Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 116245 times)

clamy

• Rep: 81
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #330 on: June 25, 2016, 02:15:52 AM »
Taking the plunge on the redesigns. We'll see how this goes.

I just bought a set of 44s. No idea if they're the redesigns, but hoping they are.

First time trying Ace. I've been on Indies for almost a decade. Going to run them stock until something feels off, then I'll invest in some Khiro pivot cups and Krux bushings.

Turns out the Ace I bought are the re-designs. Skated them for the first time today (all stock). I loosened them up as much as they could go before being finger tight. They felt a little tight in the morning, but by the afternoon I was carving around like I would on Indies. I didn't get any wheelbite, and flipping my board felt great. The couple of mms difference in height made popping a little more quicker. If these hold up I'm sold on Ace.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #331 on: July 25, 2016, 09:37:12 PM »
i'm getting closer and closer to needing new trucks. 

been wanting to try titanium indy, because i like the idea of slightly lighter truck.  is it really true that ace 44's are the exact width as 149?  thought 149 were wider

as much as i want to try indy again, i am leaning towards sticking with Ace.  some people don't like the way they look but personally i like the minimal design (of the older design).  indys feel more bulky to me, which i guess is good for durability but also feels clunky or something

also, when rode indy's i had like 3 pairs in a row that had the axel slip.  no problems with my Ace

what say ye?
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #332 on: July 25, 2016, 09:46:23 PM »
how does ace not have an actual website anymore, just a facebook?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #333 on: July 25, 2016, 09:47:37 PM »
i'm getting closer and closer to needing new trucks.�

been wanting to try titanium indy, because i like the idea of slightly lighter truck.� is it really true that ace 44's are the exact width as 149?� thought 149 were wider

as much as i want to try indy again, i am leaning towards sticking with Ace.� some people don't like the way they look but personally i like the minimal design (of the older design).� indys feel more bulky to me, which i guess is good for durability but also feels clunky or something

also, when rode indy's i had like 3 pairs in a row that had the axel slip.� no problems with my Ace

what say ye?

ACE44s come in around 8.38, smaller than 149s.

The Stage I Ace hangers (and V1 Theeve & current Thunder, tho the new 149 has a more indy yoke look to them) look great, svelte design; Indy's look bulky compared to everything out there. The Indy TIs are much lighter than stock ACEs if that matters to you.

I'm actually tempted to jump back on the theeve wagon....resisting the urge tho.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #334 on: July 25, 2016, 09:48:14 PM »
Anyone know if those 38special nuts will be sold on their own, I want a better look at them

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #335 on: July 25, 2016, 10:30:08 PM »
Anyone know if those 38special nuts will be sold on their own, I want a better look at them
Maybe try a hardware store?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #336 on: July 26, 2016, 02:38:09 AM »
Does your hardware store carry Ace, damn, my local is fucking up...

Main

• Rep: -206
« Reply #337 on: July 26, 2016, 06:34:01 AM »
Ace has never had a website. It's always just been their Facebook, Instagram, and a direct link to buy them on SoCal.

The "3/8 specials" were announced about a week ago that they're now fully available. Some shops were posting photos way before that announcement of new Ace trucks back in stock, and they'd have the 3/8 nuts on the axle. I contacted a couple shops and they said they came stock that way. However, Joey says the nuts will be sold separately.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #338 on: July 26, 2016, 07:46:33 AM »
That would be pretty sick haha
But I meant trying to see if a hardware store had a similar nut

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #339 on: July 26, 2016, 08:05:52 AM »
That would be pretty sick haha
But I meant trying to see if a hardware store had a similar nut
closest ive seen is a flange nut.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #340 on: July 26, 2016, 09:27:08 AM »
Ace has never had a website. It's always just been their Facebook, Instagram, and a direct link to buy them on SoCal.

Actually, they did: http://acetruckmfg.com/ (it now points to the FB page, which is cheaper and has more reach).

Esmith5488

• Rep: -1
« Reply #341 on: July 26, 2016, 02:00:20 PM »
might be a dumb question and its probably been answered a bunch, but should i go 44 or 55 for a 8.7 t.u deck?

Main

« Reply #342 on: July 26, 2016, 02:23:58 PM »
might be a dumb question and its probably been answered a bunch, but should i go 44 or 55 for a 8.7 t.u deck?

44's are 8.38"
55's are 8.875"

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #343 on: July 26, 2016, 05:49:51 PM »

Actually, they did: http://acetruckmfg.com/ (it now points to the FB page, which is cheaper and has more reach).

I clicked on the pixelated pictures and it sent me to the So Cal site

Main

« Reply #344 on: August 01, 2016, 09:45:10 AM »
I was at my local shop the other day and found a pair of 33's that have the "3/8 special" nuts on them stock. They don't have the nylon collar insert like normal axle and baseplate nuts. The "nyloc" type nuts help resist turning and secure the nut better, so I'm not sure if it could be a bad thing that the 38's don't have them. But it's the same size as the baseplate nuts so you would use that part of your tool to loosen or tighten the 38's.

Skate Warehouse has 'em in stock if anyone was interested in ordering them. Size 44 only...

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Ace_38_Specials_Hi_Trucks/descpage-AC38HTK.html
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:50:35 AM by Main »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #345 on: August 01, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »
I was at my local shop the other day and found a pair of 33's that have the "3/8 special" nuts on them stock. They don't have the nylon collar insert like normal axle and baseplate nuts. The "nyloc" type nuts help resist turning and secure the nut better, so I'm not sure if it could be a bad thing that the 38's don't have them. But it's the same size as the baseplate nuts so you would use that part of your tool to loosen or tighten the 38's.

