Author Topic: well, its official (not appleyard)  (Read 23490 times)

P Casanova

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -124
    • Eastern Exposure avatar image
Re: Element Just Got Even Better (Not Appleyard)
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2010, 03:03:53 PM »
haha Bam isn't going anywhere he made Element so much money.

ster

• Rep: -13
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2010, 03:16:21 PM »
regular thread is regular

Magic Pizza

• Rep: 175
Re: well, its official.
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »
here are some of my favorite parts of the Appleyard TWS interview:

What inspired the move to Element? Had it been in the works for a while?
I mean, I had a lot of options and I just figured that Element best suits my vibe. It?s just a nice company and kinda earthy and nature-y and stuff. I just felt like, ?Damn that?s where I wana be.? And then I met up with the guys and they were really cool and we just clicked. I?m down?it?s sick.

On a different note, what made you tattoo ?one love? on your forearm instead of buying a Bob Marley poster like everyone else?
[Laughs.] True. Maybe I should have just bought the Bob Marley poster but I was in Finland and a friend of mine tattooed at his apartment. I guess I was just feelin? it. I dunno, ?One love? is just kinda rootsy or something. Or that?s what I was thinkin? at the time. [Laughs].

Fellow Element rider Muska once said, ?Money makes you thick.? Considering the new deal with Element, how thick should we expect you to get?
A little thicker than I am now, but not too thick.

More sushi dinners?
Yeah, some sushi dinners, but some more steak.

Just getting that Filet Mignon or what?
Yeah more Filet Mignon. [Laughs].

fuck yeah, Apples!! i'd be hyped too if i was on a board company that was more earthy and nature-y. so rootsy. hell yeah. i'm predicting some baller-ass dinner tonight!

Hell yeah, now I'm stoked to just go out and push!

duffmanshredder

• Rep: 16
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2010, 03:30:14 PM »
Man I can't wait for him to share a part with Bam, so I can see some hammers thrown down on some dropspots.  $20 safety cone FTW!!!
it's not fantasizing if it really happened.  your gay as fuck for even thinkin about them havin sex u fagit

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2010, 03:34:58 PM »

Hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
LOL if Bams off element, hes fucked!!!
[close]

no hes not. trust me.
[close]
Yeah, it's not like he bought that lamborghini from board royalties, he's had quite a few incredibly successful TV shows & movies. Bam is rich, were the poor suckers who are fucked! I imagine Bam will always be a part of Element and is probably ok with bring moved from pro status to icon status. The guy obviously has bigger plans and aspirations than being a pro skater forever.
And congrats to Apples, always been a fan of his.

I remember reading a few years ago that bam has sold more boards than any other pro ever.

Hatechild

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2010, 03:54:56 PM »
Icon Series = Your not fired but you're sure getting a pay cut.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2010, 04:11:14 PM »
Bam is sick when he actually skates.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2010, 04:12:35 PM »
(better then they were) looks like Bam has been taken off, the days are over. fresh start.

:o

http://www.elementskateboards.com/team/bam-margera/
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

gripittoripit

• Rep: -36
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »
He is still on, they moved him to the icons team. Look around before posting.

popsiclesandskatin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »
If element took bam off that would actually make them worse.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »
All in all its a good move . Flip has changed ALOT . In the interview he said he wasnt happy at flip , why work with something and represent it if you aint happy with it . Also says Appleyard is married now and with marrige comes big responsibilitys , specialy if you want to have kids and shit . congrats on getting married !

Element has one of the sickest pro teams now , timtim , stranton , brown , apples . While Element might not have been the coolest company , they were doing alot for the skateboarding comunity , They have a Europen Pro and Am team , Canadian , Japanese too I belive , plus they sponsor alot of contests and building stuff in europe atleast , not counting the number of dudes they are flowing

plus they have jeremy wray

The only thing I dont get about Appleyard is that in one interview just befor the thasher one , dude was saying that he doesnt want to milk his carrer , money aint that important , and hes not one of those dudes that are above getting a regular job when his carrer is over .

Anyways , stoked for Appleyard . Dude has nice style and tricks , he says hes slowing down but every clip hes had on the berrics hes murking it .

adumb

• Rep: -5
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2010, 04:59:33 PM »
I'm not sure I believe Appleyard. Check out his facial expression at the end when he says he's hyped. I can't tell for sure but it looks kind of forced, like he's not really that sure about this move.

Maybe he's higher than a giraffe's ass. I mean he is all nature-y and roots-y and one love-y.

gkn00dlez

« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »
Why is Bam considered an icon? discuss.

dude

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2010, 05:28:53 PM »
I posted this in the other thread, but this thread looks to be getting more attention, so...

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/mark-appleyard-interview/

What's been on your mind lately?
I'm always thinking of ways to live leisurely. Ways to, you know, get rich.

