Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738946 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #390 on: August 13, 2016, 06:13:07 PM »
After suffering through these stock Ace bushings for a week, I finally got some Krux in the mail today. Once the rain dried up I cruised around and got to experience these magnificent motherfuckers. Fuck Bones bushings, Krux in Ace's are the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. The top Krux bushing is shorter than an Ace stock which doesn't really matter, but just letting everyone know.

I really don't understand why Joey decided to put such restrictive stock bushings in the redesigns. They make Ace's very hard to turn and it prevents them from performing how they are supposed to be right out of the gate. Now with the Krux bushings, they have that good ol' amazing responsiveness and just an unbeatable turn, while being able to maintain stock geometry. Just hope my kingpins don't come loose again...

Ankle is griefing me so I setup my ACEs to just carve around the park bowls today (no tricks!), Bones med/krux pins. So good, I'm afraid to jump back on thunders again, as I know I'll feel that 'struggle' whereas the aces are just butter.

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
« Reply #391 on: August 13, 2016, 08:59:17 PM »
Thought you had the Krux bushings, Xen? You should use those instead of Bones, keeping stock geometry is important I've learned. I experimented today and noticed that either Ace stock bottoms or the Krux bottoms perform about the same as long as you use Krux tops. It's that hard Ace top bushing that really restricts the turn most of all.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #392 on: August 13, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »
I've seen a bunch of people at my Local skatepark that skates in Ace's and they have the stock top bushing and Bones Medium or Soft on the Bottom. Can anyone confirm if that's still too short for the specified geometry?

Main

« Reply #393 on: August 13, 2016, 11:32:48 PM »
I've seen a bunch of people at my Local skatepark that skates in Ace's and they have the stock top bushing and Bones Medium or Soft on the Bottom. Can anyone confirm if that's still too short for the specified geometry?

I've put a bottom Bones bushing next to an Ace stock with and without the washer underneath and it's always shorter than the Ace.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #394 on: August 14, 2016, 01:09:31 AM »
I experimented today and noticed that either Ace stock bottoms or the Krux bottoms perform about the same as long as you use Krux tops. It's that hard Ace top bushing that really restricts the turn most of all.
I hated the stock bushing at first too but I decided to try and actually break them in and I feel like they work pretty much the same as the Krux bushings once they're broke in nicely. That's just my good for nothing opinion.

obZen

• Rep: 7
« Reply #395 on: August 14, 2016, 01:59:09 AM »
I'm at a point where I'm super anal about how my trucks fit on my board, and I've decided that 8.5 boards are not for me. Just too much real estate under the foot, and 149 indys on 8.25 just seems to throw off my 360 flips a lot compared to when I was riding krux 8.25 trucks for a bit, seems like I have to jump a lot more because the wider trucks slow the rotation down enough to mess with my fat ass. I know that they aren't 8.25” exact, but I'm hoping maybe it will be close enough to not screw with me.

Have they done much about the issue with these bending on some people? Because I'm very heavy, at a little over 200 lbs and I'm worried that if people less than 200 were bending them, then I am almost sure to.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #396 on: August 14, 2016, 08:00:26 AM »
Have they done much about the issue with these bending on some people? Because I'm very heavy, at a little over 200 lbs and I'm worried that if people less than 200 were bending them, then I am almost sure to.

They beefed up the hangers on 44's and up.  I've had gigs every night this weekend so I haven't been able to try mine out yet.

Main

« Reply #397 on: August 14, 2016, 09:22:11 AM »
You can bend an axle and/or get axle slip on pretty much any truck. It still happens to people's Indy's and Thunder's more often than one would think. Ace aren't any worse or better in that department. I wouldn't worry about it, just grab some 44 redesigns and you'll most likely be fine.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #398 on: August 15, 2016, 11:37:32 PM »
I'm at a point where I'm super anal about how my trucks fit on my board, and I've decided that 8.5 boards are not for me. Just too much real estate under the foot, and 149 indys on 8.25 just seems to throw off my 360 flips a lot compared to when I was riding krux 8.25 trucks for a bit, seems like I have to jump a lot more because the wider trucks slow the rotation down enough to mess with my fat ass. I know that they aren't 8.25� exact, but I'm hoping maybe it will be close enough to not screw with me.

Regarding the fitting of trucks on boards, I'm on Ace 44 with 8.25, and I put two speed rings outside of the wheels, nothing inside.
Maybe it's just mental but it feels like flip tricks are easier...

