Author Topic: Screened Boards  (Read 4102 times)

manuel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Screened Boards
« on: August 10, 2010, 07:41:55 AM »
Does anyone know of any companies that still screen there boards?

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
Re: Screened Boards
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 08:25:47 AM »
a lot of places still do it. they screen the heat transfer sheet. then transfer it. so it literally transfers the paint. it doesn't chip and look cheap like a china print. (lazer print heat transfer)
dunno of anyone who screens the bottom ply, then presses it. or uses curved screens. im sure a lot of DIYrs out there are doing it. ask around the locals.

cheese

• Rep: -68
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:28:09 AM »
mike vs company does

dino conflict

• Rep: 13
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 08:32:17 AM »
I went to TUMYETO not too long ago and though they dont use them they still have a couple set ups to screen print on boards stored in their warehouse. However i did get to heat transfer my own TOY  graphic.

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 08:37:15 AM »
Pocket Pistols and Hosoi Skates

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 08:45:48 AM »
The startups still do. I think Point in Vegas will print whatever the fuck, however the fuck you want it.

jacquesknife

• Rep: -29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 09:10:15 AM »

Magic Pizza

• Rep: 175
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 09:12:53 AM »
Telegraph, Brian Lotti's own.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 09:14:39 AM »

is that confirmed?

manuel

• Rep: -3
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 11:29:06 AM »
You guys will have to excuse me but I've been out of skateboarding for 10 years.
Why have so many company's gone to heat transfers? Also do any companies use stained wood as well?
I went to a local skate shop and everything seemed to painted and heat transferred, they reminded me of crappy Powell Peralta bonite boards.

Magic Pizza

• Rep: 175
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

is that confirmed?

I talked to a guy who was setting one up as a cruiser at the shop. The deck he had was unmistakably screen printed, and he said he was a friend of Lotti's, and at this point all the decks are printed that way. I could imagine it could change if they were to expand their distribution though.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 11:51:17 AM »
You guys will have to excuse me but I've been out of skateboarding for 10 years.
Why have so many company's gone to heat transfers? Also do any companies use stained wood as well?
I went to a local skate shop and everything seemed to painted and heat transferred, they reminded me of crappy Powell Peralta bonite boards.

if you do a china lazer print. its full color. its cheap.. theres that.
you can screen print onto a transfer sheet, then transfer the paint via the heat. it give you the same effect as straight screen printing onto the board. but you get to screen onto a flat surface, so you get a more consistant transfer. the screen and transfer technic give you radicially different final product then CMYK lazer prints.

and last time i was in a shop.. sunday.. most of the boards had A LOT of stained layers.

for example.. heres a board from my small company. with stained wood. and single color screen print.

but yes, lot of companies now use CMYK lazer prints. its cheaper and you get all the colors.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

is that confirmed?
[close]

I talked to a guy who was setting one up as a cruiser at the shop. The deck he had was unmistakably screen printed, and he said he was a friend of Lotti's, and at this point all the decks are printed that way. I could imagine it could change if they were to expand their distribution though.
I recall reading somewhere that (the first batch at least) were done by the man himself.

HubbaAdsGiveMeBoners

• Rep: -8
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
These guys screen print, local Philly company.

http://www.skateswords.com/

SKATESWORDS - PICKING UP THE SWORDS

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 01:38:50 PM »
Sean Cliver said that it's just prohibitively expensive to do full-color screen runs. I can't find the article, but I thought he said that if you were to go that route, each board would probably cost around $120.

Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.