Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 115941 times)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #480 on: September 30, 2016, 07:12:34 PM »
I got some all black 44s for a good price, but they're not the redesigns. Can I use the redesign hangers on the old Ace baseplates and vice versa (I want to run black hangers with raw baseplates)? I'm guessing yes, since the redesign meant a beefed up hanger, not a change in the geometry right?

Also, did Ace introduce new bushings with the redesigns? By appearance I can't see a difference between the bushings from the old 44s and the new 44s.

You should be fine mixing them. As far as the bushings go, the old bushings I had to run 3 kingpin threads showing to not die. The redesign bushings I had to go a full turn loose from flush to get them to respond.
you never know about pre-cum 

Main

• Rep: -206
« Reply #481 on: September 30, 2016, 07:49:13 PM »
The shop I work in has a set in stock still If you dont mind paying the shippig from Ireland I can put them on the site to order if youd like.

Is the shop you work in, "The Boardroom"? Are the kingpins silver? Because those would be the hi's and I'm definitely interested as long as the shipping isn't too crazy.

Nah,Im in "Highrollers" and yea they have silver kingpins, wherabouts are you?

USA

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #482 on: October 02, 2016, 03:35:18 AM »
Decided to take the Thunder 149s off my regular board and set up the Ace 44s I had on my cruiser. First thing I noticed was that the Aces extend the wheelbase quite a bit compared to the Thunders. Other than that, they feel really good. I skated my Thunders quite loose but I prefer these Aces medium tight as they still turn really well. Pretty hyped on them. The hangar looks so nice.

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #483 on: October 02, 2016, 04:51:13 AM »
I got some all black 44s for a good price, but they're not the redesigns. Can I use the redesign hangers on the old Ace baseplates and vice versa (I want to run black hangers with raw baseplates)? I'm guessing yes, since the redesign meant a beefed up hanger, not a change in the geometry right?

Also, did Ace introduce new bushings with the redesigns? By appearance I can't see a difference between the bushings from the old 44s and the new 44s.

You should be fine mixing them. As far as the bushings go, the old bushings I had to run 3 kingpin threads showing to not die. The redesign bushings I had to go a full turn loose from flush to get them to respond.

Awesome, thanks. So far I've had no problems with the updated stock bushings, so I might just keep running them.

Decided to take the Thunder 149s off my regular board and set up the Ace 44s I had on my cruiser. First thing I noticed was that the Aces extend the wheelbase quite a bit compared to the Thunders. Other than that, they feel really good. I skated my Thunders quite loose but I prefer these Aces medium tight as they still turn really well. Pretty hyped on them. The hangar looks so nice.

I thought Ace shorten the wheelbase. I tried some Thunders and the wheelbase felt different compared to Indy and Ace. The Thunders must have made the wheelbase longer because the pop on everything felt delayed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 04:59:07 AM by clamy »

tzhangdox

« Reply #484 on: October 02, 2016, 11:35:03 AM »

I thought Ace shorten the wheelbase. I tried some Thunders and the wheelbase felt different compared to Indy and Ace. The Thunders must have made the wheelbase longer because the pop on everything felt delayed.

Thats what I thought too, but it seems like these Aces definitely push out the wheelbase a bit compared to my Thunders. I'll try to post some comparison pics tonight.

ZEBRA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #485 on: October 02, 2016, 04:01:21 PM »
I'm really wanting to try a set of ACE's. They have one with a 8.25 axle, yeah?? That's what's got me interested....
Shopping at Zumiez.....

Look motherfuck, I just want to buy my "Purple Drank" shirt and get the fuck out so I can get home in time to steal some Virginia Slims from my mom before she gets home from work.

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #486 on: October 02, 2016, 04:22:20 PM »
I'm really wanting to try a set of ACE's. They have one with a 8.25 axle, yeah?? That's what's got me interested....
Ace 44=8.38

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #487 on: October 02, 2016, 09:01:45 PM »

Thats what I thought too, but it seems like these Aces definitely push out the wheelbase a bit compared to my Thunders. I'll try to post some comparison pics tonight.
Unless you have some strange prototype ace's that nobody else has, this is impossible.

tzhangdox

« Reply #488 on: October 03, 2016, 12:14:48 AM »

Unless you have some strange prototype ace's that nobody else has, this is impossible.

False alarm. I just checked again. I was looking at the mounting holes and baseplate instead of the axle which is where the wheels are mounted -.- oops. They definitely shorten the wheelbase, my bad.

ZEBRA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #489 on: October 03, 2016, 02:34:20 PM »
Ace 44=8.38

What size are the 33's??
Shopping at Zumiez.....

