Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738974 times)

BRO

Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »

For me, it's just trial and error with getting the bushings right.  What everyone has said about ACE being inherently loose and sharp turning is true.  I like them and still have 2 sets.  I'm skating Indys right now with a mix of Bones soft/med.  I usually just take them to our cheese grater to make them a little shorter, and ultimately looser/quicker responding.

rideflannel

« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2014, 04:42:43 PM »
Expand Quote
I switched from Indy to Ace a few years ago and have ridden both the 44's and the 55's. They are sick, but I am tired of replacing the pivot cups. Right now, my front truck is an Ace hanger on an Indy base plate because the Ace base plate warped around the pivot cup hole and broke.

I'm going to finish riding the 55's until I grind through the axle and then switch back to Indys. Can't wait to get a pair of 169's.
[close]

That's a bummer, I really wish they would fix the pivot cup issues, have you used the after market replacement?

Naw, I haven't tried any other replacements. I just have to dig out pivot cups from old base plates I have laying around or baseplates sitting around the local shop. Any recommendations?

vegan*shawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2014, 05:04:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I switched from Indy to Ace a few years ago and have ridden both the 44's and the 55's. They are sick, but I am tired of replacing the pivot cups. Right now, my front truck is an Ace hanger on an Indy base plate because the Ace base plate warped around the pivot cup hole and broke.

I'm going to finish riding the 55's until I grind through the axle and then switch back to Indys. Can't wait to get a pair of 169's.
[close]

That's a bummer, I really wish they would fix the pivot cup issues, have you used the after market replacement?
[close]

Naw, I haven't tried any other replacements. I just have to dig out pivot cups from old base plates I have laying around or baseplates sitting around the local shop. Any recommendations?

Ace makes a replacement pivot cup that is really good, have not blown one out. Also I think shorties makes one.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2014, 11:11:50 PM »
And if you want something between an Indy and ace....and don't really care what people think.....Theeve all the way....

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2014, 02:12:36 AM »
And if you want something between an Indy and ace....and don't really care what people think.....Theeve all the way....

Yes! Thats all i skate now! Ill probably get some indys next though....maybe.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2014, 03:27:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ace makes a replacement pivot cup that is really good, have not blown one out. Also I think shorties makes one.

And Khiro I think, I have a set for when my pivot cups are completely shredded, theres still some rubber in there.

Never heard of the warping of the actual hole.. If you're down for ace, get the magnesium baseplates and aftermarket pivot cups and you're set forever, just switch out the hanger when its grinded down.

phatwheelz

« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2014, 04:38:32 PM »
Fuck man the axle one of my 44's slipped so badly I couldn't even keep my axle nut on with enough room for my wheel to spin.  I've only been skating these for like 3 months and my skating is completely low impact.  It was only on my back truck so I'm hoping it was just a defect but I'm really bummed.  I just emailed ace so we'll see what happens... I really liked these trucks.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2014, 05:55:57 PM »
Fuck man the axle one of my 44's slipped so badly I couldn't even keep my axle nut on with enough room for my wheel to spin.  I've only been skating these for like 3 months and my skating is completely low impact.  It was only on my back truck so I'm hoping it was just a defect but I'm really bummed.  I just emailed ace so we'll see what happens... I really liked these trucks.

it happened to a set i got this past february on the 33's. good truck but the axle slip sucked!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2014, 11:49:25 PM »
Get a paper route and buy the tih's when the new ones come out...

phatwheelz

« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2014, 02:20:49 AM »
lol I work, money's not an issue.  But what are you talking about, are they doing a titanium truck? I don't really like lighter trucks honestly and aces are already pretty light to begin with.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2014, 10:49:55 AM »
Hanger is all one piece....so no axel slip ever.....they turn somewhere between an ace and an Indy.....they grind a bit different....good on concrete, a bit weird on granite....and I cannot claim to say they are durable because I skate curbs and I'm 135 lbs....so I've done little to test this.....the titanium does definitely take a lot longer to grind down.....

In theory...they are the last set of trucks for me....

phatwheelz

« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »
Does anyone have an email address where I can get in touch with someone at ace?  I emailed ace customer service and they told me to contact the original retailer since I didn't buy it directly from diamond supply. I emailed the retailer and they told me no returns after 45 days. I'm fairly certain I've heard people on here talk about getting their bent or broken aces replaced so what gives? No guarantee after 45 days? that's horse shit

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2014, 03:06:11 PM »
Does anyone have an email address where I can get in touch with someone at ace?  I emailed ace customer service and they told me to contact the original retailer since I didn't buy it directly from diamond supply. I emailed the retailer and they told me no returns after 45 days. I'm fairly certain I've heard people on here talk about getting their bent or broken aces replaced so what gives? No guarantee after 45 days? that's horse shit

