Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739038 times)

Andmoreagain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 51
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #540 on: April 03, 2017, 06:07:11 AM »
Someone claimed they've bent their newer designed Ace's but they haven't posted a picture yet. If it's you and you're reading this, do it.

I've had two sets of the redesign with no issue. Great trucks.

JAesop

« Reply #541 on: April 03, 2017, 06:19:57 AM »
On my third month of almost daily skating on the new ones, no problems. One of the wheel nuts worked loose and  flew off but I tightened it an extra half turn and it has been fine since. 

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #542 on: April 03, 2017, 09:04:37 AM »
What you did was squeeze the bearings in properly. I always do this so they sit right in the wheel. Another thing you could do is only use the outside washer. As Ace have the tapered hangar you don't need an inside washer. That will also give you more thread... Just a thought....
I was taught this as just a young little grom at my local shit hole skateshop....RIP shit hole skateshop, RIP.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #543 on: April 03, 2017, 04:06:25 PM »
While its being brought up i've had these .38 special axle nuts for over a month, purely a cosmetic upgrade but when i first put them on in comparison to the normal nuts that i had on my indys there was less room for wheel play, that little clack clack i like to have between hanger and nut, the only compromise i had to make to get these nuts on was take off an extra inner washer i had so the end of the axle poked through slightly, mines barely a thread down but they've stayed snug as anything. Brand new in the packet the nuts are oval in shape and when they're tightened down onto the axle they get pushed out to a rounder shape, im assuming this is their version of locking it in rather than using the nylock, im sold on these and will probably use them on every truck i set up from here on out, bonus is they just look cool against the wheel

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #544 on: April 03, 2017, 11:00:07 PM »
I've got Ace 55s with the 3/8 axle nuts on my cruiser right now. Threw my board down on the street a few weeks ago, wheel came off before my front foot even hit the board, ate shit and almost got run over by a bus.

I think the nut may not have been as tight as it could have but it definitely wasn't loose to the point where it should be falling off. I have them cranked down as far as I can now, fingers crossed that doesn't happen again. I'd like to think it was a freak accident because they do look quite cool compared to normal axle nuts.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #545 on: April 03, 2017, 11:12:16 PM »
If you took them on and off a few times...wouldn't the ovalness become ineffective?  Or strip your axel? 

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #546 on: April 04, 2017, 12:05:59 AM »
I have a set of 44s and 55s that came with the 3/8 nuts... standard replacement nuts are like $2.
you never know about pre-cum 

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #547 on: April 04, 2017, 02:34:52 AM »
My shop just put on regular nuts without me asking when I got my 44's.  They look out.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #548 on: April 04, 2017, 06:49:28 AM »
I don't trust these .38 special nuts either.
I replaced them with standard nuts
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #549 on: April 22, 2017, 11:04:08 PM »
I've been skating Indys only for years but Aces have had me drooling for some time now. I.'m just  to pussy too pull the trigger and always end up getting Indys (which I love).

So how do these compare to Indys? Half of these posts make me want to go get some aces's asap and then the other half have me like, "Eh now I'm glad I've stuck with Indys."

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #550 on: April 22, 2017, 11:47:34 PM »
The turn is deeper and quicker but you still don't get wheelbite with 54 mm wheels. Just all around nicer than Indy I'd say. Indies are a bit more stable maybe, but I have nice middle stability with my Aces with the stock bottom and Bones medium top bushing.

I bought mine used from Main here on Slap. He had skated them with Bones hards bushings which don't sit too well apparently and the kingpins were loose, which was annoying. I epoxied them in place and haven't had any problems since. I dunno if the loose kingpin problem is something that happens with other bushing setups than full on Bones as mine are epoxied in place and will probably never come loose.

Indys aren't bad and Aces are somewhat hard to come by here in Finland so for example for my cruiser I got 159 Indys but if I could have found Ace 55s for the same price including shipping, I think I would have gone with those. It's a cruiser though, so it doesn't need to be as nimble as my other setups, so I think the Indys will work just fine on that.

