Author Topic: NEVER HAD A BAD VIDEO PART???  (Read 9587 times)

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: NEVER HAD A BAD VIDEO PART???
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 10:16:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i dont really care either way about koston . . but i never understood why people are soooo into him.
[close]
Its because he is one of the most progressive skaters of all time, did never been done tricks that have become super popular, shut down hubba at the height of its popularity as a spot, has had around a 20 year career where he has stayed ahead of the progression of just about everybody the entire time without falling off at all, even for a short period of time (something no other skater of his generation can even compare to), has won skater of the year from every major magazine on different years, has had arguably the best part in falling down, mouse, menikmati, and Yeah Right!, all of which were considered the biggest videos of the time they were released. I'm going to stop now even though. Let's just put it this way: if you don't know what the big deal around Koston is, you don't know a damn thing about skating at all.
[close]

thats a terrible argument though, i shouldn't have to know the context in which the part came out to enjoy it. i don't have to make special arguments to enjoy old parts from gino, heath, reynolds, gonz, kalis or carroll so why should I have to do that for koston?
What the fuck are you talking about? Watch these parts, and tell me you had to be there to enjoy them. All you have to do is understand good skateboarding and good style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eacC7nGdLn8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPsyRP_vtik
If you argue that you don't see what is so great about these parts, you just make yourself look stupid.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 10:27:27 PM »
Also, I was going to post a Kirchart part from that time to challenge the idea that those dudes parts are so timeless, but you can't even find most of his parts from the early 90's online- I couldn't find any. Reynolds too.

popsiclesandskatin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 10:59:09 PM »
koston had that part in chomp
that doesnt count but i remember tons of shit in it that sucked

appleyard has tons of good parts

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 11:10:16 PM »
^ That was 100% goof off footage, and was amazing for being goof off footage.

bandini

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 11:16:35 PM »
This is one of those arguments that only happens on the internet.

Online it's like you have to either like idiosyncratic (and yes, occasionally sketchy) style like Koston's or picture perfect (ie: robot) style like Prod.

In real life, most skaters I know have the ability to appreciate BOTH.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 10:29:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i dont really care either way about koston . . but i never understood why people are soooo into him.
[close]
Its because he is one of the most progressive skaters of all time, did never been done tricks that have become super popular, shut down hubba at the height of its popularity as a spot, has had around a 20 year career where he has stayed ahead of the progression of just about everybody the entire time without falling off at all, even for a short period of time (something no other skater of his generation can even compare to), has won skater of the year from every major magazine on different years, has had arguably the best part in falling down, mouse, menikmati, and Yeah Right!, all of which were considered the biggest videos of the time they were released. I'm going to stop now even though. Let's just put it this way: if you don't know what the big deal around Koston is, you don't know a damn thing about skating at all.
[close]

thats a terrible argument though, i shouldn't have to know the context in which the part came out to enjoy it. i don't have to make special arguments to enjoy old parts from gino, heath, reynolds, gonz, kalis or carroll so why should I have to do that for koston?
[close]
What the fuck are you talking about? Watch these parts, and tell me you had to be there to enjoy them. All you have to do is understand good skateboarding and good style:
If you argue that you don't see what is so great about these parts, you just make yourself look stupid.

for goldfish, he has some good things here and there but for the most part that was like watching some random kids sponsor me tape, and then the same goes for all his 101 parts, his H-street part was alright though. theres nothing to argue about as far as mouse is concerned, its a good part through and through. i think that, hot chocolate and yeah right is his best stuff, all the shit outside of that era of koston is alright but not great.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2010, 11:52:16 AM »
Busenitz, Ryan Smith, Marc Johnson, and Tom Penny. I don't remember them having any bad parts.

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2010, 12:04:05 PM »
Lance Mountain
tricks are for kids , style is forever

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

for goldfish, he has some good things here and there but for the most part that was like watching some random kids sponsor me tape, and then the same goes for all his 101 parts, his H-street part was alright though. theres nothing to argue about as far as mouse is concerned, its a good part through and through. i think that, hot chocolate and yeah right is his best stuff, all the shit outside of that era of koston is alright but not great.
Watch his part in goldfish, then watch some other bullshit like a new deal video, or a video part of any of those dudes you claim are timeless that came out at that time and you will be blown away. Koston was skating at the level of style required of people today when tic tacs and 2 inch mob flips were the standard.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -118
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2010, 01:20:28 PM »
if you wanna bring up style, i believe a visual sound came out less than a year after goldfish. theres no denying that koston was/is amazing, i just think that a lot of guys get overlooked.

