn't really know anybody to skate with in melbourne either and I was there for almost 5 years.

Sexualhelon,

new years would be good, i will have a couple weeks off work and I don't think we are going back to the US this year.  Plus the beach is so good then.  let me know.  there are some other sydney slap people I believe so we could probably get them involved.
[close]

is it because you look like Moby? is this you?

Nah, I look pretty normal.  I just haven't really put any effort into finding people to skate with.  I hope that guy is wearing sunblock or he is in trouble.  They tore that building down.

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2010, 12:19:32 AM »
I am 31 years old.  I actually live about 3 blocks from waterloo, near the mcdonald's down the hill and yes, last year I didn't have a job for a while so I would skate the park every morning before people got there and no matter what time I got there shantell would be there it was weird.

I don't know anybody here, I skate with beerkeg when he comes up from melbourne and some random people at redfern oval.  I would like to know people to skate with but I am poor at that for some reason.  didn't really know anybody to skate with in melbourne either and I was there for almost 5 years.

Sexualhelon,

new years would be good, i will have a couple weeks off work and I don't think we are going back to the US this year.  Plus the beach is so good then.  let me know.  there are some other sydney slap people I believe so we could probably get them involved.

I ate at that McDonalds waaaaaay too much when I was in Sydney.  Waterloo is so much fun!!

Keijo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2010, 05:09:37 AM »
Whatabout Perth? Are there any good spots/parks to skate?

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2010, 09:32:14 AM »
So Im moving to sydney next month

seems we have some sydney locals here so what are the shops to buy stuff at ? the ones that suport the locals and are " core " .

what brands are popular in Sydney ? can I get vox ? real ? roger ?  big spread of brands or is it all billabong and quicksilver ?

best spots ? good places to hang out ? wanna make some friends over there . whats the best parks ?  indoor ? outdoor ?

best places to eat ?  museums ?  zoo ? art stuff ? concert stuff ? ,

best way to travel in sydney ?  buss , tram ?  train ?  .

anything I must know about sydney ?  stay away from ? 

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2010, 05:44:56 PM »
So Im moving to sydney next month

seems we have some sydney locals here so what are the shops to buy stuff at ? the ones that suport the locals and are " core " .

what brands are popular in Sydney ? can I get vox ? real ? roger ?  big spread of brands or is it all billabong and quicksilver ?

best spots ? good places to hang out ? wanna make some friends over there . whats the best parks ?  indoor ? outdoor ?

best places to eat ?  museums ?  zoo ? art stuff ? concert stuff ? ,

best way to travel in sydney ?  buss , tram ?  train ?  .

anything I must know about sydney ?  stay away from ? 

The best shop is 99 degrees on Oxford street.
The best spot to meet up is Hyde park or waterloo. A lots of spots got nobbed downtown but Martin Place is fun. Youtube it. If you like tranition there's Bondi and Five Dock. If you're from the US, bring as much product as possible. Decks are about 90 USD there.
The buses/train system is really good but you can skate to most places.
Stay away from redfern at 3am. I thought I was going to get shanked skating through there. Also the area below kings cross is weird. That's where the wavy hubbbas are that BA bluntslid.

go to the beach as much as possible.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2010, 10:31:47 AM »
Thanks , seems the decks are cheaper in Oz then what Im used to getting here , so cheaper decks are great .

I mostly skate manual stuff and ledges , and come Oz I will put extra effort to tranny , so miniramp and parks would be the best for me.

Ill try to avoid redfern like the plaue , and the beach is for days off work . best feeling in the world after a rough week at work , go down and sleep on the beach a extra hour with the ipod on . was the ruitine in south of france anyways .

If any locals wanna hook up for skating or beers let me know , Ill be busy with work the first month but after that it will slow down alittle so hit me up

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2010, 09:56:54 AM »
Redfern isn't that bad at all. Rfox runs dat shit.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2010, 01:24:19 AM »
Yeah I was about to say, Redfern isn't bad, people are pretty nice really.

