Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739034 times)

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #450 on: September 24, 2016, 08:31:09 PM »
were the 38 specials part of the redesign?

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Ace_38_Specials_Hi_Trucks/descpage-AC38HTK.html

Nah, the redesigns happened late 2015. They just started officially putting 38's on newer production is all.

Mongoloid

« Reply #451 on: September 25, 2016, 10:45:27 AM »
It appears warehouseskateboards has the magnesium baseplates in stock.

I just purchased a couple sets.

Main

« Reply #452 on: September 25, 2016, 11:11:41 AM »

Holy. Fuck. Thank you.

Mongoloid

« Reply #453 on: September 25, 2016, 11:39:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Holy. Fuck. Thank you.

You're welcome man! The stock bushings on my transition board are finally broken in, and man am I ever loving these trucks all the more each session.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #454 on: September 25, 2016, 12:27:53 PM »
I have a board I mainly skate miniramps.....I have it set up with thunders cause I don't want to carve.....

Main

« Reply #455 on: September 25, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Holy. Fuck. Thank you.
[close]

You're welcome man! The stock bushings on my transition board are finally broken in, and man am I ever loving these trucks all the more each session.

Good to hear! Still gotta get yourself some Krux bushings though dog, them shits is fire.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #456 on: September 25, 2016, 03:26:18 PM »
I would be down to try those magnesium baseplates if they weren't anodized.  I can't deal with non silver trucks, which is kind of petty.  On another note, I've been running Krux bottom bushings with Ace top bushings in my newish 44's, and think the stock bushings are pretty decent if you take the time to break them in.

Main

« Reply #457 on: September 25, 2016, 04:57:53 PM »
I would be down to try those magnesium baseplates if they weren't anodized.  I can't deal with non silver trucks, which is kind of petty.  On another note, I've been running Krux bottom bushings with Ace top bushings in my newish 44's, and think the stock bushings are pretty decent if you take the time to break them in.

Dude use a Krux top, there's no break in needed. Ace's top bushing is too tall and hard of a durometer it takes forever.

Main

« Reply #458 on: September 27, 2016, 12:44:32 AM »
Of course, right when I get my money situated and am ready to order the mag plates, warehouseskateboards no longer has them on there. I guess it's a sign?

Mongoloid

« Reply #459 on: September 27, 2016, 07:39:21 AM »
Yeah I just got issued a full refund on the mag plates. It must have been an error on the site.. fucking bummer.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #460 on: September 27, 2016, 07:40:52 AM »
Of course, right when I get my money situated and am ready to order the mag plates, warehouseskateboards no longer has them on there. I guess it's a sign?

Damn, I would have scooped up a pair or two.

Main

« Reply #461 on: September 27, 2016, 07:48:33 AM »
Yeah I just got issued a full refund on the mag plates. It must have been an error on the site.. fucking bummer.

Hmm...Ok, that makes a little more sense now. They've not had mag plates in production for awhile now, and I didn't understand why only warehouseskateboards had them in stock all the sudden. Welp, there goes that haha.

BMCsteve

« Reply #462 on: September 27, 2016, 08:56:28 AM »
I suspect Ace stopped making the Mag baseplates because they have kingpin issues with their aluminum baseplates.  Magnesium is softer than aluminum so its likely that kingpins were getting wobbly in the mag plates even quicker than the aluminum ones

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #463 on: September 27, 2016, 09:17:54 AM »
I suspect Ace stopped making the Mag baseplates because they have kingpin issues with their aluminum baseplates.  Magnesium is softer than aluminum so its likely that kingpins were getting wobbly in the mag plates even quicker than the aluminum ones

The mag plates did get wobbly over time, that's why I swapped to Krux pins, no more wobble and still able to be ridden loose with the added benefit of lower grind clearance, something soft bushing cranked down (to keep the wobble at bay) couldn't do.

darbuzz

• Rep: 2
« Reply #464 on: September 28, 2016, 07:04:54 AM »
The shop I work in has a set in stock still If you dont mind paying the shippig from Ireland I can put them on the site to order if youd like.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #465 on: September 28, 2016, 09:57:18 AM »
The shop I work in has a set in stock still If you dont mind paying the shippig from Ireland I can put them on the site to order if youd like.

Hi or Lo?

Really wish I could get a set of lows!

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #466 on: September 28, 2016, 10:08:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The mag plates did get wobbly over time, that's why I swapped to Krux pins, no more wobble and still able to be ridden loose with the added benefit of lower grind clearance, something soft bushing cranked down (to keep the wobble at bay) couldn't do.

