Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738944 times)

sleepypancakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2014, 06:34:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's crazy to me so many people back Ace even though it seems they have a problem with pivot cup blow outs, bushings, and axels. I feel like there is so much after-market care that's unnecessary with Indy's and Thunders.

I'm riding 149 Indy's and they feel great from switching from Thunder 149's. The extra height from the thunders made wheel bite not so bad. And I can get them plenty loose with no problems.

Ace: Made in China. All I'm saying.
[close]
I've had pivot cups get fucked up on thunders and indys in the past as well. It just happens. That's the only issue I've ever had with Aces. And I just buy some khiros and throw them into each new set and I'm set for the life of the trucks.
[close]

After some google research it says they come in hard and soft, which did you get, why, and how are they?

And while Aces do need quite a bit of after-market lovin, once you replace the bushings, the pivot cups only need to be replaced every 8-12 months and they're fucking awesome. I'll be skating Aces til the end of time if possible. The absolute worst shit I ever lost was my broken in Aces, I'll never get another crooked-grind groove like that again  :-\

EDIT:
Holy shit just realized that I started this thread, 0 recollection of that
I've always had the soft ones, they just feel at least a little bit more natural than the hard ones. Less break in time I guess, I'm sure I sacrifice some durability with the differences in rubber, but overall I'm ok with it. Pivot cups are cheap anyway

Prince Nelson

« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2014, 07:38:54 PM »
It's crazy to me so many people back Ace even though it seems they have a problem with pivot cup blow outs, bushings, and axels. I feel like there is so much after-market care that's unnecessary with Indy's and Thunders.

I'm riding 149 Indy's and they feel great from switching from Thunder 149's. The extra height from the thunders made wheel bite not so bad. And I can get them plenty loose with no problems.

I've been on 149 Indy's for a number of years now. I have never had a set that didn't quickly get pivot cup blowouts or have a kingpin break. When I get them as loose as I like, the kingpin nut falls off by itself. So I figured I'd try out Aces, due to the good reviews from people on here (also I'm keen to try out anything Matt Rodriguez is backing). So far I'm really stoked on them. They turn very easily, I haven't had to tighten either kingpin, and they're a little more lightweight. Also with more metal in the center of the hangar, they'll last a little longer if all goes well. I have the magnesium baseplates for backup in case something does go wrong with them or if they just get worn out. I couldn't give half of a shit if they're made in China, it's just aluminum.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2014, 12:28:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've been on 149 Indy's for a number of years now. I have never had a set that didn't quickly get pivot cup blowouts or have a kingpin break. When I get them as loose as I like, the kingpin nut falls off by itself. So I figured I'd try out Aces, due to the good reviews from people on here (also I'm keen to try out anything Matt Rodriguez is backing). So far I'm really stoked on them. They turn very easily, I haven't had to tighten either kingpin, and they're a little more lightweight. Also with more metal in the center of the hangar, they'll last a little longer if all goes well. I have the magnesium baseplates for backup in case something does go wrong with them or if they just get worn out. I couldn't give half of a shit if they're made in China, it's just aluminum.
I've had pretty much the same experience. I'm now on my second pair of 44s and I've never had a problem. I will echo that the stock bushings are crap. Regardless I always swap them out for bones hard so it doesn't really matter.

I haven't personally used the magnesium baseplates but my friend is using them now and they really make your trucks lighter.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »
the mag plates are nice but very expensive, almost the cost of another pair of trucks!!

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2014, 12:08:26 PM »
After skating some 44s for almost 6 months I'm pretty ready to go back to Indys. In my opinion, Aces are really fun to skate around, but when it comes down to doing tricks, it makes them a lot harder. It's because the turning is almost too good. Don't get me wrong, I love loose trucks, when I skate Indys my trucks are barely hanging on, but Aces seem to turn all the way to wheelbite just from the slightest movement. I set up Indys on another setup that I have, and they feel a lot better. I can see why people like Aces though, and I will definitely end up setting them up on a cruiser board in the future. Just my two cents.
damn those yarys bout those squats

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2014, 05:36:27 PM »
After skating some 44s for almost 6 months I'm pretty ready to go back to Indys. In my opinion, Aces are really fun to skate around, but when it comes down to doing tricks, it makes them a lot harder. It's because the turning is almost too good. Don't get me wrong, I love loose trucks, when I skate Indys my trucks are barely hanging on, but Aces seem to turn all the way to wheelbite just from the slightest movement. I set up Indys on another setup that I have, and they feel a lot better. I can see why people like Aces though, and I will definitely end up setting them up on a cruiser board in the future. Just my two cents.