Skate Warehouse has 'em in stock if anyone was interested in ordering them. Size 44 only...

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Ace_38_Specials_Hi_Trucks/descpage-AC38HTK.html

That sounds like a terrible idea...I mean, nyloc nuts have been standard forever, there is a reason. I cant imagine this to be a good thing at all (one can assume they did test it tho right?? :))

Main

« Reply #346 on: August 01, 2016, 04:12:39 PM »
It isn't an invention of Joey's actually, he just licensed it. A man named Gus Duarte (RIP) made them to go on kingpins and axles so skateboarders would only need one size tool. He tried to get truck companies to change their hardware to it, but it never took off.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:43:31 PM by Main »

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #347 on: August 01, 2016, 05:20:34 PM »
I've got those 3/8 nuts, and they've come loose two or three times in under a month. I don't think you can keep them flush without them coming loose. I've tightened them up a bit more and they haven't come loose again. Hope I don't strip an axle because of these fucking things.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:23:51 PM by clamy »

Main

« Reply #348 on: August 01, 2016, 06:42:36 PM »
I've got those 3/8 nuts, and they've come loose two or three times in under a month. I don't think you can keep them flush without them coming loose. I've tightened them up a bit more and they haven't come loose again. Hope I don't strip an axle because of these fucking things.

If you're using more than two speed rings hanger side, the nut isn't going to hang on very well, nylon collar or not. Are you just using the usual one speed ring inside and out and tightening it down properly where there isn't too much play? Because yeah, that's not good if the nuts are coming loose with the normal amount of speed rings on the axle...

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:44:26 PM by Main »

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: August 03, 2016, 12:56:07 AM »
saw this tonight

Main

« Reply #350 on: August 03, 2016, 07:52:00 AM »
Man, I completely forgot to mention that when I inspected those 38's at the shop, the nut was slightly oval which is apparently why they don't put the nylon at the tip. But I think the downside is you can't keep reusing these, they self lock once or twice and then you'll need new ones.

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -3
« Reply #351 on: August 03, 2016, 08:42:33 AM »
Just checked the skatewarehouse link for the 38 specials. What justifies them being $48 for a set?
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Main

« Reply #352 on: August 03, 2016, 11:04:29 AM »
Just checked the skatewarehouse link for the 38 specials. What justifies them being $48 for a set?

They sell their regular 44's for $22.99 a set, so you're only paying a couple more bucks for the specials. Yeah, it's kinda lame but it's only a couple bucks. It's all over the map with Ace prices, though. Some shops will sell 'em for $40 a set just like Indy 149's, others like a local near me sells 44's for $26.99 a set which is outrageous. The actual MSRP by Ace is $26.99 if you look on the sticker of the plastic shrink wrap they come in.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: August 03, 2016, 02:42:27 PM »
Man, I completely forgot to mention that when I inspected those 38's at the shop, the nut was slightly oval which is apparently why they don't put the nylon at the tip. But I think the downside is you can't keep reusing these, they self lock once or twice and then you'll need new ones.

Well I'm out. I change wheels and gear more than most; these would be obsolete right away; also, there is always some tightening that goes on once you set up a new ride ones the bearings/wheels/rucks settle.

Main

« Reply #354 on: August 03, 2016, 03:20:24 PM »

Well I'm out. I change wheels and gear more than most; these would be obsolete right away; also, there is always some tightening that goes on once you set up a new ride ones the bearings/wheels/rucks settle.

I hear ya. I'm going to experiment and see what happens. I have extra regular axle nuts on backup. Either way, my choices at this point are to try some Theeve's or keep skating Ace. I'm leaning more toward Ace, because Theeve just seems like a gimmick truck company, to be honest.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #355 on: August 03, 2016, 04:15:15 PM »

They sell their regular 44's for $22.99 a set, so you're only paying a couple more bucks for the specials. Yeah, it's kinda lame but it's only a couple bucks. It's all over the map with Ace prices, though. Some shops will sell 'em for $40 a set just like Indy 149's, others like a local near me sells 44's for $26.99 a set which is outrageous. The actual MSRP by Ace is $26.99 if you look on the sticker of the plastic shrink wrap they come in.

I thought SoCal sold them that much a truck, saw these in the real world and loved them might have to cop a set

Main

« Reply #356 on: August 03, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »

I thought SoCal sold them that much a truck, saw these in the real world and loved them might have to cop a set

SoCal does $39.95 for regular 44's

BMCsteve

« Reply #357 on: August 03, 2016, 04:47:31 PM »
Having nuts on your board without nyloc sounds ridiculous.  you're just asking to lose a wheel bombing a hill or somehing

jamersonbass

• Rep: 11
« Reply #358 on: August 03, 2016, 06:13:50 PM »
Thinking about trying some 44's. The general consensus seems to be that Krux aftermarket bushings are the best, yay?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #359 on: August 03, 2016, 06:20:05 PM »
It sounds the general consensus on the .38 specials is they're somewhat oval shaped, have no nylon meaning once they're on they gotta stay on, which they don't seem to be doing anyhow and running more than one inner speed ring is gonna fuck with them. looks like i'm out, damn i was really looking into these.