Yeah, 'cause lately every time we're hanging out you're always talking 
about schemes so you'll never have 
to work again.
Exactly. I don't ever want to have to work. After skateboarding I don't think I could work.

Are you worried that you're not cut out for the world of employment?
Yeah. I'm just scared that I'm going to have to work, and I don't want to. And I like nice stuff-cars and houses. I like the leisurely lifestyle, so my mind's brewing on a lot of ideas. Sometimes they work out.

What are some of your winning ideas?
I had some money in United States currency and I waited until the Canadian currency was worth the most. When it was $1.00 to $1.40 Canadian I traded a couple hundred grand and made about $70,000 in the exchange.

This is very different from the young man dreaming about crooked grinds from a few years ago.
Yeah, well, you know, as time goes by you realize that it would be nice to be rich.

In fact, the last time we did an interview you spoke specifically about how you had gotten rid of your luxury car. You said, at that time, that luxury cars were stupid. What made you change your mind? I know these days you have two luxury cars and have even purchased some men's jewelry. What changed?
I think I just woke up to it. I was like, "Shit! 
I like nice shit!" The luxury cars are way better than the other ones.

im so glad you did this man. i remember reading that interview and thinking, man, appleyard doesnt give a fuck anymore. he'll probably go out and get one semi legit trick every 2 or 3 months just to keep his sponsors happy enough not kcik him off. the second thing i thought was jesus, its all about money with this guy. say what you want about malto, luztka, chazz ortiz, fucking apples is straight up like "ya i dont care about skating anymore, i just want to be rich". i wish his 19 year old self would nollie back heel a huge set then proceed to beat the living fuck outta his future selfs ass.

i agree completely with the new flip ad "fuck retirement homes" which exactly what element is for appleyard. a nice place to quietly relax and do some chill battle commanders or whatever as he coasts his way to retirement. fuck him.

bandini

« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2010, 05:40:37 PM »
i agree completely with the new flip ad "fuck retirement homes" which exactly what element is for appleyard. a nice place to quietly relax and do some chill battle commanders or whatever as he coasts his way to retirement. fuck him.

Let me guess... you're still living with your parents, right?

What he actually said in that interview was that he loves skating so much he doesn't want to get hurt doing a bunch of carcass tossing. He's older now & has to choose his battles more. He also said that he's realized he likes nice stuff and is starting to get that if he doesn't make some wise money choices now, he's gonna end up working some job he hates after skating is over for him.

This is called wisdom and maturity.

Your post indicates that you're a long way from either.

FigsyLeBon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2010, 06:21:47 PM »

Maybe because he doesn't really skate anymore yet still makes money from the industry? There are more than a couple of "icons" doing the same thing right now
Quote from: My penis is on my forehead
damn fam.... yall dont want it with Kalis

FigsyLeBon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2010, 06:25:13 PM »
Also, looking at the black apples graphic made me think of buying an element board for the first time in around 9 years, A decent team really can do wonders for a company's image
Quote from: My penis is on my forehead
damn fam.... yall dont want it with Kalis

Cold Pizza

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2010, 06:30:24 PM »
Bam is sick when he actually skates.

Definitely.  Dude has switch back tails on lock, and can shred FDR no problem.  ATV ripper...............the problem is getting him to actually skate and not "do jackass".

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2010, 06:37:32 PM »
its a fucking icon for element, he filled that shit with money
imagine if he would have stayed at toy machine.... templeton would be swimming (of course naked) on money

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2010, 06:41:47 PM »
Vallely on Flip
ableSkateMag.com

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2010, 07:48:34 PM »
i wonder if penny saw the ad?

PsychOut

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2010, 08:19:54 PM »
He is still on, they moved him to the icons team. Look around before posting.

sorry HeartAgram

hfrancis

• Rep: -1
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »
Here is my long winded version of the event. I thought it was a great skateboard history lesson and talk. Most of you already know much of the story but for those who don't here you go.

The skateboard panel event held at NextSpace, didn?t have the full house of (90) I?d hoped for but it did have the stories. If you skateboard and wanted to know the history of Santa Cruz Skateboards, the various changes in the history of skateboard wheel since the 70?s or about all the one off skateboard machines that NHS uses to test and build the latest greatest skateboard products, you missed your opportunity. You missed Aptos local, Don Bostick who founded the World Cup of Skateboarding (with his wife Danielle Bostick), talk about his passion for skateboarding and the lumps and bumps along his career path. You missed the story behind the Maloof Money Cup?s skate event with highest money purse in skateboardings history. Don?s his first introduction to events via Tony Hawk and how he hung up on them thinking it was a crank call and how they called back and changed his life?s path. And his early days working on the X Games to present day mega ramp events that are coming in the near future.