What would changing the kingpin have to do with preventing wobble? They wobble because the hole gets blown out in the baseplate. If anything the added stress of changing a kingpin would exacerbate the problem.
you never know about pre-cum 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #467 on: September 28, 2016, 11:18:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What would changing the kingpin have to do with preventing wobble? They wobble because the hole gets blown out in the baseplate. If anything the added stress of changing a kingpin would exacerbate the problem.

The krux is a reverse kingpin, i.e. the nut is in the plate and can be secured with expoxy or whatever, or the plate can be tight enough so the nut doesn't move, thereby keeping the pin from spinning/wobbling...

If you ride tight as trucks it shouldn't matter, but loose it would.

Main

« Reply #468 on: September 29, 2016, 12:10:06 PM »

Is the shop you work in, "The Boardroom"? Are the kingpins silver? Because those would be the hi's and I'm definitely interested as long as the shipping isn't too crazy.

darbuzz

• Rep: 2
« Reply #469 on: September 30, 2016, 09:54:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is the shop you work in, "The Boardroom"? Are the kingpins silver? Because those would be the hi's and I'm definitely interested as long as the shipping isn't too crazy.

Nah,Im in "Highrollers" and yea they have silver kingpins, wherabouts are you?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #470 on: September 30, 2016, 07:12:34 PM »
I got some all black 44s for a good price, but they're not the redesigns. Can I use the redesign hangers on the old Ace baseplates and vice versa (I want to run black hangers with raw baseplates)? I'm guessing yes, since the redesign meant a beefed up hanger, not a change in the geometry right?

Also, did Ace introduce new bushings with the redesigns? By appearance I can't see a difference between the bushings from the old 44s and the new 44s.

You should be fine mixing them. As far as the bushings go, the old bushings I had to run 3 kingpin threads showing to not die. The redesign bushings I had to go a full turn loose from flush to get them to respond.

Main

« Reply #471 on: September 30, 2016, 07:49:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nah,Im in "Highrollers" and yea they have silver kingpins, wherabouts are you?

USA

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #472 on: October 02, 2016, 03:35:18 AM »
Decided to take the Thunder 149s off my regular board and set up the Ace 44s I had on my cruiser. First thing I noticed was that the Aces extend the wheelbase quite a bit compared to the Thunders. Other than that, they feel really good. I skated my Thunders quite loose but I prefer these Aces medium tight as they still turn really well. Pretty hyped on them. The hangar looks so nice.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #473 on: October 02, 2016, 11:35:03 AM »

Expand Quote
Decided to take the Thunder 149s off my regular board and set up the Ace 44s I had on my cruiser. First thing I noticed was that the Aces extend the wheelbase quite a bit compared to the Thunders. Other than that, they feel really good. I skated my Thunders quite loose but I prefer these Aces medium tight as they still turn really well. Pretty hyped on them. The hangar looks so nice.
[close]

I thought Ace shorten the wheelbase. I tried some Thunders and the wheelbase felt different compared to Indy and Ace. The Thunders must have made the wheelbase longer because the pop on everything felt delayed.

Thats what I thought too, but it seems like these Aces definitely push out the wheelbase a bit compared to my Thunders. I'll try to post some comparison pics tonight.

ZEBRA

« Reply #474 on: October 02, 2016, 04:01:21 PM »
I'm really wanting to try a set of ACE's. They have one with a 8.25 axle, yeah?? That's what's got me interested....

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #475 on: October 02, 2016, 04:22:20 PM »
I'm really wanting to try a set of ACE's. They have one with a 8.25 axle, yeah?? That's what's got me interested....
Ace 44=8.38

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #476 on: October 02, 2016, 09:01:45 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

I thought Ace shorten the wheelbase. I tried some Thunders and the wheelbase felt different compared to Indy and Ace. The Thunders must have made the wheelbase longer because the pop on everything felt delayed.
[close]

Thats what I thought too, but it seems like these Aces definitely push out the wheelbase a bit compared to my Thunders. I'll try to post some comparison pics tonight.
Unless you have some strange prototype ace's that nobody else has, this is impossible.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #477 on: October 03, 2016, 12:14:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Unless you have some strange prototype ace's that nobody else has, this is impossible.

False alarm. I just checked again. I was looking at the mounting holes and baseplate instead of the axle which is where the wheels are mounted -.- oops. They definitely shorten the wheelbase, my bad.

ZEBRA

« Reply #478 on: October 03, 2016, 02:34:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Ace 44=8.38

What size are the 33's??

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #479 on: October 03, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »