Author Topic: love the team/hate the company  (Read 3618 times)

Mullet Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
love the team/hate the company
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »
BAKER/DEATHWISH

This one's a given. Sure, there are the obvious shredders on the squad(s), and I will admit that I tried a couple o' Baker boards after Baker 3 came out. But with age comes wisdom and understanding, and it would be wise to understand that Baker and Deathwish are, as far as brands go, borderline regular.

LAKAI

Everyone knows that this team is stacked with otherworldly skate wizard warlords, but truth be told... I hate the shoes. And I gave them a try way-way-WAY too many times. Almost every pair had issues - popped stitches, random glue drips, and just horrible workmanship overall. Worse than like generic swap meet shit. I even wrote them a heated email after getting burned so many times, but, like most of you, they gave not two shats. The team rips though!

THE OLD PLAN B

I don't even know how many times I've seen Virtual Reality since it's release, but I can only guess it's like in the hundreds. The whole squad was ridiculous. We memorized every second of that video. But for as influential as that team was, I can't say I've ever bought a Plan B board. Not a one. Not even back then. For some reason they just sucked.

HABITAT

Who doesn't love Fat Freddy? And we all know Silas is the man. But I just can't get into Habitat's hippy vibe, with their earth tones and ponytail/guitar-friendly line of products.  It just doesn't scream "SKATE!" to me. I did pick up a pair of the shoes, just to try 'em out because they were ridiculously cheap. But to be honest, I haven't even taken them out of the box yet - and I bought them back in June. Not for me.

Whutchu got?

StinkyLarry

• Rep: -42
Re: love the team/hate the company
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 08:41:58 PM »
This thread sucks

cheese

• Rep: -68
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 08:44:06 PM »
ipath. raybourn, freddy,nilton,  matty, field all so sick. company direction blows. why the fuck would you kick off adelmo

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:46:24 PM »
Almost - little kid company but they have some rad skaters on the team.
Element - I said this in the other thread, but they've had some guys who deserve that Element money on the team for a while now.
Zoo York (sans Chaz Ortiz) - Obvious reasons.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

ngoin2434h

• Rep: -13
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:20:28 PM »
eS footwear
Great shoes but the guys running it are complete assholes.
Kicking Creager because he refused to skate more rails.
Never give pro status to ams running years for them (Weiger, Kilchenman, Felipe Gustavo, Kelly Hart)
Being one of their greatest riders, Cale Nuske now is on the "regional team", i fail to understand why, TX's still being on the main team...
Not letting Koston own a share of the company, even after being on it for more than 10 years, and being their most influential rider ever.
Then stealing Danny Garcia from Lakai as a payback to Koston.
Keeping Alex Mizurov out of the eS game 2007, fearing a unknown European kid would win their contest again.

Seriously the guys running eS should retire right away and let somebody else do it. They once had one of the greatest teams ever .

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:24:17 PM »
I did pick up a pair of the shoes, just to try 'em out because they were ridiculously cheap. But to be honest, I haven't even taken them out of the box yet - and I bought them back in June. Not for me.
you bought shoes that you dont even take out of the box for months. wish i had that kind of disposable income.

and i like mystery's team but i dont like their dipped boards.

thugnificent

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 09:34:37 PM »
Being one of their greatest riders, Cale Nuske now is on the "regional team", i fail to understand why, TX's still being on the main team...

tx is 1000 times better than nuske, in every way

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:43:15 PM »
Expand Quote
I did pick up a pair of the shoes, just to try 'em out because they were ridiculously cheap. But to be honest, I haven't even taken them out of the box yet - and I bought them back in June. Not for me.
[close]
you bought shoes that you dont even take out of the box for months. wish i had that kind of disposable income.

I'm afraid so.

One of the advantages of being an older skater is having a good job so you can buy mad product and go on trips (vacation time = paid to skate!) And they were 30 bucks, so it's not like they're gonna break my bank.  I got to choose any of them, and I went with the boat shoe. They look cool, but whatever. I've been skating in non-skate Adidas shell toes and Pumas all summer, attempting to bring back my early 90's steez, but I'll probably run the boat shoes before summer is over.

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 09:55:50 PM »
this last post got me lulz'in
:) I must have been tripping last night

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 10:00:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm afraid so.

One of the advantages of being an older skater is having a good job so you can buy mad product and go on trips (vacation time = paid to skate!) And they were 30 bucks, so it's not like they're gonna break my bank.  I got to choose any of them, and I went with the boat shoe. They look cool, but whatever. I've been skating in non-skate Adidas shell toes and Pumas all summer, attempting to bring back my early 90's steez, but I'll probably run the boat shoes before summer is over.
yeah dude i dont blame you for splurging if you can. especially on shoes.

ngoin2434h

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 10:07:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What's this regional crap thing anyway? TX is awesome but, being from Brazil, should be on the regional team too.
If the best skaters deserve to be on the main team, how come Manderson is there but not Cale? Check out his part in Bon Appetit.

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 10:35:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What's this regional crap thing anyway? TX is awesome but, being from Brazil, should be on the regional team too.
If the best skaters deserve to be on the main team, how come Manderson is there but not Cale? Check out his part in Bon Appetit.

because bon appetit was about 5 years ago and the flip video was last year.. and rodrigo tx is better in every way.

and danny garcia left lakai because he didn't want the pressure of filming 2 parts (lakai/habitat).

tatertots

• Rep: -6
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 11:04:01 PM »
honestly, world industries. andrew cannon, anthony shetler and jani are all really sick

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 11:07:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cuz he's the fuckin Man.

ngoin2434h

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

because bon appetit was about 5 years ago and the flip video was last year.. and rodrigo tx is better in every way.

and danny garcia left lakai because he didn't want the pressure of filming 2 parts (lakai/habitat).

