Author Topic: Gravis  (Read 14503 times)

Omamori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
Gravis
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:20:10 PM »
I've been feeling Gravis's shoes lately. How do the Arto LX, Filter, or Dylan slip on's skate?  I'm leaning more towards the Arto's.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
Re: Gravis
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:08:18 AM »
i dont have any of those, however i do have the dylan mid which is stupidly similar to the artos (but a mid rather than a low)
and in terms of build quality and skatability i love em, would deffinatley reccomend them

my friend bought the reider slip ons as a chill shoe/work shoe and skated in them once after work (for like 5 minutes) and it fucked them up hard!!! deffinatley not designes for skating on a comercial level

spare change

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 07:19:25 AM »
IMO Gravis is taking the time to make quality skate shoes with good fits and materials in classic styling that isn't driven by logos.
On my 5th pair of arto's right now,with the poron in the shoe my body doesn't hurt as much and that keeps me skating longer.The soles are grippy as any other company if not more so.Materials vary on durability.If you can find a tech tuff shoe like the filter lx or dylan i highly advise grabbing them.Most durable shoe ever possibly. I know the burton backing scares most off but it's a small program catering only to small shops(like nike sb) they do have a lifestyle collection available to big shops but keep the IV skate stuff low key.
Theyre doing it right, and if you like skating those silhouettes (era/slip on) I have no doubts you'll be into the shoes.
And the team is pretty damn amazing.Arto,dylan,jake johnson,javier mendezibal, steve forstner.

hekkahyphy

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:47:53 AM »
I had the dylan mid and they did not last me more than two weeks before having hekka holes everywhere. It could be because of the wierd pleather ish material. They skated good tho I loved them honestly but did not like all the socks I went thru from them

spare change

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:50:46 AM »
The waxed canvas has been proven to not be so durable,which is what you had.
The suede or tech tuff is the material to look for if you want a shoe that lasts longer.

hekkahyphy

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:06:21 AM »
That's what it was, they skated good for sure. I'd definitely give those new Artosa try. I feel like gravis is doin stuff proper. The shoes have a good 'look down factor' and feel really good while skating extremely well

ccc333

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
  • ohyeah
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 08:08:46 AM »
I hope they start using the Poron stuff in more of their shoes.

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 09:31:26 AM »

dylans look weird skated...

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 01:08:06 PM »
^^^
They look durable.

Thanks for the replys. I'll most likly get the Arto LX.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 02:31:52 PM »
i really like my arto LXs
been skating some TechTuff Filters currently. they stretch out more then i would have imagined. so, i might stop skating them just cause my foot is slipping around more then i want. they are tuff and super grippy and flicky.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 03:33:33 PM »

Damn it. Does anyone have a scan I can zoom in on for that page? I'm interested in reading what they say about the Dylans, but have no desire to have the entire book.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »
I just started wearing my black waxed canvas Dylan Mids.  Nice shoe.  Not gonna skate them though.  They run about a half size big.  The skatewarehouse sizing thing is decent for sizing purposes if you can't try them on in person.

Boomhauer

• Rep: 43
  • Yep
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »

Looks like shoe vitiligo.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »
I just started wearing my black waxed canvas Dylan Mids.  Nice shoe.  Not gonna skate them though.  They run about a half size big.  The skatewarehouse sizing thing is decent for sizing purposes if you can't try them on in person.

Definitely. My heel slips out a tad bit when i push hard. But thicker/sturdier/grippy socks usually solve the problem.

criag

• Rep: 1
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 10:46:18 PM »
 good shoes good quality and great team, only going to get better

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 05:37:43 AM »
anyone tried to dye the bluebird Arto's?

Seen some for cheap which I'm considering getting and then trying to dye the suede.  I know it'll come through in all the usual places once they've been skated in a bit, but if it looks hella strange I can also re-dye every now and then

Carter

• Rep: -1
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 06:38:27 AM »
anyone tried to dye the bluebird Arto's?

Seen some for cheap which I'm considering getting and then trying to dye the suede.  I know it'll come through in all the usual places once they've been skated in a bit, but if it looks hella strange I can also re-dye every now and then

spray paint. simple solution.  dont waste your time with dye.

spare change

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 07:50:33 AM »
I taped the sole and spray painted mine.They look pretty cool skated.

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 09:01:36 AM »
I taped the sole and spray painted mine.They look pretty cool skated.

pics??

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 11:12:57 AM »
How do the Arto's fit true to size? I wear a 12.

fowlerclone

• Rep: -15
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 01:55:15 PM »
i tried a pair of arto's in my normal size (11) and they felt a bit big. i'd say go a half size down

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 02:14:24 PM »
all the gravis i have worn (arto's and filters) all had to get half a size down.
10 -> 9.5 for me.

Twig88

• Rep: 10
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 02:58:16 PM »
I tried on a bunch of gravis shoes today and they all feel long but quite narrow so it will depend on your foot. I went a whole size down on my Busenitz size because i like my shoes to fit really tight, but on average i'd say go half a size down.
The whole line looks really good and feels well made though. I got me some Arto LXs and they feel amazing.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »
all the gravis i have worn (arto's and filters) all had to get half a size down.
10 -> 9.5 for me.

I usually get them in my same size because they come to such a point and I like a little space in the toes so I don't jam my toes if I kick something or fuck up skating. But since everyone seems to say half a size down, I'll have to try that next time.

spare change

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 09:44:08 PM »
I am a true 12 and got 12's in artos.Filters are narrower so i would size 1/2 up if you can.

Moist

• SLAP Pal
  • Deaf and Dumb
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 04:42:53 AM »
So just confirming, half a size down with the filters? I'm usually a 10 and I have a pretty narrow foot.

Twig88

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 05:39:59 AM »
So just confirming, half a size down with the filters? I'm usually a 10 and I have a pretty narrow foot.

I would go a half size, but it depends on how tight you like your shoes and if your getting them to skate or chill.
I went a whole size down because vulc shoes usually stretch quite a lot and so to skate in i usually go on the small side. I went with my normal size in Janoskis but now they are too loose for me to skate in.
I got Artos in an 8.5 and I usually ride a 9 to skate in (Busenitz, Janoski (got too big) or a 9.5 for chillers.

spare change

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 07:03:55 AM »
If they made it I would get a 12.5 for a filter because I have wide feet.IMO Gravis fit true to size except the filter.Suprised to hear people sizing down instead of up.

fowlerclone

• Rep: -15
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 07:25:18 AM »
I'm thinking of trying the arto lx now but something about skating in leather shoes turns me off of them. I've skated suede only for the past 5(?) years.

Twig88

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 07:40:41 AM »
I'm thinking of trying the arto lx now but something about skating in leather shoes turns me off of them. I've skated suede only for the past 5(?) years.

I'm in exactly the same position. I haven't skated a leather shoe since a pair of ES Kostons (the original) but I decided to give them a go. The toe cap is Techtuff on the black ones (not really sure what that is? treated leather?) and the beige/sand/browny ones are all waxed suede The regular Arto's are suede toe cap too, so you dont have to get the leather ones..