Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739040 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #330 on: July 26, 2016, 02:38:09 AM »
Does your hardware store carry Ace, damn, my local is fucking up...

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #331 on: July 26, 2016, 06:34:01 AM »
Ace has never had a website. It's always just been their Facebook, Instagram, and a direct link to buy them on SoCal.

The "3/8 specials" were announced about a week ago that they're now fully available. Some shops were posting photos way before that announcement of new Ace trucks back in stock, and they'd have the 3/8 nuts on the axle. I contacted a couple shops and they said they came stock that way. However, Joey says the nuts will be sold separately.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #332 on: July 26, 2016, 07:46:33 AM »
That would be pretty sick haha
But I meant trying to see if a hardware store had a similar nut
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #333 on: July 26, 2016, 08:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That would be pretty sick haha
But I meant trying to see if a hardware store had a similar nut
closest ive seen is a flange nut.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #334 on: July 26, 2016, 09:27:08 AM »
Ace has never had a website. It's always just been their Facebook, Instagram, and a direct link to buy them on SoCal.

Actually, they did: http://acetruckmfg.com/ (it now points to the FB page, which is cheaper and has more reach).

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #335 on: July 26, 2016, 02:00:20 PM »
might be a dumb question and its probably been answered a bunch, but should i go 44 or 55 for a 8.7 t.u deck?

Main

« Reply #336 on: July 26, 2016, 02:23:58 PM »
might be a dumb question and its probably been answered a bunch, but should i go 44 or 55 for a 8.7 t.u deck?

44's are 8.38"
55's are 8.875"

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #337 on: July 26, 2016, 05:49:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Actually, they did: http://acetruckmfg.com/ (it now points to the FB page, which is cheaper and has more reach).

I clicked on the pixelated pictures and it sent me to the So Cal site

Main

« Reply #338 on: August 01, 2016, 09:45:10 AM »
I was at my local shop the other day and found a pair of 33's that have the "3/8 special" nuts on them stock. They don't have the nylon collar insert like normal axle and baseplate nuts. The "nyloc" type nuts help resist turning and secure the nut better, so I'm not sure if it could be a bad thing that the 38's don't have them. But it's the same size as the baseplate nuts so you would use that part of your tool to loosen or tighten the 38's.

Skate Warehouse has 'em in stock if anyone was interested in ordering them. Size 44 only...

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Ace_38_Specials_Hi_Trucks/descpage-AC38HTK.html
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:50:35 AM by Main »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #339 on: August 01, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »
I was at my local shop the other day and found a pair of 33's that have the "3/8 special" nuts on them stock. They don't have the nylon collar insert like normal axle and baseplate nuts. The "nyloc" type nuts help resist turning and secure the nut better, so I'm not sure if it could be a bad thing that the 38's don't have them. But it's the same size as the baseplate nuts so you would use that part of your tool to loosen or tighten the 38's.

Skate Warehouse has 'em in stock if anyone was interested in ordering them. Size 44 only...

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Ace_38_Specials_Hi_Trucks/descpage-AC38HTK.html

That sounds like a terrible idea...I mean, nyloc nuts have been standard forever, there is a reason. I cant imagine this to be a good thing at all (one can assume they did test it tho right?? :))

Main

« Reply #340 on: August 01, 2016, 04:12:39 PM »
It isn't an invention of Joey's actually, he just licensed it. A man named Gus Duarte (RIP) made them to go on kingpins and axles so skateboarders would only need one size tool. He tried to get truck companies to change their hardware to it, but it never took off.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:43:31 PM by Main »

Main

« Reply #341 on: August 01, 2016, 06:42:36 PM »
I've got those 3/8 nuts, and they've come loose two or three times in under a month. I don't think you can keep them flush without them coming loose. I've tightened them up a bit more and they haven't come loose again. Hope I don't strip an axle because of these fucking things.

If you're using more than two speed rings hanger side, the nut isn't going to hang on very well, nylon collar or not. Are you just using the usual one speed ring inside and out and tightening it down properly where there isn't too much play? Because yeah, that's not good if the nuts are coming loose with the normal amount of speed rings on the axle...

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:44:26 PM by Main »

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #342 on: August 03, 2016, 12:56:07 AM »
saw this tonight

Main

« Reply #343 on: August 03, 2016, 07:52:00 AM »
Man, I completely forgot to mention that when I inspected those 38's at the shop, the nut was slightly oval which is apparently why they don't put the nylon at the tip. But I think the downside is you can't keep reusing these, they self lock once or twice and then you'll need new ones.

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #344 on: August 03, 2016, 08:42:33 AM »
Just checked the skatewarehouse link for the 38 specials. What justifies them being $48 for a set?
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Main

« Reply #345 on: August 03, 2016, 11:04:29 AM »
Just checked the skatewarehouse link for the 38 specials. What justifies them being $48 for a set?

