Author Topic: well, its official (not appleyard)  (Read 23481 times)

acider

Re: well, its official.
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 10:46:17 AM »
That flip ad proves a point, who wants to ride for some company like that. Good thing they are under NHS, proud makers of stuff like:

Billabong is no worse than NHS, they are just more successful.
god you're a fucking piece of shit.  weren't you the guy who wouldn't stop talking about how daryl angel was an asshole even though you never meant him?  obviously your opinions have no basis in reality cause if youve ever meant daryl angel you know he is nice to everyone.  say what you will about some of the product nhs puts out, they are good to local skaters who need product, employ a ton of cool people, make the highest quality trucks in the world and do charitable work in the santa cruz area.  

edit: also in santa cruz there is a connection between skating and surfing because santa cruz is great for both and kids actually like to have fun in multiple ways.  the kid surfing in the ad (austin smith ford) grew up no more than 10 miles from the nhs factory and now they are hooking him up i think that's pretty rad.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:56:11 AM by terreck »

Beer Wizard

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 10:56:39 AM »
Expand Quote
How come Rohan doesn't show up in Pros or Icons?
[close]

um this.
This.  Dude deserves element paychecks even if I'd rather see him on something more legit.

boyan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
I'm really liking the stuff element has been doing for the past year,

away with the shoe program, but still put out the footy (trio), team additions, ...

interviews:

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/1000123827/features/newshit-interview-mark-appleyard-on-element/
http://espn.go.com/action/skateboarding/news/story?id=5661793
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:13:43 AM by boyan »

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 11:15:01 AM »
Expand Quote
That flip ad proves a point, who wants to ride for some company like that. Good thing they are under NHS, proud makers of stuff like:

[close]
god you're a fucking piece of shit. �weren't you the guy who wouldn't stop talking about how daryl angel was an asshole even though you never meant him? �obviously your opinions have no basis in reality cause if youve ever meant daryl angel you know he is nice to everyone. �say what you will about some of the product nhs puts out, they are good to local skaters who need product, employ a ton of cool people, make the highest quality trucks in the world and do charitable work in the santa cruz area. �

edit: also in santa cruz there is a connection between skating and surfing because santa cruz is great for both and kids actually like to have fun in multiple ways.� the kid surfing in the ad (austin smith ford) grew up no more than 10 miles from the nhs factory and now they are hooking him up i think that's pretty rad.
Read what Gipper wrote and think about it, he and I don't always see eye to eye, but his point is on the mark here. Why the fuck is Flop calling out Element for being a surf company when Santa Cruz, who they're now in bed with, makes surfboards? They are the pot calling the kettle black, which is complete retardation.

Unfortunately, your point about Daryl is irrelevant and I'm sure Billabong employs plenty of "good" people somewhere in the world too so that doesn't really prove anything either...
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »
I'm not sure I believe Appleyard. Check out his facial expression at the end when he says he's hyped. I can't tell for sure but it looks kind of forced, like he's not really that sure about this move.

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/1000123827/features/newshit-interview-mark-appleyard-on-element/
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:24:27 AM by Pavementi »
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2010, 11:24:27 AM »
I posted this in the other thread, but this thread looks to be getting more attention, so...

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/mark-appleyard-interview/

What's been on your mind lately?
I'm always thinking of ways to live leisurely. Ways to, you know, get rich.

Yeah, 'cause lately every time we're hanging out you're always talking 
about schemes so you'll never have 
to work again.
Exactly. I don't ever want to have to work. After skateboarding I don't think I could work.

Are you worried that you're not cut out for the world of employment?
Yeah. I'm just scared that I'm going to have to work, and I don't want to. And I like nice stuff-cars and houses. I like the leisurely lifestyle, so my mind's brewing on a lot of ideas. Sometimes they work out.

What are some of your winning ideas?
I had some money in United States currency and I waited until the Canadian currency was worth the most. When it was $1.00 to $1.40 Canadian I traded a couple hundred grand and made about $70,000 in the exchange.

This is very different from the young man dreaming about crooked grinds from a few years ago.
Yeah, well, you know, as time goes by you realize that it would be nice to be rich.