Look motherfuck, I just want to buy my "Purple Drank" shirt and get the fuck out so I can get home in time to steal some Virginia Slims from my mom before she gets home from work.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • Dopeness
« Reply #490 on: October 03, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -3
« Reply #491 on: October 03, 2016, 04:15:30 PM »
What are 55s? I know it's either 8.75 or 8.875, but which one is it?
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Main

« Reply #492 on: October 03, 2016, 04:18:10 PM »
55's are 8.875

ZEBRA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #493 on: October 03, 2016, 08:48:55 PM »
Shopping at Zumiez.....

Adam Abbas

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #494 on: October 03, 2016, 09:07:23 PM »
Will be the next pair I buy.
You're hollerin' Don Fisher

I'm screamin' Buddy Carr

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #495 on: October 04, 2016, 05:51:54 AM »

Thank you!

It doesn't really matter but they're 7.875. I guess it's mostly a visual thing I guess but it looks/feels different than regular indy 139's.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #496 on: October 04, 2016, 11:04:31 PM »
As much as I've been liking my ace's, I think I pretty much have to go back to thunders.

It's all about that geometry. Ace has that creamy buttery turn but can feel a little unstable. thunders turn is more of a tilt.. but I feel a lot more confident with the axles farther forward (as apposed to the axles being right under the baseplate).

I thought I could compensate by riding bigger decks, but I'm not going over 8.5, and hunting down WB numbers is a drag.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #497 on: October 05, 2016, 06:17:43 AM »
How far do Thunders push out the wheelbase compared to Ace or Indy?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #498 on: October 05, 2016, 05:11:24 PM »
As much as I've been liking my ace's, I think I pretty much have to go back to thunders.

It's all about that geometry. Ace has that creamy buttery turn but can feel a little unstable. thunders turn is more of a tilt.. but I feel a lot more confident with the axles farther forward (as apposed to the axles being right under the baseplate).

I thought I could compensate by riding bigger decks, but I'm not going over 8.5, and hunting down WB numbers is a drag.

The struggle is real, bro!

Zimmer

« Reply #499 on: October 06, 2016, 02:01:45 PM »
How far do Thunders push out the wheelbase compared to Ace or Indy?

I just picked up some 149 hollow lights today, I can try measuring it somehow.

Zimmer

« Reply #500 on: October 06, 2016, 08:19:34 PM »
From my eye ball estimate, going from ace 44 to thunder hollow lights adds almost an inch to the wheelbase. I couldn't find my tape measure!

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #501 on: October 09, 2016, 05:25:53 AM »

So it turns out you can't swap the hangers and baseplates if they're not both re-designs or the old designs. I had about 4 threads showing and they were insanely wobbly. Didn't try it with the bushings from the old designs, since I wanted to keep my trucks feeling worn in. It's like the bushings from the re-designs are too short for the old baseplates. Looks like I'm going to have to sell the black Aces or strip them down to silver.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 05:47:53 AM by clamy »

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -3
« Reply #502 on: October 09, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »
From my eye ball estimate, going from ace 44 to thunder hollow lights adds almost an inch to the wheelbase. I couldn't find my tape measure!
Thunder hollow lights - 17.25
My ace base plates are shot, so I have my 44 hangers on indy stage 9 plates. Ace indy combo - 17 inches
Indy stage 11 - 17.375
Venture lows - 17.625
All measurements are from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle on a board with a 14 inch wheelbase.
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

ZEBRA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #503 on: October 09, 2016, 02:13:44 PM »

Thank you!

It doesn't really matter but they're 7.875. I guess it's mostly a visual thing I guess but it looks/feels different than regular indy 139's.

Oh no, that matters to be. There's a good difference between the 33's and 44's then. Will be trying the 44's more than likely then
Shopping at Zumiez.....

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #504 on: October 12, 2016, 09:36:33 PM »

Thank you!

Oh no, that matters to be. There's a good difference between the 33's and 44's then. Will be trying the 44's more than likely then

ahaha idk man, the ace 03 i have fit perfect on my real 8.12. doesnt look under the width or anything. literally flush with the axle on an 8.12
yes

MonistatOne

« Reply #505 on: October 13, 2016, 07:29:57 AM »
Apologies if already stated in this thread, but does anyone know if Ace are made in USA?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #506 on: October 13, 2016, 08:00:12 AM »
Apologies if already stated in this thread, but does anyone know if Ace are made in USA?
They are not.

BMCsteve

« Reply #507 on: October 13, 2016, 08:39:53 AM »
They are not.

DaveFuck

• Rep: 34
« Reply #508 on: November 06, 2016, 01:36:30 PM »
So is the switch from indy to these worth it?

Main

« Reply #509 on: November 06, 2016, 04:32:53 PM »
So is the switch from indy to these worth it?

Yeah.