Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 116656 times)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #540 on: November 09, 2016, 10:05:27 PM »
I ran 44's on a 8.5 and it mildly annoyed me....

I am on a 8.375 deck phase right now and anything bigger with 44's does seem weird.
Anybody experienced this one? Here is my situation... Set up some 44's with Krux bushings top and bottom and I skate them wobbly loose (nut even with kingpin top, basically one turn) and randomly I get a back to front " jump" or hiccup where it feels like the hanger pops forward or backward. It's more noticeable rolling fakie. Kingpin not loose and nothing bent. Bad pivot cup?

went from thunder 149s to ace 44s, skate 8.5. I haven't noticed anything off in terms of truck width. How does it bother you guys?

Mental/OCD

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #541 on: November 09, 2016, 10:17:09 PM »
Two words....koo-koo....

I just like to maximize my truck and hate wheels sticking out....

JAesop

« Reply #542 on: November 10, 2016, 06:18:06 PM »

I am on a 8.375 deck phase right now and anything bigger with 44's does seem weird.
Anybody experienced this one? Here is my situation... Set up some 44's with Krux bushings top and bottom and I skate them wobbly loose (nut even with kingpin top, basically one turn) and randomly I get a back to front " jump" or hiccup where it feels like the hanger pops forward or backward. It's more noticeable rolling fakie. Kingpin not loose and nothing bent. Bad pivot cup?

went from thunder 149s to ace 44s, skate 8.5. I haven't noticed anything off in terms of truck width. How does it bother you guys?

Mental/OCD

ditto... Cannot see trucks from above ( maybe a little wheel nut ) or I can't skate. Also trucks cannot be too small and go all magic carpet ride. Everything else in my little world I am ok with. Except colored wheels. And white dipped boards. And colored grip tape. And red top stains or blue bottom stains. Everything is ok.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • All we like to listen to is Barry Manilow.
« Reply #543 on: November 12, 2016, 03:17:05 PM »
I have to ask. What exactly is a "magic carpet ride" in that context? The picture is not strong enough for me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #544 on: November 12, 2016, 03:55:01 PM »
Board too wide for trucks......what's trucks too wide for board?  Hot rod? 

That one is worse......I've always just felt same width...if you're riding a wider board...you should have the stability of a wide truck....if you are riding a narrowe board....you don't want clunky trucks......so you ride the same width....

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #545 on: November 12, 2016, 04:11:01 PM »
Board too wide for trucks......what's trucks too wide for board?  Hot rod? 

Hot rod or tractor pull:

sufodiv

• Rep: -3
« Reply #546 on: November 16, 2016, 05:04:54 PM »

Mental/OCD

ditto... Cannot see trucks from above ( maybe a little wheel nut ) or I can't skate. Also trucks cannot be too small and go all magic carpet ride. Everything else in my little world I am ok with. Except colored wheels. And white dipped boards. And colored grip tape. And red top stains or blue bottom stains. Everything is ok.

I rode an 8.375 with 44s and hated it. 8.1/8.25 with 44s is ideal for me.

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #547 on: November 16, 2016, 09:32:01 PM »
44s on 8.18 is my new favourite combo.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #548 on: November 16, 2016, 09:51:23 PM »
44s on 8.18 is my new favourite combo.

I rocked that for while and was pleasantly surprised; couldn't even notice any axle nut overhang issue.

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #549 on: November 16, 2016, 10:29:11 PM »
I'm back on my second set of Aces. I went from Indy stage9's to Ace......wanted to try Indy stage 10's..... did..... and went back to Aces. It's like homecoming. I'll bounce from 8.25 to 8.38 with 44's and it works out dandy for me. I usually swap out to softer conical bushings but I'm almost thinking about going back to the stock ace bushings for a little more stability with the bottom barrel. (the older and heavier I get the less I need loose trucks I guess)

On both pairs I've had/currently have I always bend the axles a little but it doesn't bother me for some reason. If they could strengthen the axle without changing the hangar, that would be sick.

I like the way they look and its always cool to see some footy pop up with other ACE pilots.

They've been coming with smaller axle nuts that don't have the same plastic insert locking mechanism as before. It uses the same socket size as mounting hardware (10/32) and it IS still considered a "lock nut" just without the plastic. They're kinda cool just for flavor sake.

Your mom likes em'

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #550 on: November 19, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »
I'm back on my second set of Aces. I went from Indy stage9's to Ace......wanted to try Indy stage 10's..... did..... and went back to Aces. It's like homecoming. I'll bounce from 8.25 to 8.38 with 44's and it works out dandy for me. I usually swap out to softer conical bushings but I'm almost thinking about going back to the stock ace bushings for a little more stability with the bottom barrel. (the older and heavier I get the less I need loose trucks I guess)

On both pairs I've had/currently have I always bend the axles a little but it doesn't bother me for some reason. If they could strengthen the axle without changing the hangar, that would be sick.

