Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 115333 times)

Main

• Rep: -206
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #360 on: August 03, 2016, 06:22:09 PM »
Thinking about trying some 44's. The general consensus seems to be that Krux aftermarket bushings are the best, yay?

So I've read. The bottom Krux bushing seems to be the only aftermarkets that are the same size as Ace's, which is good. This is the only place that has them in stock right now:

http://www.saltypeaks.com/products/31830/Krux-Worlds-Best-Cushions-Bushings-92a.html

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #361 on: August 04, 2016, 02:08:51 AM »
I've got those 3/8 nuts, and they've come loose two or three times in under a month. I don't think you can keep them flush without them coming loose. I've tightened them up a bit more and they haven't come loose again. Hope I don't strip an axle because of these fucking things.

If you're using more than two speed rings hanger side, the nut isn't going to hang on very well, nylon collar or not. Are you just using the usual one speed ring inside and out and tightening it down properly where there isn't too much play? Because yeah, that's not good if the nuts are coming loose with the normal amount of speed rings on the axle...

I'm using two thick Ace speed rings on the inside and one thinner Independent washer on the outside. There is some play with the wheels, just like there would be with Indys with two on the inside and one on the outside.

I have to keep tightening at least one nut after every session. I wouldn't recommend these 3/8 nuts. The only reason I'm using them is because they came with the trucks (I thought they were regular 44s since they were the same price as regular 44s). I'll probably ditch the nuts soon or when I need new wheels.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 02:12:19 AM by clamy »

Inman

• Rep: 2
« Reply #362 on: August 04, 2016, 11:36:37 AM »
facing trucks?  never heard of this, some kind of core level i havent achieved yet?

http://www.milehighskates.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1262&osCsid=52fda7d04d7615e9c24083185b28216b
Try using a wide flat head screw driver and prying the cup out that way.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #363 on: August 04, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »
facing trucks?  never heard of this, some kind of core level i havent achieved yet?

http://www.milehighskates.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1262&osCsid=52fda7d04d7615e9c24083185b28216b
Try using a wide flat head screw driver and prying the cup out that way.
You just quoted, and answered a post from 5 and a half years ago.

Main

« Reply #364 on: August 04, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »
I've got those 3/8 nuts, and they've come loose two or three times in under a month. I don't think you can keep them flush without them coming loose. I've tightened them up a bit more and they haven't come loose again. Hope I don't strip an axle because of these fucking things.

If you're using more than two speed rings hanger side, the nut isn't going to hang on very well, nylon collar or not. Are you just using the usual one speed ring inside and out and tightening it down properly where there isn't too much play? Because yeah, that's not good if the nuts are coming loose with the normal amount of speed rings on the axle...

I'm using two thick Ace speed rings on the inside and one thinner Independent washer on the outside. There is some play with the wheels, just like there would be with Indys with two on the inside and one on the outside.

I have to keep tightening at least one nut after every session. I wouldn't recommend these 3/8 nuts. The only reason I'm using them is because they came with the trucks (I thought they were regular 44s since they were the same price as regular 44s). I'll probably ditch the nuts soon or when I need new wheels.

You should email Ace and let Joey know he done fucked up.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #365 on: August 04, 2016, 04:28:09 PM »
How many speed rings come on new aces these days? used to be just one as you were supposed to put it on the outside as the inner hanger was tapered.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #366 on: August 04, 2016, 04:39:14 PM »
How many speed rings come on new aces these days? used to be just one as you were supposed to put it on the outside as the inner hanger was tapered.

four speed rings per truck, two per wheel.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #367 on: August 04, 2016, 10:42:41 PM »
Just checked the skatewarehouse link for the 38 specials. What justifies them being $48 for a set?

They sell their regular 44's for $22.99 a set, so you're only paying a couple more bucks for the specials. Yeah, it's kinda lame but it's only a couple bucks. It's all over the map with Ace prices, though. Some shops will sell 'em for $40 a set just like Indy 149's, others like a local near me sells 44's for $26.99 a set which is outrageous. The actual MSRP by Ace is $26.99 if you look on the sticker of the plastic shrink wrap they come in.

