Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738937 times)

formeitscrazylike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Ace trucks
« on: November 01, 2010, 03:55:56 PM »
I've had the same pair of ace trucks for well over a year, maybe even 2 and i fuckin love them. they're minimal, after skating with these for so long, when i look at someone else's trucks they look wayyy to big to me. they got the most fantastic crooked grind groove ever too, BUT, the pivot cup is all fucked up, i tried taking them apart and replacing the pivot cup but they put something in there so it won't come out. i tried pliers to no avail and even tried to burn it out but the fumes and the fact that it might not work were freaking me out so i just put it back on all mangled. as of now it rides fine i guess but it turns to one side so bad.

so, too long, but is there any way to get those fucking pivot cups out? i guess my second concern is that i do finally get it out and the new one i have doesn't fit in right. but i really don't want to buy new trucks. what's the word?

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »
why not just buy new trucks?
but i guess if your not feeling that.. you can get new ace baseplates from this site.

http://www.milehighskates.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=52fda7d04d7615e9c24083185b28216b

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 04:45:25 PM »
fuck new trucks.

thanks for that link tho, got a pair of replacement baseplates for ~ 7.50$ shipped

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 05:49:35 PM »
but i guess if your not feeling that.. you can get new ace baseplates from this site.

http://www.milehighskates.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=52fda7d04d7615e9c24083185b28216b

What a weird website!  You can buy baseplates for Ace and Indy's for $1.95 a piece!

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 11:19:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What a weird website!  You can buy baseplates for Ace and Indy's for $1.95 a piece!
Weird, but awesome, definitely.

My only problem with Aces have been that the bushings have been deteriorating pretty much from the get-go. Need to put some Bones in there.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 11:35:04 PM »
I found out that Ace makes a size 66 and I am excited to try them on one of those 8.75 anti heros. 

Has anybody found that the axles are bending on their ace trucks?

wheee!

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 12:55:35 AM »
I found out that Ace makes a size 66 and I am excited to try them on one of those 8.75 anti heros. 

66's are going to be a bit on the wide side for 8.75 I would think mate.  I'd go for the 55's

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 03:03:15 AM »

Mine have looked a bit bent since the day I got them, and even in that picture above they all look a little bent. Because of that I'm always looking if my axles have been bent more, but in reality they've just always looked the same.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 03:36:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

66's are going to be a bit on the wide side for 8.75 I would think mate.  I'd go for the 55's

Its all preference.  Most people ride an Indy 149 on an 8.5 but I feel like the 169 works better.  They are just a tiny bit wider than the board.  I think a Ace size 66 would fit the same way on an 8.75.  They have the 55 listed as fitting 8.75 to 9.0 on their website but I think a wider truck would be better for that size of board.

wheee!

codeine

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 03:29:43 PM »
I rode a pair of 33s for nearly a year even. I was so hyped when I'd grinded away the number on the hangar!

But like the first post, the pivot cup was mangled half way through the life of the trucks. I replaced the bottom one and originally replaced the bushings with a Red Indy bushing and a bottom white bones bushing. (not sure of the durameter on either of those).

They rode like a dream. I preferred the turning "flop" over the Indy radius.

But since there were no immediate shops in the area that stocked them and I wanted to skate. I've been back on Thunder Highs 2nd set in a row since the Ace.

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 04:21:49 PM »
i rode a pair of 22s and 33s, and they're pretty good trucks.  they grind great right and they turn great, probably better than most of the trucks i've ridden.  its unfortunate that they just come with terrible bushings, but i threw in some orange indy stock bushings and they were good to go.

the axle is a optical illusion, i don't know?  its definitely looks bent but it doesn't ride like its bent, i can't explain it?, but it really wasn't an issue for me, its not like i'm riding around and staring at my trucks. 

you can remove the pivot cup.  its a bitch sometimes but its not that difficult if you know what you're doing.  it works with the standard pivot cup as well.  my cups got trashed so i threw on some old venture pivot cups and they worked just fine.     

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 11:01:48 PM »
aces are at their best with bones bushing. i don't like the stock ones.
i read somewhere else on slap that the bent axle look is from the design. there is more "metal" in the middle of the hanger then edges. so it looks bent. and if you place it on a flat surface.. they will rock. but the axle is indeed straight. if your axle was bent. wouldn't your wheels reverse cone? (sorta)

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 12:45:47 AM »
what did you use to pull the pivot cups out? i tried a bunch of things, even tried to set them on fire and burn them out

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • Miglios
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 01:48:05 AM »
facing trucks?  never heard of this, some kind of core level i havent achieved yet?

http://www.milehighskates.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1262&osCsid=52fda7d04d7615e9c24083185b28216b

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 03:00:27 AM »
facing trucks?  never heard of this, some kind of core level i havent achieved yet?

http://www.milehighskates.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1262&osCsid=52fda7d04d7615e9c24083185b28216b
Or you could just put a washer in there...