They sell their regular 44's for $22.99 a set, so you're only paying a couple more bucks for the specials. Yeah, it's kinda lame but it's only a couple bucks. It's all over the map with Ace prices, though. Some shops will sell 'em for $40 a set just like Indy 149's, others like a local near me sells 44's for $26.99 a set which is outrageous. The actual MSRP by Ace is $26.99 if you look on the sticker of the plastic shrink wrap they come in.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #346 on: August 03, 2016, 02:42:27 PM »
Man, I completely forgot to mention that when I inspected those 38's at the shop, the nut was slightly oval which is apparently why they don't put the nylon at the tip. But I think the downside is you can't keep reusing these, they self lock once or twice and then you'll need new ones.

Well I'm out. I change wheels and gear more than most; these would be obsolete right away; also, there is always some tightening that goes on once you set up a new ride ones the bearings/wheels/rucks settle.

Main

« Reply #347 on: August 03, 2016, 03:20:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well I'm out. I change wheels and gear more than most; these would be obsolete right away; also, there is always some tightening that goes on once you set up a new ride ones the bearings/wheels/rucks settle.

I hear ya. I'm going to experiment and see what happens. I have extra regular axle nuts on backup. Either way, my choices at this point are to try some Theeve's or keep skating Ace. I'm leaning more toward Ace, because Theeve just seems like a gimmick truck company, to be honest.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #348 on: August 03, 2016, 04:15:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They sell their regular 44's for $22.99 a set, so you're only paying a couple more bucks for the specials. Yeah, it's kinda lame but it's only a couple bucks. It's all over the map with Ace prices, though. Some shops will sell 'em for $40 a set just like Indy 149's, others like a local near me sells 44's for $26.99 a set which is outrageous. The actual MSRP by Ace is $26.99 if you look on the sticker of the plastic shrink wrap they come in.

I thought SoCal sold them that much a truck, saw these in the real world and loved them might have to cop a set

Main

« Reply #349 on: August 03, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I thought SoCal sold them that much a truck, saw these in the real world and loved them might have to cop a set

SoCal does $39.95 for regular 44's

BMCsteve

« Reply #350 on: August 03, 2016, 04:47:31 PM »
Having nuts on your board without nyloc sounds ridiculous.  you're just asking to lose a wheel bombing a hill or somehing

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #351 on: August 03, 2016, 06:13:50 PM »
Thinking about trying some 44's. The general consensus seems to be that Krux aftermarket bushings are the best, yay?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #352 on: August 03, 2016, 06:20:05 PM »
It sounds the general consensus on the .38 specials is they're somewhat oval shaped, have no nylon meaning once they're on they gotta stay on, which they don't seem to be doing anyhow and running more than one inner speed ring is gonna fuck with them. looks like i'm out, damn i was really looking into these.

Main

« Reply #353 on: August 03, 2016, 06:22:09 PM »
Thinking about trying some 44's. The general consensus seems to be that Krux aftermarket bushings are the best, yay?

So I've read. The bottom Krux bushing seems to be the only aftermarkets that are the same size as Ace's, which is good. This is the only place that has them in stock right now:

http://www.saltypeaks.com/products/31830/Krux-Worlds-Best-Cushions-Bushings-92a.html

Inman

• Rep: 2
« Reply #354 on: August 04, 2016, 11:36:37 AM »
facing trucks?  never heard of this, some kind of core level i havent achieved yet?

http://www.milehighskates.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1262&osCsid=52fda7d04d7615e9c24083185b28216b
Try using a wide flat head screw driver and prying the cup out that way.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #355 on: August 04, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »
Expand Quote
facing trucks?  never heard of this, some kind of core level i havent achieved yet?

http://www.milehighskates.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1262&osCsid=52fda7d04d7615e9c24083185b28216b
[close]
Try using a wide flat head screw driver and prying the cup out that way.
You just quoted, and answered a post from 5 and a half years ago.

Main

« Reply #356 on: August 04, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've got those 3/8 nuts, and they've come loose two or three times in under a month. I don't think you can keep them flush without them coming loose. I've tightened them up a bit more and they haven't come loose again. Hope I don't strip an axle because of these fucking things.
[close]

If you're using more than two speed rings hanger side, the nut isn't going to hang on very well, nylon collar or not. Are you just using the usual one speed ring inside and out and tightening it down properly where there isn't too much play? Because yeah, that's not good if the nuts are coming loose with the normal amount of speed rings on the axle...
[close]

I'm using two thick Ace speed rings on the inside and one thinner Independent washer on the outside. There is some play with the wheels, just like there would be with Indys with two on the inside and one on the outside.

I have to keep tightening at least one nut after every session. I wouldn't recommend these 3/8 nuts. The only reason I'm using them is because they came with the trucks (I thought they were regular 44s since they were the same price as regular 44s). I'll probably ditch the nuts soon or when I need new wheels.

You should email Ace and let Joey know he done fucked up.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #357 on: August 04, 2016, 04:28:09 PM »
How many speed rings come on new aces these days? used to be just one as you were supposed to put it on the outside as the inner hanger was tapered.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #358 on: August 04, 2016, 04:39:14 PM »
How many speed rings come on new aces these days? used to be just one as you were supposed to put it on the outside as the inner hanger was tapered.

four speed rings per truck, two per wheel.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: August 04, 2016, 10:42:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

SoCal does $39.95 for regular 44's

Know of any online shops in Cali or that won't charge a stupid amount of shipping for that price?