I love to hate them, so much that it's forced my to buy multiple sets of trucks! In pools/bowls they are untouchable. I'm not good trick-wise in bowls (I'm afraid of heights, seriously it totally fucks with me) so I just carve, grind and go for speed and no other truck allows me to carve like ACE; I also use them on my cruiser setups with soft bushings.

All that being said, I totally agree with you in regards to tricks on street, I ride loose and ACE+Loose are squirrly, takes getting used to. I just sold off my thunder 149IIs and my theeves, sticking just ACEs from now on.

I also get Khiro softs pivot cups for ANY truck as stock cups all suck most just don't know it. Khiro softs are amazing.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 06:24:47 PM by Xen »

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm not gonna lie i've wanted to make the switch for a little bit now, but i think i like the heaviness of my board with indy's. It feels sturdy, while i feel like aces will just make me squirrely. I suppose im just not on that loose-ness level that some of you are at with your trucks, and i feel like i ride my indy's on the looser side without the bolt falling off.  Also, i just started getting this lovely crook indent recently, nothing better then that deep crook groove!

[close]
I've had pretty much the same experience. I'm now on my second pair of 44s and I've never had a problem. I will echo that the stock bushings are crap. Regardless I always swap them out for bones hard so it doesn't really matter.

I haven't personally used the magnesium baseplates but my friend is using them now and they really make your trucks lighter.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2014, 06:26:10 PM »
Another benefit to ACE is they are light without the need for hollow anything! They've a very svelt design.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2014, 09:59:50 PM »
Would be really surprised if Ace is still around 5 years from today. How can you compete with Indy? OH YEAH ENFORCE THE GIMMICH THAT LIGHT TRUCKS ARE SOMEHOW BETTER.

There is no way everyday skaters can trust those twigs they call skate trucks, lookin like you're grinding down to the axle after a week!

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2014, 02:29:42 AM »
Would be really surprised if Ace is still around 5 years from today. How can you compete with Indy? OH YEAH ENFORCE THE GIMMICH THAT LIGHT TRUCKS ARE SOMEHOW BETTER.

There is no way everyday skaters can trust those twigs they call skate trucks, lookin like you're grinding down to the axle after a week!

well Ace isn't new.. older then theeve

but does anyone own a scale?

ace 44s are actually a bit heavier then indy 149s..
not much. but they are not lighter unless you have the mag plates.

howdoiinto

• Rep: 1
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2014, 07:10:41 AM »
So would you guys say Aces are any good for street skating? I love loose trucks but I also skate a lot of flatground and rails.

Prince Nelson

« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2014, 08:00:11 AM »
So would you guys say Aces are any good for street skating? I love loose trucks but I also skate a lot of flatground and rails.

Yes. I don't skate transition and I love them. If you're still skeptical, just watch this:

adidas Skateboarding Raul Navarro

You can see that he's skating them in a lot of clips.

howdoiinto

• Rep: 1
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2014, 09:29:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes. I don't skate transition and I love them. If you're still skeptical, just watch this:

adidas Skateboarding Raul Navarro

You can see that he's skating them in a lot of clips.

Damn, he rips! I'll definitely pick up some 44s for my next setup.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2014, 09:59:37 AM »

NHS shipped all of their manufacturing to China, currently the hanger and baseplates on normal Indy are made in the USA, but axle, kingpins, nuts, bushings etc.. are all Chinese. I wouldn't be shocked if that all moves to China soon. Diamond (Ace owners) make all their clothing in the USA, so I guess it balances out both companies have some stuff made in the both countries, though Diamond makes their money mostly from clothes made in the USA.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2014, 10:16:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ace are lighter except for the hollow Indy's Please show me a photo of Indy's (not hollow) and Ace on a scale.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_nW5vjvV3g

This dude's killing on ACEs for street (sorry wrong link before).

With the Stage 11, Indy finally caught up to ACE (and everyone else for that matter), lowered kingpin to prevent hangups, centered kinpin in the yoke (to prevent washer binding), weight reduction, blach blah. ACE was doing this 5+ years ago. Aces also have the precision/machined hangers so no need for an inside speed washer and extra meat on the hanger. Now that they don't bend anymore, no reason to avoid them unless you are a 'ride the best fuck the rest' zealot ;)

Go ride your heavy indy's if you like'em, problem solved, for those that give a shit, stock ACE 44s are about 30grams lighter than stock indy 149s, a better comparison would be the ACE 55s as they are wider.

