Author Topic: Thinner high tops anyone?  (Read 3839 times)

foureyedjim

Thinner high tops anyone?
« on: January 27, 2014, 03:13:43 AM »
I like blazers and camups vulc highs but sometimes they feel a bit bulky around the ankles.
Wondering if any of you guys have recommendations for good high tops that aren't bulky at all

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Thinner high tops anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:15:33 AM »
Converse?

tom

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 03:16:37 AM »
Its sounds like what you're describing is a pair of old school converse high tops but good luck having those things last more than half a session

silkyjohnson

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 03:17:23 AM »
sk8 highs are really good

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 03:18:55 AM »
huf huppers super thin around the ankles

foureyedjim

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 03:21:33 AM »
sk8 highs are really good

I haven't tried the pro versions yet, but I do like the normal ones for the short time that the sole isn't super flat
try the pros?

huf huppers super thin around the ankles

yeah I've considered it in the past but they're so expensive (like 80ish). 

I actually might consider the cons ctas highs as long as my feet don't wiggle around so much.  I have the low tops and they're not very good for skating cuz they're so loose.

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 12:08:09 PM »

foureyedjim

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »
sweet, turns out they got indio's for 30 bucks online
 ;D

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 01:01:24 PM »
Adidas made the americana in a mid too it might be thinned down a bit......I think everyone's over biting half cabs.....

Mundungus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • ∆∆∆
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 01:17:42 PM »
I always roll my ankles in Half-Cabs but that's probably just me

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »
I know iPath gets kooked on quite a bit (with good reason) but the Ashbury is a thin mid and it's a damn good skate shoe.

Emerica High Laced - very thin high cut shoe.

The Adidas Seeley Mid is a beautiful shoe, thin but very supportive around the ankle, but the sole is terrible. I am a big fan of Adidas vulc soles, so I wasn't expecting anything different when I bought them but they are awful.

Let me know how you like the Lakai Indio. I like skating thin mid but I've never tried those.

EDIT: I can't wait for the Lakai Camby Mid and the Habitat Yuma Mid to drop. Both look perfect.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:36:40 PM by heritage »

foureyedjim

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 01:49:45 PM »

Let me know how you like the Lakai Indio. I like skating thin mid but I've never tried those.

alright, will do.  I tried looking up reviews but nothing came up.  I'm gonna guess they're gonna be like a slightly slimmer blazer

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 03:22:13 PM »
 ;D
are they canvas? I wouldn't bother, just pay extra for the suede quite life ones

foureyedjim

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 04:55:38 PM »
Expand Quote
 ;D
[close]
are they canvas? I wouldn't bother, just pay extra for the suede quite life ones

Suede ones of atlas' online shop

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 07:33:24 PM »
New balance has got something that looks really thin too.....

I'm skating those Adidas campuses and yeah...they wear super good....no blow out seams....I think they aren't in the new line.....

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 07:43:48 PM »

Forgot all about mentioning those....NB Brighton High. Definitely a thin shoe. I posted a pic in the 'Wearing' thread. The durability has been really good.

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 01:04:32 PM »
dylan mids or huppers.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 09:54:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Forgot all about mentioning those....NB Brighton High. Definitely a thin shoe. I posted a pic in the 'Wearing' thread. The durability has been really good.

I was thinking about trying them, along with other NB models, but I can't justify spending 80 bucks for a vulc shoe from a new company

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 11:29:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I was thinking about trying them, along with other NB models, but I can't justify spending 80 bucks for a vulc shoe from a new company

I hear you on that one brother. Truth be told when I bought them I had a 15% coupon code. I know that sounds so damn cheap, but I'm just being honest. I really like them and I skate them often, but I'd have a hard time spending $80 on any skate shoe.

My only 'gripe' with the shoe (if you could call it that) is that I don't understand why they made the tread pattern the way they did in the forefoot (gives the appearance of a very worn out Vans waffle). Just seems odd and they made it that way for literally no reason at all.

foureyedjim

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 02:34:28 PM »
dylan mids

I actually have a pair of these.  A little low and very thin.  Good quality shoe but too thin for me.