Just get a pair. I'd be surprised if you don't like them.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #551 on: April 23, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
The turn is deeper and quicker but you still don't get wheelbite with 54 mm wheels. Just all around nicer than Indy I'd say. Indies are a bit more stable maybe, but I have nice middle stability with my Aces with the stock bottom and Bones medium top bushing.

I bought mine used from Main here on Slap. He had skated them with Bones hards bushings which don't sit too well apparently and the kingpins were loose, which was annoying. I epoxied them in place and haven't had any problems since. I dunno if the loose kingpin problem is something that happens with other bushing setups than full on Bones as mine are epoxied in place and will probably never come loose.

Indys aren't bad and Aces are somewhat hard to come by here in Finland so for example for my cruiser I got 159 Indys but if I could have found Ace 55s for the same price including shipping, I think I would have gone with those. It's a cruiser though, so it doesn't need to be as nimble as my other setups, so I think the Indys will work just fine on that.

Glad to hear they can still be somewhat stable. I had THeeve V1s which were basically aces and I loved the turn so much but I want to be able to roll and do a trick with thinking about it/trying to focus on being nimble if that makes sense.

Oh and if it helps,  I ride my trucks in between medium and floppy loose. Loose but when you turn the bard over and press all the way on a wheel it's about an inch or so from wheelbite.

thebacker

« Reply #552 on: April 23, 2017, 04:28:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Glad to hear they can still be somewhat stable. I had THeeve V1s which were basically aces and I loved the turn so much but I want to be able to roll and do a trick with thinking about it/trying to focus on being nimble if that makes sense.

Oh and if it helps,  I ride my trucks in between medium and floppy loose. Loose but when you turn the bard over and press all the way on a wheel it's about an inch or so from wheelbite.
Get the aces ESPECIALLY since you ride loose trucks. You will be in heaven (try some krux bushings also if you can get your hands on em)

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #553 on: April 24, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »
Get the aces ESPECIALLY since you ride loose trucks. You will be in heaven (try some krux bushings also if you can get your hands on em)

Hey, I see people recommending krux bushings all the time with them, but could you be more specific on what they do bring to the table?
I ride ace 44s gen 1 stock on an 8.25, with the nut flush on the kingpin and they feel REAL good even from the start (i'm about ~65kg also, so i guess pretty average weight).
I believe the top and lower ace bushings are different duros as well as they aren't exactly the same color (don't even look to be made out of the same urethane if that makes sense).
So, are krux softer? or is it something else ?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #554 on: April 24, 2017, 10:22:33 AM »
At least stock Krux bushings are much softer than Ace bushings. Haven't tried the aftermarket ones but I absolutely hated the stock Krux bushings I tried in my Aces. I know I'm rather alone with that opinion though. I'm a big guy and I like stability AND a nice deep turn that doesn't take too much effort. So, I'm not one of those loose as fuck ppls.  :)

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #555 on: April 24, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hey, I see people recommending krux bushings all the time with them, but could you be more specific on what they do bring to the table?
I ride ace 44s gen 1 stock on an 8.25, with the nut flush on the kingpin and they feel REAL good even from the start (i'm about ~65kg also, so i guess pretty average weight).
I believe the top and lower ace bushings are different duros as well as they aren't exactly the same color (don't even look to be made out of the same urethane if that makes sense).
So, are krux softer? or is it something else ?
Krux are softer and the top bushing is a little bit shorter. So you can tighten your nut down enough to keep it from falling off while not making your trucks get tighter.

