Author Topic: Going to South America (tips/advice/skateparks and spots/cool ideas)  (Read 9760 times)

jeremyrandall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
So...I'm 95% sure I'm going to South America in January.  My roommate and I found return flights for $750 today to Lima, Peru and I think we're just gonna bite the bullet and buy them next paycheck.  We're planning to go for around 4 months and skip the shitty Canadian winter.

Anyone been there (or from there) and have any tips/advice/skate parks/skate spots/cool ideas/things to watch out for???  We're flying into Lima but would definitely like to travel around the continent as much as we can afford, so any info on anywhere in South America would be awesome.

Only shitty thing about this is gonna be breaking it to my girlfriend.  She's gonna be buuuuummed.

mandibleclaw

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 560
  • "RIP to myself one day." -jereme rogers
    • mandible claw avatar image
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Going to South America (tips/advice/skateparks and spots/cool ideas)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 01:08:53 AM »
i've been to bolivia and ecuador.  both amazing.  however, i stayed in major cities in all three, so not much crazy adventures.

bolivia had the best meat i've ever eaten in my life.  for specifics, in bogota, there's a restaurant called el arrillero.  it has the best hamburger in the world.  i am not exaggerating.  it was just a hamburger, but it was so perfect that my it was the single best meal of my life.

also, in bogota, there's a cement halfpipe in the middle of a random pasture.  keep on the lookout.

outside of quito, there's the cotopaxi mountain.  it's a volcano, and you can climb or hike up it.

anyway: DO IT!  let me live vicariously through you!
We are a noble sport more noble than any other

Giovanni Falcone

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:31:58 AM »
There is not much skating in Peru, but Peru is awesome! Try to eat good food down there, and there are some really ancient sites especially in Peru, you may be able to skate or not, the ground may be cobble stone or dirt depending on what city you are in. Depending on how you plan to go from country to country, train, bus, taxi, plane, with that alone it kinda varies on how much you have for budget/travel expenses. Peru's currency the Sol is 3 Sol to 1 USD. Catching a cab around a city with in a fairly short radius is a flat 3-4 Sol, so figure a cab in a city is 1 USD, Lima for example. But Lima, for nightlife is only on the weekends, there are some skate parks, most parts of Peru and that region of South America are very high in elevation, you should check it out. There is some good skating in South America but I wouldn't consider it some skate destination like Barcelona or something. That Kenny Anderson video recently posted in the photos/video section has him in Brazil skating and going up the Amazon River. But you must be interested in South America for a reason? Whats down there that you want to see?

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:51:40 AM »
I've already been to Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia.  South America is the only continent I have left to go to.  My roommate already wanted to go and Lima is the cheapest place we've found to fly into.  We both skate tons (he's a million times better than me, and I like to think I'm not too bad) so skating is a big part of the trip, but not necessarily the focus.  We're also both are super into hiking and swimming and general awesome shit.  I know Peru has some of the raddest ruins and the Andes in general are gnarly mountains so I know there's gonna be good shit to hike.

Our main idea is to try to find somewhere that we like and rent a place, then do trips out from there.  Preferably either in a city or on the coast.  Lima seems to be both.  There's probably gonna be 4 or 5 of us, but likely just me and my roommate will be skating, so it needs to be somewhere the other three people won't mind chilling most of the time either.  The two of us can go off on little skate missions on our own.

So basically I'm not going for anything specific other than to have a good time and say I've been to all the continents before I turn 25.

Where all did you go in Peru?  How much did food and living cost??
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:53:42 AM by jeremyrandall »

Giovanni Falcone

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 06:56:55 PM »
I spent 3 weeks there a few months ago, fyi the gnarly looking transition parks you see can be found in Peru. There is a gnarled park in Lima, I can post some more stuff later. At a bar waiting for friends. But I hit up Lima, paracas, nasca,  machu picchu, Arequipa, cusco, puno, ollyataytambo, I hiked the lares trek, did a shit load. I went with a tour group, had to get away for a while. Traveling by yourself is definitely cheaper and you're well traveled so that's cool.

