Author Topic: stripping the truck bolts  (Read 5613 times)

yobzobbler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -21
stripping the truck bolts
« on: August 09, 2010, 01:50:51 PM »
putting together a board today and i totally, totally wore down the bolt slots. sure, it's fine now and the bolts are perfectly level w/ the grip and board - but these are so bad that come whenever im going to need to remove these trucks im not sure ill be able to use the screwgun to take them out. literally using the screwgun on a couple of the bolts catches absolutely nothing, it just spins.

any way one can remove the trucks w/out smashing apart the board in order to access the screws in order to pry them out? do you like my long sentences?

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: stripping the truck bolts
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 01:52:40 PM »
Get a hacksaw, cut the bolts.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:54:51 PM »
/thread
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

hfrancis

• Rep: -1
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:24:04 PM »
left-handed drill-bits will do the trick.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:23:07 PM »
if you cant or dont want to do the other suggestions you can always try to just use a normal skatetool and use alot of downward pressure. ive never liked setting up boards with drills

Cold Pizza

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 08:43:23 PM »
Take a screw driver, and a hammer.  On each bolt hammer to screw driver into the stripped bolt to create some sort of grip, and remove on the other side with a skate key.  I've done this dozens of times and it always works pretty well.

yobzobbler

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:13:43 PM »
if you cant or dont want to do the other suggestions you can always try to just use a normal skatetool and use alot of downward pressure. ive never liked setting up boards with drills

Really? I found it impossible to get the bolts flush with the mighty might of the screw gun. No matter how hard I pressed the little head of the bolts still insisted on popping out a little. I probably have more muscles than this entire forum as well. I think it's needless to say that I am fucking ripped.

I mean I bench at least 200 just when waking up. Before bed? 250, baby. 300 pushups before breakfast. 200 curls after lunch.

guapo

• Rep: -7
  • Brick Squad
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 09:24:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Really? I found it impossible to get the bolts flush with the mighty might of the screw gun. No matter how hard I pressed the little head of the bolts still insisted on popping out a little. I probably have more muscles than this entire forum as well. I think it's needless to say that I am fucking ripped.

I mean I bench at least 200 just when waking up. Before bed? 250, baby. 300 pushups before breakfast. 200 curls after lunch.
is this you?
You never know what you have until you're gone,
But you're are the reason for me,
That I can do this consistently.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 09:29:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i must be magic then because i always use a just a t-tool and get all the bolts either flush or almost flush. then i skate for 5 minutes and tighten them and theyre perfectly flush

aojiru

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 09:50:06 PM »
Screwgun meaning you used a drill with a screwdriver bit? I usually use a regular screwdriver and use the drill to tighten the nuts.  But then again, I also usually get new bolts when I set up a new deck.

yobzobbler

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 10:59:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i must be magic then because i always use a just a t-tool and get all the bolts either flush or almost flush. then i skate for 5 minutes and tighten them and theyre perfectly flush

yeah that could possibly it... you can apply more force with a skate tool, versus me just kinda pushing it in w/ a regular screwdriver sideways. but im always hesitant about that kinda shit...skate hardware, to me, preys on the skaters who emphasize image over all else; like they absolutely NEED to have a logo on their bolts. who the fuck is ever going to look? thats the thing... i bought some of my parts at zumiez (im sorry im sorry) and a skate tool + hardware would've been 15 dollars. at ace hardware, bolts are 8cents each, and not only can you get a screw-driver and wrench; you can get the regular version of each. total of 3 dollars. and now you've got a wrench and screwdriver you can use for the rest of your life on literally everything. like honestly theres just that side of skateboarding that pisses me off, where prices for shit are so overblown because they have a "sick graphic" on them.

and yeah i know, im rambling.

but yeah, aojiru, i used an electric screwgun... i dont see the point in doing it manually first than screwing it electrically when you can just bust a nut and do it all in one swoop (electric).

but the sawing is good advice, thanks.

aojiru

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 04:21:37 AM »
I don't do it twice. there's a bit you can get that you can use to tighten the nuts with the drill while you hold the screwdriver/hex key still. not sure what it's called though.

jojo_fosho

• Rep: -2
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 04:44:43 AM »
Just cut your bolts you pussy

yobzobbler

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 05:33:18 AM »
Just cut your bolts you pussy

just cut your dick off faggit

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 07:00:09 AM »
Tim Taylor in the fucking house.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 08:41:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah that could possibly it... you can apply more force with a skate tool, versus me just kinda pushing it in w/ a regular screwdriver sideways. but im always hesitant about that kinda shit...skate hardware, to me, preys on the skaters who emphasize image over all else; like they absolutely NEED to have a logo on their bolts. who the fuck is ever going to look? thats the thing... i bought some of my parts at zumiez (im sorry im sorry) and a skate tool + hardware would've been 15 dollars. at ace hardware, bolts are 8cents each, and not only can you get a screw-driver and wrench; you can get the regular version of each. total of 3 dollars. and now you've got a wrench and screwdriver you can use for the rest of your life on literally everything. like honestly theres just that side of skateboarding that pisses me off, where prices for shit are so overblown because they have a "sick graphic" on them.

and yeah i know, im rambling.

but yeah, aojiru, i used an electric screwgun... i dont see the point in doing it manually first than screwing it electrically when you can just bust a nut and do it all in one swoop (electric).

but the sawing is good advice, thanks.

yeah, i feel you. get some shorties bolts and a t-tool from your local shop and it will be less than 15 bucks and last you forever with no problems

cheese

• Rep: -68
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 08:47:47 AM »
just blow up the whole thing

Inbred Jed

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 10:45:20 AM »
I just point at them in a menacing manner and then they screw themselves in if they know what's good for them.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 379
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 02:45:11 PM »
Switch to Allen bolts too, as long as your key fits, they rarely strip

Everyone says this or uses Allen bolts and they've always stripped on me. Even when I have the right size. It's normal bolts for me all the way.

marginal way

• Rep: 51
  • making it happen
    • marginal way website avatar image
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 04:43:37 PM »
are those in the same aisle at home depot as the left-handed shovels?
i'm not the official voice of the park, i'm just a guy who skates and works there...
www.marginalwayskatepark.org

twitter- @MWDIY facebook- http://www.facebook.com/mwdiy

niclopse

• Rep: -38
  • Reaching for the Light
    • Adaptoids CBD Vitamins avatar image
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »
just blow up the whole thing

by far the coolest suggestion.

Instagram: @niclopse