Author Topic: Do It or Don't Do It?  (Read 13447 times)

dschultz6072

Re: Do It or Don't Do It?
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2006, 09:04:02 PM »
Well sir, if you would have asked me what I liked to skate, you'd find out I can't stand the way Nikes skate, I think Crailtap and all the other Chinese wood-selling companies are stupid for trying to sell shitty wood at the same price you'd pay for good wood (which is why I'm skating an Expedition), and I'm skating a pair of Globe Finales right now.

Hmm...so why did I post that post?  Because I think it's fucking stupid to see you clowns try to convince people not to buy into Nikes and Adidas because they aren't "core" enough for you.

I buy products I like.  I like to see my money go a long way when I purchase things.  I don't care what brand it is, as long as it lasts me.  If I could stand Nikes and they lasted 6 months of skating, you'd never see me in anything different.  If crailtap didn't sell bullshit for 50 dollars, I'd still be skating them.  If a product is superior, it deserves to be in the market.  If it is inferior, it does not.  Don't buy products based upon heresay and garbage propaganda.  Buy them based on experience.  You'll be a much happier consumer and not such a self-righteous core fuck.

sleeeping

« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2006, 10:11:37 PM »
I am always curious what drives people to buy things.
I hear durability alot here.
I guess I'm more worried with performance and comfort.
If the shoes/board wehatever dont feel right, it doesnt matter how long they last.

Lomaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2006, 01:37:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i dont know why people think nike tried to weasel their way in, watch shackle me not
[close]

I don't think Nike was paying riders and making "skate" shoes in the shackle me not days.
[close]
The point you missed or chose to ignore is that skaters have worn nikes since day one, wether you or I agree isn't the point. For some people they skate well and other like them because they look cool or give them some type of cool guy appeal. Small shops dig nike because it brings in a different customer who would never be spending money there .
Yes there are some downfalls to this scenario but when isnt there in life. The ross 15 minutes from my shop has es,emerica,etnies,dc,adio,vans,ipath shoes and clothes for dirt cheap, Not much i can do about that either. Those companies have got product to move and have ends to meet as well. The industry has changed and it isnt going to be the same again. The part all the hardcore nike haters tend  to look past is the business side of it. The same ethics and practices apply to all of them, liquidate,create hype,market,maintain reasonable stock levels. I know the whole giving money back to skaters sounds good but seriously, there are soo many people involved with shoe companies that have zero to do with skateboarding it blows my mind.
Inb the end, support what you want and stop trying to brainwash everyone. It's like religion, it's great your saved and all that, just stop tryng to make me see it your way and help me find the light.  Theyre fucking shoes, what have any of these companies done for you besides convince you theyre worth supporting? not much.
Maybe I do miss the point.  I know that skaters have worn Nike's from day one.  I was one of those wearing Air Jordan's.  But I don't think Nike in the 80's knew (or if they knew didn't care that much) that skaters were wearing them and tried to target them to gain more money.  They got the idea much later when they noticed more and more kids wearing skate shoes instead of basketball shoes.  That's when they tried to make skate shoes the first time and failed.  Then they tried again and succeeded this time around.  I thought that's was meant by weaseling their way in.  I'm not one to preach don't do it.  Do whatever you want.  If you like the way it skates then go buy them. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 01:58:13 AM by Lomaz »

sleeeping

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2006, 07:55:47 AM »
Well my point was about how skaters have chosen nikes throughout the years wether or not nike was trying to be in the industry or market shoes towards skaters.
Growing up i always skated convers allstars and weapons,jordan's and airforce 1's,shelltoes,stan smiths and campus's.same with alot of people i know. noone cared where there money went then.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2006, 09:07:30 AM »
Well my point was about how skaters have chosen nikes throughout the years wether or not nike was trying to be in the industry or market shoes towards skaters.
Growing up i always skated convers allstars and weapons,jordan's and airforce 1's,shelltoes,stan smiths and campus's.same with alot of people i know. noone cared where there money went then.

Most of the time those shoes where on sale for so cheap that no one was making money on them.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2006, 09:10:17 AM »
Support what you like, but don't kid yourself Nike or Adidas as a whole doesn't care about skateboarding, a select few employees do and when their "team" doesn't make sales projections anymore them and the team will be on the unemployment line.
I like Adidas and have two pairs, I also like I Path but have heard from many good sources that the owner is a greedy lawyer only out for the money, is that true I don't know. Vox is rad, but I was told they have backing from a Koren business is this true? I don't know. Vans, any one remember the crap they where putting out in the mid 90's? I have also heard that DVS, Etnies, Osiris, Globe, DC all pay their non skate riders(wake boarders, motocross, surf etc..)more then the skaters who made their names for them, is it true?

But there is still a lot of small skate companies to support, and I do agree with Birdo about the large sport stores getting a huge discount on products while real skate shops don't I think that is wrong and should be stopped.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 09:12:24 AM by fuckingvegan »

fumblebag

• Rep: -2
  • Gesundheit
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2006, 09:25:26 AM »
But there is still a lot of small skate companies to support, and I do agree with Birdo about the large sport stores getting a huge discount on products while real skate shops don't I think that is wrong and should be stopped.