The reinforcement is UNDER the hanger, around the yoke/pivot on ACEs - indy's/theeve are beefy as fuck compared to ACE or Thunder on the back of the hanger. they all have the same diameter of material around the axles for the most part (Ace with a bit more in the middle). Perhaps if you have ridden a pair or compared them in person, on your own board, you'd know....I'm guessing you haven't..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 10:42:20 AM by Xen »

eSHkidd

• Rep: -2
« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2014, 10:28:51 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-liv2HaONxw

This dude's killing on ACEs for street.

Go ride your indy's if you like'em, problem solved!

What are you talking about, the 6-7 times i was able to see his trucks they were literally Indy every time.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2014, 10:42:47 AM »
Expand Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-liv2HaONxw

This dude's killing on ACEs for street.

Go ride your indy's if you like'em, problem solved!
[close]

What are you talking about, the 6-7 times i was able to see his trucks they were literally Indy every time.

Easy there brosef, I linked to the wrong video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_nW5vjvV3g

dillanharp

« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2014, 10:55:59 AM »
I've never ridden aces, the bending put me off. People swear by them though, I've just got too many Indy shirts to switch...

And I know that was a dig at the "ride the best..." But come on, these #loosetruckssavelives dudes are just as bad. Rides Ace, hates diamond.

Prince Nelson

« Reply #169 on: August 10, 2014, 11:07:52 AM »
upon closer examination, mine are bent. both trucks. I've probably skated them for one month. Not sure why i didn't notice until now, probably because the wheels are reverse coned and have flattened out to how the trucks are bent. sending them back asap.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #170 on: August 10, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »
I've never ridden aces, the bending put me off. People swear by them though, I've just got too many Indy shirts to switch...

And I know that was a dig at the "ride the best..." But come on, these #loosetruckssavelives dudes are just as bad. Rides Ace, hates diamond.

upon closer examination, mine are bent. both trucks. I've probably skated them for one month. Not sure why i didn't notice until now, probably because the wheels are reverse coned and have flattened out to how the trucks are bent. sending them back asap.

Do people who think their trucks are bent know that they put more metal in the middle of the truck which makes it look bent when the actual axle is straight? I've seen people complain about it and then when they found out and checked the actual axle they realized it wasnt bent...

And why wouldnt you be able to not back diamond but like ace? Theyre just distributet by them.

I had to leave my board with aces in australia while traveling cause I didnt have room and now im riding indys... Once you try ace you get hooked on the turn and every other truck feels like riding a fucking door. Can't wait to get new ones.

Prince Nelson

« Reply #171 on: August 10, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Do people who think their trucks are bent know that they put more metal in the middle of the truck which makes it look bent when the actual axle is straight? I've seen people complain about it and then when they found out and checked the actual axle they realized it wasnt bent...

No, I'm well aware that there is more metal in the middle of the hanger. I took off both wheels and the axle is clearly bent.

dillanharp

« Reply #172 on: August 10, 2014, 11:59:03 AM »
And why wouldnt you be able to not back diamond but like ace? Theyre just distributet by them.
Dude...

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2014, 08:34:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Dude...

Yeah you're right, they do kinda interfere.

Although Nick Tershay (owner of Diamond) and Joey Tershay (owner of Ace) are brothers, so you can't really blame Joey for having Ace distributed through your brother who runs a super successful clothing brand. It's not like it's Monster Energy either. Ace as a brand is cool, as long as they keep it that way, I'm down.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2014, 11:28:33 AM »
Ace is owned by Diamond.

oldgoodburger

« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »
diamond only became terrible when wiz kalifa and his swag fag followers decided it was "cool"... before that they just kinda sucked

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #176 on: August 13, 2014, 09:23:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Indys are the heaviest most bulletproof trucks on the market, just look at them they burly

Prince Nelson

« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2014, 08:17:42 PM »
Ace trucks warranty came through for me today. I sent in my bent trucks last monday, got a box today with new trucks, tons of stickers, and even some recplacement bushings and pivot cups.

Tracer

« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »
Ace trucks warranty came through for me today. I sent in my bent trucks last monday, got a box today with new trucks, tons of stickers, and even some recplacement bushings and pivot cups.
Stoked you got a new set of trucks gunna bend. Never worth the hassle of warranty or product get indys

Prince Nelson

« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Stoked you got a new set of trucks gunna bend. Never worth the hassle of warranty or product get indys

I've had defective Indys before so I'm not worried about it. Aces turn better and stay more stable for me so they're just what i need.