Author Topic: Scandinavia  (Read 85312 times)

frank

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Scandinavia
« on: August 26, 2010, 05:05:02 PM »
Thoughts and opinions of the great countries that make up scandanavia? Sweden rules, norways dorky, denmark rules. any experiences there, skating or otherwise?
whats crappenin

strangefires

Re: Scandinavia
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 05:31:28 PM »
finland is the best but its all cold as fuck

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• Rep: 10000
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 06:24:28 PM »
Grandpa's parents are from Oslo, Norway.
Finland's the shit, because of Bodom.
The character Skwisgaar is from Sweden and Amon Amarth is too. So they're kickass, too.
Annndd not sure about Denmark. They're saunas are pretty intense. They'll run out and jump in snow and shit, bare skin.
So Scandinavia is one of my favorite regions in the world. I'd love to go visit Norway some day. It'd be pretty surreal.
The accents are the most badass, too.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:32:51 PM by Skwisgaar Skwigelf »
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1592
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »
Ikea makes shitty furniture. 
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 11:34:17 PM »
The character Skwisgaar is from Sweden and Amon Amarth is too. So they're kickass, too.
Annndd not sure about Denmark. They're saunas are pretty intense. They'll run out and jump in snow and shit, bare skin.
So Scandinavia is one of my favorite regions in the world. I'd love to go visit Norway some day. It'd be pretty surreal.

^That's Finland. Danish invented Legos. And danishes.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 05:14:21 AM »
Iceland is scandinavian too

Helsinki was nice to skate , lived there for awhile . Pretty good party town too , Finns can drink ,
Copenhagen is a great party town , good skating too , kinda lived there too .
Oslo is the heroin capital in europe or something , havent been there but as most big citys in europe it should be great
Sweden is great , good spots , nice party and the best girls

Just stick to the big citys and you will find nice party , girls and spots

and the nature in scandinavia is great , clean as clean can get

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 08:03:39 AM »
I had the option to take scandinavian cinema.....I didn't.

frank

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 08:44:39 AM »
yep, they know how to party! going out to the bars and shows there is really sick. The finnish winters are really harsh though, but the winter sucks really badly in norway and sweden too. It sucks how it gets dark out so early. but the summers are amazing. i dont know if theres any thing better than sweden in july. and norway would be cool but its really expensive
whats crappenin

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 09:10:14 AM »
Good lookin women, nature is beautiful...I don't see who wouldn't want to visit. From what I know it's pricey though, but worth it.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 09:13:15 AM »
yep, they know how to party! going out to the bars and shows there is really sick. The finnish winters are really harsh though, but the winter sucks really badly in norway and sweden too. It sucks how it gets dark out so early. but the summers are amazing. i dont know if theres any thing better than sweden in july. and norway would be cool but its really expensive

I kinda like it , you feel the seasons , cold and snow in winter , rain in autumn ,  slowly getting warmer in spring and warm in summer .
unless you get rain and wind all year long , that happens too .

the light thing is good in summer and bad in winter , summer time the sun shines almost all the time , but winter , u only have sun for afew hours .

Sucks when you work long hours and you wake up in early morning to go to work and its dark , and when you quit its dark again and you havent seen the sun for a week ...

Plug_One

• Rep: 9
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 09:18:53 AM »
I'm from norway so i thought i could give you some info.
Norway is pretty cool actually, aside from it pretty expencive here. Oslo is great, especially in the summer, beautiful women, great weather, lots of good spots, good bars/partys, skatecrews are cool etc. Lots of junkies and bums though, but they'r not trying to rob you or anything. And the DIY bowl called Gamlebyen Skatepark (GSF) is pretty fucking sick. Hard to skate, but lots of fun!

This is pretty much only Oslo spots, except that nollie heel and switch back heel in barca.
The spot he skates @1:00 is perfect, ledges everywhere and a few stairs, his last trick which is at the same spot is pretty insane!

Anyway, its worth a visit!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:22:21 AM by Plug_One »

Inbred Jed

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 09:21:16 AM »
I have seen substantial evidence that Finland is one of the greatest places ever. Today is most likely a major alcohol related holiday.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 09:19:14 PM »
I want to go to Scandinavia so badly. I took Norwegian my first year in college and loved it. I wish i could have stayed with it and learned it better, but my schedule wouldn't allow it. I really want to visit Norway, Finland, and Iceland. I never really cared about Sweden and Denmark for some reason, but now that you guys talk those places up, I'll have to go there too. I've been thinking about trying to learn Finnish and Icelandic, but they are supposed to be absurdly difficult. I know Icelandic is one of the hardest languages in the world to learn.

frank

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 09:27:16 PM »
yeah, another amazing thing about sweden, norway, denmark and the others is that pretty much everyone under the age of say, 50, is fluent in english. the young people love to speak english so being an american going there it isnt too bad because you can communicate with everyone you come across.

the only downside to that is that you dont know what theyre saying when theyre all speaking swedish. But I couldnt belive how every single cool person i met was able to speak english so well. its actually required in their schoolings to take a certain number of years of english. also 7/10 swedish channels are in english too for some wierd reason. thats like tv being in french in the us. pretty interesting and really speaks on the intellegence of the swedish people :)
whats crappenin

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 10:16:52 PM »
Yeah dude. The Netherlands is like that. I hung out with Derk the Jerk and his buddies a lot out there was blown away at how well the spoke English and how great their vocabularies are. And surprisingly, they didn't have anywhere near as much of an accent in English as you would think. But still, I like to know some of the language. That way I can at least read signs or menus, or buy shit at the super market, or at least ask "Can you speak English?" in their native language.

clamy

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 02:34:06 AM »
Finland is the shit. My mom's from there and I've been there once. So fun, skating with people I couldn't even understand, getting drunk in a forest on their national holiday. I went in spring and there was still snow everywhere, and freezing. Couldn't imagine what winter would be like. I really want to go back there now.