In fact, the last time we did an interview you spoke specifically about how you had gotten rid of your luxury car. You said, at that time, that luxury cars were stupid. What made you change your mind? I know these days you have two luxury cars and have even purchased some men's jewelry. What changed?
I think I just woke up to it. I was like, "Shit! 
I like nice shit!" The luxury cars are way better than the other ones.

Riverside

• Rep: -33
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 11:28:10 AM »

My hate for David Gonzalez just tripled. Doesn't he ride for Volcom, a surf company? and Globe?This whole fake punker middle finger thing is so stupid.  
rowley also rides for the same surf company (volcom). and by the way, vans is also pretty anti-surf
Sooner or later the Karma always end in your fucking face

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 11:29:08 AM »
no this is how it really is:

flip makes paper thin boards that feel soggy after 2 days with stupid graphics and dumb campaigns

element tries to be this really core brand through and fucking through and so many fags have repped the shit out of this backward ass brand deadly to the environment brand it is an eyesore to see that stupid logo, its like trying to avoid listening to nickelback.

nhs was at a time the top of the skateboard game, well lots of things have changed, namely the fact that over 90% of the brands in the past 10 years have cut costs extravagantly to the point where there are less than a handful of distributors competing on price and not quality and putting out the same tired graphics over and over again... it is impossible for any of these big companies to compete on those piss poor margins especially since the US manufacturing industry has been diarheaing the bed over the past two years... so they have to keep pressing bad boards and stupid graphics to stay in business...

so i dont really see how either 1 of these companies is any more "legit" or "core" or even "cool" than the other... you really have to look to those smaller brands to find the cool stuff nowadays, unfortunatly they dont have the money to put towards good wood, is there even a board brand out there that still makes boards out of good wood??? honestly i dont even really see AWS, girl, real as any different any more... i used to put those brand sorta one step higher but im pretty sure thats out the window now. please, correct me if im wrong.
ONTARIO CANADA

darth nihilus

• Rep: 11
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2010, 11:33:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
god you're a fucking piece of shit.  weren't you the guy who wouldn't stop talking about how daryl angel was an asshole even though you never meant him?  obviously your opinions have no basis in reality cause if youve ever meant daryl angel you know he is nice to everyone.  say what you will about some of the product nhs puts out, they are good to local skaters who need product, employ a ton of cool people, make the highest quality trucks in the world and do charitable work in the santa cruz area.  

edit: also in santa cruz there is a connection between skating and surfing because santa cruz is great for both and kids actually like to have fun in multiple ways.  the kid surfing in the ad (austin smith ford) grew up no more than 10 miles from the nhs factory and now they are hooking him up i think that's pretty rad.

That's Ford Archbold, son of legendary surfer Matt Archbold. He grew up in Newport Beach. just sayin'.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:34:38 AM by darth nihilus »

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 11:36:13 AM »
They were moved to the "icons" tab

I was hoping for an apples welcome video  :-\

Little apples video here:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2010, 11:49:37 AM »
LOL if Bams off element, hes fucked!!!
With the 3rd jackass movie coming out sooner or later, they probably will never get rid of him because of the obvious high visibility of their brand with the same people that watch those movies.

That photo of Geoff and flip kiddy skateboarder #4 is funny.  Their shirts should read "Not for $ale.  Not yet."

Ernie McCracken

• Rep: 35
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
Expand Quote
They were moved to the "icons" tab

I was hoping for an apples welcome video  :-\
[close]

Little apples video here:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

dude.. like kelly hart says dude a lot dude.

Connor Davis

• Rep: -1
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2010, 11:54:08 AM »
I hope Flip can stop being so hard headed and take this, as well as all the other dudes leaving, as a learning experience and finally get their shit together.

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2010, 11:55:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
With the 3rd jackass movie coming out sooner or later, they probably will never get rid of him because of the obvious high visibility of their brand with the same people that watch those movies.

