Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 738921 times)

Zimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -9
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #510 on: November 07, 2016, 08:05:38 PM »
44's really are perfect in width now that they're just a tiny bit more than 8.25. Don't notice any difference compared to Indy 149's.

If only Ace stepped up their quality control, and moved their production to USA. They could possibly be the best truck...ever.

+1 I'm crossing my fingers. If Ace can shape up, I'll probably alternate between thunder and ace till I die.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #511 on: November 07, 2016, 10:37:46 PM »
ha I think those are the only 2 trucks I'm gonna alternate from now for life, I mean probably gonna ride ace til death but if anything comes up thunder is always a top choice
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #512 on: November 08, 2016, 02:51:35 PM »
44's really are perfect in width now that they're just a tiny bit more than 8.25. Don't notice any difference compared to Indy 149's.

If only Ace stepped up their quality control, and moved their production to USA. They could possibly be the best truck...ever.

And bring back mag plates/make a low in 8.25.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #513 on: November 08, 2016, 02:52:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Anything else?
you never know about pre-cum 

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #514 on: November 08, 2016, 04:21:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Anything else?
Titanium axles?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #515 on: November 08, 2016, 04:46:43 PM »

Isn't just over 8.25 a weird size?  Wouldn't 8.25 on the nose be better? 

I can see the quality becoming more consistent....made in the USA....never....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #516 on: November 08, 2016, 06:40:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ACE have weird sizing for sure.

They don't have a true 8" (it's like 7.866t2376457265473254 or some shit), 44s are 8.38 (so great for 8.125/8.25/8.38, but feel a bit narrow at the 8.5 range and 55s are too damn wide for anything under their real size.

There isn't enough market for them. Theeve are arguably a better truck from a manu pov and the V1/v2 feel the same as ACE do (prototype theeves ran ACE plates ;) If they weren't almost $200 bucks a set I'd ride the tih.

Indy and Thunder dominate their respective styles, they have a legacy and people are reluctant to try new shit.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #517 on: November 08, 2016, 08:39:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They don't have a true 8" (it's like 7.866t2376457265473254 or some shit), 44s are 8.38 (so great for 8.125/8.25/8.38, but feel a bit narrow at the 8.5 range and 55s are too damn wide for anything under their real size.

There isn't enough market for them. Theeve are arguably a better truck from a manu pov and the V1/v2 feel the same as ACE do (prototype theeves ran ACE plates ;) If they weren't almost $200 bucks a set I'd ride the tih.

Indy and Thunder dominate their respective styles, they have a legacy and people are reluctant to try new shit.

Ha yeah it's true I got the 03 and they're supposed to be 7.875 or something but truthfully I compared them with my 147 hi and 139 low and they were basically the same length beside the 147 being just a hair longer

But hey the 03 fit perfectly on my 8.125 chocolate, on my old 8 girl it was a hair but hotdogging
yes

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #518 on: November 08, 2016, 09:15:38 PM »
does anyone here skate 8.25s with Ace 44s? that's what I'm thinking of trying out soon. currently have Indy 139s on an 8.25.

N.L.

« Reply #519 on: November 08, 2016, 09:30:53 PM »

Totally agree. something half way between a 44 and 55 would be nice. say an 8 5/8" axle...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #520 on: November 08, 2016, 11:55:08 PM »
I just think the vast majority of boards go up by quarter inch increments.....why not trucks.....

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #521 on: November 09, 2016, 12:07:22 AM »
does anyone here skate 8.25s with Ace 44s? that's what I'm thinking of trying out soon. currently have Indy 139s on an 8.25.

Yes, it's perfect. I was riding 8.25 with Indy 149 before.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #522 on: November 09, 2016, 08:31:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

good to hear. I was a little worried about that .13 mm extra but it's probably not even noticeable.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #523 on: November 09, 2016, 12:13:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

good to hear. I was a little worried about that .13 mm extra but it's probably not even noticeable.

44s on an 8.25" are perfect.  A hair wider than 139/147/8" and enough under an 8.5" where you still don't see bolts sticking out.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #524 on: November 09, 2016, 03:09:04 PM »
I ran 44's on a 8.5 and it mildly annoyed me....

JAesop

« Reply #525 on: November 09, 2016, 03:21:22 PM »

I am on a 8.375 deck phase right now and anything bigger with 44's does seem weird.
Anybody experienced this one? Here is my situation... Set up some 44's with Krux bushings top and bottom and I skate them wobbly loose (nut even with kingpin top, basically one turn) and randomly I get a back to front " jump" or hiccup where it feels like the hanger pops forward or backward. It's more noticeable rolling fakie. Kingpin not loose and nothing bent. Bad pivot cup?

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #526 on: November 09, 2016, 07:32:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am on a 8.375 deck phase right now and anything bigger with 44's does seem weird.
Anybody experienced this one? Here is my situation... Set up some 44's with Krux bushings top and bottom and I skate them wobbly loose (nut even with kingpin top, basically one turn) and randomly I get a back to front " jump" or hiccup where it feels like the hanger pops forward or backward. It's more noticeable rolling fakie. Kingpin not loose and nothing bent. Bad pivot cup?

No, it's cause the hanger isn't securely locked into the baseplate all the way. Pull up on it with your hand and you'll see it slide up from the pivot point. That's how it goes with wobbly loose trucks.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #527 on: November 09, 2016, 07:33:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

went from thunder 149s to ace 44s, skate 8.5. I haven't noticed anything off in terms of truck width. How does it bother you guys?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #528 on: November 09, 2016, 10:05:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

went from thunder 149s to ace 44s, skate 8.5. I haven't noticed anything off in terms of truck width. How does it bother you guys?