MrDreamPop

• Rep: -86
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 03:35:09 AM »
my itunes is playing the sugarcubes.
life poser

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 04:05:31 AM »
I'm currently staying in copenhagen and all I have to say it's a dope city ... especially if you skate, are heterosexual, into hipster clothes, weed, riding bikes and going to the beach. just don't come here in the wintertime, because it's way too cold and way too dark. I can see why people get depressed in that area.
I guess I go to the beach today and shot some photos, because there is nothing else to do for me today. coming from the middle of europe where no lakes are around, it's just heaven.

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 04:56:36 AM »
been to Stockholm... amazing, however kinda expensive but definetly worth it
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 08:30:38 AM »
I've wanted to go to Scandinavia for a while now. How's the weed there? I heard they're not to bud friendly.

spool of cord

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • Welcome to another chapter of audio sodemy
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 08:33:10 AM »
can someone break down the cost of living expenses here in comparison to western europe?
sanch dont be mad because your wife used to clean my mansion

and................... your still a mark!!!!!

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 12:29:36 PM »
I want to go to Scandinavia so badly. I took Norwegian my first year in college and loved it. I wish i could have stayed with it and learned it better, but my schedule wouldn't allow it. I really want to visit Norway, Finland, and Iceland. I never really cared about Sweden and Denmark for some reason, but now that you guys talk those places up, I'll have to go there too. I've been thinking about trying to learn Finnish and Icelandic, but they are supposed to be absurdly difficult. I know Icelandic is one of the hardest languages in the world to learn.
I dunno about Icelandic, but I do know that Finnish is a Russian-related language, rather than Germanic. So that's probably why. Russian is retardedly difficult to learn.
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 03:46:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I dunno about Icelandic, but I do know that Finnish is a Russian-related language, rather than Germanic. So that's probably why. Russian is retardedly difficult to learn.

No it's not. Finnish is Uralic/Finno-Ugric. Russian is Slavic. They are nowhere near related, except for small overlaps in the Baltics. Finnish is related to Hungarian and Estonian, while Russian is related to Czech, Polish, Lithuanian, etc. And Icelandic is Germanic, but much closer to Old Norse than most other Germanic languages. Including the other Scandinavian languages, which are closer to Old English. From the several people I know who have studied Russian, they've said it's not that hard to learn, but that can easily vary from person to person.

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 04:01:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

No it's not. Finnish is Uralic/Finno-Ugric. Russian is Slavic. They are nowhere near related, except for small overlaps in the Baltics. Finnish is related to Hungarian and Estonian, while Russian is related to Czech, Polish, Lithuanian, etc. And Icelandic is Germanic, but much closer to Old Norse than most other Germanic languages. Including the other Scandinavian languages, which are closer to Old English. From the several people I know who have studied Russian, they've said it's not that hard to learn, but that can easily vary from person to person.
I think I see what I confused here. Finnish sounds more Russian than Norwegian and Swedish, and it is closer to Russia, so common sense told me that it's probably geographically and demographically more related to Russian than Old Norse or Germanic.
Either way, Finnish isn't Germanic so, at least to me, it seems that it would be harder to learn, since Germanic is more similar to English/Latin than Slavic or Finno-Ugric.

Scallywag crew!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 04:34:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I think I see what I confused here. Finnish sounds more Russian than Norwegian and Swedish, and it is closer to Russia, so common sense told me that it's probably geographically and demographically more related to Russian than Old Norse or Germanic.
Either way, Finnish isn't Germanic so, at least to me, it seems that it would be harder to learn, since Germanic is more similar to English/Latin than Slavic or Finno-Ugric.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a common mistake a lot of people make. But languages don't evolve based solely on proximity. Like Estonia and Finland are no where near Hungary, but they are all related. Which makes fuck all sense. Personally, Finnish sounds more liek Norwegian or Swedish to me, but that's a personal opinion. (And Germanic isn't close to Latin, just so you know)

frank

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 06:10:24 PM »
yea, i think finnish sounds pretty crazy, its way different than Swedish or Norwegian. and no, weed is not popular in sweden, its actually rather looked down upon. i still managed to smoke a few times there though :) but overall sweden in the summer is so great and awesome
whats crappenin

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 07:14:02 PM »
The girls are the most beautiful in the world, as far as I'm concerned.

These are Norwegian girls in particular  :-*  :o
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:16:49 PM by Skwisgaar Skwigelf »

Scallywag crew!

Kirtap

• Rep: 15
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 10:58:30 PM »
This is a great site if you're interested in Sweden and swedish people. Enjoy!

http://sweden.of-cour.se/

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 04:01:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

You got confused because you are a fucking idiot.

dolphinstyle.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 04:27:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

You got confused because you are a fucking idiot.
this.
oyolar, are you into linguistics?
Look, I'm an individual within us, partaking in this business