Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 116458 times)

Thomas

• Rep: -1
  • no pop no style
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #390 on: August 10, 2016, 11:53:16 PM »
Anybody experienced loose kingpin on Aces ?
Got my 44 for 2 months and my front truck got a loose kingpin...

Yep. Happened to me with two sets in a row. I'm trying ACE one last time. This time keeping stock bushings or using Krux which will maintain stock geometry. Before, I had Bones in them which are too short and put added stress on the kingpin and pivot.

I was also riding bones, with both washers.
I just ordered a new pair, this time I will ride them all stock as you suggested...

Is this issue supported by Ace warranty ?

Ace plates are forged, right?

If you like wiggle loose trucks, does it even matter if the kingpin wiggles?

The only thing I know is that the feeling is really weird, but of course it is skatable...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

BMCsteve

« Reply #391 on: August 11, 2016, 07:04:19 AM »
if you have cast (non forged) baseplates and ride loose you are likely to get the wobbly kingpings at some point.  Ace, Indy, Thunder, etc all have this issue.  The cast baseplates are softer than forged.  Combine that with the even softer Ace china metal, it's bound to happen

Ace plates are forged, right?

If you like wiggle loose trucks, does it even matter if the kingpin wiggles?

Ace baseplates are cast.  Loose kingpins are still skateable but the board is less stable and the looser you skate your trucks the less stable it will be

N.L.

« Reply #392 on: August 11, 2016, 07:37:51 AM »
well that's a given.

ace base plates look  very similar to forged BPs.

ah well, yet to happen to me and i ride just tight of wobble loose. i thought one was wobbling once but took the hanger off to check and it was fine. it did happen on an indy once so i just re-inserted the kingpin and it stayed tight thereafter. no damage to the hole. double-entendres are flying right now.

Main

• Rep: -206
« Reply #393 on: August 11, 2016, 08:51:59 AM »
I was also riding bones, with both washers.
I just ordered a new pair, this time I will ride them all stock as you suggested...

Is this issue supported by Ace warranty?

I'm not sure, you could email him and see.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #394 on: August 12, 2016, 12:31:52 AM »
I tried to re-insert the kingpin a couple of times yesterday, but at the end it always wiggles.
So I emailed Ace and this is their answer :

Dear Thomas,

At Ace we take our trucks and our warranty very seriously. If you have any
issues with your Ace trucks, please send them to us along with a letter
explaining your concerns and containing your return shipping address for
replacement.

ACE c / o Warranty
1710 Cordova Street
Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA

Best Regards,

-ACE-

I ordered a new pair of Ace 44 on SoCal, as soon as I'll get them, I will send the defective truck to Ace and see what happen...
I'm not going to hate on the quality, I switched from Indys to Aces because I had three sets of trucks with axle slipping in a row on my 149's...

layzieyez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #395 on: August 12, 2016, 05:14:17 AM »
My indy axles are slipping again. This is probably why I've never managed to grind a set down to the axle. They always slipped before and I guess they still haven't figured out how to keep it from happening.
I take everything I said back. The board hit me in the nuts for the first time ever today, because i was wearing these shits.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 11
« Reply #396 on: August 12, 2016, 08:04:07 AM »
Just got my 44's from SoCal and they're the goddamn 38 specials. Oh wel, I've got some old nuts I can throw on. Looking forward to trying them.

Main

« Reply #397 on: August 12, 2016, 05:45:45 PM »
After suffering through these stock Ace bushings for a week, I finally got some Krux in the mail today. Once the rain dried up I cruised around and got to experience these magnificent motherfuckers. Fuck Bones bushings, Krux in Ace's are the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. The top Krux bushing is shorter than an Ace stock which doesn't really matter, but just letting everyone know.

I really don't understand why Joey decided to put such restrictive stock bushings in the redesigns. They make Ace's very hard to turn and it prevents them from performing how they are supposed to be right out of the gate. Now with the Krux bushings, they have that good ol' amazing responsiveness and just an unbeatable turn, while being able to maintain stock geometry. Just hope my kingpins don't come loose again...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #398 on: August 13, 2016, 06:13:07 PM »
After suffering through these stock Ace bushings for a week, I finally got some Krux in the mail today. Once the rain dried up I cruised around and got to experience these magnificent motherfuckers. Fuck Bones bushings, Krux in Ace's are the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. The top Krux bushing is shorter than an Ace stock which doesn't really matter, but just letting everyone know.