For the bending "issue", I'm quite light but I guess it can happend with every trucks brand...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

jamersonbass

« Reply #399 on: August 17, 2016, 06:01:01 PM »
Finally got around to setting up my 44's.  My initial thoughts are that I like the height and the way that they grind, but the bushings are super firm.  I'm planning on riding out the dreaded break in period, but do you Ace guys find that the Krux bushings are similar to Indy after markets in that they require way less break in time?  If so I'll gladly pick some up.  If not, I'm just going to stick it out with the stock bushings.  They weren't as surfy as I expected first go, but I'm hoping once the bushings get broken in that will change.

Main

« Reply #400 on: August 17, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »
Finally got around to setting up my 44's.  My initial thoughts are that I like the height and the way that they grind, but the bushings are super firm.  I'm planning on riding out the dreaded break in period, but do you Ace guys find that the Krux bushings are similar to Indy after markets in that they require way less break in time?  If so I'll gladly pick some up.  If not, I'm just going to stick it out with the stock bushings.  They weren't as surfy as I expected first go, but I'm hoping once the bushings get broken in that will change.

Dude the Krux bushings are perfect right when you throw 'em in the Ace's. Get 'em ASAP. Breaking in the Ace bushings suck, and it takes a long time. They're way too hard.

N.L.

« Reply #401 on: August 17, 2016, 09:02:26 PM »
Everyone is right about the Krux bushings in Ace. Its a perfect combo. On 44s, I use both Krux bushings. On 55s I use stock Ace bottom and top Krux.

No idea if Indys of the same duro work as well or not...

Main

« Reply #402 on: August 18, 2016, 01:27:53 AM »
Everyone is right about the Krux bushings in Ace. Its a perfect combo. On 44s, I use both Krux bushings. On 55s I use stock Ace bottom and top Krux.

No idea if Indys of the same duro work as well or not...

Krux are NHS, so I would imagine the aftermarket bushings come from the same factory as the Indy aftermarkets. But it would only be smart to use an Indy top in Aces, since the bottoms are too short.

jamersonbass

« Reply #403 on: August 18, 2016, 05:22:45 AM »
I was just referencing the Indy after markets as far break in time goes.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #404 on: August 18, 2016, 02:42:41 PM »
Are Ace's taller than a normal Indy?

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #405 on: August 18, 2016, 02:45:22 PM »
Are Ace's taller than a normal Indy?

They're 2mm lower

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #406 on: August 22, 2016, 02:34:10 AM »
Received my new Ace from SoCal to replace my loose kingpin.
I was surprised to see it was .38 specials... These nuts looks cheap and I immediately replaced them with standard ones.

It seems that they changed the formula of stock bushings or something, because they are not as white as the old one.
Maybe it changes from one batch to another, I don't know...

I'm going to send my "old" baseplate with loose kingpin to Ace and see what happen.

Main

« Reply #407 on: August 22, 2016, 11:20:16 AM »
Received my new Ace from SoCal to replace my loose kingpin.
I was surprised to see it was .38 specials... These nuts looks cheap and I immediately replaced them with standard ones.

It seems that they changed the formula of stock bushings or something, because they are not as white as the old one.
Maybe it changes from one batch to another, I don't know...

I'm going to send my "old" baseplate with loose kingpin to Ace and see what happen.

All redesigns come with foggy off-white bushings and they're a harder durometer than the older Ace bushings. Swap 'em out with Krux and you'll be set.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #408 on: August 22, 2016, 03:00:50 PM »
That's shitty to hear about the 38's I love hearing about new ideas and when they aren't great it's a bummer.....

jamersonbass

« Reply #409 on: August 22, 2016, 05:16:14 PM »
Just setup my 44's with the Krux aftermarket's...

Holy shit.  I've never felt a turn quite like it.  Made the mistake of warming up at a manual spot I frequent.  I kept finding myself wrenching down on the kingpin trying to get some sense of stability.  Went to a bank spot and struggled more, though I felt like it was getting better.  Ended up at a ledge spot and by then I was starting to get hooked on the turn.

Magic carpet is an understatement.  I used to ride Indy 149's "finger tight" and those pale in comparison to the turn on these.  Went to Thunder 149 II's afterwards and eventually got used to them and came to love them.  I need more time on these, but at the very least, they'll make for a sweet cruiser setup.

How many of you Ace guys skate street mostly?