That photo of Geoff and flip kiddy skateboarder #4 is funny.� Their shirts should read "Not for $ale.� Not yet."
>agreed, bam is loaded, he doesnt have to do anything if he doesnt want to.

ster

• Rep: -13
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That photo of Geoff and flip kiddy skateboarder #4 is funny.  Their shirts should read "Not for $ale.  Not yet."
isn't "flip kiddy skateboarder #4" pretty old?

Hold The Tomatos

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2010, 12:08:10 PM »
Element in my opinion, has bee the most successful company to re-jump start themselves without falling off and coming back into the game. It seems as though they listened to the streets and did everything in their power to clean themselves up. Billabong has some good minds in their PR department.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2010, 12:11:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
isn't "flip kiddy skateboarder #4" pretty old?
Nah, he just looks haggard.

bandini

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2010, 12:22:17 PM »
It seems as though they listened to the streets

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, in our faggy new world, a bunch of chumps whining on an internet message board now qualifies as "the streets."

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2010, 12:23:12 PM »
it's rad rowley has a new girlfriend....

fox would sell out if he could....

habitual.

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2010, 12:45:19 PM »

My hate for David Gonzalez just tripled. Doesn't he ride for Volcom, a surf company? and Globe?This whole fake punker middle finger thing is so stupid. 

I think the ad is aimed at billabong and the whole world domination trip they're on.  They recently bought RVCA too. I think don't this is a stab at Apples personally. It just makes sense they make this statement on the day that the new rider is accounced considering the context. The whole not for sale thing leads me to believe flip or nhs may have been approached by Billabong.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:14:20 PM by Joe Leeper »

acider

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
god you're a fucking piece of shit. �weren't you the guy who wouldn't stop talking about how daryl angel was an asshole even though you never meant him? �obviously your opinions have no basis in reality cause if youve ever meant daryl angel you know he is nice to everyone. �say what you will about some of the product nhs puts out, they are good to local skaters who need product, employ a ton of cool people, make the highest quality trucks in the world and do charitable work in the santa cruz area. �

edit: also in santa cruz there is a connection between skating and surfing because santa cruz is great for both and kids actually like to have fun in multiple ways.� the kid surfing in the ad (austin smith ford) grew up no more than 10 miles from the nhs factory and now they are hooking him up i think that's pretty rad.
[close]

That's Ford Archbold, son of legendary surfer Matt Archbold. He grew up in Newport Beach. just sayin'.
yeah my bad. austin smith ford does ride for them though i was confused because i saw the ford and i don't surf or pay attention to surfing i just have heard about him from every surf bro i know.  still santa cruz does sponsor a ton of local dudes on all levels for all of their products which is cool.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Read what Gipper wrote and think about it, he and I don't always see eye to eye, but his point is on the mark here. Why the fuck is Flop calling out Element for being a surf company when Santa Cruz, who they're now in bed with, makes surfboards? They are the pot calling the kettle black, which is complete retardation.

Unfortunately, your point about Daryl is irrelevant and I'm sure Billabong employs plenty of "good" people somewhere in the world too so that doesn't really prove anything either...
i totally see what he is saying about the flip criticism of element and i agree with both of you.  however, to say nhs is just like billabong really just proves you two have no idea what you are talking about as did the daryl angel situation with the gipper.  im not into surfing as evidenced by my error above, but there is a huge difference between a corporation like billabong and nhs.  every company employs good people, that is a subjective term and was only one of my reasons supporting my argument.  however, look at the brands on nhs: independent, santa cruz, creature, krux, flip and ricta.  whether or not there is a surfing element attached, these companies make good product and have people who care deeply about skating working for them (ron whaley is an example at krux). billabong made tons of money off of surf related clothing and then bought a lame skate company to make more profits.  nhs began with skateboarding, still makes some of the best product on the market and is more than generous to people in the community in which they are located.  i agree that rowley has no place to be criticizing surf companies (HE RIDES FOR VOLCOM!), almost no one in the skate industry does, but saying nhs is a bad as billabong is just untrue.

also to the gipper, you can just go to mayfair plaza and tell daryl angel to his face that he is an asshole and educate everyone at the park about what an asshole he is cause i think a lot of them don't know and would be grateful to have your knowledge expounded on them.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2010, 01:31:23 PM »
Anyone read the interview with appleyard on the tws site. It said that Monster bought Lutzka a house as a signing bonus, if they could do that for lutzka, i wonder what kind of bonus they've done for other riders?