Thursday night was the Santa Cruz Design and Innovation Skateboard Panel event at NextSpace which had a kind of high cover for this economy but it still had a crowd of around 50 people. In the audience was Jeff Kendall the VP with NHS. TC the owner of the new Santa Cruz Boardroom skate shop, and Annie Morhauser from Annie Glass with her son Taylor, and a host of others, I invited Rick Blackhart, Jimbo and Jim Phillips, Keith Meek and many other skaters though many didn?t make it.

If you every wondered what the letters NHS stands for you would of heard the full story as told by Tim Piumarta, the Director of R+D at NHS and skated for NHS back in the early days and started to work for them in his teens and has never stopped. His passion for skate and his knowledge was inspiring. Tim was the first speaker on the panel, who could have talked for the whole evening and we would have been more than happy to listen.

NHS stands for Novak, Haute and Shuirman and was founded in the early 70?s. Richard Novak still owns and runs the company with president Bob Denike, who is another true blue skater from back in the day. Doug Haute is the legendary surfboard shaper and owner of Haute Surfboards located on Swift Street on the West side. Jay Shuirman was a great counter balance and best friend to Richard Novak. Jay was an amazing person who died of Leukemia at age 42. (Read the book ?Built to Grind?by Independent Trucks and learn more about Jay?s amazing life and how his influence started a change in the skate industry that has made an ever lasting impact). The NHS brands are well known worldwide which include the following: Santa Cruz Skateboards, Independent Trucks, Ricta Wheel Dynamics, Krux Trucks, Creature Skateboards, Designarium, Nor Cal, Mob Grip, Bullet Products, Anti-Crime and Strange Notes. Some of the brands from the early days were Road Rider, OJ Wheels, Cellblocks, Park Rider and a few others.

Tim talked about the history of the skateboard wheel from back in the ball bearing days to the transition of the sealed bearing and how it changed skateboarding forever. How a man with an idea to put a bearing from a Xerox machine into a wheel for a faster and quieter ride and how he drove down 41st and stopped at the first surf shop he came across to try and sell his idea. He stopped at O'neills which at the time was managed and run by Jon Buckley and Michael Mitchell. They told their bosses who said we don?t do skateboards. Michael told the man to go to the Santa Cruz Surf Shop which was the closest one to the beach on 41st and owned by NHS. Jay and Rich worked out the deal to make the wheel design to fit the bearings and the rest is history. Maybe one day NHS will write a book about their amazing story.

Tim proceeded to show us the first wheels and it?s size to tall wheels, wide wheels, for each type of skating all the way to the present wheel which in contrast to the first wheel is surprisingly around the exact same size but with a radius edge and cores. After he spoke, next up was Connor Welles, Hard Goods Development Coordinator at NHS. His parents were in the audience and it was nice to see their big smiles. He talked about the process of getting skateboard products manufactured and working with product managers. Next was Don Bostick who?s life was guided by his skateboarding passion. Fourth on the panel was Erik Florio - CEO and Founder Whagaa/Go Learn to Skate Apple iphone application which is based in Scotts Valley. Erik talked about the early days of wanting to do apps before the iPhone and his connection with DK and how his app went to number one for a month on itunes.

I was next and talked about skateboarding and design and showed a short Powerpoint presentation. I talked a bit about when I graduated from San Jose State University back in the mid 80?s and how I worked at the Santa Cruz Surf Shop (the same shop NHS started) as manager, buyer, airbrushed surfboards and met many owners of surf and skate brands. One of my graphic design teachers, Russell Leong, encouraged me to use my action sports connections to start my own business Maximum Impact Design. During my presentation I showed an Electronic Arts ad that was a rough sketch design and then the finished product and how it was all done via oldschool mechanical art.

Last but not least on the panel was DK (Danny Keith) or Ricky Danny if you are on twitter or listen to KDON. He spoke about his Grind for Hunger non-profit, running a retail skate business and his love for skating and how it has driven his life. There was always this underlying tone of skate and passion with everyone?s talks. I hope the stories get spread around so people can tell their kids. Santa Cruz skateboard changed lives and will forever be changing lives in the future.

Thank you to all the sponsors for supporting this event. Santa Cruz Skateboard, Santa Cruz Skate Shop, NextSpace, Fringe, Khiro Skateboard Products and Parachute Design

http://skateboardersjournal.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-design-innovation-centers

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2010, 09:49:23 PM »
flip is blowing it all across the board. I hope apples and lil davey share a room on the next globe tour.

RonBurgundy

• Rep: -40
  • from a whale's vagina
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »
TLDR ;D

Gnomon

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2010, 10:07:13 PM »
i just noticed daveed is wearing the most obnoxious ring ever. I'm starting to hate him again.

Gnomon

« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2010, 10:18:07 PM »
dudes been around forever though

Giovanni Falcone

« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2010, 10:23:32 PM »
Looking forward to the next tour video

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2010, 10:28:15 PM »
at 900 plus posts, threads like these are like gas stations along my long and winding road to becoming a PAL. i love you all.