Definitely down to skate when you are here Monty.  Just let  me know.  there is a really fun mini bowl in the city and some mini ramps around.  5dock is crazy

Blastoise

• Rep: 1
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2010, 01:52:51 AM »
Australia is the best country in the world we don't need you judgmental douchebags coming over.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2010, 02:47:43 AM »
Australia needs less people like you.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2010, 06:36:35 AM »
Australia is the best country in the world we don't need you judgmental douchebags coming over.
do you wear the flag like a cape on australia day?

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2010, 11:55:04 PM »
Just returned to Seoul a few weeks ago from a nice vacation around Australia, Melbourne and Sindney.   Pretty sick, from your original couple of posts i think you would really enjoy it there, i have nothing negative to say about Australia.  i think for myself personally, Asia is a better fit, but i sort of grew up all over the place in Argentina, to DC, to japan and now Seoul.   Australia for sure ranks up there with all those of those places.  (which are all sick)

Someone else mentioned the travel ability there, that should not be overlooked.   you have all of asia in your grasps as well as new zealand and the south pacific islands.  once in a lifetime opportunity man, and you only live once.  DO IT.    
where is home?

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2010, 06:00:48 PM »
15 days to I leave , Flying to london first and then a nice 22 hour flight to sydney . Will be my first time in england / UK , and my longest flight ever , last was 10 hours to america , so it gets beaten by 12 hours , not bad .

getting reeaaaaaalllyyyy  stoked and excited .

trying to find some online shop but google is kinda not helping , would be best if I had a name of a skateshop , the 99 one didnt have a web shop

how is the prices for

Decks  ?
trucks  ?
wheels  ?
Marlbro  ?

If its super expensive for pro decks maybe some local Oz company has cheaper ?  Hoon maybe ? .

You got cup a noodles ?  poptarts ?  , I heard some stuff that burger king is under some other name in australia ?  .

STOKED

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2010, 07:24:06 PM »
This will help with the prices question

http://www.skateboard.com.au/

just look at the shop section, should give you an idea. 

shop decks are cheaper or there is ebay

Cigarettes are expensive, I think over 10 aud a pack but I don't smoke so don't really know.

Burger King is called Hungry Jacks, there were Burger kings for a short while but they are gone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_Jack%27s

Grocery food is more expensive than the US especially since the australian dollar is almost on par with the american dollar

matt.

• Rep: -6
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
smokes are expensive in aus now..a pack costs me $13-15 depending on the store.

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2010, 02:16:40 AM »
I pretty much only buy from skateboard.com.au (Geelong Skateshop).

The most legit shop in the country and run by the best dudes. Not to mention the fact that they have way more bargains than anywhere else.

matt.

« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2010, 09:13:51 PM »
I pretty much only buy from skateboard.com.au (Geelong Skateshop).

The most legit shop in the country and run by the best dudes. Not to mention the fact that they have way more bargains than anywhere else.

this is where i buy my shit from.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2010, 02:58:48 AM »
15 days to I leave , Flying to london first and then a nice 22 hour flight to sydney . Will be my first time in england / UK , and my longest flight ever , last was 10 hours to america , so it gets beaten by 12 hours , not bad .

trying to find some online shop but google is kinda not helping , would be best if I had a name of a skateshop , the 99 one didnt have a web shop

how is the prices for

Decks  ?
trucks  ?
wheels  ?
Marlbro  ?

If its super expensive for pro decks maybe some local Oz company has cheaper ?  Hoon maybe ? .

You got cup a noodles ?  poptarts ?  , I heard some stuff that burger king is under some other name in australia ?  .

STOKED

good luck!
where is home?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2010, 08:38:15 PM »

how is the prices for

Decks  ?
trucks  ?
wheels  ?
Marlbro  ?

STOKED

DUDE! PM me. I'm stopping in London first too - getting there on the 21st and hanging out for at least a week or two. I'm gonna backpack around eastern europe after that annnnnd then head to australia. South bank in london is sick though, we should meet up and skate there.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »

DUDE! PM me. I'm stopping in London first too - getting there on the 21st and hanging out for at least a week or two. I'm gonna backpack around eastern europe after that annnnnd then head to australia. South bank in london is sick though, we should meet up and skate there.