MrDreamPop

• Rep: -86
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2010, 01:59:31 PM »
Anyone read the interview with appleyard on the tws site. It said that Monster bought Lutzka a house as a signing bonus, if they could do that for lutzka, i wonder what kind of bonus they've done for other riders?

god damn!  what they get cole, all of philadelphia?  they probs gave him unlimited bmx lessons from their bmx pros.
life poser

MrDreamPop

• Rep: -86
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2010, 02:02:18 PM »
I posted this in the other thread, but this thread looks to be getting more attention, so...

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/mark-appleyard-interview/

What's been on your mind lately?
I'm always thinking of ways to live leisurely. Ways to, you know, get rich.

Yeah, 'cause lately every time we're hanging out you're always talking 
about schemes so you'll never have 
to work again.
Exactly. I don't ever want to have to work. After skateboarding I don't think I could work.

Are you worried that you're not cut out for the world of employment?
Yeah. I'm just scared that I'm going to have to work, and I don't want to. And I like nice stuff-cars and houses. I like the leisurely lifestyle, so my mind's brewing on a lot of ideas. Sometimes they work out.

What are some of your winning ideas?
I had some money in United States currency and I waited until the Canadian currency was worth the most. When it was $1.00 to $1.40 Canadian I traded a couple hundred grand and made about $70,000 in the exchange.

This is very different from the young man dreaming about crooked grinds from a few years ago.
Yeah, well, you know, as time goes by you realize that it would be nice to be rich.

In fact, the last time we did an interview you spoke specifically about how you had gotten rid of your luxury car. You said, at that time, that luxury cars were stupid. What made you change your mind? I know these days you have two luxury cars and have even purchased some men's jewelry. What changed?
I think I just woke up to it. I was like, "Shit! 
I like nice shit!" The luxury cars are way better than the other ones.

ain't nothing wrong with never wanting to work again.  my hats off to the people that can make it happen
life poser

Boomhauer

• Rep: 43
  • Yep
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2010, 02:29:17 PM »

PsychOut

Element Just Got Even Better (Not Appleyard)
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2010, 02:50:57 PM »
(better then they were) looks like Bam has been taken off, the days are over. fresh start.

smokecrack

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -160
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2010, 02:51:03 PM »
here are some of my favorite parts of the Appleyard TWS interview:

What inspired the move to Element? Had it been in the works for a while?
I mean, I had a lot of options and I just figured that Element best suits my vibe. It?s just a nice company and kinda earthy and nature-y and stuff. I just felt like, ?Damn that?s where I wana be.? And then I met up with the guys and they were really cool and we just clicked. I?m down?it?s sick.

On a different note, what made you tattoo ?one love? on your forearm instead of buying a Bob Marley poster like everyone else?
[Laughs.] True. Maybe I should have just bought the Bob Marley poster but I was in Finland and a friend of mine tattooed at his apartment. I guess I was just feelin? it. I dunno, ?One love? is just kinda rootsy or something. Or that?s what I was thinkin? at the time. [Laughs].

Fellow Element rider Muska once said, ?Money makes you thick.? Considering the new deal with Element, how thick should we expect you to get?
A little thicker than I am now, but not too thick.

More sushi dinners?
Yeah, some sushi dinners, but some more steak.

Just getting that Filet Mignon or what?
Yeah more Filet Mignon. [Laughs].

fuck yeah, Apples!! i'd be hyped too if i was on a board company that was more earthy and nature-y. so rootsy. hell yeah. i'm predicting some baller-ass dinner tonight!

Paper Crane

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2010, 02:52:11 PM »

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
Re: Element Just Got Even Better (Not Appleyard)
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2010, 02:53:18 PM »
check the icons love

Paper Crane

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
Re: Element Just Got Even Better (Not Appleyard)
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2010, 02:55:04 PM »
torch thyself.