Author Topic: Moving to Australia...?  (Read 15841 times)

matt.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
Re: Moving to Australia...?
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2011, 09:45:32 PM »
easter sydney slap pals sesh?

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2011, 03:23:11 AM »
When is easter?  i am down even if only to push around/meet up though maybe my hand will be better by then. 

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2011, 07:12:25 AM »
When is easter?  i am down even if only to push around/meet up though maybe my hand will be better by then. 

its in april sometime , late april i belive .   Im down , skate and drink slap pal sesh !

matt.

• Rep: -6
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »
Expand Quote
When is easter??  i am down even if only to push around/meet up though maybe my hand will be better by then.? 
[close]

its in april sometime , late april i belive .?  ? Im down , skate and drink slap pal sesh !

i think it might be the weekend of the 24th?

I'm down!

Diogenes

• Rep: 10
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2011, 10:04:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
When is easter??  i am down even if only to push around/meet up though maybe my hand will be better by then.? 
[close]

its in april sometime , late april i belive .?  ? Im down , skate and drink slap pal sesh !
[close]

i think it might be the weekend of the 24th?

I'm down!

Hopefully I'll be in Sydney by then, haven't decided whether to fly out on the 20th or 28th...
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give?

-Diogenes 412 BC-323 BC

Upon being told by Alexander The Great if there were anything in the world he wished for, he could have it.

Diogenes

• Rep: 10
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2011, 12:42:07 PM »
So after much delay, I've finally booked my ticket to Perth, anybody on here living there with some good info.?

Skate/job/travel/accomadation etc related advice all welcome!
I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give?

-Diogenes 412 BC-323 BC

Upon being told by Alexander The Great if there were anything in the world he wished for, he could have it.

clamy

« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2011, 04:39:59 AM »
Perth has a good scene, it's so isolated though that prems and demos never really reach there.

I want to go to Melbourne sometime this year, but I think Canberra is the way to go with the new park they've got down there.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2011, 07:37:38 AM »
after being overseas for 6 months i'm dreading going back to sydney due to how expensive everything is.  fuck sydney.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2011, 12:07:07 PM »
after being overseas for 6 months i'm dreading going back to sydney due to how expensive everything is.  fuck sydney.
i feel that way about australia in general. everything is so expensive after being in the US for a few years. if i ever move back there, i'll need a well-paying job for sure.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2011, 02:43:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i feel that way about australia in general. everything is so expensive after being in the US for a few years. if i ever move back there, i'll need a well-paying job for sure.

When New York property seems cheaper than Sydney, you know somethings fucked up.

ticklefingers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • middleweight lurker
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2011, 01:00:39 PM »

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2011, 02:47:32 PM »
But what are you going to do?  I just buy stuff overseas.  Plus it is 24 degrees in the winter in Sydney so things aren't so bad.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2011, 08:15:20 PM »
But what are you going to do?  I just buy stuff overseas.  Plus it is 24 degrees in the winter in Sydney so things aren't so bad.
climate and family are the biggest draw, but i have to wait until i get citizenship here before i can even consider it. currency wise it'll be back down to 80 cents US before soon, anyway.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2011, 09:05:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
climate and family are the biggest draw, but i have to wait until i get citizenship here before i can even consider it. currency wise it'll be back down to 80 cents US before soon, anyway.
That is what I am waiting for here before any moving/staying decisions are made,  I really like it here but miss my family a lot..  Should be less than a year though for citizenship.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2011, 12:20:29 PM »
I was supposed to move to Sydney or Melbourne and live/work there for two years. Los Angeles is where I was living before I headed that way and spent 6 months in Eastern Europe then made a stopover to visit a friend in Bangkok - Nothing new though I've traveled a lot but had never been to Australia. Price wise, It went from HOLY SHIT things are cheap, to SHIT things are still pretty cheap, to FUUUUCK this is the most expensive place I've ever been when I got to Australia. It's all relative though. If you live and work there, you save more just due to the price of things. Even so, I just figured if it's more expensive in Sydney than NYC I'm going to fucking NYC. Here I am. No regrets at all. Aside from moving in with two of the dirtiest, yet cute, girls ever and their 3 lame ass cats.