Makes sense from a number-sold point of view, but that pisses me off a bit.  Just 'cause I wish it weren't like that, you know?

Unfortunate.

Anybody in Memphis, please check out "Cheapskates" skate shop.  It's like your favorite real shop, just in Memphis this time.  And it's nice and dirty.
p.s. i do that in the bath sometimes. its fun to do it when you have a woody allen. when you open your legs up, your stick goes straight up, as if it wants to go to heaven.  - quote from guess who.

Edward Penishands

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2006, 09:39:24 AM »
Well sir, if you would have asked me what I liked to skate, you'd find out I can't stand the way Nikes skate, I think Crailtap and all the other Chinese wood-selling companies are stupid for trying to sell shitty wood at the same price you'd pay for good wood (which is why I'm skating an Expedition), and I'm skating a pair of Globe Finales right now.

Hmm...so why did I post that post?  Because I think it's fucking stupid to see you clowns try to convince people not to buy into Nikes and Adidas because they aren't "core" enough for you.

I buy products I like.  I like to see my money go a long way when I purchase things.  I don't care what brand it is, as long as it lasts me.  If I could stand Nikes and they lasted 6 months of skating, you'd never see me in anything different.  If crailtap didn't sell bullshit for 50 dollars, I'd still be skating them.  If a product is superior, it deserves to be in the market.  If it is inferior, it does not.  Don't buy products based upon heresay and garbage propaganda.  Buy them based on experience.  You'll be a much happier consumer and not such a self-righteous core fuck.

atleast i have my dignity
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 09:49:02 AM by Edward Penishands »

roulette

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2006, 01:36:05 PM »
I also like I Path but have heard from many good sources that the owner is a greedy lawyer only out for the money, is that true I don't know.

Matt field?

fuckingvegan

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2006, 02:12:11 PM »
Expand Quote
I also like I Path but have heard from many good sources that the owner is a greedy lawyer only out for the money, is that true I don't know.
[close]

Matt field?

The other guy that owns it with him.

roulette

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2006, 03:56:25 PM »
o, cuz i was gonna say matts a chiller

crailtapper

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2006, 04:50:34 PM »
IF YOU HAVE "crailtap" IN YOUR USERNAME STOP POSTING

dude, your name is fucking MIZZARK. and a crailtap is a trick, not just a company that has boards made in china, douche.

Mizzark

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2006, 04:53:28 PM »
Expand Quote
IF YOU HAVE "crailtap" IN YOUR USERNAME STOP POSTING
[close]

dude, your name is fucking MIZZARK. and a crailtap is a trick, not just a company that has boards made in china, douche.

NO YOURE THE DOUCE

crailtapper

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2006, 05:08:01 PM »

suckafoo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2006, 06:27:26 PM »
Skateboarders need to take back skateboarding...fuck Nike.
Well I believe in the devil....and nothing scares me more than Keyser Soze.

HoSGage

« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2006, 08:14:00 AM »
JUST DO IT
Quote from Guile

and isnt your crew a baker bite? hammercity. you might as well call it stretchmouth, because your gonna be covered in stretch marks when i finish feeding you this big dong soup.

roulette

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2006, 09:42:26 AM »
righteous!

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2006, 09:47:07 AM »

i dont see this happening in the next 3 years or so, comapnies going public, x-games and last "streetwear" have taken over skateboarding.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

Bushsucks

• Rep: 3
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2006, 02:55:09 AM »
Nike is getting outta hand. WTF: http://www.stereogum.com/archives/002929.html

bert

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2006, 03:19:09 AM »
what is so crazy about that? the peewee herman dunk seems far more random to me.

swamp ass

« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2006, 01:59:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

"why thanks silly goosth!!!  by buying those new brian anderson dunks you just paid for another bikini wax for me and my friends!!! chips and bean dip at my place at 5 sk8r bois!!!

caio!!"

Did that guy bleach his goatee to match his frosted tips?

Mizzork

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2006, 07:25:45 PM »
My first pair of skate shoes were Nike Cross Trainers in 1987.  I skated my brother's Air Jordan Ones(red and black) when he retired them because I needed a pair to skate in.  Now, I buy whatever is cheap and on sale (no more than $30 for a pair of shoes).  I have a closet full of skateshoes in their boxes and nobody profited from my hard earned money except myself.

Mizzork

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2006, 07:29:33 PM »
I just reread my post and I don't like it so, instead spend your hard earned money on shit like this:

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-micro-line/headroom-micro-amp.php

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2006, 07:30:25 PM »
jordan 1's have to be on the list for best all time skate shoes....

Mizzork

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2006, 12:24:23 AM »
Yeah, but. . .headphone amps, dude!  If you have a half decent set of cans, you could be blowing your mind right now!