I like the way they look and its always cool to see some footy pop up with other ACE pilots.

They've been coming with smaller axle nuts that don't have the same plastic insert locking mechanism as before. It uses the same socket size as mounting hardware (10/32) and it IS still considered a "lock nut" just without the plastic. They're kinda cool just for flavor sake.

Your mom likes em'

My guess is the alloy is just too soft, that's what the axle bends (not heard of the new designs bending yet); either get better alloy or give Ti Axles :P

Main

• Rep: -206
« Reply #551 on: November 19, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »
Someone claimed they've bent their newer designed Ace's but they haven't posted a picture yet. If it's you and you're reading this, do it.

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #552 on: April 02, 2017, 07:23:26 PM »
Hello fellow SLAP pals. I usually just post stuff for sale on here but wanted to chime in on these "38 specials" axle nuts Ace has been hyping up and give my personal experience. I noticed when I first put the wheel on and tightened down the nut I could barely go more than a couple small turns or else the wheel wouldn't even spin, yet the nut was barely on the axle. Right off the bat I thought something was wrong with these. However, what I ended up doing is tightening down the nut a whole lot, so it was showing 2-3 threads on the outside and the wheel definitely could not even move, then I loosened them up and everything went back to normal. The nut was on the axle properly and locked, and the wheel with the axle washers on both sides spun like it should and still had just that tiny bit of play which I always do. So I think people may be having issues with these new nuts falling off because they don't do the trick I discovered, therefore it never locks onto the axle properly. Hope this helps, I skated for a long time today and they did not come loose, they seem legit. However, if they do start coming loose after many sessions I will report back.

N.L.

« Reply #553 on: April 02, 2017, 07:41:45 PM »
What you did was squeeze the bearings in properly. I always do this so they sit right in the wheel. Another thing you could do is only use the outside washer. As Ace have the tapered hangar you don't need an inside washer. That will also give you more thread... Just a thought....

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 19
« Reply #554 on: April 03, 2017, 06:07:11 AM »
Someone claimed they've bent their newer designed Ace's but they haven't posted a picture yet. If it's you and you're reading this, do it.

I've had two sets of the redesign with no issue. Great trucks.

JAesop

« Reply #555 on: April 03, 2017, 06:19:57 AM »
On my third month of almost daily skating on the new ones, no problems. One of the wheel nuts worked loose and  flew off but I tightened it an extra half turn and it has been fine since. 

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #556 on: April 03, 2017, 09:04:37 AM »
What you did was squeeze the bearings in properly. I always do this so they sit right in the wheel. Another thing you could do is only use the outside washer. As Ace have the tapered hangar you don't need an inside washer. That will also give you more thread... Just a thought....
I was taught this as just a young little grom at my local shit hole skateshop....RIP shit hole skateshop, RIP.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #557 on: April 03, 2017, 04:06:25 PM »
While its being brought up i've had these .38 special axle nuts for over a month, purely a cosmetic upgrade but when i first put them on in comparison to the normal nuts that i had on my indys there was less room for wheel play, that little clack clack i like to have between hanger and nut, the only compromise i had to make to get these nuts on was take off an extra inner washer i had so the end of the axle poked through slightly, mines barely a thread down but they've stayed snug as anything. Brand new in the packet the nuts are oval in shape and when they're tightened down onto the axle they get pushed out to a rounder shape, im assuming this is their version of locking it in rather than using the nylock, im sold on these and will probably use them on every truck i set up from here on out, bonus is they just look cool against the wheel

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #558 on: April 03, 2017, 11:00:07 PM »
I've got Ace 55s with the 3/8 axle nuts on my cruiser right now. Threw my board down on the street a few weeks ago, wheel came off before my front foot even hit the board, ate shit and almost got run over by a bus.

I think the nut may not have been as tight as it could have but it definitely wasn't loose to the point where it should be falling off. I have them cranked down as far as I can now, fingers crossed that doesn't happen again. I'd like to think it was a freak accident because they do look quite cool compared to normal axle nuts.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #559 on: April 03, 2017, 11:12:16 PM »
If you took them on and off a few times...wouldn't the ovalness become ineffective?  Or strip your axel? 

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #560 on: April 04, 2017, 12:05:59 AM »
I have a set of 44s and 55s that came with the 3/8 nuts... standard replacement nuts are like $2.
you never know about pre-cum 

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #561 on: April 04, 2017, 02:34:52 AM »
My shop just put on regular nuts without me asking when I got my 44's.  They look out.

Thomas

• Rep: -1
  • no pop no style
« Reply #562 on: April 04, 2017, 06:49:28 AM »
I don't trust these .38 special nuts either.
I replaced them with standard nuts
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Jud Nestorkins

• Rep: -39
« Reply #563 on: April 22, 2017, 11:04:08 PM »
I've been skating Indys only for years but Aces have had me drooling for some time now. I.'m just  to pussy too pull the trigger and always end up getting Indys (which I love).