Vitriol

« Reply #556 on: April 24, 2017, 02:50:29 PM »
Mucho thanks for the info guys, makes sense.
Might be worth considering as my nuts are moving during sessions on my last pair, maybe i didn't thread enough nylock this time, but i don't like the idea of tightening them more.
Then again when i go fast (ok, it's not that often!) things can get pretty wild, so i don't know about going any softer.
I'll probably just grab a small tube of loctite somewhere.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #557 on: April 26, 2017, 10:21:03 AM »
Might be worth considering as my nuts are moving during sessions on my last pair, maybe i didn't thread enough nylock this time, but i don't like the idea of tightening them more.
Then again when i go fast (ok, it's not that often!) things can get pretty wild, so i don't know about going any softer.

https://shop.lululemon.com/p/men-underwear/Lock-Em-Down-Boxer/_/prod6020407

Vitriol

« Reply #558 on: April 26, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://shop.lululemon.com/p/men-underwear/Lock-Em-Down-Boxer/_/prod6020407
Good call!!!  ;D
I actually use loose boxers cause i like some bagginess down there, but my buddy swears by tight ones, avoids accidents he says.
He rides tighter trucks too, so maybe there's a correlation somewhere...?!

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #559 on: May 05, 2017, 02:18:55 AM »
Just ordered an 8.625 deck and Ace 44s. It says here that 44s are good for decks up to 8.75. I normally ride between 8.3-8.5 decks but I love the deck I bought and it was an 8.625.

Do you think this will be weird or should I have gotten 55's. Would using a couple extra spacers help at all?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #560 on: May 05, 2017, 02:54:51 AM »
Just ordered an 8.625 deck and Ace 44s. It says here that 44s are good for decks up to 8.75. I normally ride between 8.3-8.5 decks but I love the deck I bought and it was an 8.625.

Do you think this will be weird or should I have gotten 55's. Would using a couple extra spacers help at all?

That football shape Zero? Probably tapers down more than a regular deck, so you're probably golden with the 44s.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #561 on: May 05, 2017, 03:35:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That football shape Zero? Probably tapers down more than a regular deck, so you're probably golden with the 44s.
Yeah that's the deck lol and okay. I'll probably be fine.

However when I tried ordering it on my computer, the site said they were 8.25 trucks and would let me put them with that deck but when I ordered from my iPad it works just fine.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #562 on: May 05, 2017, 06:45:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

However when I tried ordering it on my computer, the site said they were 8.25 trucks and would let me put them with that deck but when I ordered from my iPad it works just fine.

Skate warehouse complete builder? Sounds like it...doesn't let you put crazy combos together, e.g., 7.5" deck and ACE 55s.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #563 on: May 05, 2017, 06:54:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Skate warehouse complete builder? Sounds like it...doesn't let you put crazy combos together, e.g., 7.5" deck and ACE 55s.
Yeah I ordered from SW.

N.L.

« Reply #564 on: May 05, 2017, 08:19:20 AM »

it will be totally fine, no matter the deck shape. The Ace axles will be an 1/8" shorter each side of the deck. Like riding 149s and an 8.75". If you're that concerned add more washers to push the wheels further out a bit.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #565 on: May 05, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »

I had an 8.62 anti hero on my ace 44s for a lil bit, felt fine honestly, didn't notice anything off. Like others have said, if it bothers you, you can always put more washers on the inside side of the wheel to push them out a little bit more, I think ace axles are slightly longer than normal ones anyway.

Diocletian

« Reply #566 on: May 05, 2017, 07:20:48 PM »
Does anyone know if a "high" hanger can sit on a "low" Ace baseplate as long as I swap the kingpin out to a "high" one or a Krux pin? Or is the "low" baseplate a different geometry that can't fit "high" hangers?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #567 on: May 05, 2017, 07:58:35 PM »
Does anyone know if a "high" hanger can sit on a "low" Ace baseplate as long as I swap the kingpin out to a "high" one or a Krux pin? Or is the "low" baseplate a different geometry that can't fit "high" hangers?

I don't think they do unfortunately.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 02:19:00 AM by tzhangdox »

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #568 on: May 14, 2017, 04:11:59 AM »
Not my pic but this is gnarly and since people always say that Aces have the worst piviot cups known to man I thought it'd be cool to post.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #569 on: May 22, 2017, 12:37:24 AM »
Started to have axle slip on both trucks this weekend after 1 year of use.
Switched to new hangers, hope I'm good for one more year.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.