Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738988 times)

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #360 on: August 04, 2016, 11:22:14 PM »
SoCal Skate Shop offers USPS Priority as a shipping option and it's $10 or less. I actually prefer USPS Priority over UPS because it's always been delivered to me in only two business days. They deliver on Saturday if they need to and it comes earlier in the day than UPS so you're not sitting around waiting for your stuff to arrive.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #361 on: August 04, 2016, 11:39:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just checked the skatewarehouse link for the 38 specials. What justifies them being $48 for a set?
[close]

They sell their regular 44's for $22.99 a set, so you're only paying a couple more bucks for the specials. Yeah, it's kinda lame but it's only a couple bucks. It's all over the map with Ace prices, though. Some shops will sell 'em for $40 a set just like Indy 149's, others like a local near me sells 44's for $26.99 a set which is outrageous. The actual MSRP by Ace is $26.99 if you look on the sticker of the plastic shrink wrap they come in.
[close]
http://www.tactics.com/ace/44-hi-skateboard-trucks/silver

I thought SoCal sold them that much a truck, saw these in the real world and loved them might have to cop a set
[close]

SoCal does $39.95 for regular 44's
[close]

Know of any online shops in Cali or that won't charge a stupid amount of shipping for that price?
Tactics does free shipping. It would be coming to you from Oregon though. http://www.tactics.com/ace/44-hi-skateboard-trucks/silver

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #362 on: August 06, 2016, 09:37:46 AM »
Really hope they start producing the magnesium base plates again.

Ace people if you're reading this, please do this.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #363 on: August 06, 2016, 11:44:14 AM »

Somehow I doubt it will happen, ACE is still too small, probably will always be this way; the intital bad taste of hanger bends blew it for them (much like theeves bushing seat). New brands rarely recover from missteps and with zero marketing dollars...we're al stuck with heavy cast plates :P

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #364 on: August 06, 2016, 02:50:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Somehow I doubt it will happen, ACE is still too small, probably will always be this way; the intital bad taste of hanger bends blew it for them (much like theeves bushing seat). New brands rarely recover from missteps and with zero marketing dollars...we're al stuck with heavy cast plates :P

Well I'm glad I'm not gnarly then.  Maybe mine will hold up for a while.  

Still I see them pretty often here in nyc.  There can't be a better turn for snaking through the crowds and traffic, heavy ass plates or not.

Ace people, a limited run of mag plates please.  You have a following!!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:55:49 PM by NowhereInLife »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #365 on: August 06, 2016, 04:15:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just checked the skatewarehouse link for the 38 specials. What justifies them being $48 for a set?
[close]

They sell their regular 44's for $22.99 a set, so you're only paying a couple more bucks for the specials. Yeah, it's kinda lame but it's only a couple bucks. It's all over the map with Ace prices, though. Some shops will sell 'em for $40 a set just like Indy 149's, others like a local near me sells 44's for $26.99 a set which is outrageous. The actual MSRP by Ace is $26.99 if you look on the sticker of the plastic shrink wrap they come in.
[close]

I thought SoCal sold them that much a truck, saw these in the real world and loved them might have to cop a set
[close]

[close]

Know of any online shops in Cali or that won't charge a stupid amount of shipping for that price?
[close]
Tactics does free shipping. It would be coming to you from Oregon though. http://www.tactics.com/ace/44-hi-skateboard-trucks/silver

Thank you!
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #366 on: August 08, 2016, 04:30:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I e-mailed them a couple of months ago to check if it was the re-designed 44's - 55's - 66's and it's still the old design...don't know about it now but would love to get it from them than soCal since they're tax free and free shipping. nothing bad to say about them rather than i always come up good on their thursday sales.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #367 on: August 08, 2016, 08:01:35 AM »
I e-mailed them a couple of months ago to check if it was the re-designed 44's - 55's - 66's and it's still the old design...don't know about it now but would love to get it from them than soCal since they're tax free and free shipping. nothing bad to say about them rather than i always come up good on their thursday sales.

