Author Topic: Backyard Pool Appreciation Thread  (Read 11678 times)

Eon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -9
Backyard Pool Appreciation Thread
« on: June 30, 2010, 10:44:59 PM »
Show appreciation and love to one of the most supreme forms of skateboarding.
The free floating carves, the growling coping, the rapid fire of tiles, and the occasional floaty frontside airs.

Every skater should have 'Skating a Pool' on their bucket lists.

Discuss. Peace.

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Backyard Pool Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 11:25:40 PM »
Hell Yeah!!  I got to skate a pool once about 5 years ago.  It was not very skateable.  You can see the coping is not grindable at all.  And it's in my hometown in Canada...so the concrete was all cracked and super rough.  But daaaaaamn was it fun.

post edit: Holy Shit my board is tiny in that photo.  That was back when I skated 7.5's.  I can't even imagine skating something that small now.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:27:32 PM by jeremyrandall »

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:36:13 PM »
Every skater should have 'Skating a Pool' on their bucket lists.
I know it's on mine, but I doubt I'll ever get to skate an actual backyard pool

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:22:20 AM »
I've skated two. One was more set up like bank to wallrides. The other was perfect. Skating a pool was on the list, but so was grinding real coping and carving over a light, got to do both there. I dropped in on it too. It was some meth head lady's pool. She had a son too. The backyard was filled with all sorts of garbage, a pit bull, and this poor 5 year old kid. Weird scene for sure. The kid actually was the one who would give us permission to skate the pool. When ma would come out he'd tell her we were his friends and she let it go. I guess after a while it got blown out though, and eventually mom didn't care who his friends were, nobody could skate the pool. I only got to skate it once, but it was rad. It was actually in the east bay, and I got to skate the hook for the first time the same day. Amazing day for sure.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

smally pooperman

• Rep: -7
  • R.I.P Farrah
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 02:29:33 AM »
i love lances part in extremly sorry.

3base

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 04:05:22 AM »
I've skated only one in my 22 years on the board. I'm in Australia so skateable pools don't come up too often. Definitely a bucket list moment. So much harder to skate than I thought. I'm way more amped on pool footage than I was before.

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 04:08:29 AM »
I've skated a skatepark pool a couple of times and it was fun as hell. But that doesn't count at all when talking about actual pools

spare change

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 07:18:36 AM »
Skating 20+ years and never skated a real pool.Hard to come by in washington.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 07:22:34 AM »

same here. 
i did skate one of those banked type pools when i was a kid but i don't think thats official. 

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 08:04:32 AM »
i'm really shocked at the amount of people here who've never skated a pool. i've skated a bunch. i also can't believe you made something so gnarly sound so gay in the first post. free floating? are you kidding me? try quick and deadly.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

sweets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • but(t) fuck, who's keeping track?
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 08:14:34 AM »
Every skateboarder should take a pilgrimage to Southern California just to skate some pools. Although, I just heard about one in the Philly suburbs just last week...
"instead of typing out some dumb reply to this post, go make some art, smell your own body, mate with your own hand, take a picture of your penis when it is in half-boner-mode and post it on slap." Tony

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 08:21:43 AM »
skated a bunch of them, definitely didn't shred any of them but they can be fun for a bit. i usually get bored though and mainly because i never hit the lip and get bored with craving them and they are usually way out of the way and only skated each one once so never really get a chance to progress. i have some photos on a hd at home with some pool adventures on it though, if i ever get it hooked up i'll post some. definitely fun to watch guys who know what they are doing rip them though.

Inbred Jed

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 08:24:46 AM »
I've skated between 15 and 20. I haven't skated one in a few years. I know where two empties are right now, but I am on court probation so I can't chance it.
We had one that was in a county park. My friends cleaned it out and we had it to ourselves all winter. We had to bucket rain water every time. We had to cross through a creek to get there so we had creek shoes stashed in the bushes. When the creek got too high we had to skate down a bike path a mile and cross the creek on the freeway shoulder. We had it for a long time and then some dudes from SF e=who had skated it in the 80's came to check it out. A month or two later it was a bust.

This is from like 5 or 6 years ago....

lem

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
I don't think I've skated any type of pool. But I might've found one at this apartment complex. It's empty and it's the summer, so either they don't want to swim or the landlord is lazy. Whatever the reason, I'm going to try and roll around one of these days, I want to skate a good pool.

mcpeepants

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 10:38:50 AM »
I've skated two. One was more set up like bank to wallrides. The other was perfect. Skating a pool was on the list, but so was grinding real coping and carving over a light, got to do both there. I dropped in on it too. It was some meth head lady's pool. She had a son too. The backyard was filled with all sorts of garbage, a pit bull, and this poor 5 year old kid. Weird scene for sure. The kid actually was the one who would give us permission to skate the pool. When ma would come out he'd tell her we were his friends and she let it go. I guess after a while it got blown out though, and eventually mom didn't care who his friends were, nobody could skate the pool. I only got to skate it once, but it was rad. It was actually in the east bay, and I got to skate the hook for the first time the same day. Amazing day for sure.