So how do these compare to Indys? Half of these posts make me want to go get some aces's asap and then the other half have me like, "Eh now I'm glad I've stuck with Indys."

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #564 on: April 22, 2017, 11:47:34 PM »
The turn is deeper and quicker but you still don't get wheelbite with 54 mm wheels. Just all around nicer than Indy I'd say. Indies are a bit more stable maybe, but I have nice middle stability with my Aces with the stock bottom and Bones medium top bushing.

I bought mine used from Main here on Slap. He had skated them with Bones hards bushings which don't sit too well apparently and the kingpins were loose, which was annoying. I epoxied them in place and haven't had any problems since. I dunno if the loose kingpin problem is something that happens with other bushing setups than full on Bones as mine are epoxied in place and will probably never come loose.

Indys aren't bad and Aces are somewhat hard to come by here in Finland so for example for my cruiser I got 159 Indys but if I could have found Ace 55s for the same price including shipping, I think I would have gone with those. It's a cruiser though, so it doesn't need to be as nimble as my other setups, so I think the Indys will work just fine on that.

Just get a pair. I'd be surprised if you don't like them.

Jud Nestorkins

• Rep: -39
« Reply #565 on: April 23, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
The turn is deeper and quicker but you still don't get wheelbite with 54 mm wheels. Just all around nicer than Indy I'd say. Indies are a bit more stable maybe, but I have nice middle stability with my Aces with the stock bottom and Bones medium top bushing.

I bought mine used from Main here on Slap. He had skated them with Bones hards bushings which don't sit too well apparently and the kingpins were loose, which was annoying. I epoxied them in place and haven't had any problems since. I dunno if the loose kingpin problem is something that happens with other bushing setups than full on Bones as mine are epoxied in place and will probably never come loose.

Indys aren't bad and Aces are somewhat hard to come by here in Finland so for example for my cruiser I got 159 Indys but if I could have found Ace 55s for the same price including shipping, I think I would have gone with those. It's a cruiser though, so it doesn't need to be as nimble as my other setups, so I think the Indys will work just fine on that.

Glad to hear they can still be somewhat stable. I had THeeve V1s which were basically aces and I loved the turn so much but I want to be able to roll and do a trick with thinking about it/trying to focus on being nimble if that makes sense.

Oh and if it helps,  I ride my trucks in between medium and floppy loose. Loose but when you turn the bard over and press all the way on a wheel it's about an inch or so from wheelbite.

DaveFuck

• Rep: 34
« Reply #566 on: April 23, 2017, 04:28:02 PM »

Glad to hear they can still be somewhat stable. I had THeeve V1s which were basically aces and I loved the turn so much but I want to be able to roll and do a trick with thinking about it/trying to focus on being nimble if that makes sense.

Oh and if it helps,  I ride my trucks in between medium and floppy loose. Loose but when you turn the bard over and press all the way on a wheel it's about an inch or so from wheelbite.
Get the aces ESPECIALLY since you ride loose trucks. You will be in heaven (try some krux bushings also if you can get your hands on em)

Vitriol

• Rep: 17
« Reply #567 on: April 24, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »
Get the aces ESPECIALLY since you ride loose trucks. You will be in heaven (try some krux bushings also if you can get your hands on em)

Hey, I see people recommending krux bushings all the time with them, but could you be more specific on what they do bring to the table?
I ride ace 44s gen 1 stock on an 8.25, with the nut flush on the kingpin and they feel REAL good even from the start (i'm about ~65kg also, so i guess pretty average weight).
I believe the top and lower ace bushings are different duros as well as they aren't exactly the same color (don't even look to be made out of the same urethane if that makes sense).
So, are krux softer? or is it something else ?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #568 on: April 24, 2017, 10:22:33 AM »
At least stock Krux bushings are much softer than Ace bushings. Haven't tried the aftermarket ones but I absolutely hated the stock Krux bushings I tried in my Aces. I know I'm rather alone with that opinion though. I'm a big guy and I like stability AND a nice deep turn that doesn't take too much effort. So, I'm not one of those loose as fuck ppls.  :)

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #569 on: April 24, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »

Hey, I see people recommending krux bushings all the time with them, but could you be more specific on what they do bring to the table?
I ride ace 44s gen 1 stock on an 8.25, with the nut flush on the kingpin and they feel REAL good even from the start (i'm about ~65kg also, so i guess pretty average weight).
I believe the top and lower ace bushings are different duros as well as they aren't exactly the same color (don't even look to be made out of the same urethane if that makes sense).
So, are krux softer? or is it something else ?
Krux are softer and the top bushing is a little bit shorter. So you can tighten your nut down enough to keep it from falling off while not making your trucks get tighter.