Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 745464 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #1050 on: October 03, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »
Expand Quote
csx looks like what i imagine ace would look like if they continue beefing up the hanger. i think i'll get the 6.5s. is there anything to look out for with theeves? i've heard they use fake bones bushings, are they any good? also, is TIAX stronger than standard ones? if theeve is everything slap says it is, then i might be a lifer.
[close]
Fake bones are pretty good, in between medium and hard if you ask me. TiAX are super light, probably stronger too

I know I bring it up often, but the OG design of Theeve was so ACE-like that the Theeve V1 prototypes ran on ACE baseplates; they were also designed around the idea of specifically building a better Indy at the [stage 9 <-> 10] time: one that was lighter, didn't get axle slip, and actually turned like older Indy models instead of washerbinding like the Stage Xs did - hence the use of ACE plates and similar hanger design and probably geo. It's no coincidence the 'mark IIs' and the stage 10.5s came to market when they did, followed quickly by the Stage XI (and the Ti varient).

Also, the TiHanger model still uses the same look as the old V1 design.

Old hanger design:

TiHanger

You can see the Stage IVs (4th from the right) sporting the same hanger design:

Apparently the old hanger design (much like ACEs) wasn't strong enough [without being milled in Ti] to withstand bending...I can't recall any of the old Indy stages that ran the similar design being prone to bending and none of my og theeve bent or had bushing blowout; the V1 tikings were so fucking awesome looking and light AF.

I'll second the fake bones being good, even if they are too hard for my taste (I like soft floopyflop bushings); the stock theeve bushings feel no different in rebound compared to bones once you break them in. Again, they are noticeably harder than Bones mediums (Theeve labels them as 'hard'); stock the bottoms are also taller than bones but flatten out to the 'new' bones bottom height.

The Tiax is the sweet spot now that the tiking doesn't come with a ti pin (that ti pin was so fucking light, made a massive difference in the overall weight of the truck).

Again, people hate on Theeve but they are an [arguably superior] Indy 'knockoff' with no street cred (when Raybourn left for the Birdhouse Indy/bones train they really fell flat) or team that's in the public eye no matter how good Hoffart or Salabanzi are.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:25:26 AM by Xen »

I AM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
« Reply #1051 on: October 03, 2018, 01:07:18 PM »
o shit. i remember when raybourn rode for slave, i path, theeve, and landshark. in fact, i remember when he rode for 1031. he was so rad. i idolized him and nolan johnson. i kinda miss old ben.

so do theeve have the same wheelbase shortening design as ace? as in, if i was riding a 15in wheelbase board with aces, would theeves feel the same? are there any weaknesses specific to theeves?  i'm also a bit confused at the oval yoke. wouldn't that limit the turn? i don't quite understand how it would work without the kingpin grinding against it, making it more of a circle.

also, i think lee ralph rides for them now. i think he rode for ace?
https://www.theevetrucks.com/catalogue
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:14:19 PM by I AM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1052 on: October 03, 2018, 01:36:40 PM »
o shit. i remember when raybourn rode for slave, i path, theeve, and landshark. in fact, i remember when he rode for 1031. he was so rad. i idolized him and nolan johnson. i kinda miss old ben.

so do theeve have the same wheelbase shortening design as ace? as in, if i was riding a 15in wheelbase board with aces, would theeves feel the same? are there any weaknesses specific to theeves?  i'm also a bit confused at the oval yoke. wouldn't that limit the turn? i don't quite understand how it would work without the kingpin grinding against it, making it more of a circle.

also, i think lee ralph rides for them now. i think he rode for ace?
https://www.theevetrucks.com/catalogue

The Old Ben was great but you gotta get paid right?

Yes, Theeve, treat wheelbases like ACE and Indy.

I've never had a quality control issues ever, BMC had loose kingpins happen but he's the only case I've heard with that.

The oval yoke doesn't limit the turn at all, but helps prevent wheel bite (trucks inward instead of downward when you really lean into the turn); Oddly, Gullwing also has an oval yoke but horizontal. 

If you ride loose you will love the lesser wheelbite, they are also very stable on center; they are so neutral feeling compared to say the twitchy thunders, turny aces or slower indy feels that some might be unimpressed with them at first.

Rad they gave L.Ralph a truck!

The info you seek is also here:

http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=71489.0
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:06:17 PM by Xen »

kentrock

• Rep: -199
« Reply #1053 on: October 03, 2018, 02:54:01 PM »

u convinced us that you have a good memory. nobody cares.

I AM

« Reply #1054 on: October 03, 2018, 05:31:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

u convinced us that you have a good memory. nobody cares.
i have good memory…about skaters i like. that's the important part. also you care enough to comment on it.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1055 on: October 03, 2018, 05:41:53 PM »
How well do Krux kingpins fit into Ace? Do you have to remove them off the board to adjust?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1056 on: October 04, 2018, 09:23:04 AM »
How well do Krux kingpins fit into Ace? Do you have to remove them off the board to adjust?

They fit swimmingly, depending on how tight or loose you ride.

Riding loose, I had to make sure that I shaved the top bushing down (no matter that brand) in order to catch the nylon portion of the kingpin nut; remember these were made for the krux downlows so they are shorter than your standard kingpin.