There's one like that about an hour from me. Got to skate it for a bit and it was a blast until the end. I was just doing a bs wallride as high as I could and my front truck got hung up on the coping and I fell straight onto my hip/wrist. I definitely wanna go back though!
you some closet dick-in-da-booty ass nigga.

Inbred Jed

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 11:14:31 AM »
I skated a bank to wallride pool, too. More like a bank to curb. The sides walls had normal, but lumpy transitions that turned into a bank in the deep end. The tiles and coping were set up like a bank to curb. I did some backside slappy rear truck scratches a few times, but mostly fell on my head.. My friend would blast crazy talislides on it.We skated in a bunch until some dude showed up one day and threatened to shoot us if we returned.

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 11:31:14 AM »
I've only skated a pool once. It was gnarly, dusty, and steep as shit. Didn't even carve over the light. My friend rock n rolled the deep end, and front rocked the shallow.

I prefer them filled with water on a hot day.

Has anyone seen Cancer Dust? Ryan Johnson kickflips over a set of stairs in the shallow end. That video's crazy.

steenz

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 11:38:04 AM »
my neighboors up the street got their house foreclosed so ive been skatin their pool evreyday

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 11:42:10 AM »
i skated a few as a young lad.  usually friends' parents who had drained pools and didn't know well enough to not let us skate them

have not skated any since i've been back skating.  i know for sure that some people i skate with definitely skate some secret pools but i have yet to get "the invite" .   maybe when i get backside smiths down they'll invite me
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 11:56:17 AM »
In my country they don't make the pools like that, just an square hole in the ground, sucks

Lurkenstock

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 12:04:20 PM »
Pools are always coming and going out here, I think I have skated about 2 dozen or maybe a little more in my life but could have skated way more.
Sometimes they just don't last too long or get blown out too quick, that's why the dudes who know where they all are tend to be so secretive about them.

Anyway, this one has been in circulation for about a year or so, good thing the housing market for these kinds of super rich neighborhoods is in the shitter.

There's a kink in it but grinds over the light are rad and if you're super gnar go get the deathbox, OR if you're beyond amazing grind over both in one crack.

Whatever, pools are sick, by all means go sesh if you ever get the chance, even if you're one of those cats that skates nothing but ledges and stairs, it's a great thing to experience.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:08:29 PM by Lurkenstock »

Crazy Ralph

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
  • You're all gonna die!
    • ShredNJ avatar image
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 12:15:09 PM »
used to be one around me in jersey and it was so hard to skate. also heard rumors of one in the philly suburbs i may check out. ever since skating one, i've had infinite amounts of respect for pool skating because it is fucking impossible
You either die a hero or live long enough to watch yourself become the Berra.

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 12:34:41 PM »
I've only ever heard about 2 or so, I've never actually seen a skatable one.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 01:05:06 PM »

you talking about the pool with the fence around it in the oakland hills? because i skated a pool up there one time that had a 5 year old kid too.

steve_lurkle

• Rep: -16
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 01:17:19 PM »
I had my pool drained for a couple days this summer, My friends and I got to skate it, It was amazing.

marginal way

• Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 01:22:05 PM »
lurk more.
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 02:10:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you talking about the pool with the fence around it in the oakland hills? because i skated a pool up there one time that had a 5 year old kid too.
No, it was in the hills in some town in the east bay, but I don't think it was Oakland. I forget the name of the town, but its the same city that the hook is in. I've heard stories about the fire pools up in the hills though.
Oh, and a correction to my last post, I've skated 3 pools, but the third pool just sucked all around and I barely even remember.
For all those people saying "pools are hard to come by around here," cut that excuse out. Pools are hard to come by EVERYWHERE.Even southern California. That's part of what makes them so rad. Such a rare and forbidden fruit.  I guarantee that the dudes on here saying they have skated a bunch of pools didn't find them accidentally.

Clayton

• Rep: 78
    • Spot Hunter avatar image
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
No, it was in the hills in some town in the east bay, but I don't think it was Oakland. I forget the name of the town, but its the same city that the hook is in. I've heard stories about the fire pools up in the hills though.
Oh, and a correction to my last post, I've skated 3 pools, but the third pool just sucked all around and I barely even remember.
For all those people saying "pools are hard to come by around here," cut that excuse out. Pools are hard to come by EVERYWHERE.Even southern California. That's part of what makes them so rad. Such a rare and forbidden fruit.  I guarantee that the dudes on here saying they have skated a bunch of pools didn't find them accidentally.

The Hook is in Castro Valley. I live 15 minutes from there and I've still never been to it. Blowin it.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 04:00:46 PM »
That's the one! The pool was in Castro Valley!

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 07:19:13 PM »
a few back home, the chase is haf the fun.