Cale also had a great part last year on the latest Cliche video "cle". His part on eSpecial was good too.

Danny didn't want pressure filming for 2 parts? He still filmed for eSpecial after moving.
And also he said on an interview that he got a call from eS asking him if he wanted to ride for them and he replied "YeS".

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 12:23:31 AM »
basically everything about the element europe team is sick. except that they are a part of element. leave that company, call yourself europment, and i will be buying your stuff. until then, not so much.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 01:06:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Cale also had a great part last year on the latest Cliche video "cle". His part on eSpecial was good too.

Danny didn't want pressure filming for 2 parts? He still filmed for eSpecial after moving.
And also he said on an interview that he got a call from eS asking him if he wanted to ride for them and he replied "YeS".

danny has been wearing habitat shoes everytime i see him at the local park. shame because i loved his es models.

manu

• Rep: -100
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 03:28:30 AM »
Cliche since they switched their wood to dwindle and are going for a more american/berrics feel. Still don't hate them though.

dylan makes me wet

• Rep: -32
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 03:33:00 AM »
Cliche since they switched their wood to dwindle and are going for a more american/berrics feel. Still don't hate them though.
they're probably only doing that because they realise if they are to stay around it's going to be hard doing that just in europe.so i expect they felt they may have had to add espionoa to help boost they're popularityy with the teeanger skaters in america who suck his dick

grimcity

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 05:47:59 AM »
Almost - little kid company but they have some rad skaters on the team.

Stanley Hol

• Rep: -9
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 08:25:19 AM »
The berrics canteen? ccs?
Real Life.

cheese

• Rep: -68
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 08:45:14 AM »
airspeed. they have some good guys, but i dont think i need to say why i dont like them

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 09:20:23 AM »
girl/chocolate - best team in the business, no group of dudes kill it like they kill it.  unfortunately, the have the shittiest products in the world.  they make their boards out of dog shit and somehow kids will still line up to buy it.

flip - another team that kills it but as a grown up, i can't get passed the little kid image, same goes for almost as mentioned earlier.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:38:52 AM by faster! »

Stanley Hol

• Rep: -9
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 09:27:28 AM »
airspeed. they have some good guys, but i dont think i need to say why i dont like them

Who are the good guys?  Nate sherwood?  Sumner?  please...
Real Life.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• Rep: 10000
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 10:20:06 AM »
BAKER/DEATHWISH

This one's a given. Sure, there are the obvious shredders on the squad(s), and I will admit that I tried a couple o' Baker boards after Baker 3 came out. But with age comes wisdom and understanding, and it would be wise to understand that Baker and Deathwish are, as far as brands go, borderline regular.

LAKAI

Everyone knows that this team is stacked with otherworldly skate wizard warlords, but truth be told... I hate the shoes. And I gave them a try way-way-WAY too many times. Almost every pair had issues - popped stitches, random glue drips, and just horrible workmanship overall. Worse than like generic swap meet shit. I even wrote them a heated email after getting burned so many times, but, like most of you, they gave not two shats. The team rips though!

THE OLD PLAN B

I don't even know how many times I've seen Virtual Reality since it's release, but I can only guess it's like in the hundreds. The whole squad was ridiculous. We memorized every second of that video. But for as influential as that team was, I can't say I've ever bought a Plan B board. Not a one. Not even back then. For some reason they just sucked.

HABITAT

Who doesn't love Fat Freddy? And we all know Silas is the man. But I just can't get into Habitat's hippy vibe, with their earth tones and ponytail/guitar-friendly line of products.  It just doesn't scream "SKATE!" to me. I did pick up a pair of the shoes, just to try 'em out because they were ridiculously cheap. But to be honest, I haven't even taken them out of the box yet - and I bought them back in June. Not for me.

Whutchu got?

I agree with Plan B and Lakai.
I'd also say Element, as well, obviously. I almost want to say Almost, but their boards are actually not bad at all. Pretty legit shapes.
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDc5iadh_sE

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 10:39:12 AM »
DC shoes
the team its sick: kalis, dompierre, kremer, pj, miller, marquis, evan, way & mckay, not a big fan of lindsey, but it's ok. Dyrdek still skates?
Anyway their shoes suck so much, I gave them a try a few times, but I just can't skate with that horrendous sole, maybe the materials they use for the rest of the shoe are really good, but the sole, the heart of the shoe, suck so much. Their models aren't the best either, its like they got stuck in the early 00's and just made rip-off of those shoes in all the possible colors. And I don't like their mainstream image, going after every "extreme sport" out there... THEY HAVE A RALLY TEAM! WTF
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:46:52 AM by mooraga »

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• Rep: 10000
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 04:03:18 PM »
girl/chocolate - best team in the business, no group of dudes kill it like they kill it.  unfortunately, the have the shittiest products in the world.  they make their boards out of dog shit and somehow kids will still line up to buy it.
This. All day long. Driftwood plies suck, huh.  ;D
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDc5iadh_sE

Mullet Man

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »
I dunno, dude. I skated lots of Girl boards and I loved them. I don't know if it's mental or what, but riding those flat boards made my ollies so proper and I learned a lot of tricks on those things. That's just about all you can ask for. I rode super concave-y Deluxe boards for a long time, and the switch to a flatter board made a change in my skating for the better. They do have a weird cheapness to them, like how the graphics sorta flake off instead of rub off. But I guess all heat transfers are like that, right?

Oh, and someone mentioned CCS? That's another one for sure.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »
Zoo York has a nice team, but seeing their clothes at JCPenney doesn't  amuse me.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:19:18 PM by Cthulhu! »

snickelfritz

• Rep: -3
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 06:23:15 AM »
converse nike and adidas