I thought SoCal sold them that much a truck, saw these in the real world and loved them might have to cop a set

SoCal does $39.95 for regular 44's

Know of any online shops in Cali or that won't charge a stupid amount of shipping for that price?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Main

« Reply #368 on: August 04, 2016, 11:22:14 PM »
SoCal Skate Shop offers USPS Priority as a shipping option and it's $10 or less. I actually prefer USPS Priority over UPS because it's always been delivered to me in only two business days. They deliver on Saturday if they need to and it comes earlier in the day than UPS so you're not sitting around waiting for your stuff to arrive.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #369 on: August 04, 2016, 11:39:32 PM »
Just checked the skatewarehouse link for the 38 specials. What justifies them being $48 for a set?

They sell their regular 44's for $22.99 a set, so you're only paying a couple more bucks for the specials. Yeah, it's kinda lame but it's only a couple bucks. It's all over the map with Ace prices, though. Some shops will sell 'em for $40 a set just like Indy 149's, others like a local near me sells 44's for $26.99 a set which is outrageous. The actual MSRP by Ace is $26.99 if you look on the sticker of the plastic shrink wrap they come in.
http://www.tactics.com/ace/44-hi-skateboard-trucks/silver

I thought SoCal sold them that much a truck, saw these in the real world and loved them might have to cop a set

Know of any online shops in Cali or that won't charge a stupid amount of shipping for that price?
Tactics does free shipping. It would be coming to you from Oregon though. http://www.tactics.com/ace/44-hi-skateboard-trucks/silver

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #370 on: August 06, 2016, 09:37:46 AM »
Really hope they start producing the magnesium base plates again.

Ace people if you're reading this, please do this.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #371 on: August 06, 2016, 11:44:14 AM »

Somehow I doubt it will happen, ACE is still too small, probably will always be this way; the intital bad taste of hanger bends blew it for them (much like theeves bushing seat). New brands rarely recover from missteps and with zero marketing dollars...we're al stuck with heavy cast plates :P

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #372 on: August 06, 2016, 02:50:04 PM »

Somehow I doubt it will happen, ACE is still too small, probably will always be this way; the intital bad taste of hanger bends blew it for them (much like theeves bushing seat). New brands rarely recover from missteps and with zero marketing dollars...we're al stuck with heavy cast plates :P

Well I'm glad I'm not gnarly then.  Maybe mine will hold up for a while.  

Still I see them pretty often here in nyc.  There can't be a better turn for snaking through the crowds and traffic, heavy ass plates or not.

Ace people, a limited run of mag plates please.  You have a following!!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:55:49 PM by NowhereInLife »

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #373 on: August 06, 2016, 04:15:29 PM »

Tactics does free shipping. It would be coming to you from Oregon though. http://www.tactics.com/ace/44-hi-skateboard-trucks/silver

Thank you!
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

ferraveemo

• Rep: -3
« Reply #374 on: August 08, 2016, 04:30:06 AM »

I e-mailed them a couple of months ago to check if it was the re-designed 44's - 55's - 66's and it's still the old design...don't know about it now but would love to get it from them than soCal since they're tax free and free shipping. nothing bad to say about them rather than i always come up good on their thursday sales.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 19
« Reply #375 on: August 08, 2016, 08:01:35 AM »
I e-mailed them a couple of months ago to check if it was the re-designed 44's - 55's - 66's and it's still the old design...don't know about it now but would love to get it from them than soCal since they're tax free and free shipping. nothing bad to say about them rather than i always come up good on their thursday sales.

Damn, I just got some 66's from them. Been great so far though. I mostly just skate transitions and low impact curbs/ledges so hopefully i'll be fine.

N.L.

« Reply #376 on: August 08, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
I got some 55s from Tactics. They were the new design. They don't always know what the fuck they're talking about. Great shop as far as online goes through.