Damn, I just got some 66's from them. Been great so far though. I mostly just skate transitions and low impact curbs/ledges so hopefully i'll be fine.

N.L.

« Reply #368 on: August 08, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
I got some 55s from Tactics. They were the new design. They don't always know what the fuck they're talking about. Great shop as far as online goes through.

Andmoreagain

« Reply #369 on: August 08, 2016, 09:19:40 AM »
I got some 55s from Tactics. They were the new design. They don't always know what the fuck they're talking about. Great shop as far as online goes through.

How do you tell the difference?

N.L.

« Reply #370 on: August 08, 2016, 09:33:44 AM »
Old:

New:

Not sure on the terminology but the hangars have more support and are thicker.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #371 on: August 08, 2016, 02:36:03 PM »
Socalskateshop and Tactics both have the redesign from what I understand.  I emailed them both last week to make sure and ended up ordering some 44's because their running 15% off orders over $25.  I've really been enjoying my Thunder 149 ii's after riding Indy's forever and figure if I don't gel with the Aces, I can just setup a cruiser with them.

Mongoloid

« Reply #372 on: August 08, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »
Old:

New:

Shit.. I have 4 unused sets of 03 low's in the old style. Are you telling me that they are likely to have some kind of issue when it comes time to skating them? If so... Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:26:06 PM by Mongoloid »

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #373 on: August 08, 2016, 03:51:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Old:

New:

[close]

Shit.. I have 4 unused sets of 03 low's in the old style. Are you telling me that they are likely to have some kind of issue when it comes time to skating them? If so... Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
They only changed the design on 44's and up. The 03s they sell now will be exactly the same as the ones you have.
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Mongoloid

« Reply #374 on: August 08, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
They only changed the design on 44's and up. The 03s they sell now will be exactly the same as the ones you have.

Coo, i'll chill for the interim.

About to give them a go as soon as my foot is healed up.

Andmoreagain

« Reply #375 on: August 10, 2016, 10:50:15 AM »
Old:

New:

Ahh, so I got the new design, thanks.

Sidenote: These might be the best trucks I've ever had.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #376 on: August 10, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Old:

New:

[close]

Ahh, so I got the new design, thanks.

Sidenote: These might be the best trucks I've ever had.
Yeah man. There is something about them. They just feel...right.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #377 on: August 10, 2016, 01:55:40 PM »
Anybody experienced loose kingpin on Aces ?
Got my 44 for 2 months and my front truck got a loose kingpin...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Main

« Reply #378 on: August 10, 2016, 04:09:04 PM »

Yep. Happened to me with two sets in a row. I'm trying ACE one last time. This time keeping stock bushings or using Krux which will maintain stock geometry. Before, I had Bones in them which are too short and put added stress on the kingpin and pivot.

BMCsteve

« Reply #379 on: August 10, 2016, 07:54:59 PM »
if you have cast (non forged) baseplates and ride loose you are likely to get the wobbly kingpings at some point.  Ace, Indy, Thunder, etc all have this issue.  The cast baseplates are softer than forged.  Combine that with the even softer Ace china metal, it's bound to happen

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #380 on: August 10, 2016, 08:55:05 PM »
if you have cast (non forged) baseplates and ride loose you are likely to get the wobbly kingpings at some point.  Ace, Indy, Thunder, etc all have this issue.  The cast baseplates are softer than forged.  Combine that with the even softer Ace china metal, it's bound to happen

is that why the kingpin nut keeps moving? i swear i have it on at a certain amount of turn so it's just the right looseness for me but for reason it's not locked until it goes past a couple of threads till the tip of the kingpin starts showing and that's a pet peeve of mine and then it comes tight as shit to turn. i don't like to grind down my kingpin either, rather it be the nut cause that's easily replaceable.

N.L.