Silent Bob.

• Rep: 67
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 01:55:43 PM »
Daewon

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »
if you wanna bring up style, i believe a visual sound came out less than a year after goldfish. theres no denying that koston was/is amazing, i just think that a lot of guys get overlooked.
You don't know shit about skating. Stop dropping names and video titles that you think mean something because somebody told you so. Like I said before, all of the things you have said in this thread have robbed you of any credibility in terms of talking about skating.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Watch his part in goldfish, then watch some other bullshit like a new deal video, or a video part of any of those dudes you claim are timeless that came out at that time and you will be blown away. Koston was skating at the level of style required of people today when tic tacs and 2 inch mob flips were the standard.

i knew you were going to say that so like I said before, timeless means the context of the part is unnecessary, it should stand on its own two legs, and that shit doesn't, there are flashes where hes skating awesome but then theres sludge lines where the tiny wheels rear their ugly heads. i think gonz's work speaks for itself, just watch ginos 101 parts, snuff said, carrolls part in goldfish doesnt have sludge lines in it, better spots and lines, easy, kalis was a little newer than koston but i think timecode speaks for itself, heavy metal does get a little slow but the spots are so much better, i just saw heaths ravers part and that shit is just as painful as kostons 101 stuff, even tentacles is kinda eh but it had josh beagle in it so thats kinda nerfed but if you go to rolling thunder, that part is definitely the emergence of the heath we all know and love, everything in that still looks good and from that point on its been 15+ years of destruction, i could probably say the same thing about reynolds but hes already skating pretty fast in that, the big tees little wheels and walrus boards weren't helping him at all.

another guy to add to this list is wade speyer,, he deserved more exposure, its too bad that think part was the last big part he ever produced he should've gone with drehobl over to DLX instead of black label

BriDen

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2010, 06:13:36 PM »

100% disagree. Koston's Chomp part was one of his best, if not his very best.

All of his other parts get very low re-watches. Koston's parts are insane the first time you see them because of the progression. But so are Ronson Lambert's. It's the style that makes me want to not watch those parts again. Style is completely subjective, but let's just say that you don't see Koston in many "top 10 style" lists.

bandini

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
you don't see Koston in many "top 10 style" lists.

He'd definitely be in mine.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but part of "good style" to me is style that is distinctly your own. Koston's got that - no one else skates like him.

I admire the hell out of kids who land everything super clean and perfect - you'll never hear me saying the "robot" thing in a negative way. But that on its own isn't enough to give you style. You also have to have some personality.

Personality goes a long way...

Creager's an example of a guy who's amazingly clean, yet also has immense style. Often it comes with getting older. A dude like Grant Taylor has awesome style to me, in part because he skates like he's a lot older than he is.

It's all just opinions, tho - nobody's right or wrong.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2010, 08:10:18 PM »
Creager should be on this list.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2010, 08:14:07 PM »
^ Creager is amazing, and I love all footage of him, but his Menikmati part was damn lazy and disappointed me when it came out.

Koston's style is amazing. He has a playful looking, energetic, almost bouncy style. On top of that he does everything as clean as can be done.

And Bandini- I don't know what to say, if you don't know how important those parts were to skating's progression, as well as how good they still are, I can't explain it to you. But none of the parts or dudes you talked about except Carroll or Gonz are even in the same league. Yes, that includes Gino and Reynolds.

bandini

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2010, 10:38:18 PM »
And Bandini- I don't know what to say, if you don't know how important those parts were to skating's progression

Huh? I think you meant that for someone else - I actually agree with you on this one.

popsiclesandskatin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2010, 11:00:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

100% disagree. Koston's Chomp part was one of his best, if not his very best.

All of his other parts get very low re-watches. Koston's parts are insane the first time you see them because of the progression. But so are Ronson Lambert's. It's the style that makes me want to not watch those parts again. Style is completely subjective, but let's just say that you don't see Koston in many "top 10 style" lists.

i think every part in chomp has that going for it that you just want to rewatch it.

when i posted that it was a while since i last watched his part and in my head all i could think of was the sketchy back to back manny line which wasnt as bad as i remember and that one line with the boardslide where his feet fall off completely then he does the late flip and hes like crawling away but i watched it again and its not as fruity as his lakai part. it was a raw part that still is awesome.