Andmoreagain

« Reply #377 on: August 08, 2016, 09:19:40 AM »
I got some 55s from Tactics. They were the new design. They don't always know what the fuck they're talking about. Great shop as far as online goes through.

How do you tell the difference?

N.L.

« Reply #378 on: August 08, 2016, 09:33:44 AM »
Old:

New:

Not sure on the terminology but the hangars have more support and are thicker.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 11
« Reply #379 on: August 08, 2016, 02:36:03 PM »
Socalskateshop and Tactics both have the redesign from what I understand.  I emailed them both last week to make sure and ended up ordering some 44's because their running 15% off orders over $25.  I've really been enjoying my Thunder 149 ii's after riding Indy's forever and figure if I don't gel with the Aces, I can just setup a cruiser with them.

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #380 on: August 08, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »
Old:

New:

Shit.. I have 4 unused sets of 03 low's in the old style. Are you telling me that they are likely to have some kind of issue when it comes time to skating them? If so... Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:26:06 PM by Mongoloid »
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

bluntstofakie

« Reply #381 on: August 08, 2016, 03:51:05 PM »
Old:

New:

Shit.. I have 4 unused sets of 03 low's in the old style. Are you telling me that they are likely to have some kind of issue when it comes time to skating them? If so... Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
They only changed the design on 44's and up. The 03s they sell now will be exactly the same as the ones you have.
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #382 on: August 08, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »

They only changed the design on 44's and up. The 03s they sell now will be exactly the same as the ones you have.

Coo, i'll chill for the interim.

About to give them a go as soon as my foot is healed up.
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

Andmoreagain

« Reply #383 on: August 10, 2016, 10:50:15 AM »
Old:

New:

Ahh, so I got the new design, thanks.

Sidenote: These might be the best trucks I've ever had.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #384 on: August 10, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »
Old:

New:

Ahh, so I got the new design, thanks.

Sidenote: These might be the best trucks I've ever had.
Yeah man. There is something about them. They just feel...right.

Thomas

• Rep: -1
  • no pop no style
« Reply #385 on: August 10, 2016, 01:55:40 PM »
Anybody experienced loose kingpin on Aces ?
Got my 44 for 2 months and my front truck got a loose kingpin...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Main

« Reply #386 on: August 10, 2016, 04:09:04 PM »
Anybody experienced loose kingpin on Aces ?
Got my 44 for 2 months and my front truck got a loose kingpin...

Yep. Happened to me with two sets in a row. I'm trying ACE one last time. This time keeping stock bushings or using Krux which will maintain stock geometry. Before, I had Bones in them which are too short and put added stress on the kingpin and pivot.

BMCsteve

« Reply #387 on: August 10, 2016, 07:54:59 PM »
if you have cast (non forged) baseplates and ride loose you are likely to get the wobbly kingpings at some point.  Ace, Indy, Thunder, etc all have this issue.  The cast baseplates are softer than forged.  Combine that with the even softer Ace china metal, it's bound to happen

ferraveemo

« Reply #388 on: August 10, 2016, 08:55:05 PM »
if you have cast (non forged) baseplates and ride loose you are likely to get the wobbly kingpings at some point.  Ace, Indy, Thunder, etc all have this issue.  The cast baseplates are softer than forged.  Combine that with the even softer Ace china metal, it's bound to happen

is that why the kingpin nut keeps moving? i swear i have it on at a certain amount of turn so it's just the right looseness for me but for reason it's not locked until it goes past a couple of threads till the tip of the kingpin starts showing and that's a pet peeve of mine and then it comes tight as shit to turn. i don't like to grind down my kingpin either, rather it be the nut cause that's easily replaceable.

N.L.

« Reply #389 on: August 10, 2016, 09:05:31 PM »
if you have cast (non forged) baseplates and ride loose you are likely to get the wobbly kingpings at some point.  Ace, Indy, Thunder, etc all have this issue.  The cast baseplates are softer than forged.  Combine that with the even softer Ace china metal, it's bound to happen

Ace plates are forged, right?

If you like wiggle loose trucks, does it even matter if the kingpin wiggles?