Author Topic: out to europe, brb  (Read 3816 times)

longballlarry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
out to europe, brb
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:02:20 AM »
heading to Europe in a couple of days for 3 weeks. I'll be in Paris, London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, and possibly Munich. I will be with the girlfriend so I will not be skateboarding but want some local insights in to what to do out there, where to go, and what to see, or any special events i should know about etc.

If anyone wants to grab a beer or chill while I'm out there I can give out the exact dates when I'll be in each city. I'm still in the process of looking for places to stay so if anyone knows of any good deals etc let me know.

If you've been to any of these places let me know your stories/opinions
I used to post

daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
Re: out to europe, brb
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »
You should really bring your skateboard just incase because you might go crazy walking around there and seeing spots and other people skating.

and look at www.hostelworld.com for cheap places to stay, you can find hostels guest houses and even apartments on there.

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • kim you need to leave him
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:44:01 AM »
When in London i would avoid Oxford street, a lot of people seem to think they have to go, its so fucking packed and the shops are just big branded ones (you may want to go if you want to hit up Nike Town or Topman or something), i recommend going to Camden, thats a really cool place. Go to some markets like Portobello, maybe hit up Southbank (shame you cant skate there but the areas really nice anyway). I can't really think of anything right now. Theres an Imax right by the southabnk area if you want to see that sort of thing? I guess touristy things you could do are like go up the london eye, london dungeons, madame tuesaueds (sp), tower of london, St Pauls, Abbey Road, Harrods etc. Sorry im not much help right now but i can't really think of much things. Its a shame your not skating, theres loads to skate in London

manonthemoon

• Rep: 65
  • Yeup.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »
Have a good time man, I went to Europe in March and it was insane!
Wake up.

In Lieu

• Rep: 15
  • happy go hatred
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 01:28:02 PM »
When in London i would avoid Oxford street, a lot of people seem to think they have to go, its so fucking packed and the shops are just big branded ones (you may want to go if you want to hit up Nike Town or Topman or something), i recommend going to Camden, thats a really cool place. Go to some markets like Portobello, maybe hit up Southbank (shame you cant skate there but the areas really nice anyway). I can't really think of anything right now. Theres an Imax right by the southabnk area if you want to see that sort of thing? I guess touristy things you could do are like go up the london eye, london dungeons, madame tuesaueds (sp), tower of london, St Pauls, Abbey Road, Harrods etc. Sorry im not much help right now but i can't really think of much things. Its a shame your not skating, theres loads to skate in London

don't go to camden, it's fucking shit and full off ville vallo impersonators, and "dealers" trying to sell tourists bags of grass. but if you want some sweet avenged sevenfold bootleg hoodies and a septum piercing, it's the place to be.

possibly check out brick lane on a market day if you can handle the amount of art fags, there's some nice shops there(for both you and your girlfriend) and rough trade records, which is awesome. agreed on the southbank area in general, have a look at what exhibitions etc are on, as there's usually a lot of decent free ones. it's generic, but as tourists you will both enjoy it, walking along the thames in that area is really nice.

when you know specific dates you're in london, feel free to pm me and i'll recommend some good things to be out for. some of my friends are involved in an art exhibition in brick lane next month which is all gonna be skateboard orientated and illustrated on pairs of vans chukkas, worth a look if you're there around that time. good luck d00d.
EYTAFIOK

nice weather

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »
So, if we're tossing around recommendations now: When in Berlin try to take the time and take a look at topography of terror. Definetely a bummer, but a must see kindof. Get off at subwaystop Kochstraße and walk down the street of the same name. Can't miss it.
On sundays check out Mauerbach fleemarket, that's at subwaystop Bernauer Straße. Also impossible to miss with all the people going there and really fun.
Badeschiff can also be recommended and once you're there, you can stay for the nearby Club der Visionäre. Really nice place too.
Get off at subway Schlesisches Tor, walk down Schlesische Straße and cross the canal and both are pretty much right in front of you.

If you're in Munich after september 8th, shoot me a pm.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 683
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 03:32:21 PM »
Paris:
Go to L'as du Falafel in the Marais.  Simply amazing falafel for cheap.  Rue des Rosiers. st paul metro.

Visit the Catacombs.  Crazy connecting underground burial site of french revolutionaries and crazy heads sticking out.

Eifel tower, Notre Dame and the Louvre museum since you probably aren't coming back anytime soon.

Make sure to pack a cheap but likely delicious bottle of wine, some cheese, and some baguettes from a boulangerie and head to a park for some picnicing.  Buttes-Chaumont is a nice one.  The promenade plantee is also nice and leads to a good park for sitting.

Get a metro pass but also try to walk as much as possible.  no taxis.

i'm jealous

I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 08:05:39 PM »
While in Amsterdam, DO NOT EAT THE MUSHROOMS. They are far more potent than the garbage we have here. I thought I could handle it, but I couldn't have been more wrong. As for some weed, go to a smaller, family owned shop not a chain like "the bulldog" or somthing like that. If you can ditch your girl for a bit, grab a hooker. 50 euros for quikie and its just like window shopping.

If you're going to the Lourve, its closed on Tuesdays for some stupid, french reason.

Enjoy yourself most importantly.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 11:52:08 PM »
The Louvre is carnage in Summer. Go early and expect to stay for 12 hours to see most of what's on offer. I'd wait til just before closing before you try and see the Mona Lisa and some of the more iconic stuff that's there. Or all you'll get is a sea of tourists holding their cameras in the air snapping like mad.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:08:35 AM by Mouth »
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 04:58:24 AM »
maybe hit up Southbank (shame you cant skate there but the areas really nice anyway). I can't really think of anything right now.
Why? I'm actually going to go skate there today and Mile End afterwards seeing as today is my first day off in six days.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 05:06:00 AM »
Bring skateboard. Skate this.

letsgobois

• Rep: -25
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »
Ditch the woman, you won't need her where your going.

http://www.fkktour.com/

stefan

• Rep: 14
    • Stefan Groenendijk Photos avatar image
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 01:19:32 PM »
pm me for info on amsterdam.
to busy to type now

longballlarry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 04:52:12 AM »
leaving in a couple of hours. thanks for all the advice. keep it coming.
I used to post