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #410 on: August 22, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »

Street only. I don't have the Krux aftermarkets but Aces are working just fine. Definitely considering switching to those bushings

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #411 on: August 22, 2016, 08:11:59 PM »
I'm about to jump into this Krux Bushings Bandwagon. How short is the top Krux bushings compare to Ace? I just want put the nut on till it levels out at the last thread in. I don't want to have even a hint of kingpin sticking out of the nut.

learned the hard way when i first made the switch and i used Bones bushings on Ace's. It gives you the Matt Rodriguez loose trucks to where it shackles and you see the top bushing moving up and down. This throws off the geometry of the truck by a huge margin and also ruins not just the pivot cup bushing but also the hole it keeps it on. my front truck had it's pivot hole stretch to the point that the hanger either slips out or it takes a chunk of the pivot base plate piece.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #412 on: August 22, 2016, 09:44:52 PM »
I'm about to jump into this Krux Bushings Bandwagon. How short is the top Krux bushings compare to Ace? I just want put the nut on till it levels out at the last thread in. I don't want to have even a hint of kingpin sticking out of the nut.
The krux top bushing is just a hair shorter than the ace bushings. I don't know the exact measurement but it's probably about a millimeter.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #413 on: August 23, 2016, 12:20:43 AM »

I skate street only.
I ride them with stock bottom and medium bones top, but I'm considering trying that krux thing that everybody's talking about.

All redesigns come with foggy off-white bushings and they're a harder durometer than the older Ace bushings. Swap 'em out with Krux and you'll be set.

I'm confused now...
My two pairs are redesigned (I mean beefed up hanger), but the newest pair are .38 specials.
The newest pair have clear white bushing, and the older have off-white bushings.

I can't get Krux bushings in France, shipping rates are ridiculously high, so I will skate them with stock bottom and Bones top.

I can't feel the duro difference by hand, so which one should I keep, the white or the off-white ?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:11:24 AM by Thomas »

BMCsteve

« Reply #414 on: August 23, 2016, 06:31:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skate street only.
I ride them with stock bottom and medium bones top, but I'm considering trying that krux thing that everybody's talking about.

Expand Quote
[close]

I'm confused now...
My two pairs are redesigned (I mean beefed up hanger), but the newest pair are .38 specials.
The newest pair have clear white bushing, and the older have off-white bushings.

I can't get Krux bushings in France, shipping rates are ridiculously high, so I will skate them with stock bottom and Bones top.

I can't feel the duro difference by hand, so which one should I keep, the white or the off-white ?

They are probably the exact same bushings.  Urethane color can vary based on a thousand different factors.  It doesn't mean that one is harder than the other

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #415 on: August 23, 2016, 06:41:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skate street only.

Expand Quote
[close]

I'm confused now...

If you want to buy krux bushings go to Titus skateshop webstore, they usually have everything and they ship from germany so thats maybe 5 euros for shipping.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Main

« Reply #416 on: August 23, 2016, 08:40:38 AM »
Yes, the Krux top bushing is just slightly shorter than an Ace stock, but it's fine, you just have to turn the nut a few more times to keep it secure. They'll be nice and loose and you'll have the best turn in da bidniz.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #417 on: August 23, 2016, 11:22:21 AM »
My local shop has the Krux bushings for 9€. I live in Finland. They seem to charge 20€ for international shipping, which is outrageous for bushings. I could go get them and mail them to you in an envelope if you can't find them elsewhere for a sensible price. Dunno how much mailing a letter to France would be, but should be a lot less than 20€ at least.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #418 on: August 23, 2016, 11:54:24 AM »
My local shop has the Krux bushings for 9�. I live in Finland. They seem to charge 20� for international shipping, which is outrageous for bushings. I could go get them and mail them to you in an envelope if you can't find them elsewhere for a sensible price. Dunno how much mailing a letter to France would be, but should be a lot less than 20� at least.

Which one, you live in turku right?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #419 on: August 23, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=48056.msg2540206#msg2540206 date=1471978464
Expand Quote
My local shop has the Krux bushings for 9�. I live in Finland. They seem to charge 20� for international shipping, which is outrageous for bushings. I could go get them and mail them to you in an envelope if you can't find them elsewhere for a sensible price. Dunno how much mailing a letter to France would be, but should be a lot less than 20� at least.
[close]

Which one, you live in turku right?

Dylan's Trading

At least they've got them on their website. Haven't asked in the shop.