Author Topic: South America  (Read 5563 times)

Omamori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
South America
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:35:21 PM »
I'm planning a trip to Argentina and Uruguay next year for me and my girlfriend. I had to move to finish college because the town I lived just had a community college. So we have been doing a long distance relationship since the end of May and it's going good. She's moving here (California) in December. I'm going to propose and I decided I wanna take her some where nice and out of the country. So far the trip comes out to about $3,700 for hotels, flights, food, etc. This is the first time I'm traveling with out my parents and I just wanted some tips (where to go, any extra cost, etc).  Thanks for those who help.

smokecrack

Re: South America
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 08:50:08 PM »
sorry that i don't have any real tips or anything, but congrats on your plans, man. i hope all works out with you and your girl. have fun on your trip too!

cheese

• Rep: -68
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 08:52:18 PM »
sorry that i don't have any real tips or anything, but congrats on your plans, man. i hope all works out with you and your girl. have fun on your trip too!

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »
Don't ever come to Chile, worst experiences I've had are from work trips to this hellhole..... I wanna go back home.

aleksander

• Rep: 121
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 09:20:12 PM »
Wowsers getting married, congratulations. I've been in Buenos Aires for the past three years and have made it over to Uruguay a few times but mainly just to avoid visa problems.

If you're coming early next year the weather will be nice and you can go to the beaches in Punta del Este and Colonia in Uruguay. In BA there are a ton of bars and good restaurants in Palermo and you can skate that park Penny skates at Parque Centenario.

http://kr3wdenim.com/2007/05/24/tom-penny-the-penny-update-03/

Everything's pretty damn cheap here if you've got euros or dollars, but you'll get hit with tourist prices at hotels (really no way to avoid it) and restaurants (this you can avoid). Also be aware that prices in Uruguay double during the high season (Jan to Mar). Also this may be in the guidebooks now but they hit US citizens with a 140 dollar fee at the Argentina airport. Have fun man, both countries are the shit.
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

ChileOrDie

• Rep: -9
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:26:10 PM »
Don't ever come to Chile, worst experiences I've had are from work trips to this hellhole..... I wanna go back home.

Yeah im from chile and dont like it either. Half of my country is mugglers.  it sucks. but if you do plan to go there. go to vina del mar beaches are beutiful

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 10:55:27 PM »
Wowsers getting married, congratulations. I've been in Buenos Aires for the past three years and have made it over to Uruguay a few times but mainly just to avoid visa problems.

If you're coming early next year the weather will be nice and you can go to the beaches in Punta del Este and Colonia in Uruguay. In BA there are a ton of bars and good restaurants in Palermo and you can skate that park Penny skates at Parque Centenario.

Everything's pretty damn cheap here if you've got euros or dollars, but you'll get hit with tourist prices at hotels (really no way to avoid it) and restaurants (this you can avoid). Also be aware that prices in Uruguay double during the high season (Jan to Mar). Also this may be in the guidebooks now but they hit US citizens with a 140 dollar fee at the Argentina airport. Have fun man, both countries are the shit.

thanks for the info. We are just gonna visit Buenos Aires and Montevideo. We don't have the money to visit the country side. ? ? since we are both frugal people I searched for some cheap hotels. We are visiting in April because I go to college year round so I only get Christmas and spring break off. So I'm expecting some chilly weather haha

I also was thinking about visiting Chile but since the earthquake hit that will have to wait until another time. I heard the food is good though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:57:23 PM by Crass »

Livin The Psychedelic Lif

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 11:38:25 PM »
My friend's friend went to mexico, and long story short he was mugged and stripped from the local narcs. On top of that they raped his gf while he was buttnaked & watchn. In the end they were about to cap him and his lady until they figured out he came from a reputable/wealthy family from mexico, so they let him be.

So if you are white, american, whatevs, dont act a fool in Mexican territory, and most important in any south american place!!!-----------------------> Never wonder off where into the local where its obvious and dangerous for tourists.

That being said have fun, congratz and enjoy!
 :-* sloppy wet one for your lady on my regards
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:41:25 PM by Livin The Psychedelic Lif »

Schteven

• Rep: -7
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 06:14:02 AM »
You're taking the girlfriend to SOUTH AMERICA? That's asking for trouble.....
don't you know that south america has some of the most sexy, ferocious, hot uuuuhhhhh!!!! impossible-to-take-your-eyes-off women?
Fantesticle!

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 07:23:10 AM »
My friend's friend went to mexico, and long story short he was mugged and stripped from the local narcs. On top of that they raped his gf while he was buttnaked & watchn. In the end they were about to cap him and his lady until they figured out he came from a reputable/wealthy family from mexico, so they let him be.

So if you are white, american, whatevs, dont act a fool in Mexican territory, and most important in any south american place!!!-----------------------> Never wonder off where into the local where its obvious and dangerous for tourists.