I'll try and copy and paste some stuff later. Big thing with food is make sure you're eating somewhere they can wash their hands and dishes properly. In a restaurant meals can range 20-50 sol including drink ans dessert. You might find cheap sandwhich places in the day or buy at a super market. Lima is a coastal town so great seafood, look up ceviche, raw white meat fish cooked by lime juice.

There are also pisco sours. If you're looking for coke and weed I can give you some advice. Can you speak Spanish? As for hiking you can rent a lot of shit. Pick pockets not really an issue. Inland is more meat foods. Every dish includes rice, potato, and French fries. Man you are getting me hyped!

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 07:18:58 PM »
MAN...YOU ARE GETTING ME HYPED!!! 

My email is [email protected].  Definitely hit me up with more details whenever you have a chance.  It will be greatly greatly appreciated.  Also...any idea how you spent on the whole trip.  I kinda want a general idea of how much it's gonna cost me before I book my flight.  I think I'll have enough but I wanna make sure.

Giovanni Falcone

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:01:29 AM »
So this is Miraflores skate park in Lima

I've heard there are some spots in Lima, probably like one thing to hit kind of thing, but I'm guessing if you're creative you could come up with some shit. I was only in Lima for 2 days before I started heading down the country. Each main city in Peru is a ten hour bus ride apart. You can hang out in Lima all you want, but if you really want to see the country you get out of Lima basically. Once you start heading out of Lima, you start going way above sea level, most of the country would be hard to breath for most visitors, and to help with elevation it is a long time tradition to eat coca leaves. You take some dried up leaves, maybe roll it up to the size of a cigarette and then fold it in 1/2 and put in your mouth so you absorb all the 14 alkaloids. Coca leaves are really important to South American culture too, they ranged from an offering to an ancient "business card".

The way cocaine came about, a German chemist took coca leaves and did a test to isolate one of the 14 alkaloids. Coca leaves is made up of 14 alkaloids, basically 14 really healthy shit for you. One of the alkaloids obviously has the effects of "cocaine", so he used gasoline, citric acid, and about 7 other different chemicals to extract the cocaine out of the coca leaves, in a process called purification. A man sized garbage bag of coca leaves will give you 1 gram of cocaine after you do the process.

So that should give you an idea of how big the narcotic bases are in the jungles of Peru, Columbia, and Bolivia.

The first time I got to film some skating because I didn't roll with a camera by myself in Lima to the Miraflores park, because the last time I heard about skaters going to Peru was the Es team and they got shot at, it wasn't that long ago. Anyways it was cool but heading south down the country heading to Nasca, to see the Nasca Lines, we stopped in this city called Paracas, damaged by a very large Earthquake in 2007, did a little sesh:

Seriously the only real skating if that is your goal is to search around Lima, I don't think there are any legit shops anymore. It's pretty difficult for anyone to start skating because of the minimum wage is so low, no one is able to pick up a hobby, such as skateboarding. So in places like that who knows how people will react with skaters scuffing up spots, when the wouldn't be able to afford to paint it or some shit like that.

So if you're gonna go to Lima with friends who don't skate, odds are you guys are gonna plan ways to go get to the other parts of the country which will be an adventure, stay in hostels or whatever and go to the ancient sites. You can already tell by youtubing skating in Peru there is basically nothing.

I don't know how long of a trip it is from Lima to Machu Picchu, but it is definitely worth it to see Machu Picchu. I bet if I had more time in Lima with a friend that skates traveling with me we'd find some shit, but it would be pretty hard. If you come up on some ill shit I would definitely say try and film it.

With 4 months I would consider checking out some other countries for sure, you could get pretty close to doing all of South America in 4 months, or most of it. 4 months is a long time, I'd budget on the high end if you get sick, I'm guessing $5000-$10,000 bucks. Do a city tour can be 20 sol maybe, and doing something really gnarly can be 300 sol, I'm pretty sure tickets to Machu Picchu are priced around there. Bus transportation can range from 10-20 sol I think. It could be more, but there are online forums such as ours is skateboarding there are some strictly traveling in Peru and shit like that, i checked out some before I went. Sometimes you can find threads that are specifically your exact question.