Im only at heathrow for about 2 hours then Im off to sydney , so no skate session .  Hit me up later in sydney .

And my VISA problems just got solved so its 10 days now to my trip to Oz . Booked a hostel for 2 weeks and hopefully If I get the job Ill be able to move to a appartment or find a roomate or somethign .

so close now  !
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:51:19 PM by Monty Burns »

Chiguy

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2010, 03:05:06 PM »
Awesome thread guys.

I was getting ready to creat an Oz thread, but this solved all of my questions.

PRetty strongly considering moving from Chicago to somewhere in Australia. Seems to be the place for me

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2010, 12:50:46 PM »
Basicly Ill be on my way to sydney soon . Ill be super busy first week / month with work , but other then that Im down to skate and drink with most you dudes so hit me up on PM and Ill get back to you when I can .

Couldnt be more stoked . Australia !

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2010, 06:25:26 AM »
Few days deep

Sydney is fucking sick . Found the 3x 3 down , 4 big down , at pit street , the big black thingy , sick spot just as big as it is in the movies
Also seems to have find some bank thingy down in the harbour , 3 or 4 of them at the maritime exhebition area , think they were in fully flared .

Still trying to find my way here I get lost pretty much every 5 mins , but thats the way I like it . The party seems good and the girls are banging . Lots of fine ass australian girls and tons of asian girls . only missing some latin ones and its a perfect mix hah .

gonna look for the skate shop on oxford street tomorrow , and I found redfern last night , didnt seem to sketchy .

Skating seems pretty good here but alot of stuff is knobbed or blocked , need to get with some locals or have more time here if I want
to find the really good spots I guess .

If I like the job and I get it I can deff see myself doing afew years down here . Pretty fucking stoked

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2010, 11:40:49 AM »
So rad dude.  You're taking me back two years reading that.  99 Degrees is sick...the dudes working there were super friendly to me.  They wrote me out a list of parks and spots and which bus routes to take to get around.  There's so much to see in Sydney it's insane. 

Here's a few things you should add to your list of things to do:
Take the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly Beach.  It's like this rad little beach town over there with a completely different pace, but it's actually still completely within Sydney.  Some of my craziest nights in Sydney were there.  From there north is all the Northern Beaches, each of them has their own little community built around it with little shops and just rad shit.

Go to North Sydney.  It's like a whole other city over there and it's fucking rad.  Plus there's some amazing parks up there too.

I dunno if you have yet, but hit up Bondi Beach.  It's insane.  The most famous beach in Australia and it's packed all the time.  As far as a beach goes it's definitely not the best, but just as an experience it's insane.  There's literally thousands of people there.  Plus it has the Bondi Bowl, which kept me going back there almost everyday for a full month.  And from there south, there is a whole other group of beaches which are equally rad with their own shops and communities.  Maroubra (about 5 or 6 beaches south of Bondi) also has a skatepark.

Also...look up Fivedock bowl if you're at all into transition skating.  It's a fucking trek to get there (way out of downtown) but it's apparently the biggest bowl in the southern hemisphere and it's so fun.

AND EAT PIES!!!!

You're definitely doing it right though my friend.  Just go get lost in that place.  The sheer amount of stuff you while find to do and see is insane.

Here's a helpful hint for you...if you're willing to take some risk.  At all the major bus and train stations...there's automatic ticket dispensors.  There's a trick that will get you on any bus, train and ferry for 24 hours for only $2.50.  Buy the sunday funday pass.  It's a mistake in their system (hopefully they haven't fixed it) but you can buy that pass any day of the week.  It will work in for every bus, train and ferry in all of Sydney and anywhere CityRail operates.  Basically you can go for about 3 hours from Sydney in each direction on that $2.50 pass.  If you ever get caught (I did once in 4 months I was there) I just acted confused, said someone recommended this ticket to me, and showed the officer my Canadian ID.  They were super nice about it and just told me to buy the right ticket next time.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2010, 09:16:47 PM »
They changed the sunday funday ticket I think.  You have to have a child with you now.

matt.

« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2010, 05:57:19 PM »
Few days deep

Sydney is fucking sick . Found the 3x 3 down , 4 big down , at pit street , the big black thingy , sick spot just as big as it is in the movies
Also seems to have find some bank thingy down in the harbour , 3 or 4 of them at the maritime exhebition area , think they were in fully flared .

Still trying to find my way here I get lost pretty much every 5 mins , but thats the way I like it . The party seems good and the girls are banging . Lots of fine ass australian girls and tons of asian girls . only missing some latin ones and its a perfect mix hah .

gonna look for the skate shop on oxford street tomorrow , and I found redfern last night , didnt seem to sketchy .

Skating seems pretty good here but alot of stuff is knobbed or blocked , need to get with some locals or have more time here if I want
to find the really good spots I guess .

If I like the job and I get it I can deff see myself doing afew years down here . Pretty fucking stoked

there's a new park in macquarie fields...bout an hour out of the city, pretty sketchy area but fun park if you can get out there.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2010, 09:31:24 AM »
So, Monty Burns, what problems did you have with your visa? Fuck, you guys are making me wish I was in Australia but I'm looking forward to Europe. I've been in London for about a week... Fucking expensive and Englands so dreary. Tube sucks too. headed to amsterdam this weekend for Halloween, the spending a few days in berlin and prague before I go work for a few weeks in Perugia, Italy. After that I'm gonna go backpack Eastern Europe....Gonna be cold as shit but I can't wait for everything to be cheap and Eastern European women are soooo hot. All in all, it's looking like it's gonna be a few months before I make it down to Oz but I can't wait to send out some messages and go shred. Fuckin' ay, I'll take Australian and Asian ladies over latin women any day of the week! I always found a huge draw towards australian women just to be that every one of them I've met has been super fucking cool and stoked on my accent. 

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2010, 09:51:49 AM »
So, Monty Burns, what problems did you have with your visa? Fuck, you guys are making me wish I was in Australia but I'm looking forward to Europe. I've been in London for about a week... Fucking expensive and Englands so dreary. Tube sucks too. headed to amsterdam this weekend for Halloween, the spending a few days in berlin and prague before I go work for a few weeks in Perugia, Italy. After that I'm gonna go backpack Eastern Europe....Gonna be cold as shit but I can't wait for everything to be cheap and Eastern European women are soooo hot. All in all, it's looking like it's gonna be a few months before I make it down to Oz but I can't wait to send out some messages and go shred. Fuckin' ay, I'll take Australian and Asian ladies over latin women any day of the week! I always found a huge draw towards australian women just to be that every one of them I've met has been super fucking cool and stoked on my accent. 

have you seen the movie hostel?

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2010, 10:05:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

have you seen the movie hostel?

Aaaaaaah, yeah I have. Total misrepresentation of hostels. If that movie was a fair depiction of how hostels really are, it would be closer to a porno than a horror movie. Honestly, what's the ratio of people you know who've gotten laid at hostels vs. people who never came back?

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2010, 05:18:45 PM »
Fuck man , Hostels suck , I hate it at mine , trying to sleep at night and ppl come home late from partying . Sleeping with 3 other ppl who make a mess of the room . HATE IT

Anyways things are looking up , start looking for a appartment now , cause I fucking have a job now , I got hired yday . Its a great place , lots of stress and good food , hard work and great ppl to work with , even a cute woman chef .  I can learn alot here

So Im gonna try to stay 1+ years

I like sydney , traffic is nuts here , had some real close calls the first day here . the girls are banging , ppl are nice and friendly .I can go visit melbourne , gold coast , perth  . New Z , and tasmania when I have afew days off . 

So almost one week into the trip , I love the city and country . great place .

Need to focus some time on work right now but soon its time for some serius skating time