Diocletian

« Reply #1057 on: October 04, 2018, 05:31:10 PM »
Got me some of those aftermarket Ace pivot cups in the mail yesterday. Solved my squeaks instantly after throwing them in. I’m on the “Stage 2” Ace’s so they don’t come stock with the much improved pivot cups. They’d probably fit Indy’s fine, too. That is all.

hey pickle

« Reply #1058 on: October 05, 2018, 12:33:51 AM »
alex olson of indy on ace?

source: olsonstuff instagram story

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1059 on: October 05, 2018, 01:37:37 AM »

took a break from vegan_alkaline_news then I see?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

hey pickle

« Reply #1060 on: October 05, 2018, 06:09:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
took a break from vegan_alkaline_news then I see?

what on aboot lad

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1061 on: October 10, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
So, I’m planning to switch my indy 149’s to ace 44’s. I’ve been riding 14” wheelbase lately, and I’ve heard that aces shrunk down wb so should I get a board with longer wb with them to get similar ride as with indys?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1062 on: October 10, 2018, 11:52:40 AM »
I thought they extended it? I didn't switch when I got Ace's. To me they feel pretty similar to Indys except for the very bottom of the turn

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1063 on: October 10, 2018, 01:39:55 PM »
So, I’m planning to switch my indy 149’s to ace 44’s. I’ve been riding 14” wheelbase lately, and I’ve heard that aces shrunk down wb so should I get a board with longer wb with them to get similar ride as with indys?

ace and indy will have relatively the same WB.  thunder and venture will extend it

I AM

« Reply #1064 on: October 10, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »
when you put indys and ace side to side, the axle is basically in the same spot, relative to the length of the base plate. the difference is, ace have the mounting holes more outwards (towards the nose) which makes the whole truck go inwards. this not only makes the wheelbase shorter, but also makes the space between the axle and the kick up on the tail longer, making the tail feel lighter. the difference is only a few millimetres, but in skateboarding, especially trucks, that makes a huge difference.

i would recommend getting a longer wb anyway because ace are a bit more unstable than indy. if you want the tail to feel the same as indy, get a board with a smaller space between where the tail kicks up and the mounting holes.

Daniel

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1065 on: October 10, 2018, 11:12:26 PM »
^^ Aces on the DLX 8.06 14.38 and 14.4 WB shapes have a perfect light, snappy, and controlled pop like Indy. The daan full shape 8.06 x 31.91 14.4wb deck was perfect with aces.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1066 on: October 11, 2018, 09:38:19 AM »
^^ Aces on the DLX 8.06 14.38 and 14.4 WB shapes have a perfect light, snappy, and controlled pop like Indy. The daan full shape 8.06 x 31.91 14.4wb deck was perfect with aces.

Yup. The ACE/Indy/Theeve 'pull in' work amazing on 14.3x-14.4. This is why I have such an issue with board dimensions. That wheelbase is made by so few companies.

Daniel

« Reply #1067 on: October 12, 2018, 02:31:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup. The ACE/Indy/Theeve 'pull in' work amazing on 14.3x-14.4. This is why I have such an issue with board dimensions. That wheelbase is made by so few companies.

917s with the 14.5 WB looks fun. Haven't skated anything higher than a 14.4 on aces, kind of curious. On an workshop 8.0 with 14.25 and it's alright....

Daniel

« Reply #1068 on: November 03, 2018, 07:38:52 PM »
both latest version 44s and 33s axels bent.
i'm back on a set of indys again, kinda over the quality issue man!

Tally810

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1069 on: November 03, 2018, 07:51:07 PM »
both latest version 44s and 33s axels bent.
i'm back on a set of indys again, kinda over the quality issue man!
Bought my daughter a pair of the "purple coping eaters" 44 and one of the axles is so bent I can barely get a bearing on it... Kinda disappointing

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1070 on: November 04, 2018, 03:48:30 PM »
That's fucked up. I think they have a great design but I'd wager they've never really gotten a handle on their overseas QC. Maybe they've been produced by more than one factory or maybe their suppliers just don't give a shit (which, with some knowledge of Chinese manufacturing, seems completely plausible).

Unless it has something to do with the hangar design (doubtful) maybe they should source their axles here?

Daniel

« Reply #1071 on: November 04, 2018, 05:14:01 PM »
^^ i was skating gaps one session with the 44s, that probably did the bending.
the 33s have a smaller hanger support/webbing so that must have compromised the strength.
terrific design, horrible qc.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1072 on: November 04, 2018, 07:05:26 PM »
I measured Ace 44 and Indy 149 on the same FA 8.5 w/ 14.25WB- Indy Stage XI are .25in longer WB, actually slightly over.

Not Local

« Reply #1073 on: December 11, 2018, 08:05:59 PM »
Something tells me there might be an Ace truck between 44s and 55s on the horizon.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1074 on: December 12, 2018, 09:45:42 AM »
Something tells me there might be an Ace truck between 44s and 55s on the horizon.

You mean a true 8.5?

Knowing Ace it will be more like an 8.675"

Not Local

« Reply #1075 on: December 12, 2018, 10:16:14 AM »
Something half way between a 44 and 55 makes the most sense. So 8 5/8" wouldn't be far off the mark.

44s are 146mm, only 3mm off 149 so it seems an 8.5"  wouldn't really be worth it.

Anyway, if its 8 5/8" or even 8 3/4" I've got my truck for life. 155mm hanger  or thereabouts...

Dustwardprez

« Reply #1076 on: December 26, 2018, 07:30:43 PM »
Bummed ☹️ out. Been on my ace 44 like 1 year. Axle slipped. I have not had this issue since the early 90s. I don’t enjoy tapping my truck on the ground like I’m in jr high again. Ultra frickin bummed ☹️

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #1077 on: December 26, 2018, 07:49:36 PM »
You had them a year...

CoMpLeMenTs4Uonlysometime

« Reply #1078 on: December 26, 2018, 09:31:29 PM »
One year of use is all I can ask for in a truck. Poor trucks they have served you loyally and well beyond the call of duty only to be hammered against the ground and shit talked on slap :( make them a tea and give them a crossword puzzle they earned their pension

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1079 on: December 26, 2018, 11:28:17 PM »
^^^ you heard the man. What the fuck more do you want from a year of skated trucks. These things aren’t bulletproof