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 01:58:08 PM »
what did you use to pull the pivot cups out? i tried a bunch of things, even tried to set them on fire and burn them out

needle nose pliers. 
i actually pulled one out the other day and inserted a venture one just because of this thread. 

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 03:25:17 PM »

I have been riding the same set of 55's for about 2 and half years, my front one is ground to the axle in a couple of spots and has not bent. I ride 8.75's, and 55's fit perfect, but I think the 66 would work fine as well.

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 04:08:11 AM »
I haven't had any problems with the pivot cups on my Ace's. I put some lithium grease in them when I swapped the bushings for Bones ones to get rid of any squeaking. Now they are just delightful.

Archers of Chaka

• Rep: -10
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »
From my experiences pivot cups have always been a pain to get out with any kind of truck. Had a set of indys once where for one of the trucks the pivot cup would just slide right out, a little too easily actually, which was pretty cool, reduced the hassle. I think i may have gotten one that they accidentally made a bit smaller cause it would go in and come out super easily.

Whenever I get new trucks I always like to keep as much of the old shit as possible, including the pivot cup. Right now I'm skating a set of indys with new baseplates mixed with my old bushings and hangers. the axle for one of the hangers is so worn out that the nut wont even catch on to the threads, it just screws straight through without catching on to the point where you can tighten them all the way down with your fingers, so i superglued that shit on there. The hanger is still skateable so why waste it?

Dbk

• Rep: 3
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 03:32:20 AM »
To remove a pivot that you don't intend to re-use, try a sharp awl to pry it out. Or an awl with a pair of needlenose pliers/vicegrips as someone else suggested.

Whatever you do, do not light them on fire. The gas released from burning urethane is incredibly toxic and not something you want to  mess with.

Some trucks used to have a small hole in the baseplate under the pivot cup so you could simply poke out the pivot from the bottom. Might not be a half-bad idea to drill one yourself if you like using your baseplates for as long as possible and transferring them over.

vince the stud

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -202
  • 4Q
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2010, 03:48:18 PM »
i am dying to try a pair...
tricks are for kids , style is forever

troy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 03:46:03 AM »
i want to get trucks for an 8.25 should i go with the 44s or 33s. I currently skate a 8.125 and want to move up to start shredding more tranny and shit. let me know what you guys think. thanks

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 06:04:53 AM »
i want to get trucks for an 8.25 should i go with the 44s or 33s. I currently skate a 8.125 and want to move up to start shredding more tranny and shit. let me know what you guys think. thanks
44s. I have them on an 8.3

SkateViolence

• Rep: 9
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 08:03:01 AM »
44's for sure. I have them on my 8.25 and it is perfect.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 09:23:55 AM »
I have a set of Ace 44s that are waiting for my Thunders to shit the bed so that they can see some action.  After plenty of experimentation with different bushings and durometers I have settled on Bones Hard Bushings and no washers (top or bottom) for Indys, Thunders and Theeves and I run them fairly loose.

Are Ace's better with Bones Bushings and no washers also or do people just stick with the stock bushing setup?

ShihtzuEnthusiast

• Rep: 5
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »
If y'all are having trouble taking out pivot cups, I found that using a staple remover works great.

Just push the metal teeth into the side of the old pivot cup and scoop it out.

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 02:20:27 AM »
I have a set of Ace 44s that are waiting for my Thunders to shit the bed so that they can see some action.  After plenty of experimentation with different bushings and durometers I have settled on Bones Hard Bushings and no washers (top or bottom) for Indys, Thunders and Theeves and I run them fairly loose.

Are Ace's better with Bones Bushings and no washers also or do people just stick with the stock bushing setup?

They are definitely better with Bones. The stock ones aren't too bad though, I've definitely skated worse bushings. I am currently skating 44s with hards and they're perfect. I still use the top washer, more out of habit than anything else though.

troy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 02:26:52 AM »
thanks for answering my question ill definitely be coping a pair of 44s. With aces ive had before i rocked bones medium with one of the washers. They are a little stiff at first but become awesome after a week of shredding.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 10:20:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They are definitely better with Bones. The stock ones aren't too bad though, I've definitely skated worse bushings. I am currently skating 44s with hards and they're perfect. I still use the top washer, more out of habit than anything else though.

Thanks.  I'll give it a shot with the stock bushings but have some Bones Hards ready for the eventual swap.  As far as running the top washer, I just got used to taking it off because, in my experience, Bones won't fit in Thunders with the top washer and I haven't ever had problems without it.

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 03:33:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks.  I'll give it a shot with the stock bushings but have some Bones Hards ready for the eventual swap.  As far as running the top washer, I just got used to taking it off because, in my experience, Bones won't fit in Thunders with the top washer and I haven't ever had problems without it.

No worries, I had a similar issue with Thunders but with Aces they fit no problem with the washer. Coincidentally I also switched from a set of Thunders to Aces and now I wouldn't go back, enjoy that shit man.