Author Topic: Slap photo heads, I need some help w/ the basics!  (Read 714 times)

agent dale cooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
  • damn good coffee...and hot!
Slap photo heads, I need some help w/ the basics!
« on: August 23, 2010, 02:08:20 PM »
This is pretty long, but I really need a few extra bucks so I can take some classes in SF for the spring semester.

So here is my deal:  I mostly get by on freelance writing and photo stuff but I met an ok go who has a temp.  opening at his studio just outside of Chicago (where I am now).  I don't really have any studio experience and never took any photo classes; I've only ever worked with places that want "cool vintage-y" kind of looks, basically Ryan McGinley's influence trickling down into the advertising.  Anyway, the guy liked some of the stuff I did for a tiny record label here and some stuff for the American Apparel site, and was like, "Oh yeah if you can make digital photos look like that w/ photoshop, the stuff here will be cake for you." 

The problem is, he asked me to fill out this production test as "a formality," thinking it would be like second nature to me.  But it's not.  I've only ever shot weirder natural light stuff and I barely get what this kind of run-of-the mill portraiture is supposed to be like.  So, if there is anyone out there with studio experience, please help me w/ this shit.  I know this was pretty long-winded, but I definitely need the cash and prefer this to working some shit job at Urban Outfitters or something like most people I know here.

Test:  http://www.srinsider.com/production_test.htm

Mostly dumb riddles and stuff, pretty pointless.  But for the photo stuff:  is 11 w/ the fat chick C?

Is 12 B?  Is 13 the glare off the glasses for black the guy?  Not sure about the girl or jock-looking dude.  Last guy has to be eyes closed.

14.  Underexposed, weird shadow, spots on wall, awkward girl pose?  Maybe?

If anybody cared enough to read through this, thanks.
And here I sit so patiently
Waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of
Going through all these things twice