The Indio's came in and here are my initial impressions:
-higher up the ankle than the actual blazers by a tiny bit
-the laces are a tad short, making it hard to lace them up all the way unless you keep the laces tight at each pair of eyelets
-pretty much your standard vulc, nothing special about the sole, I expect it to become a lil flatter over time
-the ankles are much less padded than the blazers

I would be down to try those brightons if they're high up enough.  what's it like in comparison to other mid tops?

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »
I would be down to try those brightons if they're high up enough.  what's it like in comparison to other mid tops?

They completely cover the part of your ankle that sticks out but they're not as high as Indio or Blazers...but are a little bit higher than Janoski Mid and Howard Desert Boots. The collar (opening) is cut on an angle back, not straight across like most mids. They are designed to give great lateral support and they do just that.

They are a low profile vulc, the sole is not thick at all. And the overall fit of the shoe is super tight and close to the foot.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 06:05:45 AM »
Jim - One other thing to tell you about the Brighton is that (IMO) they ruined a perfectly good shoe with that odd sole pattern. They basically 'smashed' the waffle in the forefoot area and it's an inexplicable design flaw. One that was made just for something to do. It could be mental on my part, but it feels a little slippery to me in the forefoot area and a vulc should never feel even remotely slippy...that's sort of the number 1 feature of a vulc sole. But otherwise it's a perfect shoe. Thin/slim design, great toe shape, excellent heel lock, very snug and close to the foot design.

I will qualify that entire thought by saying that Lakai has pretty much changed my entire idea of what a 'grippy' sole should feel like.

Here's a pic I took of mine from the first day I skated them. This was about a month (or so) ago. The sole looks like it's been skated for weeks, but it's what I was talking about being designed that way.

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 06:35:00 AM »
Jim - One other thing to tell you about the Brighton is that (IMO) they ruined a perfectly good shoe with that odd sole pattern. They basically 'smashed' the waffle in the forefoot area and it's an inexplicable design flaw. One that was made just for something to do. It could be mental on my part, but it feels a little slippery to me in the forefoot area and a vulc should never feel even remotely slippy...that's sort of the number 1 feature of a vulc sole. But otherwise it's a perfect shoe. Thin/slim design, great toe shape, excellent heel lock, very snug and close to the foot design.

I will qualify that entire thought by saying that Lakai has pretty much changed my entire idea of what a 'grippy' sole should feel like.

Here's a pic I took of mine from the first day I skated them. This was about a month (or so) ago. The sole looks like it's been skated for weeks, but it's what I was talking about being designed that way.

I think that idea was to make sole more durable. That area of the sole gets the most wear so New Balance tried to make it more durable by putting more material there. Some kind of durability/grip trade off.

ALABAMAMAN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think that idea was to make sole more durable. That area of the sole gets the most wear so New Balance tried to make it more durable by putting more material there. Some kind of durability/grip trade off.

got the all black ones and have the same problem. feel like the sole has oil on it. love the toe stitching design though.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 07:44:50 AM »
supra skytop looks pretty thin...

foureyedjim

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 01:07:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
got the all black ones and have the same problem. feel like the sole has oil on it. love the toe stitching design though.

yeah...tread looks worn out already haha.
Does it get worse as you skate it more?

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 05:45:42 PM »

Emerica High Laced - very thin high cut shoe.

This. It's suede with absolutely no padding. I like it.

ALABAMAMAN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 08:24:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

yeah...tread looks worn out already haha.
Does it get worse as you skate it more?
my homie is the NB# rep and he said its a trademark for new balance. It's for looks, has no purpose he told me. I like how it curves around your big toe

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »
my homie is the NB# rep and he said its a trademark for new balance. It's for looks, has no purpose he told me. I like how it curves around your big toe
http://i61.tinypic.com/ibhqqd.jpg

Yeah, the stitching/styling is really nice. I dig everything about the shoe except for the sole. I wonder what the Stratford sole would be like on the Brighton. The Stratford sole is a lot tackier.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 11:40:20 PM »
Fallen forte mid, awesome shoe.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.