« Reply #381 on: August 10, 2016, 09:05:31 PM »
if you have cast (non forged) baseplates and ride loose you are likely to get the wobbly kingpings at some point.  Ace, Indy, Thunder, etc all have this issue.  The cast baseplates are softer than forged.  Combine that with the even softer Ace china metal, it's bound to happen

Ace plates are forged, right?

If you like wiggle loose trucks, does it even matter if the kingpin wiggles?

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #382 on: August 10, 2016, 11:53:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep. Happened to me with two sets in a row. I'm trying ACE one last time. This time keeping stock bushings or using Krux which will maintain stock geometry. Before, I had Bones in them which are too short and put added stress on the kingpin and pivot.

I was also riding bones, with both washers.
I just ordered a new pair, this time I will ride them all stock as you suggested...

Is this issue supported by Ace warranty ?

The only thing I know is that the feeling is really weird, but of course it is skatable...

BMCsteve

« Reply #383 on: August 11, 2016, 07:04:19 AM »
Expand Quote
if you have cast (non forged) baseplates and ride loose you are likely to get the wobbly kingpings at some point.  Ace, Indy, Thunder, etc all have this issue.  The cast baseplates are softer than forged.  Combine that with the even softer Ace china metal, it's bound to happen
[close]

Ace baseplates are cast.  Loose kingpins are still skateable but the board is less stable and the looser you skate your trucks the less stable it will be

N.L.

« Reply #384 on: August 11, 2016, 07:37:51 AM »
well that's a given.

ace base plates look  very similar to forged BPs.

ah well, yet to happen to me and i ride just tight of wobble loose. i thought one was wobbling once but took the hanger off to check and it was fine. it did happen on an indy once so i just re-inserted the kingpin and it stayed tight thereafter. no damage to the hole. double-entendres are flying right now.

Main

« Reply #385 on: August 11, 2016, 08:51:59 AM »
I was also riding bones, with both washers.
I just ordered a new pair, this time I will ride them all stock as you suggested...

Is this issue supported by Ace warranty?

I'm not sure, you could email him and see.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #386 on: August 12, 2016, 12:31:52 AM »
I tried to re-insert the kingpin a couple of times yesterday, but at the end it always wiggles.
So I emailed Ace and this is their answer :

Dear Thomas,

At Ace we take our trucks and our warranty very seriously. If you have any
issues with your Ace trucks, please send them to us along with a letter
explaining your concerns and containing your return shipping address for
replacement.

ACE c / o Warranty
1710 Cordova Street
Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA

Best Regards,

-ACE-

I ordered a new pair of Ace 44 on SoCal, as soon as I'll get them, I will send the defective truck to Ace and see what happen...
I'm not going to hate on the quality, I switched from Indys to Aces because I had three sets of trucks with axle slipping in a row on my 149's...

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #387 on: August 12, 2016, 05:14:17 AM »
My indy axles are slipping again. This is probably why I've never managed to grind a set down to the axle. They always slipped before and I guess they still haven't figured out how to keep it from happening.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #388 on: August 12, 2016, 08:04:07 AM »
Just got my 44's from SoCal and they're the goddamn 38 specials. Oh wel, I've got some old nuts I can throw on. Looking forward to trying them.

Main

« Reply #389 on: August 12, 2016, 05:45:45 PM »
After suffering through these stock Ace bushings for a week, I finally got some Krux in the mail today. Once the rain dried up I cruised around and got to experience these magnificent motherfuckers. Fuck Bones bushings, Krux in Ace's are the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. The top Krux bushing is shorter than an Ace stock which doesn't really matter, but just letting everyone know.

I really don't understand why Joey decided to put such restrictive stock bushings in the redesigns. They make Ace's very hard to turn and it prevents them from performing how they are supposed to be right out of the gate. Now with the Krux bushings, they have that good ol' amazing responsiveness and just an unbeatable turn, while being able to maintain stock geometry. Just hope my kingpins don't come loose again...