Mental/OCD

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #529 on: November 09, 2016, 10:17:09 PM »
Two words....koo-koo....

I just like to maximize my truck and hate wheels sticking out....

JAesop

« Reply #530 on: November 10, 2016, 06:18:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Mental/OCD

ditto... Cannot see trucks from above ( maybe a little wheel nut ) or I can't skate. Also trucks cannot be too small and go all magic carpet ride. Everything else in my little world I am ok with. Except colored wheels. And white dipped boards. And colored grip tape. And red top stains or blue bottom stains. Everything is ok.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #531 on: November 12, 2016, 03:17:05 PM »
I have to ask. What exactly is a "magic carpet ride" in that context? The picture is not strong enough for me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #532 on: November 12, 2016, 03:55:01 PM »
Board too wide for trucks......what's trucks too wide for board?  Hot rod? 

That one is worse......I've always just felt same width...if you're riding a wider board...you should have the stability of a wide truck....if you are riding a narrowe board....you don't want clunky trucks......so you ride the same width....

sufodiv

• Rep: -5
« Reply #533 on: November 16, 2016, 05:04:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Mental/OCD
[close]

ditto... Cannot see trucks from above ( maybe a little wheel nut ) or I can't skate. Also trucks cannot be too small and go all magic carpet ride. Everything else in my little world I am ok with. Except colored wheels. And white dipped boards. And colored grip tape. And red top stains or blue bottom stains. Everything is ok.

I rode an 8.375 with 44s and hated it. 8.1/8.25 with 44s is ideal for me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #534 on: November 16, 2016, 09:51:23 PM »
44s on 8.18 is my new favourite combo.

I rocked that for while and was pleasantly surprised; couldn't even notice any axle nut overhang issue.

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #535 on: November 16, 2016, 10:29:11 PM »
I'm back on my second set of Aces. I went from Indy stage9's to Ace......wanted to try Indy stage 10's..... did..... and went back to Aces. It's like homecoming. I'll bounce from 8.25 to 8.38 with 44's and it works out dandy for me. I usually swap out to softer conical bushings but I'm almost thinking about going back to the stock ace bushings for a little more stability with the bottom barrel. (the older and heavier I get the less I need loose trucks I guess)

On both pairs I've had/currently have I always bend the axles a little but it doesn't bother me for some reason. If they could strengthen the axle without changing the hangar, that would be sick.

I like the way they look and its always cool to see some footy pop up with other ACE pilots.

They've been coming with smaller axle nuts that don't have the same plastic insert locking mechanism as before. It uses the same socket size as mounting hardware (10/32) and it IS still considered a "lock nut" just without the plastic. They're kinda cool just for flavor sake.

Your mom likes em'

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #536 on: November 19, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »
I'm back on my second set of Aces. I went from Indy stage9's to Ace......wanted to try Indy stage 10's..... did..... and went back to Aces. It's like homecoming. I'll bounce from 8.25 to 8.38 with 44's and it works out dandy for me. I usually swap out to softer conical bushings but I'm almost thinking about going back to the stock ace bushings for a little more stability with the bottom barrel. (the older and heavier I get the less I need loose trucks I guess)

On both pairs I've had/currently have I always bend the axles a little but it doesn't bother me for some reason. If they could strengthen the axle without changing the hangar, that would be sick.

I like the way they look and its always cool to see some footy pop up with other ACE pilots.

They've been coming with smaller axle nuts that don't have the same plastic insert locking mechanism as before. It uses the same socket size as mounting hardware (10/32) and it IS still considered a "lock nut" just without the plastic. They're kinda cool just for flavor sake.

Your mom likes em'

My guess is the alloy is just too soft, that's what the axle bends (not heard of the new designs bending yet); either get better alloy or give Ti Axles :P

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #537 on: November 19, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »
Someone claimed they've bent their newer designed Ace's but they haven't posted a picture yet. If it's you and you're reading this, do it.

Diocletian

« Reply #538 on: April 02, 2017, 07:23:26 PM »
Hello fellow SLAP pals. I usually just post stuff for sale on here but wanted to chime in on these "38 specials" axle nuts Ace has been hyping up and give my personal experience. I noticed when I first put the wheel on and tightened down the nut I could barely go more than a couple small turns or else the wheel wouldn't even spin, yet the nut was barely on the axle. Right off the bat I thought something was wrong with these. However, what I ended up doing is tightening down the nut a whole lot, so it was showing 2-3 threads on the outside and the wheel definitely could not even move, then I loosened them up and everything went back to normal. The nut was on the axle properly and locked, and the wheel with the axle washers on both sides spun like it should and still had just that tiny bit of play which I always do. So I think people may be having issues with these new nuts falling off because they don't do the trick I discovered, therefore it never locks onto the axle properly. Hope this helps, I skated for a long time today and they did not come loose, they seem legit. However, if they do start coming loose after many sessions I will report back.

N.L.

« Reply #539 on: April 02, 2017, 07:41:45 PM »
What you did was squeeze the bearings in properly. I always do this so they sit right in the wheel. Another thing you could do is only use the outside washer. As Ace have the tapered hangar you don't need an inside washer. That will also give you more thread... Just a thought....