I really don't understand why Joey decided to put such restrictive stock bushings in the redesigns. They make Ace's very hard to turn and it prevents them from performing how they are supposed to be right out of the gate. Now with the Krux bushings, they have that good ol' amazing responsiveness and just an unbeatable turn, while being able to maintain stock geometry. Just hope my kingpins don't come loose again...

Ankle is griefing me so I setup my ACEs to just carve around the park bowls today (no tricks!), Bones med/krux pins. So good, I'm afraid to jump back on thunders again, as I know I'll feel that 'struggle' whereas the aces are just butter.

Main

« Reply #399 on: August 13, 2016, 08:59:17 PM »
Thought you had the Krux bushings, Xen? You should use those instead of Bones, keeping stock geometry is important I've learned. I experimented today and noticed that either Ace stock bottoms or the Krux bottoms perform about the same as long as you use Krux tops. It's that hard Ace top bushing that really restricts the turn most of all.

ferraveemo

• Rep: -3
« Reply #400 on: August 13, 2016, 09:57:13 PM »
I've seen a bunch of people at my Local skatepark that skates in Ace's and they have the stock top bushing and Bones Medium or Soft on the Bottom. Can anyone confirm if that's still too short for the specified geometry?

Main

« Reply #401 on: August 13, 2016, 11:32:48 PM »
I've seen a bunch of people at my Local skatepark that skates in Ace's and they have the stock top bushing and Bones Medium or Soft on the Bottom. Can anyone confirm if that's still too short for the specified geometry?

I've put a bottom Bones bushing next to an Ace stock with and without the washer underneath and it's always shorter than the Ace.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #402 on: August 14, 2016, 01:09:31 AM »
I experimented today and noticed that either Ace stock bottoms or the Krux bottoms perform about the same as long as you use Krux tops. It's that hard Ace top bushing that really restricts the turn most of all.
I hated the stock bushing at first too but I decided to try and actually break them in and I feel like they work pretty much the same as the Krux bushings once they're broke in nicely. That's just my good for nothing opinion.

obZen

• Rep: -3
« Reply #403 on: August 14, 2016, 01:59:09 AM »
I'm at a point where I'm super anal about how my trucks fit on my board, and I've decided that 8.5 boards are not for me. Just too much real estate under the foot, and 149 indys on 8.25 just seems to throw off my 360 flips a lot compared to when I was riding krux 8.25 trucks for a bit, seems like I have to jump a lot more because the wider trucks slow the rotation down enough to mess with my fat ass. I know that they aren't 8.25 exact, but I'm hoping maybe it will be close enough to not screw with me.

Have they done much about the issue with these bending on some people? Because I'm very heavy, at a little over 200 lbs and I'm worried that if people less than 200 were bending them, then I am almost sure to.

jamersonbass

« Reply #404 on: August 14, 2016, 08:00:26 AM »
Have they done much about the issue with these bending on some people? Because I'm very heavy, at a little over 200 lbs and I'm worried that if people less than 200 were bending them, then I am almost sure to.

They beefed up the hangers on 44's and up.  I've had gigs every night this weekend so I haven't been able to try mine out yet.

Main

« Reply #405 on: August 14, 2016, 09:22:11 AM »
You can bend an axle and/or get axle slip on pretty much any truck. It still happens to people's Indy's and Thunder's more often than one would think. Ace aren't any worse or better in that department. I wouldn't worry about it, just grab some 44 redesigns and you'll most likely be fine.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #406 on: August 15, 2016, 11:37:32 PM »
I'm at a point where I'm super anal about how my trucks fit on my board, and I've decided that 8.5 boards are not for me. Just too much real estate under the foot, and 149 indys on 8.25 just seems to throw off my 360 flips a lot compared to when I was riding krux 8.25 trucks for a bit, seems like I have to jump a lot more because the wider trucks slow the rotation down enough to mess with my fat ass. I know that they aren't 8.25� exact, but I'm hoping maybe it will be close enough to not screw with me.

Regarding the fitting of trucks on boards, I'm on Ace 44 with 8.25, and I put two speed rings outside of the wheels, nothing inside.
Maybe it's just mental but it feels like flip tricks are easier...

For the bending "issue", I'm quite light but I guess it can happend with every trucks brand...

jamersonbass

« Reply #407 on: August 17, 2016, 06:01:01 PM »
Finally got around to setting up my 44's.  My initial thoughts are that I like the height and the way that they grind, but the bushings are super firm.  I'm planning on riding out the dreaded break in period, but do you Ace guys find that the Krux bushings are similar to Indy after markets in that they require way less break in time?  If so I'll gladly pick some up.  If not, I'm just going to stick it out with the stock bushings.  They weren't as surfy as I expected first go, but I'm hoping once the bushings get broken in that will change.