On another note though, the governments are pretty well set up and definitely take care of you more there. Scandinavia, Canada, and Australia always top the most livable places to live and quality of life indexes....however, I've come to find this most likely means boring to me. As the saying goes: In the U.S. if you have money, you can get the best of everything. If you don't, the government will leave you on the street to die.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2011, 07:18:33 AM »
I spent about a year in sydney and shit was fucking awsome .  Good weather and parks for skating . Nice restaurants and bars . lots of sightseeing . Its true its fucking expensive over there but I guess its worth it . Get roommates , buy stuff in cheap places . 

Live a little ghetto and enjoy one of the best citys in the world !

MOYL

• Rep: 0
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2011, 05:23:48 AM »
Perth is good if you want to chill in a place that is not as pretentious as Melbourne or as busy as Sydney.

Employment is also easier, provided you have a working visa.

Cost wise its still fairly pricey, for board/rent it definitely has better conditions. 

I would not say its better than the Eastern states skate wise seeing as though its a smaller city, but its not without its charm and they are a few spots you will recognize from a few recent high profile videos.

asakusa75

« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2011, 08:27:49 AM »
I love Sydney, best city in the world. Spots everywhere, summer kills it there. Close to the beach to go chill after skating. Pubs and chicks everywhere...and almost all the skaters are cool as. Mellow town.
Hit Hyde park on any sunday, after noon on the side with the big pond and the war memorial, and the boys will be having a session.
Guaranteed there will be beers afterwards and plenty of good times too.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 08:34:46 AM by asakusa75 »

PBODY

« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2011, 08:26:18 AM »
I know you guys have already talked about how expensive Melbourne is, but I'm seriously considering doing an exchange program at Swinburne for a semester in about a year. I wouldn't be working or anything and would be there for about 3 months. I've been saving a butt load of guap to make this happen, anyone have any advice in housing, skating, etc. ?

Harem

« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2011, 04:21:20 PM »
All Swinburne campus have housing, not sure how much it is, but it's relatively cheap. Which campus were you thinking of attending? All Swinbournes have famous spots as well ;D

In regards to Skateboarding. Bring your own set up + spare board as it's well documented that shit here is super expensive. If there is anything in particular you wanted to skate, let us know.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:23:49 PM by Harem »

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »
on campus housing at swinburne is not cheap. i wrote up a big reply for you and then my firefox crashed for some regular reason so i'll write it again at some stage.

PBODY

« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2011, 07:58:16 AM »
All Swinburne campus have housing, not sure how much it is, but it's relatively cheap. Which campus were you thinking of attending? All Swinbournes have famous spots as well ;D

I'm not sure yet, it's all still in the works but I'll let you know.
on campus housing at swinburne is not cheap. i wrote up a big reply for you and then my firefox crashed for some regular reason so i'll write it again at some stage.

So you're saying it would be cheaper to get an apartment? Thanks for the help.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »
I guess its like so many other countrys ,,  either you are a Malmo / Gothenburg / Stockholm person .   Same with Melbourne and Sydney .
If I go back its deff going to Sydney again . Ive been also to  Adelaide (sp?) and Brisbane , and while I love Brisbane , Brisbane was fucking sick . Sydney is where it is , fuck melbourne ...

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2011, 05:02:07 PM »
For sure get an apartment in the west or north. everywhere else is ridiculous rent-wise.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2011, 04:22:08 PM »
Lets try to get this slap pals sydney meet up going.  I don't have anyone to skate with.   

clamy

« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »
Anyone going to the Enjoi demo? It's at Bondi so I might make the trip down.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »
Anyone going to the Enjoi demo? It's at Bondi so I might make the trip down.

Bondi sucks so bad . Every time you told somebody you skated , they always asked if you skate at bondi . The pool is good if u can skate tranny good .

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2011, 03:35:55 AM »
Lets try to get this slap pals sydney meet up going.  I don't have anyone to skate with.   

i dont know if ill be back in sydney within the next few months, i'm really poor at the moment. come down to melbourne and make fun of hipsters with me

MAD FOE

« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2011, 05:16:58 AM »
If you're ever down around Perth, hit woolies up. always some mad crew down there

tb303

• Rep: -141
  • acid drop
« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2011, 04:55:06 PM »
You guys need to get a decent job, Melbourne and Sydney are not that expensive....