Try writing Joey directly

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #133 on: May 29, 2014, 04:34:20 PM »
indy would have replaced them

phatwheelz

« Reply #134 on: May 29, 2014, 07:50:07 PM »
ugh I know

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »
I love these trucks so damn much. They flop side to side instead of a middle ground. Mine only go full left, full right, or a delicate balance in center, I like that. Both for grinding and simply riding. Sitting on a crooked grind with these trucks is a magical sensation.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2014, 01:38:09 PM »
Question about these trucks. When you do nose/tail slides do the wheels contact with the ledge first, or the baseplate? When I had thunders the wheels always touched and it made longer noseslides a bitch at times, Indy's don't have this problem so I'm riding them right now but I really wanna try these out/.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2014, 10:16:48 AM »
If your wheels keep catching on tail/noseslides it aint your trucks that are the problem

Cold Pizza

« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »
If your wheels keep catching on tail/noseslides it aint your trucks that are the problem

he's actually spot on.  match a thunder and independent (or almost any other truck company) at the baseplate holes and compare how much meat of the baseplate sticks out where you'd catch on a noseslide/tailslide.  your wheels rub a lot less on noseslide/tailslides if you got some baseplate to grind on first.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2014, 01:28:58 PM »
I am running a pair of Aces that are really solid. I just had to replace the bushings with my old Indy ones and they work great. No complaints.

Niko Katavainen

• Rep: -4
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2014, 02:00:38 PM »
I ride 8.5 to 8.75, been on indys for pretty long now and want to try Aces should I get 44s or 55s? Do the 55s stick out alot on a 8.5?

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »
I'm on an 8.5 w 44s and double inside washers right now. Feels pretty good, but I've been riding between 8.25 and 8.5s. If I were you might go with 55s since your a bracket up in terms of deck size range. But it's all personal preference at days end. I just wish I could get the pivot cups to shut up. Tried all the suggestions offered in this thread but still loud as fuck. Might just get some after markets

Niko Katavainen

• Rep: -4
« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2014, 12:54:24 PM »
I'm on an 8.5 w 44s and double inside washers right now. Feels pretty good, but I've been riding between 8.25 and 8.5s. If I were you might go with 55s since your a bracket up in terms of deck size range. But it's all personal preference at days end. I just wish I could get the pivot cups to shut up. Tried all the suggestions offered in this thread but still loud as fuck. Might just get some after markets

Got the 55s, they dont stick out almost at all on an 8.5

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2014, 07:10:35 PM »
Just bought the 33's for my 8.125! I'm coming from thunder 147 lows, and they are my first trucks ever that arent lows. I feel like i'm riding a skyscrapper, but i love the sharp turning they have (and no more godawful wheelbite)! I'm just hoping they dont fuck my flip tricks too much and i have yet to grind in them...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

ACE TRUCKS

• Rep: 0
« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »
ACE WARRANTY info; [email protected]

You will be asked to send your trucks in along with a letter that has your return shipping address.

ACE c/o Warranty
1710 Cordova Street
Los Angeles, CA 90007

Easy as that.

*no walk-ins.

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT

-ACE-

Prince Nelson

« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2014, 12:13:33 PM »
Recently started skating a set of 44's and they are fantastic. No complaints here, they turn much better than indys.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »
It's crazy to me so many people back Ace even though it seems they have a problem with pivot cup blow outs, bushings, and axels. I feel like there is so much after-market care that's unnecessary with Indy's and Thunders.

I'm riding 149 Indy's and they feel great from switching from Thunder 149's. The extra height from the thunders made wheel bite not so bad. And I can get them plenty loose with no problems.

Ace: Made in China. All I'm saying.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2014, 12:20:47 PM »
I had to replace the pivot cups on my aces. But since that's not really a big deal if doesn't matter to me. I've had the same aces for two years and I haven't had axel slippage or anything like with indys.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2014, 12:47:07 PM »
It's crazy to me so many people back Ace even though it seems they have a problem with pivot cup blow outs, bushings, and axels. I feel like there is so much after-market care that's unnecessary with Indy's and Thunders.

I'm riding 149 Indy's and they feel great from switching from Thunder 149's. The extra height from the thunders made wheel bite not so bad. And I can get them plenty loose with no problems.

I've had pivot cups get fucked up on thunders and indys in the past as well. It just happens. That's the only issue I've ever had with Aces. And I just buy some khiros and throw them into each new set and I'm set for the life of the trucks.

formeitscrazylike

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2014, 06:17:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I've had pivot cups get fucked up on thunders and indys in the past as well. It just happens. That's the only issue I've ever had with Aces. And I just buy some khiros and throw them into each new set and I'm set for the life of the trucks.

After some google research it says they come in hard and soft, which did you get, why, and how are they?

And while Aces do need quite a bit of after-market lovin, once you replace the bushings, the pivot cups only need to be replaced every 8-12 months and they're fucking awesome. I'll be skating Aces til the end of time if possible. The absolute worst shit I ever lost was my broken in Aces, I'll never get another crooked-grind groove like that again  :-\

EDIT:
Holy shit just realized that I started this thread, 0 recollection of that
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:23:33 PM by formeitscrazylike »