Oh yeah, I know to keep a low profile when traveling to different countries. I'm 3/4 Hispanic but look white so it doesn't help. My girlfriend is white with like 1/16 Indian in her. We both can speak and read some Spanish, and she understands most of it so we should be good with the language barrier. But I well definitely stay safe.

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 07:30:32 AM »

Sorry about the double post, I don't know how to quote multiple people. But is that $140 fee for each person?

aleksander

• Rep: 121
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 03:58:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Sorry about the double post, I don't know how to quote multiple people. But is that $140 fee for each person?

Yeah man unfortunately it is. It's a one-time only thing and it's pretty new so I dunno if it's in the guidebooks yet. It was an unpleasant surprise.  Also there's a dude on here called Quilmes Cerveza who's been down here a few times. PM me if you've got any questions, I'd be happy to help.
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 05:07:48 PM »

dont talk about shit that you dont know.

just dont be stupid. try to avoid flashing anything of value around, and if your gonna get wasted cab to and from everywhere at night. stay in populated areas, dont walk down empty streets in the day unless you have to. but totally immerse yourself besides that, go to the day markets and beaches and everything, there is going to be some sketchy shit but i doubt any major city in continental america is safe to walk in all areas of.  only take enough money with you for the day, dont keep your passport on you if you dont absoutely need it, use a photocopied version. have fun!
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Livin The Psychedelic Lif

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 07:04:03 PM »
Ive been to mexico plenty of times buddy

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 10:56:03 PM »
Never be afraid to eat street food.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 01:19:49 AM »
You can check out the Recoleta. They let you drink wine at the park. Used to skate at the Biblioteca Nacional.

If you're in Punta del Este there's Moby Dick's Pub. It's alright.

Have fun. And when you see all the shanty towns and the Villeros just remember that this could very well be the future
for the US. IMF and Menem fucked that country over pretty good. But BA is one of the greatest places in the world IMO.

Side note, Naomi Klein's documentary La Toma is good watching.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 01:54:22 AM »
i grew up in Buenos Aires.  you are going to have a blast.   aleksander and david pretty much summed it up, but i think you will be in for a nice surprise.  dope food, good people and good times.   also it is a pretty safe place...no less safe than any other big city in the world (minus tokyo and seoul).    as far as chile goes it's great if you are in the wilderness...if you are in the city watch out.  i got my bag stolen there in Santiago, major debbie downer.
where is home?

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 09:04:56 AM »
Thanks for the added info. I'm so stoked about leaving the country next year

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 11:36:40 AM »
I hear Buenos Aires is a sophisticated, old world city that is as impressive as any old city in Europe, but that you can get amazing steak dinners there for like $4. I had some friends live for like half a year in a massive apartment that they paid next to nothing for. The stories they told me put it toward the top of my list for places I want to go.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 10:09:16 PM »
Of course, people should know that Argentina is also the birthplace of two very important people...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fausto_Vitello

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_Guevara

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 12:50:45 AM »
I hear Buenos Aires is a sophisticated, old world city that is as impressive as any old city in Europe, but that you can get amazing steak dinners there for like $4. I had some friends live for like half a year in a massive apartment that they paid next to nothing for. The stories they told me put it toward the top of my list for places I want to go.

ive never been but i bet you could say that about a ton of places in central/south america. antigua, guatemala looks and feels exactly like some eastern european city, nothing over a couple stories and cobblestone everything, beautiful parks and ancient buildings. and dirt cheap. also leon/granada nicaragua have it goin on.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 01:58:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ive never been but i bet you could say that about a ton of places in central/south america. antigua, guatemala looks and feels exactly like some eastern european city, nothing over a couple stories and cobblestone everything, beautiful parks and ancient buildings. and dirt cheap. also leon/granada nicaragua have it goin on.

you are both right.  due to the colonization many places have sections that look like European cities because  of all the Baroque architecture, especially in Peru. Gipper is correct in that Argentina is just massive feels like a place that would have sent ships all over the oceans a few hundreds years ago.   i have not been back for a few years so i can neither confirm nor deny the 4 dollar steak dinners though, but i sure hope it is true.
where is home?

Inbred Jed

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 09:38:48 AM »
No trip to Brazil is complete without getting a sex change

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 12:00:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you are both right.  due to the colonization many places have sections that look like European cities because  of all the Baroque architecture, especially in Peru. Gipper is correct in that Argentina is just massive feels like a place that would have sent ships all over the oceans a few hundreds years ago.   i have not been back for a few years so i can neither confirm nor deny the 4 dollar steak dinners though, but i sure hope it is true.
Now I just feel like some exploitative westerner. That's actually some interesting historical background though. Thanks for that.
Does eastern South America feel more like that than the west, with port cities and all to Africa and Europe?
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 12:25:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yeah man unfortunately it is. It's a one-time only thing and it's pretty new so I dunno if it's in the guidebooks yet. It was an unpleasant surprise.?  Also there's a dude on here called Quilmes Cerveza who's been down here a few times. PM me if you've got any questions, I'd be happy to help.
I sent you a PM. I don't know if your received it.