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 12:15:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You don't know shit about skating. Stop dropping names and video titles that you think mean something because somebody told you so. Like I said before, all of the things you have said in this thread have robbed you of any credibility in terms of talking about skating.
You don't know shit about skating. Stop dropping names and video titles that you think mean something because somebody told you so. Like I said before, all of the things you have said in this threadon this forum have robbed you of any credibility in terms of talking about skating.

kazbenson

• Rep: -271
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 02:34:33 AM »
God.... I cant believe this argument exists! Koston is the best lol he was good in mouse and goldfish and his fully flared was just as good as the new guys like mike mo. And he has the raddest style.
koston's career isn't based on the site...

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2010, 05:19:06 AM »
im not saying hes a horrendous skater, I actually love his stuff from the late 90s-early 00s, im just saying he has a couple bad parts which is the topic of this conversation, im sure his old stuff was progressive when it came out but it isnt anymore and some of it looks pretty weird and doesnt hold up, all that really old shit sucks even for some of the guys I listed so its not like im saying its only koston.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »
So who is on the complete moron list so far from this thread?
The ghost of Lenny Kirk, who doesn't realize that most of his favorite skaters used to watch Koston's parts so they would know what to copy, and thinks their copying it makes Koston's parts less important.

Gnarles Manson, who is just a stupid uncreative clone, and can't back up what he was saying. The copy of goldfish I had was bought at a sketchy shop that dubbed the videos and sold them together on a tape. A visual sound and goldfish were on the same tape I bought at the time (when it came out, not after somebody told me a decade later that I should see it if I want to be cool). I wasn't disappointed with the skating or the style in goldfish at all. Guess if a skater from Goldfish or Visual Sound won skater of the year that year? It was Mike Carroll. Carroll and Koston both were easily on par style wise with the visual sound people. But you have just seen videos and read magazines that claim nobody had style until a visual sound came out. Guess what? That is a generalization about the era, not an absolute comparison. Were you there gnarles? No you weren't. Does this mean you have a worse perspective on it? Absolutely. Is it Koston's fault that every trick he does eventually gets bitten by every skater who wants to make a name for themselves? No. You don't know shit kid, its obvious when you post in this topic. Also, tell me what videos I have posted about that I haven't seen or don't know about. Shut up and stop making yourself look regular.

Briden, who compared Koston to Ronson Lambert and claimed he wasn't on anybody's top ten list. Smash your head into a brick wall until you feel liquid pouring out of it.

Also, apologies to Bandini, who gets it and should not be on the moron list.

BitchTits

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 12:08:08 PM »

GnarlesManson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »
gipper, i dont even know what youre trying to say

are you saying my opinion is wrong?
(my opinion being that there are good skateboarders other than koston)
and personally i do feel that carroll was sicker back then(he is one of my favorite skateboarders of all time)

and im a stupid uncreative clone? cool!

edit: heres my previous statements that make me a moron and a stupid uncreative clone who can't back up what he's saying

what im saying: i think theres other good skaters aside from koston and i think the guys in a visual sound had cool style.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:02:56 PM by GnarlesManson »

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2010, 01:12:55 PM »
again, you're a complete idiot, im fully aware of how progressive his parts were, but its not 1993 anymore, its 2010, and those 101 parts look regular by todays standards, which coincidentally is what I'm using as the standard to answer the post. watching it now, its a bad part and it doesnt matter how relevant it was, it doesn't make the watching experience more enjoyable.

BriDen

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2010, 03:29:13 PM »
Damn gipper, chill. You're getting way too defensive of koston and looking like an idiot in the process.

Briden, who compared Koston to Ronson Lambert and claimed he wasn't on anybody's top ten list. Smash your head into a brick wall until you feel liquid pouring out of it.

You misinterpreted the fuck out of my post. I mentioned Ronson against the argument about progression. They are both progressive and have that "nbd" factor going for them, but that doesn't make them have good style, which was the whole point of every post I made so far in this thread.

And I said top ten style list. I'm not that naive.

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2010, 10:14:31 PM »
cardiel, jerry, silas, and despite lack of a song in his 411 part: Manderson.

cheese

• Rep: -68
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2010, 08:43:47 AM »
jason adams

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »
Ghost of Lenny Kirk, what are your thoughts on this part?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHPMlIhWmAk
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.