But I would seriously start to come up with places you want to go and seeing how much that would cost. But you're not going til January, are you trying to buy your ticket soon?

Inbred Jed

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 08:39:23 AM »
Search for El Dorado, the Lost City of Gold

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 08:52:15 AM »
try to smuggle back drugs.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 09:22:51 AM »
Milady went to Peru for 3 weeks last year. She did Lima, Cusco, Macchu Picchu, Ollayantaytambo, Arequipa, etc.

She says drink Pisco Sours and don't eat the guinea pigs.

She didn't note any skate spots.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

tiger woods

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 09:56:43 AM »
ayahuasca

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »
lima is a great city.  try to stay in the Miraflores area.  great spots and the locals are super nice.   Lima is actually a really nice city, don't let people or travel books tell you otherwise.  it's just like any american city....some great areas but also some some super shitty ghetto areas you shouldn't go to, like in chicago, DC or baltimore.

oh damn i hit reply before that i realized mr. falcone did a huge response on Lima skateboarding.   i sort of disagree...i thought there were really fun spots.  either way definitely go to peru it is a great place.

also if you go to lima, in Miraflores there is a restaurant called El Rosa Nautica.   eat there for sure, its built on pier off the cliffs and it's not even that expensive and it's off the chain.

i know that Peru is supposedly a third world country but i always thought that shitty parts there were just as shitty as the ghettos in the US, but the really nice parts were alot nicer than many places in the US.

this is an shopping center built into the cliffs in miraflores and i know for a fact that there is a shop that sells skate stuff in there.   there are a ton a ledges to skate around that area.

if you have the time you should DEFINITELY try and get to a city on the amazon river (by plane probably 100 -150 round trip) called Iquitos and stay with this company Explorama.     basically this white dude moved there 30 years and started giving english guides of the amazon river.....and now he owns fleets of boats, the world's longest rainforest canopy walk, and 3 permanent camps (3 levels...from plush beds and AC to sleeping in a hammock).  he also turned that town's economy around because he employs a couple hundred men from the little town.  super nice guy with some pretty nutty spanish speaking abilities.   they cook amazing food too.  very affordable

haha old school picture

check this link
http://www.explorama.com/

i grew up in Argentina so if anywhere there is on radar feel free to send me any questions
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:03:28 PM by Tyroneshoelaces »
where is home?

Giovanni Falcone

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »
Dude where are some of the spots? Lol you mention it? I really had 1 full day in Lima. I arrived late at night, then the next day was my full day, and I was out the following morning. So I just hit up Miraflores park for a couple hours, and then I figured I should take a tour of the city because I'll probably never be there again. If I had more time I would have definitely ventured around more. And I'd be hyped on seeing some pics or google map links to some spots in Lima, that you can skate, and the skate shop. And how far of a taxi it is from Miraflores. Because people have a set income in most of Peru, that doesn't include to buy skateboard equipment. So that means not much of a skate scene, outdated equipment, and I had talked to kids at Miraflores and they didn't know about any magazines, videos, nothing, and some of them fucking ripped. If you got some sick ass spots then I'd be hyped too because I'm guessing it's random stair sets, maybe a rail or 1 hubba if that, and some painted ledges or some shit like that. The economy is super different there. And yes I agree with you that it feels like an American City, definitely as soon as we left Lima, I started to feel like I was in another part of the World, that was way better. And ironically Rob G was up here just a few days before I was going to leave and I got to talk to him, he's fucking hella cool and nice, and he was just like go check out the country, and don't trip too hard on the skating, just check shit out. There is some old shit in Peru. So I wanna hear about these "spots", because I definitely tried to research it and if Jeremy and his friend have sharp Spanish and can remember street names quickly, then they could probably jump around to spots.