Main

« Reply #408 on: August 17, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »
Finally got around to setting up my 44's.  My initial thoughts are that I like the height and the way that they grind, but the bushings are super firm.  I'm planning on riding out the dreaded break in period, but do you Ace guys find that the Krux bushings are similar to Indy after markets in that they require way less break in time?  If so I'll gladly pick some up.  If not, I'm just going to stick it out with the stock bushings.  They weren't as surfy as I expected first go, but I'm hoping once the bushings get broken in that will change.

Dude the Krux bushings are perfect right when you throw 'em in the Ace's. Get 'em ASAP. Breaking in the Ace bushings suck, and it takes a long time. They're way too hard.

N.L.

« Reply #409 on: August 17, 2016, 09:02:26 PM »
Everyone is right about the Krux bushings in Ace. Its a perfect combo. On 44s, I use both Krux bushings. On 55s I use stock Ace bottom and top Krux.

No idea if Indys of the same duro work as well or not...

Main

« Reply #410 on: August 18, 2016, 01:27:53 AM »
Everyone is right about the Krux bushings in Ace. Its a perfect combo. On 44s, I use both Krux bushings. On 55s I use stock Ace bottom and top Krux.

No idea if Indys of the same duro work as well or not...

Krux are NHS, so I would imagine the aftermarket bushings come from the same factory as the Indy aftermarkets. But it would only be smart to use an Indy top in Aces, since the bottoms are too short.

jamersonbass

« Reply #411 on: August 18, 2016, 05:22:45 AM »
I was just referencing the Indy after markets as far break in time goes.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 49
« Reply #412 on: August 18, 2016, 02:42:41 PM »
Are Ace's taller than a normal Indy?
"fucking wheel feel off"

GOATMOON

« Reply #413 on: August 18, 2016, 02:45:22 PM »
Are Ace's taller than a normal Indy?

They're 2mm lower

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #414 on: August 22, 2016, 02:34:10 AM »
Received my new Ace from SoCal to replace my loose kingpin.
I was surprised to see it was .38 specials... These nuts looks cheap and I immediately replaced them with standard ones.

It seems that they changed the formula of stock bushings or something, because they are not as white as the old one.
Maybe it changes from one batch to another, I don't know...

I'm going to send my "old" baseplate with loose kingpin to Ace and see what happen.

Main

« Reply #415 on: August 22, 2016, 11:20:16 AM »
Received my new Ace from SoCal to replace my loose kingpin.
I was surprised to see it was .38 specials... These nuts looks cheap and I immediately replaced them with standard ones.

It seems that they changed the formula of stock bushings or something, because they are not as white as the old one.
Maybe it changes from one batch to another, I don't know...

I'm going to send my "old" baseplate with loose kingpin to Ace and see what happen.

All redesigns come with foggy off-white bushings and they're a harder durometer than the older Ace bushings. Swap 'em out with Krux and you'll be set.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #416 on: August 22, 2016, 03:00:50 PM »
That's shitty to hear about the 38's I love hearing about new ideas and when they aren't great it's a bummer.....

jamersonbass

« Reply #417 on: August 22, 2016, 05:16:14 PM »
Just setup my 44's with the Krux aftermarket's...

Holy shit.  I've never felt a turn quite like it.  Made the mistake of warming up at a manual spot I frequent.  I kept finding myself wrenching down on the kingpin trying to get some sense of stability.  Went to a bank spot and struggled more, though I felt like it was getting better.  Ended up at a ledge spot and by then I was starting to get hooked on the turn.

Magic carpet is an understatement.  I used to ride Indy 149's "finger tight" and those pale in comparison to the turn on these.  Went to Thunder 149 II's afterwards and eventually got used to them and came to love them.  I need more time on these, but at the very least, they'll make for a sweet cruiser setup.

How many of you Ace guys skate street mostly?

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #418 on: August 22, 2016, 06:22:49 PM »

Been riding Indys for a long time. I've never felt comfortable on stage 11s because of their height (missing the pop on nollie flips/heels/etc). I've had a set of Ace for a few months and it's been smooth sailing ever since. I've got set of Thunders to try, too, but I'm not sure if I'll get to them because the Aces are real nice. I haven't changed the bushings yet, but I did buy some Krux bushings that I'll use later.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #419 on: August 22, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »

Street only. I don't have the Krux aftermarkets but Aces are working just fine. Definitely considering switching to those bushings