LouDiamondPhillips

« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2006, 10:40:14 PM »
Support what you like, but don't kid yourself Nike or Adidas as a whole doesn't care about skateboarding, a select few employees do and when their "team" doesn't make sales projections anymore them and the team will be on the unemployment line.
I like Adidas and have two pairs, I also like I Path but have heard from many good sources that the owner is a greedy lawyer only out for the money, is that true I don't know. Vox is rad, but I was told they have backing from a Koren business is this true? I don't know. Vans, any one remember the crap they where putting out in the mid 90's? I have also heard that DVS, Etnies, Osiris, Globe, DC all pay their non skate riders(wake boarders, motocross, surf etc..)more then the skaters who made their names for them, is it true?

Ipath is ran by a very greedy owner - which is why adio passed on the offer when ipath was up for sale a few months back. now ipath is up for sale again - this time Volcom ( who has been looking to get into the $shoe market$ for quite some time ) is at the table and will most likely purchase them for a slighty inflated price - and when i say inflated price - is because Ipath hasnt been doing so well bizness wise in the past year if you havent noticed. The company backing VOX is a korean bizness man - who just happens to own a vulcanized factory which is why most VOX shoes are vulcanized buttt the guy does, or did skate but never went pro - not that he even tried. ...   so he went into bizness doing whatever and that lead to owning a firm who owns a vulcanized factory ( plus other non-shoe factories for clothing-backpacks etc.. ) VOX can pretty much run at a loss for 2 years and still be just fine. last i heard was that they are most likely turning a profit by the end of the fiscal year -- which is pretty dam good.

the discounting thing is fucked. the reason the big stores are getting big discounts is because they can buy the entire production (or close enough to it ) run right off the bat. add that times however many styles you see per company = a big discount -  where normally a company gives itemized discounts for prebooking the shoe and what isnt sold at prebook time becomes on hand stock for At-Once orders, with the on hand stock potentially becoming old and turing into discounted//offprice stock...to which the company either breaks even or they lose money on the shoe. I know of some companies that are working on mass discounts for the smaller shops, and by smaller shops i mean one door mom and pop shops - to where if enough of the mom and pop shops buy the same shoe and hit the production run quota - a higher discount would apply - its quite a logistical nightmare to do this so while there may be talk of this in the offices of your favorite companies - the only thing companies can do RIGHT NOW is offer shoes in certain colors and materials that will not be in the major stores like pac sun and journeys.

so this leads me to the question- you see your favorite brand in a big time store, but when you go to your mom and pop local shop you see your brand but in different ( usually better ) colors and materials or totally different styles all together -  do you hate that company because they are sold at pac-sun in the mall or do you still support them because ' the good - skateable - whatever ' styles are at your local shop?   

Omare

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2006, 01:35:55 AM »
I never had anything from Consolidated in my entire life (as well as a shaved head). I do have Nike PRODs however.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2006, 06:47:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ipath is ran by a very greedy owner - which is why adio passed on the offer when ipath was up for sale a few months back. now ipath is up for sale again - this time Volcom ( who has been looking to get into the $shoe market$ for quite some time ) is at the table and will most likely purchase them for a slighty inflated price - and when i say inflated price - is because Ipath hasnt been doing so well bizness wise in the past year if you havent noticed. The company backing VOX is a korean bizness man - who just happens to own a vulcanized factory which is why most VOX shoes are vulcanized buttt the guy does, or did skate but never went pro - not that he even tried. ...   so he went into bizness doing whatever and that lead to owning a firm who owns a vulcanized factory ( plus other non-shoe factories for clothing-backpacks etc.. ) VOX can pretty much run at a loss for 2 years and still be just fine. last i heard was that they are most likely turning a profit by the end of the fiscal year -- which is pretty dam good.

the discounting thing is fucked. the reason the big stores are getting big discounts is because they can buy the entire production (or close enough to it ) run right off the bat. add that times however many styles you see per company = a big discount -  where normally a company gives itemized discounts for prebooking the shoe and what isnt sold at prebook time becomes on hand stock for At-Once orders, with the on hand stock potentially becoming old and turing into discounted//offprice stock...to which the company either breaks even or they lose money on the shoe. I know of some companies that are working on mass discounts for the smaller shops, and by smaller shops i mean one door mom and pop shops - to where if enough of the mom and pop shops buy the same shoe and hit the production run quota - a higher discount would apply - its quite a logistical nightmare to do this so while there may be talk of this in the offices of your favorite companies - the only thing companies can do RIGHT NOW is offer shoes in certain colors and materials that will not be in the major stores like pac sun and journeys.

so this leads me to the question- you see your favorite brand in a big time store, but when you go to your mom and pop local shop you see your brand but in different ( usually better ) colors and materials or totally different styles all together -  do you hate that company because they are sold at pac-sun in the mall or do you still support them because ' the good - skateable - whatever ' styles are at your local shop?   

I don't hate anyone, most of the stuff I support outside of shoes and trucks is not going to be found in most big stores. Also to me it is more important to support a skater owned shop even if they have stuff the big names do. I am lucky there are two good skate shops here.
And thanks for the update on I Path.

Rocuronium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2006, 08:33:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

These are the best kind of posts. When they freely roamed this board in multitudes it was great.
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2006, 08:43:39 AM »
I wonder if Birdo will ever attack Vans for being owned by Lee/Wrangler. I'd love to see the reaction to that... especially since Vans is like a holy brand to so many "purists."