The traffic is almost all taxi cabs and it's almost complete anarchy, as far as obeying the rules of the road, so you basically get in the taxi quick and you gotta know where you are going and how to get back in Spanish, or some broken Spanish if you are lucky. If you're like hold on let me look at my map and do you speak english, you're gonna have a pretty hard time getting around. But people in Peru are very friendly so you don't have to worry too much, maybe just be careful with your possessions.

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »
HAHAHA...I better start learning Spanish then.  HOLY SHIT you guys are getting me fucking STOOOOKED beyond belief!!!

I just got a raise at work, and they backpaid from April till now.  So I have even more cash then I was expecting.  Also found out I have over $1500 in vacation pay I haven't used yet either.  So I'd say this is definitely going down.

BFKskateboards

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »
my friend goes to brazil every summer and from what i've heard there's some really fucking sick spots. all near a city called belo horizonte or somethin like that. if you had the choice you should definitely hit up brazil but its ghetto as fuck like 3rd world shit in some places.

Giovanni Falcone

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 12:10:28 AM »
Wow! Bela horizon I dated a girl from there in Hawaii about 6 years ago. Didn't know there was skating.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 10:36:53 AM »
i hear the prostitution scene in Brazil is exquisite

HBeezy561

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -33
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 04:59:55 AM »
id like to hear a lil more about argentina???

BFKskateboards

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 07:31:09 PM »
Wow! Bela horizon I dated a girl from there in Hawaii about 6 years ago. Didn't know there was skating.
from what i've heard its some good shit

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 06:30:15 PM »
Well guys...I bought my flight today.  My roommate and I are leaving January 17th and staying till April 28th.  HOLY FUCK AM I STOKED!!!!

barkeep11

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -135
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 08:59:18 AM »
I went to Peru in 2008.  The spots are kinda scarce but still fun.  The side walks in Miraflores are jokes, glass smooth with 1" wide gaps!  I noticed a lot of the town squares are skateable with super smooth crete and rails everywhere... Trujillo comes to mind, Pisco and Cusco also.  Pisco's kinda dodgy though,  when we went they just had a massive earthquake and most of the city was in tents.  The only skaters that I saw on the whole trip were in Cusco (1) and Miraflores (little skate-rats were everywhere!).

Have fun.

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 10:51:42 AM »
Two weeks from today I'll be waking up in Lima, Peru.  So if anyone has anymore ideas for that would be rad.  I'm getting PUUUUUUMPED!!!!

Quilmes Cerveza

• Rep: 5
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 08:53:30 AM »
Got some info headed your way!  ;D

Gnarwhal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 04:43:40 PM »
you're leaving tomorrow, correct?

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 10:22:44 PM »
Yeah...flying in 7 hours.  I'll try to post photos and stuff.

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 10:00:56 AM »
6 days in, and Lima is AMAZING!!!  Met some locals who have been taking us everywhere.  The parks here are crazy, and there are little spots everywhere.  People are super friendly too.  People will start cheering for us when we skate by.  It's weird and rad.

Here's the first park we found.  Lots more to come.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »
Some sick stuff dude . Hows the trip going ? anymore updates ?

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »
Yeah...I have way more.  Wasn't sure if anyone cared though.  But tomorrow is the 2 week mark for this trip and I can already say it's probably the best time I've ever had in my life.  I'll try to keep updating this thing.  Here's a couple more youtube vids:

This was crazy.  A whole parade of people started cheering for us.  Definitely would not happen at home.

This spot was super fun.  A whole pile of little skate rats followed us from the skatepark and cheered for us while we skated.

Giovanni Falcone

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 11:15:51 AM »
Hell Yeah! Have you had a Pisco Sour yet?

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 11:33:55 AM »
No...but I did have Ceviche, which pretty much blew my fucking face off.  It's pretty much 5 different kinds of raw seafood, mixed with garlic, red onions, salt, salsa picante, and a whole shitload of lime juice.  It's sooooooo good.  And according to the locals, it gives you magical sex power.  Of course, it's tough to have sex when you can't even talk to girls.  Goddamnit I wish I'd practiced Spanish more.